Poor Eli Manning: NFL Regular Season Week 17

January 2nd, 2013 at 2:00 PM

"Poor Eli Manning” is a compilation of quotes by both the media and fans about New York Giants quarterback and Super Bowl XLII & XLVI MVP Eli Manning.

Despite his success, negativity and doubt have followed Peyton’s younger brother since the moment he was traded from the San Diego Chargers to the New York Giants on draft day of 2004. Regardless of what he does or how well he performs – even in a league that lives and dies by the motto, “What have you done for me lately?” – he is questioned and criticized.

'Thread the Needle' photo (c) 2010, AJ  Guel - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

In Sunday's 42-7 destruction of the Philadelphia Eagles, Manning connected on 13 of his 21 attempts (61.9%) for 208 yards and a career best five touchdowns. It was also the first time a Giants quarterback had thrown for five or more touchdowns in a single game since Phil Simms did it in 1980.

Alas, the Giants (9-7) were eliminated from the playoffs, so the victory was bittersweet at best. And it didn't take long for critics to come crawling out of the woodwork to place blame on ole' Easy-E. In fact, one journalist, as you'll soon see, proclaimed that Manning was the biggest reason for the Giants' letdown.

There's no doubt that Manning should shoulder some of the blame, but there is plenty to go around. Unfortunately, when you're the face of the franchise, you take most of the punishment. Such is life in the NFL, and such is life in our favorite weekly segment: Poor Eli Manning.

Ian O'Connor, ESPN

"Blame Eli, above all, for [the] 2012 failure."

Josh Alper, NBC Connecticut

"Eli Manning's downturn in play from midseason on is something that should be a great concern for the Giants."

Matthew Shovlin, FanIQ

"Eli played absolutely terrible football in the middle of the season."

SB Nation Philly (satire site, legit Philly thinking)

"Despite the blowout, the Giants still didn't make the playoffs, which is just more proof that Eli Manning is a loser and always will be."

Michael Vito, Giants 101 Facebook

"#1 to blame is #10"

Andrew Augustus, Twitter

"Ever since last year I was bashed for not considering Eli Manning elite. This season was proof why still isn't elite."

Mags, Twitter

"I feel like the movie Dumb and Dumber is based on a Michael Phelps and Eli Manning trip to the zoo."

Riaz Dhanani, Twitter

" Eli Manning and the Giants have now missed the playoffs 3/4 years. Hall of Famer in his Prime? Please #overrated"

Tags: Eli Manning, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL

30 Responses to “Poor Eli Manning: NFL Regular Season Week 17”

Chad mentioned Gosder Cherilus earlier . There are a few intriguing ROT prospects on that FA list, and he’s definitely among them.

My thoughts on the matter are … … … the best option is that Brewer can handle the position. That costs us nothing. But if they’re not 100% sure then they have to do one of two things … draft a ROT #1, or go free agency. They’re the only ones who can step right in and play. Another mid-round pick … even a #2 … is still a project. A bargain basement FA like Locklear won’t propel us to the Superbowl.

So … if we have to pay #1 money then the difference between that and a solid FA isn’t a lot. Now I’m not saying a star FA … just a good one … like Cherilus.

“Blame Eli, above all, for [the] 2012 failure.”

“Eli played absolutely terrible football in the middle of the season.”

I think both these are true.

3.  Levito says:

Does Eli some of the blame for this season? Yes. But he probably deserves equal credit for the SB win last season. If he played this season how he played last season, the Giants probably win it all again. If he played last season like he did this year, the Giants wouldn’t have sniffed the playoffs.

4.  G-MenFan says:

How anyone can blame Eli Manning for this season is beyond me. The passing game in the NFL is played at 200 mph. He’s missing Manningham, Nicks is playing at about 60%, Cruz led the NFC in dropped passes, and his line sucked.

Eli made too many extremely poor decisions. The line and running game were better than last year which at least in part makes up for the WRs. Eli laso wasn’t at his best in the clutch like he has been most of the time. The idea that Eli is to blame isn’t saying that Eli sucked the whole year. But it is saying he played like a slightly above average QB when we need him to at least be very good. Those interceptions in the TB game, Atl game, Philly game 1, Was game 1 and the NO game stand out as game when Eli made rookie like interceptions. Even when he threw interecpeions last year they weren’t for the most part the poor decisions we saw this year. Plus there were a handful of balls Eli got lucky with that could have been intercepted.

5.  Chad Eldred says:

I’m not going to harp on Tynes, but all I have to do is think about Jay Feely versus the Seahawks in 2005 and I’m pretty content with the job Tynes has done. He’s not an “elite” kicker, if there even is such a thing, but we could have had, and could very well could have next season, much worse.

Eli did not have a good season. But any quarterback is dependent for success on so many other factors: coaches; offensive line; skill players; officials; and even the weather.

Blaming Eli Manning for the failures this season is fruitless. Yes, if he’d have played at his best he’d have found a way to win another game or two and we’d be in the playoffs. But without his play early in the season this would have been a team with a high draft pick. He had so many things go against him (certainly including have to live in a building in Hoboken that was badly flooded during Sandy as he tried to prepare for the Steelers) that it’s nearly impossible to count them. I’ve gone over those issues a number of times so won’t bother now, but I cannot end without again stating that this offense goes through Hakeem Nicks and when he is not healthy enough to play at no worse than 90% then no quarterback is going to look very good. My fond hope is that there will be a big change in 2013 when Randle comes on as an outside receiver, but in 2012 defenses were able to pretty much minimize Eli’s easy targets and force the offense out of any rhythm.

•  jfunk says:

+1 on Randle. He certainly has the look of a kid that can win his 1-on-1 match ups if you just put the ball in the area.

If he improves in the off season, having he and a healthy Nicks on the outside with Cruz in the slot should very well be indefensible.

My issue with Eli this year were bad decisions. A less productive passing game isn’t on him because as you stated other factors were clearly in play. I just hope last year wasn’t his one flash of greatness and he isn’t just a very good clutch QB going foward. I think Eli showed last year he can be as good as anyone. But he has to be consistent. I look at Rodgers this year and he faced many of the issues Eli faced but still ended up being almost as good as the prior year. Maybe I think of Eli too highly and that’s why I “blame” him. If though Eli was just another good QB then I wouldn’t blame him. Of course there are others to blame but he’s at the top of list follwed by JPP.

7.  Chad Eldred says:

Eli didn’t have his best year, but I’m not ready to swap him for Romo, Flacco, or the next incarnation of Dave Brown.

8.  jfunk says:

I’ve been one of the biggest Eli apologists over his entire career. I believed in him from the moment I saw him play, even though it was awfully ugly at the beginning.

That being said, I’m sorry but our missing the playoffs should fall on his shoulders, just as winning the Superbowl last year was mostly because he carried the team on those same shoulders.

Eli played poorly most of the year. Not just poorly for Eli, but plain old poorly. Yes, he had some great games and was even good in some of our losses.

But overall, if Eli had played at an average level for the January 2008 – February 2012 Eli, this team would be in the playoffs, period. He didn’t even have to sustain his magical 2011 level….2009 Eli would have had this team in too. Yes, we had a TON of other problems, including a sieve-like defense, but those were all multifaceted issues. Eli Manning, all by himself, just playing up to par, would have gotten 2-3 more wins for the 2012 Giants.

And I still love him. And I still think he’s the best we’ve ever had. And I’d still take him over anybody else in the game if you gave me one drive, down 4, with the Superbowl on the line, right now.

None of that changes the fact that he had a bad year though. I don’t understand how people can have closely watched what he did this season and not see that. Something was wrong with him all year, maybe physically, but definitely mentally. He wasn’t even attempting to read the defense or look off the safety on a lot of plays…just staring down one guy from the moment he got under center like the slack-jawed window-licker he’s been portrayed as for all these years.

He’s better than that and everybody that matters knows it, including his teammates. Heck, maybe his play had something to do with the general malaise on the team. Maybe they saw Eli looking like crap and not snapping out of it and thought “Damn, without him we have no chance” and it sapped their will.

But it doesn’t matter. The odds of him playing like that again next year are so infinitesimal that it’s irrelevant, nor is there anything that can be done to prepare or mitigate it anyway. All that can be done is to fix as many of the other holes on the team as possible and hope he shows up looking like his old self.

•  Krow says:

There was definitely something weird with the general team attitude this year. I’m not even sure exactly what it was … or why. But they lacked something.

•  JimStoll says:

Eli will forever suffer from not being Peyton.
          Peyton just took a .500 team to 13-3, the No. 1 seed, and odds on favorite to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl, and he did it after missing an entire year, rehabbing serious nerve damage in his throwing arm, and on a team without a running back or any great WR.
          when you see a singular player so thoroughly transform the fate of a team, it makes everyone pale by comparison.
          and when a player like Eli has a long stretch of sub-par games, as he did this year, and that other someone is your brother, you get doubly-criticized

I just think Eli had a poor year. Plain and simple. Maybe having his brother playing does affect him because last year was clearly Eli’s best.

Peyton is the best QB I have seen in my life but he’s been average for him in the playoffs. He needs another SB. I hope he gets it because history wise much like Lebron he won’t be remembered for as great as he is without at least 2 SBs IMO.

9.  Hanshi says:

Unrestricted free agents we likely re-sign
    T Will Beatty
    TE Martellus Bennett
    QB David Carr
    OL Sean Locklear
    S Kenny Phillips
    LB Keith Rivers
    K Lawrence Tynes
    G Kevin Boothe

Unrestricted free agents would be nice to re-sign
    LB Chase Blackburn
    WR Domenik Hixon

Unrestricted free agents we likely won’t re-sign
    WR Rames Barden
    TE Travis Beckum
    DT Rocky Bernard
    CB Bruce Johnson
    RB Kregg Lumpkin
    DL Shaun Rogers
    CB Justin Tryon
    DE Osi Umenyiora
    CB Brian Witherspoon

Why KP a likely re-sign? Not that I wouldn’t want him back because I do but at this point it doesn’t seem likely.

10.  nynate says:

Is there any sequence of events that could happen to get Lovie Smith here as our defensive co-ordinator?

I definitely see the possibility of us cutting ties with Fewell this season after two years of pathetic defensive rankings in terms of yards and points, as well as many questionable game planning decisions. But I’m not sure if Lovie would be willing to take the perceived backward step from a head coach position. The only real enticement I can see for him would be a better chance at winning the Lombardi than a head coaching gig at a loser team like the Chiefs or Bills.

I would much rather have Smith here letting our defence play aggressively and to their strengths than another soft, passive, read and react season under Fewell.

•  kujo says:

Not going to happen.

Wouldn’t matter if it did–Lovie runs ostensibly the same scheme that Periwinkle does, only with actual living breathing linebackers to support it rather than imposters like we have.

•  nynate says:

Yeah I can’t see it happening either, but I would love to come on here one day and see that we have done a deal to trade with the Bears and were getting Lovie and Urlacher for Fewell and a third or fourth round pick!

Urlacher said he only wants to play for Lovie so Reese should start working on a package deal now.