January 9th, 2013 at 12:20 PM

The offseason is upon us and news about the New York Giants is beginning to dwindle. However, Michael Eisen of Giants.com published a very interesting statistical piece about the 2012 season on Wednesday, and in it were notes of several franchise records being broken that flew under the radar. Some of them good, some of them not so good. Either way, 2012 was a record-breaking season for Big Blue.

'Steve Weatherford of the New York Giants' photo (c) 2012, Marianne O'Leary - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

• Steve Weatherford set the single-season franchise record for average gross punt yards (47.5) – based on a minimum of 35 punts. Although impressive, it ranked him 8th in the NFL this season.
  • David Wilson set the rookie franchise record with 1,925 all-purpose yards. His total was also the second highest amongst rookies this season, falling just short of Tampa Bay Buccaneers running back Doug Martin (1,926). And it wasn't the only franchise record he set this season.
  • We've already discussed Stevie Brown's franchise records.
  • Eli Manning, who had an off year completing only 59.9% of his passes, actually increased his career completion percentage to 58.6%, moving him into first on the franchise list amongst quarterbacks with at least 1,000 pass attempts.
  • The Giants set a franchise record with 37 first down penalties. D'oh!
  • On defense, the 6,134 yards allowed was — you guessed it — also a franchise record.

Not all numbers were historic. Some were bizarre, others coincidental and some just downright surprising.

• For the 5th time in franchise history, the offense scored more than 400 points. Four of those five times have occurred under head coach Tom Coughlin: 2012 (429 points), 2008 (427), 2005 (422) and 2009 (402). Kevin Gilbride, who became offensive coordinator in 2007, was also partially responsible for three of those seasons.
  • The Giants defense actually improved from 2011 to 2012, allowing 56 fewer points than they did a year ago.
  • The Giants offense had less total yardage than a season ago, but scored 35 more points.
  • The Giants' plus-14 turnover ratio was the highest since 1997.
  • Lawrence Tynes made 33 field goals in 2012, compared to only 19 in 2011.
  • The Giants were the only team in the NFL this season who had at least three running backs rush for 100+ yards in a game (Ahmad Bradshaw, Andre Brown and David Wilson).
  • Victor Cruz's 86 receptions was the second most in franchise history behind only Steve Smith (107).

And there is your Wednesday afternoon stat dump.

Tags: Ahmad Bradshaw, Andre Brown, David Wilson, Eli Manning, Football, Kevin Gilbride, Lawrence Tynes, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Steve Smith, Steve Weatherford, Stevie Brown, Tom Coughlin, Victor Cruz

24 Responses to “New York Giants’ Steve Weatherford, David Wilson Set Franchise Records & Other Statistical Notes”

1.  PittJim says:

Targeting ASpencer of Dallas would cost a few sheckles, but pretty darn good player. DE & LB, plus pass rusher.

And, oh yeah, hurts the ‘girls.

I’m sure JR has ruminations already….

ps ANYONE from A&M & ‘bama’s offensive line in the draft would be a-ok by moi.

Ouch. We gave up over 6,000 yards. That’s a hell of a lot of ‘bending’.

3.  Chad Eldred says:

I see that today’s conversation largely concerns money, which is what dictates most off-season activity. Two interesting notes.

1. It’s finally sinking in for people here that KP won’t be back. I’m not sure if the injury factor makes this more or less likely. The knee problems make him less appealing to us, but if he were healthy he would be even more appealing to other teams. Moot point, we can’t afford him either way.

2. The Cruz chatter continues to be focused on the meaningless ?years/?million figure. This isn’t the topic in question. When Cruz said the “structure” of the deal was agreed upon, that’s what he is talking about. We can all speculate as to what it may be, but I guarantee this is already resolved It’s the easiest part to agree upon, because it is basically the hypothetical value of the contract. For some reason it is the part that fans and media love focus on. The players, teams, and agents are concerned with the real value of the contract which is the guaranteed money. Guaranteed money is the part they are discussing now and that is always the sticking point.

4.  Levito says:

• Lawrence Tynes made 33 field goals in 2012, compared to only 19 in 2011.

Not a good record. The Giants offense stalled out way too many times, as this number shows.

Um, bring back Bill Sheridan?

• David Wilson set the rookie franchise record with 1,925 all-purpose yards. His total was also the second highest amongst rookies this season, falling just short of Tampa Bay Buccaneers running back Doug Martin (1,926). And it wasn’t the only franchise record he set this season.

He could have crushed the all time record for a rookie (2,317, Tim Brown, 1988) if he actually got some playing time earlier in the season. But then again, we can never expect a rookie to win anything playing for Coughlin.

• Victor Cruz’s 86 receptions was the second most in franchise history behind only Steve Smith (107).

Hard to believe his performance the second most in Giants history as he seemed pedestrian this season. I guess everyone just expected more, and I know the Nicks injury hampered those chances.

•  Chad Eldred says:

You’re spot on regarding Wilson. It’s awesome that he put up those numbers, but it’s incredibly frustrating to think “what if?” I was completely in agreement with Coughlin benching him for that game and sending a clear message about ball security. However, the lack of carries the remainder of the year was completely absurd. It’s not like Bradshaw hasn’t had his fair share of ball security issues. Aggghhh, I’m gonna stop now, I’m getting that throbbing vein on my forehead.

What has happened to you? You’re becoming one of my favorite posters. Rational, lucid, insightful. You sure this isn’t someone else using your identity?

I wanted to see more Wilson and I think he should have gotten more carries. But I don’t think there as many carries as some think when Brown was healthy because he deserved carries too. I think we gave Bradshaw too many carries but I think before he was hurt a fair number of those should have went to Brown over Wilson. So I think the issue wasn’t as much under using Wilson although we did, it was giving Bradshaw too many carries.

Levito –

Fair point about Canty and Cruz. My point with Canty though isn’t the home town discount as much as taking a let’s say a 2 mil pay cut. I think he rather not leave for let’s say a Jacabs like minimal raise over our offer.

While I agree Cruz is different because he’s a legit star outside of the football realm I wonder if that also make him think he doesn’t need NY if JR is significant money apart from fair market value. Also, there is another NY team that would love to sign one of our stars.

•  Levito says:

Fair enough, but $2MM is a lot of money. And I’m sure it’s hard for these guys to believe they’re not worth more, they almost always do. And unlike a RB like Jacobs, there’s a lot of team which could use help at DT. And you never know what his agent is whispering into his ear.

But yes, I can see there’s a convenience factor involved. He’s from the area. He’s comfortable here. He probably owns a house in the area (which is probably worth less than what he paid for it when he got here).

The way I look at it is that 2 mil would put him at 4.5 mil. Can he make that on the open market? Probably but not much more so why leave if this is your home.

I think the Jacabs thing was he felt disrespected. Canty was allowed to miss a ton of games over his 4 years but this is the first time we ask for some money back. I think he’s been treated fair at least thus far.

•  Levito says:

Totally rational view, but players never seem to think of it that way. The money they’ve already pocketed, such as signing bonuses and previous seasons’ salaries are never part of the equation for them. If a player was given a $20MM signing bonus 4 years ago, but they’re on the last year of their contract and getting $1MM, they generally see it as getting $1MM this year, not $$6MM. Same thing goes for injuries.

Again, I think you’re being completely rational here. I just don’t think the players who see it from their own perspectives necessarily have the same viewpoint.

6.  PittJim says:

Agree on $$

However, we all know with cuts & restructures…..”things can be done.”
    Use your Tony Soprano voice…..

Anyone notice that last year’s free-wheeling Dream Team spend-orama Iggles are under said cap?

Interesting….

Norm – you were right last year about us going out of normal positions. I think you may be on to something this year as well. However, I think the position will be LB and not interior OL. But I won’t say ou are crazy because you were dead on last year. And there are 2 highly rated OGs in the bama kids and the UNC kid. I guess the Bama center Jones is also possible.

But I think LBs is due for a big investment. While I know it’s not what we due if we are married to the tampa 2 then we need more from our LBs and more speed in the middle. Maybe we address it in free agency. But I think we could address it early in the draft as well.

Looking at the possible BPAs around OG, LB, C along with our traditional positions DE, DT and CB could be any of those positions. Free agency will tell us more than it has the past few years with so many of our own. And several high priced vets that could be restructured or let go.

I’m not going to again blather on about why the “bend-don’t-break” defense is a lousy idea for this team, but I will say that for those of you who do not attend the games believe me, that defensive approach is a prime reason why the fans seem “unenthused” too often. As it happens, the Giants did well at home this season, but it has become a rare occasion when the crowd helps the team along the way it did in the glory days of Giants’ DEE-FENCE.

And as for Steve Weatherford, the fact that he was 8th in net punt average doesn’t bother me a bit. He has always seemed to come up with big kicks at the most critical times. I still contend that he was a co-MVP in last year’s Super Bowl because he kept Brady pinned down deep nearly all game with those brilliant deep, directional punts.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

The crowd is pretty terrible at the stadium. They cheer early on and then, generally, go silent.

Tough to get too excited about constant observation of the opponents’ third-down conversions because we won’t get tight against the receivers and we won’t send extra rushers to hurry the quarterback (or even better, plant him on the turf).

This defense takes the starch out of the crowd and out of the defense. Horrible scheme for SO many reasons. I’m really sorry no one wants to hire fewell away from us.

•  wrdag says:

Let me rant again about a core problem with TC and his missing play-off habit. The elephant in the room is our “home” record being terrible for an elite team. Its the easiest solution to us getting into the dance more. As FF55 has noted it would be smart to employ a blitzing rock the house defense to get the fans into the game. Playing the bend but dont break PF style does nothing to get fans involved in fact quite the opposite. I can’t understand why TC who seems quite pragmatic when it come to improving his team and his coaching is ignoring the obvious issue.
        On another issue: I found the stat regarding our turnover ratio very interesting. How many teams at plus 14 have missed the play-offs?? Is that uncommon?

Too early to predict the draft because we don’t know who is being dropped and who will be signed in free agency, but I don’t think norm is far off.

I actually think that with the addition of Ojomo, Tracy (as part of the defense rather than just a special teamer) and Broha to the team, in addition to the likely move of Kiwi back to DE, Reese should be thinking we’re pretty set for pass-rushers in 2013.

I think the big needs are on the O-line and at cornerback. Even if Webster is retained, we still will need a corner ready to replace him in 2015, if not sooner. And I fully agree with anyone who thinks we need to get that O-line way more productive. We have to be able to run the ball consistently and protect Eli far better than was the case this season. Eli may not have been sacked much but anyone who was at the games saw a LOT of back-footed throws, throws made way earlier than Eli desired, throws made with arms and hands in the passing lanes, and an awful lot of hits fractions of a second after the ball was released. There were way too few times that our franchise QB was comfortable in the pocket.

And yeah, we need just one IMPACT linebacker. I don’t care how we get him, but we have to get one. I actually have hopes that Muasau could become a real thumper in the middle, but we’ll still need a big-time backer to add to our group.

10.  BigBlueGiant says:

I think that letting KP walk would be a big mistake. I think he should be a top priority for this team. Yes, injuries… But let the kid heal up in the offseason.

Yes, Stevie Brown was a ballhawk for us. And i do think Will Hill might be the future at that position. And any of you guys thinking TT will be the same player he once was, i Think you might be mistaken. Two years removed from the pro game, and 3 ACL tears on the same knee = DONZO.
    But our defense is MUCH MUCH better when KP is out there. His stats don’t reflect how much better we are.

It’s going to be interesting to see what happens.

I agree with your players comments but still think it’s probably best to let KP walk. Most of these player decisions are influenced heavily by money. KP is certainly a player we would want back without considering money. But with the money factor re-signing him could be a costly investment. We are already 4.7 mil over the cap with oher major free agents in Beatty, Boothe and Bennett. So who would we have to sacrifice to keep KP? We are alredy letting Osi walk. The first thought is Webster. But then who do we have at CB and what resources do we have to replace Webster? We would have huge money tied up at safety in both Rolle and KP plus we have young players in Brown and Hiil. Also still maybe TT and Sash. Maybe if he re-sign KP then trade Brown or Hill for CB that would make sense. But just keeping KP is going to be hard cap wise. Add in the fact that by tendering Brown that’s another 2 mil invested in safety. TT would only be a possible 4th/5th safety with Sash without KP. The idea would be if healthy even if he lost a step he could help at safety.