New York Giants’ Chris Snee Will Hold Off on Surgery, Play in 2013 Pro Bowl

January 12th, 2013 at 3:00 PM

New York Giants offensive lineman Chris Snee played all 16 games of the 2012 season, but it certainly wasn't easy. It was revealed shortly after their season ended that Snee had not only battled through a partially torn hip labrum, but also several painful bone spurs.

A source close to Snee recently told Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News that he had "no idea" how Snee was even able to play, and that the veteran guard was in "a ton of pain." Yet he stuck it out and plans to do exactly that over the next few weeks, forgoing surgery so that he can play in the 2013 Po Bowl.

The injuries could explain Snee's uncharacteristic struggles in 2012, but they weren't enough to keep him from being elected to his fourth Pro Bowl. He will be joined by teammates Jason Pierre-Paul and Victor Cruz in Honolulu, Hawaii on January 27th.

Following the game, Snee will meet with doctors to discuss his options, and will likely need "minor" surgery. He is expected to be ready when the team begins training camp in July.

Tags: Chris Snee, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL

36 Responses to “New York Giants’ Chris Snee Will Hold Off on Surgery, Play in 2013 Pro Bowl”

I will never understand the rationale behind putting off inevitable surgery.

Every day you shorten your window of recovery is a day wasted. We played our last game on 12/30 … the Pro Bowl is 1/27. Basically Snee is cutting his rehab time by a month to play in that glorified scrimmage.

I’m sure it’s a blast. Fun in Hawaii and all that. But it just seems selfish and stupid to me. For $6,450,000 being 100% ready for the season should be his #1 priority.

•  Begiant says:

If he is ready for for team activities I do not see the problem…probably his last probowl anyway

•  Krow says:

Neither do I … but what if he isn’t?

•  Begiant says:

The article said minor surgury. I would be suprised if he misses time because of this injury

•  G-MenFan says:

First of all, there’s no such thing as “minor” surgery when you’re the one having it.
            Second of all, if Snee struggled this year due to injury, he is obligated to fix the hip now and start the rehab, especially given his salary.
            Third–The Pro Bowl is a friggin’ joke anyway, and
            Fourth—He doesn’t belong there to begin with.

I agree 100% with a previous poster, I believe it was Dirt, who said that if the guy sucked this year because of his hip, he shouldn’t be playing in this game with the same hip problem.

2.  TroyThorne says:

How hurt could he really be if he’s choosing to play in the Pro Bowl? Makes you wonder.

3.  Dirt says:

I know no journalist has had a chance to inquire, but it’d be great to get KP’s thoughts on how the Giants handled his injury situation after watching RGIII go down last week.

4.  Begiant says:

On a side note, I do not think Herzlich’s spot on this team is in jeopardy. He still has potential as a LB (I think he is more of a SAM than Mike, but whatever) and he has played well on special teams. I think the special teams is what will allow him to make our roster.

•  G-MenFan says:

Well then, I’ll be the anti-Christ and say that Mark Herlizich, who I love and want on this team, has not acquitted himself well at all this year.

The guy cannot shed a block and fill a hole and stuff a run. That’s kind of what we look for in a MLB.

Denver 3-man rush worked to perfection. TD Ravens !!!

6.  Dirt says:

One advantage of not playing in the Super Bowl this year is not being stressed out given the circumstances then having to deal with a CBS broadcast on top of it.

Is it just me or is this game suffering from too much officiating?

Denver played so stupidly today it was like watching the Giants.

9.  Dirt says:

So signing Peyton “I can’t play in the cold to save my life” Manning has come back to bite Denver.

Tebow won more playoff games in Denver, haha

•  TroyThorne says:

I don’t think they signed him to a 1 year deal.

•  Dirt says:

Ha I know. But he’ll blow out in the cold at home next year too.

As soon as I saw him wearing a glove in pregame, I knew they’d lose. The cold throws him off his game. Ergo, two terrible picks, in a game that his special teams, the refs and the commentators were all trying to give him.

10.  TroyThorne says:

What a choke by Peyton and Co. Shame the refs had such an impact on that game though. Thought they got too much TV time.