December 25th, 2012 at 1:00 PM
By Jen Polashock

'Aaron Rodgers, Osi Umenyiora' photo (c) 2012, Mike Morbeck - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ As 2012 nears to close, there are a few that will voice their regrets and make resolutions. New York Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora is one of them. Last week, he told USA Today about his actions and looking back on them, including how he went about trying to get a new contract.

"A lot of regrets. I completely went about it the wrong way. Honestly, if I would've handled it differently, it wouldn't even be a question about finishing my career here or not. But I didn't," Umenyiora said. "If I would've gone about it quietly and not said anything, I think I would've really got what I wanted. But the fact I came out and was open, speaking and talking all the time, that's what pushed them into this situation."

“This situation” is the final straw, so to speak, which pushed General Manager Jerry Reese into giving Umenyiora an “out” to his original 2005 contract extension that was through the end of the 2013 season. Instead, #72 agreed to a one-year increased salary for this season ($6 million – up from a bit over $4 million) and that null last year in said contract extension.

Osi Umenyiora is 31 and will be entering the 2013 free agency with ‘12 stats (entering week 17) of: six sacks, 39 tackles (26 solo), two forced fumbles and a pass batted down in partial playing time. Teams will have to look at the entire 10-year career of this regretful pass-rusher. Some fans may not and that seemingly bothers him.

“Nobody's really going to understand from the player's perspective and it's asinine for me to expect them to. A lot of people, when they see me, all they think about is that, all they talk about is contract and this and that. Forget I've been here 10 years and all of the stuff I've done here. All they think about is contract. I hate that some people have that impression. But there's nobody to blame but myself. I could've definitely handled it a lot smarter than I did," Umenyiora added. "Because it's not like that. Anybody who knows me knows what type of person I really am.”

Umenyiora really doesn’t know what he had until it’s almost gone… Although he admits the two sides have had a grand total of zero contract talks.

Tags: Football, Jerry Reese, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Osi Umenyiora

15 Responses to “New York Giants’ Osi Umenyiora Has a Lot of Regrets as He Enters Potential Finals Days with Team”

1.  dremac82 says:

At least he finally realizes it’s his own damn fault.

Merry Christmas everyone!

2.  Chad Eldred says:

You’re wrong Osi. I will remember the Osi that sparked fear in the hearts of opposing QB’s. They guy that perfected the strip-sack. I won’t forget the Osi that whined about his contract, but I will never let that overshadow the great memories. If we choose to focus on the negative, what the hell is the point of being a fan?

I don’t want to see him go. He’s been a big part of our past success. But after 15 games he’s got 40 tackles … 6 sacks … and 2 forced fumbles. Not bad, but how much more than $6,000,000 does he think that’s worth?

… and there’s a quote I remember from a GM … wish I could recall the specifics … but it went like this …

‘Most players never learn how to say “thank you” till it’s time to say “goodbye”‘.

5.  jfunk says:

I actually think the odds of Osi being a Giant in 2013 are better at this moment than they were in August, because I think the odds of Justin Tuck not being a Giant have gone up substantially.

If Tuck goes, the Giants will put some effort into bringing Osi back.

6.  rlhjr says:

Would not mind seeing both Osi and Tuck gone. This team has to take some steps backward in order to go forward. Between cap money and overpaid vets not playing at a high level all the life has been sucked out of this franchise.

The Giants need to get young, big fast and aggressive on both sides of the ball. It’s going to take at least two draft cycles maybe three.

Canty is a waste of money, and it seems Austin is as well. Beckum, Barden, Diehl, Snee, Bernard is just getting old. Gotta go, gotta go. All of them.

The D-line looks like JPP, Kiwi, Tracy, Ojo, Joseph and Kuhn.
    They need help at DT and DE. Free agents of draft picks? Both?

Linebackers: Boley, Williams, Pysinger….?????????????
    Lord knows they need help here. All three are WIL backers. There is nothing or nobody else worth talking about. Free agents or draft picks?

I really hope no one is depending on Terrell Thomas. Be for real he’s been away from the game a long time. The safeties are fine even without Phillips.
    Webster is through. Prince, Jayron, and a draft pick is the corner back picture.

Offensive Line? Beatty, Boothe, ????????????????????
    I think Snee gets a (Family) pass but he’s hot garbage pass or run blocking.
    They need a dependable center and a power blocking ROT.
    Here we can pray the project youngster’s drafted will suddenly become players.
    There are plenty of holes, and not enough money or draft picks to fill them.

Insurance on offense means drafting a powerful big back to complement Wilson.
    And hopefully Brown comes back fully healthy. No problems there.

Wide receiver insurance is really a must for Nicks. After Nicks Cruz and Randle not much to talk about. Hixson is a keeper. The dude is dependable and can play specials.

It would be nice to have a healthy Bennett around, but I don’t know if the money is there to keep him. Love “Hynusaurus”. Robinson might emerge as a good player next year. So count the draft picks and the money.
    There is plenty of scouting and budgeting work to be done.

7.  G-MenFan says:

I would love to see both Tuck and Osi stay. But with a third of the franchises in this league run by do-****, someone will overpay for both of them. And I won’t blame either player for taking the money at this point.

2013 starts the JPP/somebody else era.

8.  G-MenFan says:

**do-tardz.

9.  Hardcharger says:

You will have to throw Webster’s name in players that should not be back. I really hope there are changes next year. I hope both Fewell & Gilbride get head coaching gigs elsewhere. I hate to say this but it really is time for change! I just hope JR & TC have the gonads to make those changes. Time will tell. And here we thought when the season started we had a top tier defense and offense, fool’s gold. Now the next question is; who are the free agents we should go after and if we do have any coaching changes, who are viable options?

10.  Hardcharger says:

Is there a way to log-in on the IPhone? Any assistance will be appreciated.