New York Giants 2013 NFL Draft Profile: Alec Ogletree

January 25th, 2013 at 4:30 PM
By Paul Tierney

The New York Giants defense failed at every single level in 2012. The defensive ends were unable to get to the passer, the middle of the defense was soft and the secondary had issues all season in coverage. Unless the Giants were able to force their opponents into turnovers, the team was virtually incapable of defending their opponent. Although Georgia inside linebacker Alec Ogletree would not solve all of the Giants issues, he would serve as a versatile defender in the middle of the defense.

Ogletree is capable of lining up anywhere on the field. Think of him as the opposite of Mathias Kiwanuka. Kiwanuka, who was drafted as a defensive end, but he is still versatile enough to be a relatively productive linebacker as well. In comparison, Ogletree is primarily a linebacker; however, he still has the speed and athleticism to line up as an edge pass rusher. His 6'3", 232 pound frame makes him a daunting presence in the middle. His speed makes him able more than capable of guarding tight ends and backs out of the backfield. Although he missed four games this season, Ogletree still had 13 more tackles than any other player on the Bulldog's roster.

Furthermore, Ogletree would solve a lot of the Giants problems on defense. Towards the end of 2012, the Giants were getting gashed by interior runs. The defensive tackles were weak at the point of attack, while Chase Blackburn was getting consistently washed out by lead blockers. Ogletree is a far superior athlete to Blackburn and would help deter opponents from running up the middle of the defense. By deterring opponents from running the football, the Giants pass rush will have more opportunities to get to the quarterback.

Furthermore, by having a speedy linebacker in the middle of the field who can play either man or zone coverage, Ogletree could act as an antidote to the short, quick passes that opponents love to throw against the Giants. No longer would receivers be able to beat the Giants linebackers to the middle of the field, or tight ends to the sideline. Ogletree would help the Justin Tuck and Jason Pierre-Paul focus on getting to the quarterback, which could transform this defense back into the unit we saw at the end of 2011.

Due to his versatility and sky-high potential, it's questionable whether Ogletree falls to the Giants at No.19. Currently, he's the third best linebacker prospect in the draft behind Jarvis Jones and Manti Te'o. However, Ogletree has more than enough time to make his case to be taken ahead of Te'o. If Ogletree does leapfrog Te'o on draft boards around the league, the Giants will likely have to look elsewhere with their first-round selection.

Alec Ogletree is the kind of player that can be inserted into the Giants defense right away. He's not going to need a redshirt year to learn the scheme. He's athletic enough to play on nearly every defense in the NFL. Ogletree played his entire career in the SEC, which will only add to his NFL readiness. If the Giants are serious about improving their defense, drafting Ogletree would be a great way to start.

Tags: Alec Ogletree, Chase Blackburn, Football, Georgia, Mathias Kiwanuka, New York, New York Giants, NFL

22 Responses to “New York Giants 2013 NFL Draft Profile: Alec Ogletree”

Need it or not … he’ll get a redshirt year.

•  Begiant says:

Like Greg Jones

oh wait…

•  giantsou812 says:

He would be a weakside linebacker in the NFL.
      Linebacker is not a need for the giants, With the injurys and age in the secondary we need an NFL ready corner with the first pick.

F55 –

I agree with everything you said except you included June Jones. How is Jones any more of an innovator than Gillbribe? Or did you mean Mouse Davis generally credited with creating the run and shoot?

But anyway my original point was that Gillbride has some of that outside the box thinking in his past. Maybe he lost it i don’t know. But I was impressed by the new wringles I saw week 17. I know many wonder what took him so long but with so many years of success it might have taken falling flat on their face like we did vs ATL and Bal to create some change.

In the name of Norm, this is my outside the box pick for JR this year’s draft. I think one think we have been focused on in recent years is speed and high upside players. Ogletree fits both at a position of extreme need. I know LB much like RB is a position we haven’t pick a first rounder in years in but I think if he’s available there’s a good chance he’s the pick. Because need is a real part of JR’s decision with draft picks, contrary to popular belief.

•  Hanshi says:

I agree that JR goes with need more than most people seem to realize. He goes BPA in a position of need.

4.  TonyMW says:

Weird. This dude is built just like a big WR. Definitely has some speed though.

5.  TroyThorne says:

Can’t say I ever see Ogletree lining up with his hand in the dirt. At 235 pounds he’s undersized for an ILB let alone a DE. Plus it takes away his greatest strength which is his incredible range.

I like him a lot as a prospect though.

He’s young. Like Wilson he’s a 3rd year junior so I think he could continue to fill out. Guys like him sometimes fill out by combine time. But he seems to have the frame to pretty easily handle more weight. He will still be only 21 when the season starts.

•  TroyThorne says:

I’m well aware of that but I don’t think he’ll ever see any snaps at DE. I think he’ll always be a bit on the lighter side anyway since his speed, range, and athleticism are his strong points. Regardless, my point is I don’t think it’s accurate to point out versatility as a realistic possibility for him (unless you’re talking about him being able to play ILB or OLB).

A common thread I notice between our last 5 first rounders is that each player was either a junior or a senior that didn’t readshirt. Meaning we after younger players with upside. I’m thinking that trend will continue.

I cannot see him as a Giant. Someone will pick him in the first round and it should not be us. Perhaps if he gains 15 solid pounds between now and the Combine, but at the moment he just doesn’t look like the solution in the middle that Paul describes. We can easily keep Rivers if we wish and between he, Williams and Paysinger I think we have whatever Ogletree can bring to the party. each of them can be sideline-to-sideline LBers and each can cover receivers. What they are NOT great at is playing against the run inside the hash marks, simple because they aren’t big enough.

We’d be far better off looking elsewhere for help. Given the number of outstanding corners and defensive and offensive linemen available at #19 I cannot believe Reese will choose a linebacker unless Jarvis Jones were to drop. Even then, I’d rather get a guy in the 3rd or 4th round to compete for that spot.

•  TroyThorne says:

Rivers can’t be relied on to stay healthy as he’s yet to do so throughout his entire career. Maybe he can suddenly stop getting hurt but it’s highly unlikely at this point. He is what he is, a talented LB who can’t stay on the field.

I like Williams a lot but he’s certainly no guarantee. He came in as a raw guy with potential (who is much lighter than Ogletree) and basically got no experience this season. I was impressed with what he did his rookie year but it’s still a mystery on whether or not he’ll progress past what we saw. Paysinger is a complete non-factor when it comes to determining whether or not we’ll draft a LB early. He’s a decent special teams player and overall completely replaceable.

Not saying we should draft Ogletree if he’s available, just playing a little devil’s advocate.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

i could have sworn a few threads back you drooling over this guy.

BBG, if you’re talking ’bout me, no. I want a MIKE, not another OLBer unless he’s a complete stud and I don’t see this kid as that. Unless he fills out quickly I just don’t see a place for him.

Troy, we couldn’t “count” on Ogletree since no one has seen him play against NFL players yet and when they played ‘Bama, the closest thing to NFL offensive linemen and running backs he saw, he was by no means dominant.

I like Williams too….as a WILL. I think Paysinger is a lot better than you do. Kid is a playmaker and that is rare. He may have a future as an OLBer for the Giants. But both he and Williams are outside guys. I think Ogletree is too. one of the reasons I don’t think we’ll draft him (unless, as I’ve said, he has gained 15 pounds, or at least 10, prior to the Combine).

I’m going to repeat myself here: the way to championships is to build the “core” of your team, defined as a franchise quarterback, the offensive line, and the defensive line.

The Giants appear to have needs in both lines. I would worry about those needs long before I’d worry about any other possible choice in this draft (save a potentially great corner if one is there at #19).

I will be shocked if Reese selects anyone other than a corner, an offensive lineman, or a defensive lineman with that #19 pick.

9.  GmenMania says:

I was beating the Ogletree drum a couple of days ago. But after watching that video, and a couple more, he doesn’t look all that impressive. Looks like a poor form tackler, of which we have too many. He just doesn’t look like he’s big enough to be that dominating presence between the hashes that we so desperately need.

10.  TroyThorne says:

Like I said before, I expect Ogletree to always be on the lighter side for a LB but to be fair and impartial, he’s only been at LB for two years. He was brought in, and originally played as, a safety.

Also, just because you’re not a big thumper doesn’t mean you can’t be a very good LB in this league. Both Sean Weatherspoon and Bruce Carter are the same size as Ogletree and both are very good players who share a lot of similarities with him (though I think Carter is a better athlete and Spoon has better intangibles). I don’t think he did bad against ‘Bama at all. Wasn’t dominant but not everyone can be every single game. He showed his great range, made some nice tackles down the LOS, and stuffed Lacy at the goal line (which is no easy task).

ff55 – Technically, we can’t “count” on any of the players coming out in the draft because none of them have faced an NFL team. You can’t go in with that attitude though or else you’d just trade all your picks and sign established FAs every year.

•  Paul Tierney says:

This kis is very young and as you said, he hasn’t been at linebacker very long. He’s still filling out and if he gets the right training I don’t see why he can’t bulk up before the start of next season. I think he’s a viable option on the inside, even more so than Te’o.