New York Giants’ Henry Hynoski Aims to Carry Ball More in 2013

January 11th, 2013 at 6:30 AM

New York Giants fullback Henry Hynoski, better know as the Hynocerous, has carried the ball a grand total of five times for 20 yards in his two-year NFL career. And although he specializes in making brutal blocks to free Big Blue's running backs, he'd like to get his hands on the ball a bit more in 2013. Accordingly, one of his offseason goals is to improve his footwork and show the coaches he's capable of handling the rock.

"I can get better and I’ll be self-scouting myself in the coming weeks to see where and how. One of the things I think I can work on my quickness and foot speed. I’d like to be able to show the coaches that I can carry the ball on occasion to give them another option if they’re looking to mix things up. So that’s definitely something I’m going to look at doing," Hynoski wrote on his blog.

Getting the ball has been a rarity for Hynoski, but he ended 2012 in a big way by scoring his first NFL touchdown in a 42-7 blowout of the Philadelphia Eagles. He then promptly introduced us all to, perhaps, the greatest touchdown dance of all-time.

Arguably spurned from the Pro Bowl, Hynoski was recognized for a tremendous season by USA Football, who named him to the 2012 All-Fundamentals Team. A well deserved honor for one of the more consistent players on the team.

If Hynoski is able to come through on his offseason plans, and the coaches do see him as a viable "mix it up" threat in 2013, he will only make an already dangerous offense that much more dangerous.

Photo Credit: Mike Gannon

Tags: Football, Henry Hynoski, New York, New York Giants, NFL

11 Responses to “New York Giants’ Henry Hynoski Aims to Carry Ball More in 2013”

It’ll be interesting to see how he increases his speed. Once he perfects his method he’ll make an amazing fortune selling it to every athlete in the world.

2.  PittsburghJim says:

Probably gonna shave down his horn.
    Aerodynamics….

3.  Fars says:

Just read a nice piece on Kenny Phillipps over at bloggingthebeast.com I wanted to share.

——
    Kenny Phillips, when healthy, is the best safety in the NFC East, and it’s not even close.

Way back in OTAs, Ebenezer Samuel of the NY Daily News was able to coax an interesting story out of Giants safeties coach Dave Merritt about Kenny Phillips:

For all the talk a few seasons ago that Kenny Phillips may have lost a step, Merritt certainly doesn’t think so. In fact, the coach described Phillips as perhaps the ideal safety, capable of playing in the box or stepping out to cover centerfield.

And, according to Merritt, opponents don’t dare test Phillips deep. The coach told a story to back that up, too. And I’ll let Coach Merritt take things from here:

“(Cowboys tight end Jason) Witten told me when I went to the Pro Bowl two years ago when Antrel invited me, Witten said, when 21?s in the post, we don’t ever throw anything deep because we know he can go and get it. He said, ‘But if I see anybody else back there, (Tony) Romo knows, we’re going deep.’

….

(Great analysis of Brown’s picks there as well)
    —-

•  Chad Eldred says:

I don’t think that there is anyone here that would argue that Philips is expendable because we have Brown and Hill. If he goes, it’s a loss there is no doubt. I get the article’s point about the franchise tag being affordable, and it is. For most teams. However, in our case it would require some major cap house cleaning and with our history of small moves it would be unlikely to think that we can clear that much room with a some re-structuring here and there. Maybe this year is different and we make some large adjustments. However, I’m not holding my breath on that.

•  Chad Eldred says:

And of course the elephant in the room is still the injury factor. I would be much more willing to franchise him and see how next year goes, than give a long term deal loaded with guaranteed dollars.

•  Krow says:

Nice article. Of course the situation with KP isn’t really about talent. It’s about money, health, and the cap. And then there’s the rumor that KP is not happy with how the team handled him this year. It’s kind of simplistic for him to imply that we’d ‘let him get away’.

•  Levito says:

I’m pretty sure everyone who posts here wants KP back next season. And it would be nice if it happens. But it’s a long shot at this point. No way they use the franchise tag on him, unless they manage to get a lot of other players under contract as well. If anyone gets the tag, I think its Beatty.

Hynoscerous will get four TDs in 2013. And he will become one of the most popular Giants and an ESPN favorite. His dance is the best ever seen and will become a club craze. It’s all gonna happen.

As for KP, if I were running this team there are a small number of players I would consider my core if they’re all healthy: Eli, Wilson, Beatty, JPP, Nicks, Prince, and Kenny Phillips. I would move heaven and earth to retain them and then figure out how to best manage the others on my payroll.

BUT, and it’s a big but, is KP healthy? The team knows more than any of us do. We’ll know a lot more if Reese doesn’t make a big effort to retain him. I’ve said for years what that article says: KP is the best two-way safety around. He’s now better than Ed Reed and the only other guy in his class back there is Thomas.

I think the combination of his health, and his rumored (if true) dissatisfaction with the way that health was handled in 2012, makes it more likely that he leaves. But it would be a fantastic thing if he sticks around and has another 4-5 good years in him before his knee forces him out of the league. As much as we focus on our front four, there isn’t much better for a defense than to know that their back end is well-protected. That allows for a lot of scheme creativity (if only the coordinator will think creatively).

6.  GIANTT says:

Love me some Henry and ANYTHING he can contribute to expanding his role by carrying and/or catching the ball out of the backfield more next year will certainly give Eli more options and force defenses to watch him a little more closely than just another blocker .
    Coming back to Wilson , I dont think giving more playing time last year would have changed any results so perhaps the wear and tear savings for next year and over the course of his career will be a very useful addition . An experienced red shirt rookie . I think it will go well .
    As far as KP goes , as fans most of us of course would like to see him back but Krow was right on “Its about money, health , and the cap ” and it has to pass the smell test on all fronts .So , if someone comes along and offers the moon , Reese will not try and match it .

7.  GIANTT says:

I seem to be continually behind the times and trying to get current has been beyond me . But I did want to comment on a conversation that ff55y and Barbarossa and others were having about injuries and equipment .
    Im about 5 ft 8 stretching it and I only played rugby growing up over there . People seem to think that football and rugby are very similar and one should be able to draw a lot cf comparisons . The first football player I ever remember seeing was Pete Dawkins ( Old timers will remember him as a QB for Army and didnt he win the Heisman ? ) But I saw him playing RUGBY in a college game (Oxford v Cambridge which has the cache of Army- Navy game here ) The point was that he started to throw the ball as a QB does – overhand which was the first that it was seen in a rugby game .I marveled that someone could throw the ball 30 yards hard and accurately . Now its a common sight but that was the first time it was used
    That was my first sighting of football . Second – re pads and protection of football as against no or very little pads of rugby .The opposing offenses in football line up a yard apart and then hit each other and the game is predicated on who hits the hardest . In rugby , opposing lines lock up and PUSH for strategic yards gained without hitting to start out . the only time you contact the opposition as a collision is supposed to be in a tackle which , without pads has to be done in a manner that lets you avoid getting hurt . In football if you hit or tackle someone you do it as hard as possible because you can always be substituted for . In rugby there is no substitution each play so if you get hurt tackling someone you are letting your whole team down because you have to stay on the field .I learned my lesson tackling when I got kicked in the teeth trying to tackle around the ankles . With all the pads and helmets and guards that is not a problem in football of course .
    I remarked to someone that the difference in size in rugby vs football players is also a factor . In football 300lb plus linemen are de rigeur in college and pros . Its very difficult to find a top level rugby player that size because with no substitutions the player has to be on the field running around for 40 minute halves .
    How many DTs could play more than a couple of plays without getting a rest ?
    The games of football and rugby are like the English and American language , on the surface very similar but with so many differences that they are in reality different languages with a few common points