January 18th, 2013 at 11:00 AM

A lot was made over Chris Snee's decision to delay surgery and play in the 2013 Pro Bowl. Whether the surgery is considered "minor" or not, those on the outside looking in have openly and publicly questioned his decision. But for the New York Giants veteran guard, the decision was an easy one to make, and his family was the only thing he took into consideration.

“The experiences that I’ve had with my kids and my wife and just meeting all the guys; it’s something I couldn’t pass up on. You only get so many of those opportunities in life and I’m going to cherish every one of them," Snee told Giants.com. "With the experience that I have with my kids, I can put off the surgery for three or four weeks. That’s what this life is about. I’m going to go out there; we’re going to have something we can remember forever."

Although the decision to play in the Pro Bowl was an easy one, continuing his football career is another story. Snee revealed on Thursday that retirement has been a consideration each of the last two years, and that he's working on a year-by-year basis at this point.

“Right now my mindset is year-to-year. That’s all you can focus on. I sat down with my wife after this year and decided if I wanted to do it again. It’s a grind. There’s a lot that goes into it mentally and physically, but I couldn’t see myself walking away just yet," Snee said. "If they want me back, I’ll be here in 2013."

Snee acknowledges that he and his wife, Kate, have discussed his future in the NFL each of the last two years, so time is, indeed, winding down for the three-time All Pro. He turns 31-years-old today and may be entering his final NFL season in 2013.

Tags: Chris Snee, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL

29 Responses to “Giants’ Chris Snee Addresses His Decision to Play in Pro Bowl; Says He’s Taking Career Year-to-Year”

1.  kujo says:

Snee will wrap up his career in the next 2-4 years, raise his kids for a few years, and then probably get in to coaching. I said it last night–assuming this hip flexor doesn’t become a nagging injury, we should see Snee return to being a very good guard. He may not be the All Pro he once was, but he’ll still be the best offensive lineman we have not named Beatty.

The question marks to his immediate right and his left are worrisome. Similar to how I felt about the linebackers going into last season, we have a bevy of “could be’s” on our depth chart. Guys like Brewer, Cordle, Mosley and McCants could very well be players for us. There’s no reason to suspect that at least 1 of those guys won’t be a starter next year, and if they aren’t, then that will be a GIGANTIC blow to the perception of Jerry Reese. His draft philosophy vis a vis offensive linemen is clear–draft them low, develop them over the course of 2-3 years, profit. We’re told to Keep Calm and Trust Reese, but if this dismal year isn’t corrected immediately, it’ll be time for serious questions to be directed towards the way he’s allowed this unit to disintegrate while his efforts have, to date, failed. Ditto for the linebackers.

Mosley missed the season thanks to injury, so I doubt he’s ready for much but a deep spot on the depth chart. McCants was a project who probably needs at least another year. If Brewer doesn’t come up big then Reese has made a big mistake (along with Coughlin and Flaherty, who had to have had plenty of influence on any of those picks). Cordle? Maybe, but despite what everyone seems to think I still believe Baas is a pretty good player and will be very good this season. Cordle’s best shot is if they cannot retain Boothe.

2.  BigBlueGiant says:

repost:

BigBlueGiant says:
    January 18, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Eagles best bet if that can’t land that OT from Texas A&M which they probably won’t is to trade back.

This draft is REALLY thin at the top. There are no QB’s really worthy of a top 5 selection IMO. Yeah, Geno Smith…Whatever, but I think we’re gonna see him slip out of the top 5.

It sounds cliche, but i think the Giants are drafting a DE. iF Ezikial Ansah is still around at 19, that’s our guy. Bet that one. But his stock has been climbing as of late and after the combine im sure it will even more.

Hey, just think how Vontaze Burfict would have helped out LB’ing core this year if we took a shot at him in the 6th or 7th round instead of Matt McCants ( THIS WAS A JOKE DEMO).
    kujo says:
    January 18, 2013 at 11:04 AM

You shouldn’t hide behind humor–you were dead on correct about him. Beat the snot out of Demo for it because you KNOW he’d do the same to you.
    BigBlueGiant says:
    January 18, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Demo knows that Burfict was gonna be a very good player in the league. He breaks my balls BC I jokingly said something about us blowing the season to draft him early in the 1st.

That said, Vontaze had the last laugh, and i’m sure Mike Mayock won’t want to bump into Mr. Burfict anytime soon for costing him tons of money in the draft. Almost killed the kids career.

•  sonnymooks says:

I wanted him, badly, I thought we should have drafted him in the 6th or 7th round. That said, it wasn’t just Mayock who knocked him, so did Kiper and then there was a big bandwagon. Never the less, I said it before, I’ll say it again, players who are headcases because they are to intense and have to much passion are the kinds of headcases that can be coached and directed. He didn’t have off the field issues, he had an insane work ethic, and loved football, was/is obsessed with football. Thats EXACTLY the kind of problems you want a football player to have.

BBG –

I think Spurier showed everyone that a college offense doesn’t work in the NFL. But there are elements that can add innovation. I think what Kelly will bring is the the offense but great execution and speed with which plays can be done. If he can get college kids to run plays that fast imagine what he could do NFL wise? It will be interesting but a real innovator is not married to one way to play and I see Kelly as an innovator.

Also, I don’t think Philly is in nearly as bad as shape as many think. The atmosphere around Philly was so horrible that it caused their season to be worse that it should have been. They return many of the injured players they lost including Peters (one of the best LTs in the game) and several other OL starters that were out for the year. We all know they have the skill positions, the main question is at QB. Their defense has talent, especially in the front 7. They probably keep DRC, cut NA and draft another young CB. Philly still could struggle but I woudn’t automatically count them out for 2013 yet.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Peters wasn’t the same player once he left buffalo. But they’re o-line killed them this yea.

But i agree, I dont think they’re in that bad of shape as people think as well.

•  sonnymooks says:

Kelly is more personale then people realize, you are NOT going to see the same college scheme in the NFL. Kellys entire history has been about adapting to what he has.

That said, certain elements will stay the same, the fast tempo, aggressive playcalling, and a heavy emphasis on speed, absolute speed. Everything else is up in the air, and will probably be very similiar to Belicheck.

re-post:

Again, just to be clear. What Kelly absolutely WILL do is run a “speed offense” by which I mean a spread that makes use of quick play calls, lots of snaps, no-huddles or very short huddles, etc. Kelly is where Belichick got the Patriots’ new offense from after consulting with him. Whether he has a mobile quarterback or not (I don’t think anyone will argue that Tom Brady is mobile, but that offensive system has killed a lot of NFL defenses this season), that system will work against a team that is not properly prepared or has the wrong personnel.

Stanford beat Kelly’s offense this season for four reasons. First, they played smash-mouth football on both sides of the ball and pushed the Oregon offensive line back on most plays, making the read-option useless because the quarterback didn’t have enough time to read much before making a decision; and keeping the ball from the fast offense by having a number of long drives driven by an overpowering offensive line that allowed for a strong running game. Second, their corners played very aggressively, making the short passes tough to complete while the linebackers played very well against crossing routes and didn’t allow a ton of YAC. Third, after four years of playing against that offense the Stanford staff and the many seniors on the team were very familiar with it and had some excellent “tells” that they used to know when the Ducks were going to try and go deep over the top of the defense. Fourth, the Stanford defensive players were used to playing most of the snaps and that team doesn’t use as many “special situation” players as do most NFL teams. The defensive front seven, in particular, is very fit and can play all night without many subs, and the rotations are usually by series, not play.

But the real keys were beating the hell out of Kelly’s team in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Stanford’s defense was very good up the middle, and their offensive line dominated the Oregon defense all game. All the adjustments that teams make to the “fast offense” won’t matter if they cannot dominate in the trenches. As I’ve said many times, the “core” of the team is the O-line, the D-line and the quarterback. You’d better be strong in all three or these new offenses ARE going to damage you.

Kujo-

I agree the rookies may have been successful late in the year because of how TC brought them along. Maybe playing them earlier would have worked better but not a given at all. My point is the young players we are likely counting on are mostly 3rd year guys so they just need to play. The example I should have used is Beatty. I think that’s what you hope for with guys like Paysinger, Williams, Herzlich, Brown, Brewer, etc. if they get a starting chance in 2013.

I suspect there’s a very good chance that Mosley was drafted to be Snee’s replacement in 2014-2015. Obviously, TC was privy to all of Snee’s discussions with his family, so we have to assume that Reese knew he needed some players who would study and practice for a few years and then take that RG spot. I’m sure they were very disappointed that Mosley lost a year of practice, but I have to believe he has become familiar with the system and knows the plays now.

McCants was a “project” whom they hope will someday compete for a tackle position with Beatty and Brewer.

They will be drafting an offensive lineman (or two) this April whom they hope will take starting spots in 2015.

•  kujo says:

If they continue this 2-3 year wait mentality with the OL, we will continue to be just below average. Period.

Hey, I agree. I think strengthening that core I always talk about is the only way to really build the team back up for a championship run. They SHOULD get both a defensive tackle and an offensive lineman in March/April who just might be capable of starting at some point in 2013, preferably early. But “should” doesn’t mean they will.

This draft IS deep in offensive linemen, so we should get a few good ones, but I’d like one absolute stud who could be run behind all day and also protect Eli. We do not have that guy on the roster unless it turns out Brewer or Mosley is him.

We definitely need a linebacker and a corner as well. I’m hoping we can sign the former in free agency and draft the latter.

•  kujo says:

Seems like you and I will be playing for the same team this Draft Season.

•  Nosh.0 says:

I actually think they may go the Free Agency route in terms of getting an RT. I think first round is a pass rusher. After that I have no idea.

•  kujo says:

Andre Smith, the RT from Cincinnati, would be a very McKenzie-like signing for Reese. I’d be down for 5-6 years of solid, above-average play. And I’d be willing to cut Boley, Webster, Diehl, Canty or Baas to pay for it.

•  demo3356 says:

Which 4-5 guys are we going to say goodbye to to afford him?

•  kujo says:

Answered that question above. Restructure or dump any of the above.

•  demo3356 says:

you dont get the big picture..Restructuring and cuts are a given JUST to get under the cap,sign our ERFA and RFA and keep just Will Beatty. What about the other 24UFA? There will be NO BIG NAME FA signing this off season

•  kujo says:

Also get rid of Thomas’ $4 mil cap hit and restructure Bradshaw.

7.  demo3356 says:

The winner of Sundays NFC Championship game will be the 11th different NFC team to go to the Superbowl in the last 12 years with the New York Football Giants being the ONLY team to go twice in that span.. Oh yeah if you make it 13 years than it is 11 different teams going once and the New York Football Giants going 3 TIMES.. yup it is a parity driven league for sure and Tom Coughlin is just a lousy coach that has gotten “Luky” twice…
    The loser of Sunday game will join the Cowgirls, Redskins, Vikings and Lions as the only team from the NFC not to go to a SB in the last 12 years

8.  Nosh.0 says:

Walter football had us taking the BYU DE in their last mock. In the updated one they having taking a DE from Oregon. Anyone know anything about him?

19. New York Giants: Dion Jordan, DE/OLB, Oregon
    Giant fans know that general manager Jerry Reese loves drafting pass-rushers. With Osi Umenyiora entering free agency this March and Justin Tuck having a down year, Reese may select a defensive end at the end of the first round.

Dion Jordan would be a top-10 selection this April, but he suffered a torn labrum. I feel like the Giants’ front office is smart enough to end his slide.

•  kujo says:

He’s 6’7 and 240 lbs. That’s pretty lean for a DE and REALLY tall for a LB.

•  demo3356 says:

Like I have many times before (nearly always right BTW) I’m going to go on record and Guarantee we DO NOT DRAFT A DE in the first round.. Everyone is saying that due to our history and success over the last 6-7 years. That said the league is a changing and teams have negated our pass rush with 3 step drops, max protects, running up the gut, play action and this read and react BS that exploits aggressive edge rushers. We have bigger fish to fry and need a monster DT, a RT, a CB a TE and a LB way more than another DE. JPP, Tuck, Kiwi, Tracey, Ojomo, Broha and either a bargain FA or mid draft pick will be enough there. We need personnel to adjust to the changing game. We need a Wilfork type in the middle and some thumpers at LB or the next couple f years are going to get very fustrating

9.  demo3356 says:

Kujotard- I break BBG’s balls mercilessly over Burifect due to the fact that he was so in love with the guy and so sure that he would be a top ten pick that he wanted the giants to throw the season and finish 4-12 because that was the only way we could draft the second coming of LT. Then when his draft stock went down faster than Krows head into his boyfriends lap during a Twilight marathon BBG carried on and on that he should still be a first or second round pick. I actually really like BBG and break his balls for fun. I also never doubted VB’s talent just where is head was at. I’m glad he turned ish around and didn’t turn into the complete bust it appeared he was headed for. That said his play this season was OUTSTANDING for an UDFA but still nowhere near that of a guy thought to be a top ten pick 12 months ago.. Carry on…