January 16th, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Newly hired head coach Doug Marrone has already begun to bring some familiar faces to the Buffalo Bills as he continues filling out his staff. One of them, who was hired on Tuesday, is former New York Giants running back Tyrone Wheatley, who has spent the last three years at Syracuse under Marrone.

A first-round pick (17th overall) of the Giants in the 1995 NFL Draft, Wheatley never lived up to his expectations in New York. After an incredible and record-breaking career at Michigan, he would play only four season with the Giants, gaining 1,280 yards on 356 carries (3.6 ypc). However, his career would see brief success with the Oakland Raiders, where he played out his remaining six seasons, gaining 4,962 yards on 1,270 carries (4.0 ypc).

Prior to joining Syracuse as a running backs coach in 2010, Wheatley spent single seasons coaching at Robichaud High School, Ohio Northern and Eastern Michigan.

As he did at Syracuse, Wheatley will coach running backs in Buffalo.

photo credit: AAFL Photos via photopin cc

Tags: Buffalo, Buffalo Bills, Doug Marrone, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Oakland, Oakland Raiders, Tyrone Wheatley

30 Responses to “Former New York Giants RB Tyrone Wheatley Hired as Buffalo Bills Running Backs Coach”

ROT is probably the most unsettled problem position on the team. It was manned by a combination of Locklear and Diehl all of 2012, never rising above journeyman level … and that’s being charitable. Neither is worthy of consideration except as depth.

All that waits in the wings is ‘two year project’ James Brewer. A 4th round pick currently being ‘coached up’ as the phrase goes.

The perfect solution is for Brewer to be the answer. But there’s no indication that he’s ready. Despite our obvious need he played only sparingly last year. In fact many games he was inactive. And what’s more troublesome is that there’s no buzz about him. Nothing.

This has the makings of a good mystery. If we start the season with Brewer what happens if he busts? Do we pay Diehl $4,000,000 cap dollars just in case? If we do then we have to cut someone. And where’s Locklear in all this?

Yep … Reese has his work cut out for him. And to help I have two words … Sebastian Vollmer.

•  kujo says:

The only thing I’ve heard about Brewer was that he looked pretty good against the Eagles in that last game. Having not seen the game myself, I can’t testify to that.

•  Krow says:

He played some ‘extra lineman’ formations. Least I think so.

I wish someone in the organization was saying how good he’s doing … etc etc. That’s what really worries me.

•  creewan says:

I agree, ROT is a crucial need right now. We have to give our franchise QB more than a patchwork ROT. He deserves better, he has won with a less, he has been an iron man, but he will only lose mobility as he ages and keeping him clean becomes more important as father time works his witchcraft.

We all want Brewer to be the answer, but It’s a leap of faith to give him the job. Someone has to be drafted/signed to push him for the spot and whoever loses provide depth. We need to get the OL straight.

2.  TuckThis says:

Don’t know if this has been posted already…Chip Kelly has agreed to the head coaching job of the Eagles. Guess they offered lots of money/ authority.
    Hadn’t he already said he was staying at oregon?

3.  creewan says:

Looking at the draft I notice that OT and DT are two of the deepest positions. I know it’s often viewed as dangerous to mathematically break down the draft and the BPA method normally ensures you avoid busts. However, I think we have to go MIKE in the first if he has a grade of top 32 or better on our board.

Or in our case, if he’s in the top 2 tiers.

The depth at OT and DT is there.
    MIKE is the thinnest position.
    CB is the second thinnest (of our needs)

Tharold Simon, Logan Ryan, David Amerson headline the corners who have committed early which has made that position slightly deeper than before.

If we don’t see a MIKE that justifies a 1st Round selection I think we have to go CB based on the depth at the other positions of need. Rhodes preferred.

I know that DE is always in play, but I don’t see how we can go there unless Reese is in love with someone (Possibly Ansah) as much as he was JPP and simply can not turn him down.

I understand the BPA method and agree with it in principle. But at the same time we went 9-7, missed the playoffs by a few inches, and our QB is in his prime with approx 4-6 years left (realistically) to make a run. The rules change when you are seriously title contenders every year. We have to fill the holes in our roster.

As I see it, our needs include:
    OT
    DT
    CB
    MLB

No particular order.

I assume one of the positions can be helped (not solved) via free agency. I don’t see us hitting a home run or signing a washed up vet (Smith, Long, Seymour, Urlacher) but maybe adding some depth to one of these spots. History as a guide, all 4 of those positions have been filled with free agents in the past (some better than others, some more expensive than others).

Possibly a signing like Cherilous at OT or McKelvin at CB would help and allow us to focus on our other areas of need early in the draft.

This sucks. Discussing the off season this early hurts so much this year. We didn’t want it bad enough. Plain and simple. I don’t know who to blame, but that’s the bottom line. The fight wasn’t there. I think we come back hungrier next year and that makes a big difference. I think Coughlin does some serious self assessments of himself and his team and pushes the right buttons.

Toughest off season in a long time. So frustrating trying to guesstimate what changes will be made. It’s difficult to assess the draft with so much speculation regarding our own free agents. But that’s for another time, another post.

Thoughts on BPA taking back seat while were are contenders?

Go Giants!

As always, Reese will say he drafted the BPA, but he manages to avoid the fact that in almost every case it was also a position of need. It’s a “blended” decision but I think this season they have to make that blend a little heavy on the need side.

Good post.

Reese should ask Coughlin at what position would he let a rookie start … and then draft the best player at that position.

The typical contract is 4 years. If they sit 1 then it’s 3 usable years. Adding 1 is a 33.33 increase, and will easily cover any difference we’d get selecting the BPA who would not play his first year.

•  creewan says:

Nice logic!

I’m torn right now. On one hand, I want the old and injured out (66, 44, 87, 55, etc) but I do value the veteran presence many of these types of players provide to a football outfit chasing rings.

I think I’m leaning toward the “youth movement” more though. Not that we should blow it up and re-build with all youngsters (obviously) but I do think it’s time to start letting some of our vets go. It’s been 5 years since Eli/Coughin’s first ring in 07.

In 11, we had many new players who were not part of the 07 run. Some role players that played their part in the 07 run took on more responsibility (Tuck, Bradshaw, Webster, Eli, Boothe, Ross) while others were new to the team completely that played huge roles (JPP, Boley, Canty, Rolle, Nicks, MM, Cruz).

We need to be honest. It is time for hungrier, younger, healthier players at key positions.

As I said over the past few days, they will have to let some veterans go who can still play (I think Kenny Phillips is a perfect example, and a painful one; Bradshaw and Boley and Canty could be others).

Time to get young, fast, hungry kids in here who will not take plays, series, or games, off.

•  creewan says:

Boley
          Canty

How do you feel about the idea that they stay on team based on the fact that we don’t have much behind them.

I agree completely with Bradshaw and Phillips. They need to go. Hard as it is to let them walk. Better too early than too late.

Boley and Canty fall under the same umbrella but have virtually nothing behind them.

•  kujo says:

Boley, Canty, Rolle, and Manningham were hardly “new” to the team in 2011, while Boothe was certainly a brand new contributor.

•  creewan says:

I just meant “new” as in “not there in 07″.

Just trying to emphasize that turnover is reality in the league. It is difficult to stomach the thought of letting some of our beloved Giants walk away. Particularly the ones who have given their all and can still contribute. However, the consistently elite teams continuously hit in the draft, find bargains in free agency, and develop their young talent.

We did this nearly perfectly between the two runs 07 – 11.

5.  ERICHONIUS says:

I really think that OL needs to be top priority this offseason. I know, I know the defense gave up a franchise record in yards, Corey Webster looks like Antonio Pierce in coverage, Osi and Phillips are likely walking out the door, etc…
    But realistically we need upgrades at LT, RT, RG, and better play at the C. We need to begin to address the OL issue because it will take multiple years to rebuild and better now than after we lose a season because Eli was injured. Further, if we can increase production from our run game we will be able to keep our defense off the field, the fewer number of snaps may help revitalize our Dline. Even further, this will take pressure off our QB, imagine if we could force teams to keep a safety in the box! It might also help Cruz from being laid out multiple times a game (probably the cause of his decreased production in the 2nd half of the year).

I think demo and FF55 are right … it’s a mini-rebuild. The team’s gotten old … hurt … and maybe not even designed for the new, evolving NFL.

7.  kujo says:

According to Pat Traina, she believes the team is likely to franchise Beatty if they can’t reach a deal with him.

She also laid out a way to clear up $10 mil in cap space: cut Thomas ($5.3m) and cut Boley ($4.5)

•  Krow says:

And with their first pick in the 2013 NFL draft the Philadelphia Eagles select Manti Te’o of Notre Dame.

•  kujo says:

Seriously don’t know what to think of this…

•  Krow says:

It’s like politics where everyone is a crook … everyone is a liar.

•  kujo says:

Notre Dame Statement: Manti Te’o

On Dec. 26, Notre Dame coaches were informed by Manti Te’o and his parents that Manti had been the victim of what appears to be a hoax in which someone using the fictitious name Lennay Kekua apparently ingratiated herself with Manti and then conspired with others to lead him to believe she had tragically died of leukemia. The University immediately initiated an investigation to assist Manti and his family in discovering the motive for and nature of this hoax. While the proper authorities will continue to investigate this troubling matter, this appears to be, at a minimum, a sad and very cruel deception to entertain its perpetrators.

Dennis Brown
            University Spokesman | Assistant Vice President

Oh Thomas is in our 4.7 over th cap projection? Then our cap situation isn’t as bad as I thought. We really need to sign Beatty to a long term deal. That franchise tag number will really hurt us if we have to use it on him. Plus he’s not worth 10 mil in 2013. I understand that’s a last resort but one that we must avoid.