Kevin Boothe Uncertain of His Future with New York Giants

January 9th, 2013 at 3:00 PM
By Paul Tierney

Perhaps the best player on the New York Giants that nobody talked about this season was starting left guard Kevin Boothe. Although the offensive line play was dismal at times this season, that was more so because of the right side of the unit. David Diehl and Chris Snee each had the worst seasons of their career, while center David Baas continued to disappoint. On the other hand, Boothe was a reliable blocker and showed the ability to perform against elite competition.

Unfortunately for the Giants, Boothe is a free agent this offseason and will be free to field offers from any team interested in his services. He recently told Giants.com that he's uncertain of what the future holds for him.

"I’m not sure how it all plays out. I know they have a lot of tough decisions to make upstairs and I can’t really think about it too much because there’s things that I can’t control," Boothe said. "So we’ll see. I think we made a lot of progress this year on the offensive line and I think that we can definitely improve. So I’m looking forward to whatever happens."

The Giants do have several important player personnel decisions to make this offseason. Victor Cruz needs a new contract, Kenny Phillips is a free agent, Diehl needs to be replaced, Corey Webster needs to take a pay cut and the list goes on. However, it's imperative that the team finds salary cap room to keep Boothe on the roster.

Boothe provides a sense of stability at guard. With Snee, Diehl and Baas all putting together subpar performances in 2012, Big Blue can not afford to lose one of the two players on the offensive line that was actually productive. It will be interesting to see the market for Boothe's services, as well as how far Jerry Reese is willing to go to sign him.

Tags: Chris Snee, contract, Corey Webster, David Baas, David Diehl, Football, Giants.com, Jerry Reese, Kenny Phillips, Kevin Boothe, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Victor Cruz

44 Responses to “Kevin Boothe Uncertain of His Future with New York Giants”

I’d imagine being an OG on one of the worst OLs in the NFL would definitely lead to a feeling of uncertainty. It’s hard to imagine GMs from other teams beating down our door to get them some of that Beatty … Boothe … Baas … Snee … Diehl magic.

Look our OL can be improved and we need better a RT but I think our OL has gotten an unfair share of the blame in our struggles as a team this year. Overall we were average or slightly above average. We weren’t a dumpster fire. From expectations going into the season I think OL played right about what was expected. Plenty of other areas did not. Beatty and Boothe were probably our 2 best OL players and need to be re-signed. It’s not like SF was any good on the OL when we signed Bass, GMs know all these players so even an unknown guy like Boothe will get a little love.

•  Krow says:

When your OL is composed of 3 under-performing players, a project LOT whose ceiling is probably ‘above average’, and Kevin Boothe then I’m not all that worried if one of them signs somewhere else. That includes Boothe.

I’m not saying he should leave … I’m not saying the team should dump him … but I am saying we shouldn’t engage in any sort of bidding war for his services … or lose any sleep over him moving on. He’s not a core player or a building block. We’ve let better guys walk. And if he gets an offer substantially over market value then he should take it … and we should let him. Can’t keep everyone. There are a dozen guys I’d rather see us throw cap dollars at.

I’m not saying a bidding war but you need players like Boothe on an NFL team. He’s not great but he’s good and really seems to be getting better every year. He also can play every line position except LT. He’s not a core player like Eli but he’s a core player like Hynoski or Bennett can be.

Beatty has played good LT the last 2 years when healthy. He’s not a project anymore. Does he have an allstar ceiling? I don’t know. But right now he’s a good player.

I think you are underrating change on the OL. We will already likely have a new RT and then to change another position is askign for early season struggles. You don’t become Philly and throw money at a bunch of free agents from other teams. OL’s become sronger by playing together, it’s not just a talent issue.

•  Krow says:

I don’t think we’re disagreeing. I guess I’m just weary of every free agent threatening to leave if we don’t back up the Brinks truck. Boothe is a decent NFL OG. That’s all. The get paid a certain amount. My guess… $2 mil a year. Someone offers him a lot more then hasta la vista. We’ve got a lot of people to sign.

3.  NC Giant says:

REPOST FROM LAST THREAD… January 9, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Okay…College Player Guru’s…and Draft Guru’s…

The kid from Alabama who played center this year…but has also played G, and LT…how high does a kid like that go? That is the type of versatility we LOVE! Could he replace Diehl at RT as a rookie and then be the replacement eventually for Baas or Snee and also give another year of growth for Brewer?

Thoughts?

•  LUZZ says:

I would say there is 90% chance he is off the board before #19. It’s possible that he’s around but not likely. NFL scouts that watched Bama/UGA, Bama/LSU, and Bama/ND surely have these Bama OL kids rated high and are climbing on all boards. Barrett is the best of the bunch and smart as well.

Saban has a very good reputation among the NFL coaching ranks. If Saban gives this kid both thumbs up (which he doesn’t always do, sometimes he simply remains quiet) then he could go top 10.

•  Krow says:

I’ll be stunned if he goes before our pick. The injury/operation/recovery/missing Combine/missing pro-day … coupled with the severity of lisfranc … his draft stock will take a hit.

•  Krow says:

If you mean Barrett Jones … he’s projected as a late-first-early-second pick. But he’s hurt. Dreaded lisfranc injury, and is slated for surgery. 3-4 month recovery.

•  LUZZ says:

I think he goes higher. Too many NFL teams need help on the olne, but I’m no draft guru.

•  Begiant says:

I think the injury will scare some teams off.

•  Krow says:

He’s probably the best C/OG in this draft. But it’s hard to jump on damaged goods that high. Of course if a team desperately needs a center then they could do a lot worse. As long as they can absorb the recovery period.

I doubt a team looking for an OG would go that early … because there are other OG options AND that injury can be nasty. He’s also not going to have the chance to wow them at Combine.

My gut right now tells me late first … to an established team that sees him as a long-term value pick. A team that can wait it out till he’s fully healed.

Sadly this is not the position we’re in.

•  Levito says:

Wait, no, this sounds exactly like a Giants pick. It’s not like he’s going to play next season anyway. So he can sit on the bench and heal, maybe see some playing time in December and be full ready to go for 2014!

•  LUZZ says:

If his injury is as severe as you are saying then you could be right, I wasn’t aware his recovery was projected to be so long.

•  Krow says:

It’s also one of those lingering sort of injuries too. But there are grades of it, and I don’t know how bad his is. However many players … in fact most players … who have had it make full recoveries. We’re not talking a knee here. He’ll almost certainly be fine. So it’s hard to say where he’s picked.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

I want DE Ezekial Ansah from BYU.

Kid has JPP type of potential. A bit raw but has HUGE upside.

•  Begiant says:

I am all for a vaunted pass rush but I do not want to draft a DE unless we are seriously thinking of letting Tuck leave if he has another underwhelming year.

•  Eric S says:

Tuck playing out his contract just might be a reality Begiant. If he underwhelms next year that would be three sub-par seasons excluding the 6 game SB run of course. Giants may decide to move on and having someone like Ansah develop for a year isn’t a bad thing here if his potential is JPP like.

4.  Begiant says:

Does our oline really need that much improvement. Eli was the least sacked QB and Wilson and Brown both averaged at least 5 yards a carry. On top of that Bradshaw was a 1000 yard rusher and averaged over 4 yards a carry. I know that Eli looked uncomfertable at times, however I think we need to look at another versatile TE (Robinson?) and a better, more consistent 3rd receiver (Jernigan, Randle?) first.

As for Cruz we don’t HAVE to give him a contract…we could let another team sign him and receive a first rounder or keep him at the tender price (assuming nobody would want him) and trade him (possibly two second rounds?) as he is a very talented young receiver. We have options and it is not give him a long term extension or he is gone scenario

•  LUZZ says:

These have been my thoughts as well. Cruz is a game changer so I would like to retain him, but if the loss is inevitable then we should look to get compensated for him. Two 2nd round picks in this deep draft for interior players would be huge. But my first choice would be to lock him up at a giants friendly contract, if we can’t do that then we should look to get value for him.

•  Krow says:

It depends on how Reese/Coughlin look at the future. So far we’ve done OK putting our resources in other areas, and attempting to ‘coach up’ OLmen while salting in the odd free agent. After 2 Superbowls one can hardly say it hasn’t worked.

But the NFL is changing. Many of the ascending teams all seem to have big, powerful OLs. It’s possible that this is one way to counteract all the flux in personnel on offense caused by the salary cap. And this may force them to change their strategy.

•  Begiant says:

The Packers are a clear exception however Rodgers has way more mobility and a lot more trusted weapons than Eli

•  Krow says:

Yeah, they’re like us. Established with a franchise QB. Gives them flexibility. But man, Rodgers gets hit a lot … a lot.

5.  Begiant says:

I disagree that we need to keep Phillips. We already have Rolle and I believe Stevie Brown and Will Hill can compete for the other safety roll…the other can be the 3rd safety. We also have Sash who Couglin apparently likes for special teams. There could also be a cheap veteran or rookie we could add. Another possibility is having T2 resign as a safety so there are plenty of options if Phillips goes somewhere else. I liked having the two Miami guys playing safety and really like Kenny Phillips but if another team has the balls to give him a big contract there is nothing we can do. Now if this is a Mario Manning Situation I think we should scrape together the extra million or two it takes to get him to stay in NY

•  Levito says:

Unfortunately I agree. I wanted KP on the Giants before they drafted him and have been a huge fan of him, so my heart says I want to see him back. But the rational side of me says he’s not as important considering the other options we have at safety this offesason. I’m praying the Giants can get a team-friendly deal done, but it’s really a long shot.

•  Begiant says:

I never predicted us drafting him but I feel the same way…I really like the kid and thought it was great how he thanked us and appreciated us sticking by him during his injury. I would love for him to come back but with a lot of FA and being 5 million over the cap…it does not look good

6.  wvchirodoc says:

Sam Montgomery would be my DE choice, but Ansah does have potential. I think after watching the title game I was more impressed with the CB milliner than I was anyone else, although Chance Wormack is a beast and will be starting day one at G.

•  Begiant says:

That could move Boothe back to his supersub position and give us a great insurance policy in case someone goes down

•  LUZZ says:

Boothe will command too much money to a sub going forward in the league. He’s a starter at this point and will get paid like one. His days of being a cheap “supersub” are behind him.

Unfortunately, Milliner will be long gone before #19.

Wormack is a beast and will be a starter next season in the NFL. I didn’t realize Barrett Jones was going to need surgery on that foot. I think that gives Reese even more reason to do some trading so he can move up and possibly get Jones with our second pick.

Unlike most years, when I think the Giants’ approach of never trading picks and figuring that between our scouts and the riskiness of ever counting on talent translating to the NFL we are always better off using all our picks in the order we get them is fine, I don’t think so this time around (contingent on what happens in free agency). I think we need a very good corner and a real stud on the O-line and at linebacker. It would make a HUGE difference for the Giants if they had a guy whom they knew David Wilson could always get behind and wait for him to open a crease in concert with Hynoski, and who could be asked to stone a defensive lineman on a regular basis no matter how good that opponent was. And it would make a HUGE difference for this team if they had a top linebacker who could help stop the run by rapidly filling a lane and making sure that a ball-carrier went backwards when he was hit instead of continuing for 2-3 more yards after contact; and who could be at least average in pass coverage and was strong when he had an opportunity to hunt down the QB.

Get those three players and I’ll take my chances on everything else. If we get two impact players, one on offense and one on defense, and a really solid corner out of our first three picks I will take that and damn the torpedoes afterwards.

•  Krow says:

The tough thing about Jones is that the good teams are the ones in the position to wait till he’s recovered … and in the right spot to draft him.

So even if we had the #1 pick in round two we’d have to get by all the playoff teams. And they’re the ones who can afford to take him.

•  Eric S says:

You never know about Milliner after all, nobody saw Prince falling all the way to 19 either.

The more I think about it drafting a center/guard in rounds 1 or 2 makes little sense unless we don’t bring back Boothe, Bass or Snee. If those guys are here they will start due to their salaries. An early interior pick really should be starting somewhere right away. It’s not like a C/G can rotate in like most other positions. Even a tackle can play some extra TE . It just seems like a move with very little impact on 2013 if no injuries occur for a first round pick. I think with so many free agents that we will need this first rounder to play more than some of our recent picks. I think our pick will be asked to contribute rigth away like Nicks.

I can see more of a 3rd-4th round or lower C/G to replace Bass or Snee in 2014.

•  Krow says:

Given all the cap/free agency possibilities it’s harder this year than ever to predict what areas we’ll draft towards.

I’m with Krow on Boothe. He’s a nice player, but he’s probably “average” in the NFL and his additional value, if any, is familiarity with the scheme and versatility. Those two factors may be worth a few hundred thousand a year extra, no more. If he goes, he goes.

We’ll sign Beatty (probably for more money than he’s worth because we cannot afford to lose him). We’ll have Brewer move into the RT spot. A healthier Snee will play one guard spot. Baas will be playing for his future here and should have the equivalent of a “contract year” (and might wind up at guard if necessary….remember, he has played there before, at SF, where Harbaugh really liked him on film and was sorry to see him go). We’re going to acquire someone through free agency or the draft who can play a starting role. Cordle will be given a chance to win a job. And we have a boatload of youngsters who will be competing for spots on the depth chart. It would be very nice to get Boothe back, but it’s quite possible that a team with plenty of cap space that needs to spend in order to get to the salary minimum will offer him too much and he’ll be gone.

He is a very-nice-to-have but there are lots of bigger priorities and he may well be one of those who has played his last snap for us.

I don’t believe we can penny pinch with our OL. While I believe it’s better than some think, it’s clearly not deep. Boothe is certainly replaceable but we will likely have to spend just as much for another free agent starter or a pretty high draft choice. It’s not that different than Webster although a 1st round guard can more easily replace Boothe than a 1st round CB replace Webster.

9.  giantsfan says:

Panthers hire Giants executive Dave Gettleman as new general manager!!!

We lost a good man.

•  Krow says:

He’d have been a fool not to take it. It’s the way of things. People move up … move on … you replace them.

•  Begiant says:

It almost makes me want Marc Ross to get hired so we can boast about having 3 Gms that worked for us

•  LUZZ says:

I’d rather keep these guys and boast about winning more rings. Individually I’m happy for them, but I could care less about how effectively we groom front office talent for the rest of the league to pilfer. Winning in this league today requires a smart front office that builds through the draft, along with bringing in a handful of street FA that can contribute.

The Cowboys don’t win sh!t because their front office blows. It’s critical that we find a way to replace these guys with real talent.

Losing Gettleman AND Ross would be tough. You can never blame someone for wanting a better job, but losing these guys would be a bigger blow than losing any player on the team except Eli.

I will assume, though, that the Giants have pretty decent successors in the wings. If there’s one thing Reese knows it’s how important the personnel department is (since he emerged out of it) so I have to think thy have been developing talent behind Gettleman and Ross.

Still, good for Gettleman and bad for us.