New York Giants Once Offered Chip Kelly an Offensive Quality-Control Job

January 25th, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Chip Kelly will make his NFL debut next season as head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles. However, Kelly's NFL career nearly started much sooner, albeit it in a smaller capacity. In 2006, prior to taking over as offensive coordinator of the Oregon Ducks, Kelly was offered, and strongly considered, an offensive quality-control position with the New York Giants.

"One was to be quarterbacks coach and assistant offensive coordinator at Connecticut. The next, offered the year before he took the Oregon job, came from New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin – a quality-control job, at least to start. Both places were intrigued by the success of Kelly's fast-paced spread offense, yet the job descriptions seemed a hedged bet," the Philadelphia Inquirer reports.

Kelly's good friend, Sean McDonnell, says that although both offers were intriguing, he just "wasn't comfortable" accepting either at the time. Instead, he signed on with Oregon and within two years became their head coach. The rest, as they say, is history.

Still, it's interesting to hear that Tom Coughlin, an old school football coach who shies away from trick plays and gimmick offenses, was intrigued with Kelly's resume enough to consider him for a job. And not just a casual assistants job, but one that had the opportunity for promotion – possibly even as high as offensive coordinator.

Alas, what's done is done. The Giants have Kevin Gilbride calling the plays, while the Eagles now have Kelly as their head coach. Still, we won't be able to stop Giants fans from dreaming about all the "what ifs."

Tags: Chip Kelly, Football, Kevin Gilbride, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Philadelphia, Philadelphia Eagles, Tom Coughlin

12 Responses to “New York Giants Once Offered Chip Kelly an Offensive Quality-Control Job”

What’s ironic for all the complaints about Gillbride is he has been a Kelly like innovator. But now he’s just considered old and conservative. While he might not be an innovator any more I think he’s less conservative than the general perception.

I never knew he invented the run-and-shoot. Anything since the 1990′s? Something a little more recent?

I don’t know if he invented but he first introduced it in the NFL as a main offense. Really innovations only happen once a decade or so. When was the last real innovation before the Pistol? Most of modern offense is just tweaks and player driven like with TEs from older offense. What Houston and Buffalo ran 20 years ago really isn’t much different than modern day offense before the Pistol and zone read stuff.

•  sonnymooks says:

He didn’t invent nor innovate the run and shoot, Mouse Davis and June Jones were the guys behind that in the 90′s. Gilbride was brought into the Houston Oilers with the run and shoot already there, and took over playcalling duties.

He didn’t really “innovate” that system, oddly, the system seems to change away from his style of playcalling later on (it started becoming less vertical and more west coast like), but that may have had more to do with greater playcalling roles being given to Warren Moon and then Cody Carlson.

That said, the main evangelical of the run and shoot was Mouse Davis, who spread it, the oilers and the Lions and the Falcons all ran that system, and all ran basically the same version of the system, with little variation and only subtle differances to account for personale.

Buffalo with its K-Gun offense is the ancestor to what Peyton Manning was running in Indy and now Denver.

Gilbride didn’t use zone reads per say, though his version requires reads by both the QB and the WR, something that is more often found in WCOs, but he did make his more complex and vertical.

Now I recall that Mouse Davis was known to be the the run & shoot creator much like Ault is now with the Pistol. June Jones and Gillbride were basically started running it at the same time in the NFL, I think Detriot was more tweaked since they had Barry Sanders. With Houston and Moon, Gillbride had a little more success than Jones. But still Gillbride was at the forefront of trying the offense in the NFL which was looked upon as something that couldn’t work at the time. I believe the same WR type of reads were in his run and shoot, I’m not sure those were in others.

•  sonnymooks says:

Sorry, I forgot to mention Jerry Glanville, who used the run and shoot wherever he went, he was the one who brought in Gilbride, but the run and shoot offense and system was already there when Gilbride was hired as QB coach, and then later promoted to OC.

Gilbride did NOT spread or innovate or create or introduce the run and shoot offense into the NFL.

When he got his own HC job, his team didn’t use it.

•  sonnymooks says:

Detroit, used the purest form of the Run and Shoot, aka “the silver stretch”, they utilized barry sanders a hell of lot though. Personally, I think Gilbride was a better coach then June Jones, but June Jones was more innovative and creative then Gilbride.

Gilbride is more about execution while Jones was more about trying to outsmart everyone.

Mouse davis is really the godfather of the run and shoot, I’m not sure if him and Gilbride though ever really had any kind of relationship.

Brandon Jacobs has no regrets over 49ers tenure

Instead of heading to New Orleans next week to play in the Super Bowl, Brandon Jacobs will have to watch on television as his former teammates take the field to play the Baltimore Ravens next Sunday.

Jacobs was suspended for the remainder of the regular season for conduct detrimental to the team in December and then released at the start of the postseason.

But Jacobs doesn’t regret his time with San Francisco and is still rooting for his former team to win the Super Bowl.

“My emotions are I want the 49ers to win the game,” Jacobs said, via Mike Garafolo of the USA Today. “I don’t have any regrets about not being there whatsoever. I don’t feel like I should’ve done things differently. I don’t feel anything else. I’m a hundred percent happy where I am.”

Jacobs voiced his frustration with the 49ers on a handful of occasions before being removed from the roster in December. He was suspended for conduct detrimental to the team after airing his frustrations on Twitter.

“I didn’t mean to disrespect anybody or hurt anybody’s feelings,” Jacobs said. “I didn’t have any disrespect. I didn’t mean to do any of that. I was told I would get some of the pie and I didn’t. That kind of made me a little upset and made me snap.”

Jacobs was inactive for most of the season before an injury to Kendall Hunter finally got him some playing time late in the year. He was active for two games and carried the ball just five times for seven yards.