January 2nd, 2013 at 11:45 AM

New York Giants safety Stevie Brown capped off his breakout season with a six-tackle, one-interception game against the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday. Appropriately, his performance was recognized by the league, which announced on Wednesday that he has been named NFC Defensive Player of the Week for week 17.

This is Brown's second Player of the Week award this season, having previously won it following an impressive week eight performance against the Dallas Cowboys in which he accounted for three takeaways.

With this award, Brown becomes the first safety in Giants franchise history to win the award multiple times in the same season.

A potential Restricted Free Agent (RFA), Brown revealed earlier this week that the Giants plan to place a tender on him. However, it is not yet known what type of tender it will be.

The 25-year-old Brown finished his first season with the Giants with 77 tackles, 11 passes defended , two forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and eight interceptions which were returned for a franchise record 307 yards (also ranked 4th in NFL history for a single-season).

Photo Credit: Mike Gannon

Tags: Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Philadelphia, Philadelphia Eagles, Stevie Brown

35 Responses to “New York Giants’ Stevie Brown Named NFC Defensive Player of the Week for Week 17”

1.  Levito says:

I think the Giants will tender him while they try to figure out/work out something with KP. Maybe they’re willing to let KP test FA waters and if he doesn’t get an offer he likes, the Giants could make a Terrell Thomas-style offer. If something doesn’t work out with KP and he ends up signing somewhere else, then they’ll see if they can work out a long-term deal with Stevie Brown.

That’s just my take though…

Demo -

I think would give Witherspoon a look. Much like Hixon this year I wouldn’t be counting on him but he could be an upgrade at the 4th or 5th CB if healthy. His injury was way before the year so he should have a good chance to be healthy from OTAs. It seemed like his ACL wasn’t too bad since they had said maybe he could be back this year.

Tynes is a tough call. I agree about his limitations but I can’t discount his clutchness and for kickers that’s a big deal. Look at the redskins kicker this year. The rookie was great but then comes up small on a FG in their bigest game. They won so it didn’t matter. I think I would bring him back but have a real challanger in camp that will be given fair chance to beat him out.

Pascoe I have been no fan of his. But he knows the offense and can also play FB. I think he shouldn’t be our 2nd TE but as a 3rd TE he has a little value. I would bring him back but give the PS TE and a late draft pick or a free agent the chance to knock him off the roster. Also it depnds upon the development of Robinson. If Robinson is ready to be the #2 TE then it really shouldn’t matter much either way.

•  demo3356 says:

I like Tynes but he is going to want to make at least what he was making or more. He probably deserves it after kicking 450 FG’s for us this year. I dont think we can afford him and can draft a stud kicker late in the draft
      Witherspoon is toast.. Nice guy, to many injuries and wasnt really good before any of them
      Bear Pascoe is a complete stiff. He may stick because we have nobody at the TE position after Robinson but there will be about 10 UDFA TE’s that would be an upgrade

3.  demo3356 says:

Glad the Giants are tendering Brown. I’m really excited about him and Will hill

4.  demo3356 says:

I’m getting that feeling I get from time to time and right now its telling me KP will not be a Giant next year.. I have a bad feeling he walks. Note this is not what I want in any way but what I see happening. He is going to get paid by a team desperate for Safety help and we wont be able to match it. Book it.

•  G-MenFan says:

I also think he goes. I don’t think he’s ever really like playing for TC. I remember he had some negative things to say about Coughlin after the Giants missed the playoffs in 2010. I ran a search:

“I would love to play for a guy like Rex,” Phillips told WQAM. “He goes to bat for his players. He’ll take the blame, he allows you to be you. He’s not asking you to hide. If you’re a guy who likes to talk, go out and talk, as long as you back it up. His guys are playing for him and I’d love to be a part of that.”

•  demo3356 says:

He;s probably not happy that he was held out of 2-3 games he felt he could have played in during a contract year.. Probably felt like we cost him some $$ even though the team had is best long term interests in mind

•  Levito says:

If anything he should have been held out more. Playing him against Washington (2nd game) was a mistake. It was a setback for his recovery and he was a liability the few plays he was out there. Had he sat that game, he could have made a difference against Baltimore, and Fewell might not have dreamed up his brilliant 4-4 defense.

I agree. Though my wondering mind maybe hope for another outcome. If we pay Brown 2 mil (2nd round tender) I can’t see that as a 3rd or 4th safety. So keeping Brown in a way is a sign that KP won’t be back. Unless Rolle is taking a massive pay cut or is actually cut.

5.  demo3356 says:

I dont think anybody grasps the situation JR faces this off season and how many players will be gone. IF that Link Samardzia posted is anywhere near accurate we are in a world of trouble. It has us about 100,000 below the cap for 2013 and we have 27 free agents… When I keep posting about lists of players that may be cut or not re signed it isn’t what I want but it is the reality of the situation. There is NO WAY to keep all the free agents we want without cutting several players and Restructuring others.. Either way we are going to have 13-17 new faces on our 53 an roster next year.. Book it.

6.  demo3356 says:

Well, I’m off to work. My 21 day vacation ended this morning.. Back to the real world…

7.  Levito says:

What is this clutch kicking by Tynes I’m hearing about? Because he kicked a 30 yarder in the NFC championship last season? So what? Last I checked, he missed his chance to kick the game winner against Philly early in the season. Easily could have been the difference in the season. And he sucked down the stretch, missing FGs in games the Giants lost by small margins. He can’t be trusted to kick anything over 40 yards, and while he was solid at short kicks, he wasn’t so dependable late this season. And everyone loves to bring up his 47 yarder in GB in 2008. It was awesome, and I’ll never forget it. But he also missed 2 chances that would have ended the game earlier.

He’s been pretty solid from the first SB run through the first half of this season. But he’s slipped since then, and I’m ready to move on. It would be nice to have some confidence that your kicker can make something over 40 yards, especially with the game on the line.

•  Valid says:

He missed one game-winner this season in Week 4. Big freaking deal. Even Vinatieri has missed big kicks in his career. Overall, Tynes has been nails.

•  Levito says:

He also missed an easy kick against Washington in a game the Giants lost by 1. He can’t kick anything over 45.

And yes, it is a big deal. Win one of those games and the posts on G101 are about playing the upcoming Wild Card game this weekend, not about which FAs might/might not be resigned.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Redskins ended that game in FG range. Would have kicked game-winner had he made it. He’s not to blame for that game.

But I see the devaluing of a good kicker continues here on G101. As each year passes, it’s the same thing.

•  Levito says:

I’m not devaluing him, I just think he gets too much credit. He gets all the credit for the kicks he makes and none of the blame for the ones he misses (slight exaggeration for emphasis). I wouldn’t mind moving on from him to a kicker who’s capable of hitting one outside 45. I wouldn’t be upset to have him back either.

For the most part Tynes has been a clutch kicker. Yes, he missed the kick in GB but look at those conditions. Then the kick he made was one of the bigger in NFL history considering the game, distance and conditions.

Look at other FG kickers, many are up and down. For example Aikers this year. Or Condiff. Or the GB kicker. It’s hard to get a top Kicker. While there have been several top rookie kickers to me it’s much like QB, this is just a great class and not the norm.

No one has called Tynes great but he’s solid and clutch. I’m not saying you can’t improve the position but realize we are taking a chance if we replace him. I think you bring in a quality young kicker to challenge him. But yo ujust don’t replace him without at least someone beating him out IMO.

Well, I agree with demo that we’ll have plenty of new faces, but among them will probably be at least 4 draftees (out of, presumably, 9, although I’d like to see Reese trade up and get 5-6 top-line players this time around or pull “a Belichick” and trade some picks for future picks), at least one FA pick-up, and 1-2 UDFA’s. Then the questions really are about which veterans will not be returning.

Barden is easy: he’s useless.

Beckum has never been used right by Gilbride. They should let him go where he would be utilized.

Osi is almost surely a goner. Diehl is either going to be playing for just above veteran minimum or gone. Same for Pascoe.

Bernard is gone.

Then come the very tough decisions about restructuring and cutting. It will depend upon the “plan”. We don’t know if they think some of the young players are ready to step in now (seems to me that they have plenty of potential in Tracy, Ojomo, Broha and Trattou; in Brewer; in Paysinger and Williams; in Robinson; and just maybe, based upon the last game of the season, in Herzlich). We know they are going to count heavily on Wilson, Randle, Hosley, both Browns, and Kuhn (if he’s healthy). But we don’t know who they have targeted in free agency (they usually get their man) or what their draft boards look like at this point. All of the above factors will have great influence on the roster decisions.

9.  Valid says:

Ray Lewis is retiring after this season. Told his teammates this will be his “last ride.”

You know what, I’m gonna root for the Ravens to win it now.

•  Levito says:

I’d laugh at what it would do for Flacco’s stock. Someone would give him a big contract only to be disappointed down the road.

Here’s a good link for 2013 free agents:

We have 5 free agents in the top 50:

•  JimStoll says:

based on that link it appears every player in the NFL is a free agent

•  Chad Eldred says:

There is a name on that list that I would love to see in NY. I’m sure that many here will deride and mock, but Gosder Cherilous would be a great fit at RT. He may not have lived up to expectations coming out of college, but he is not nearly as bad as many would have you believe. He is a very solid RT and light years ahead of what we have had at the position over the last two seasons.