New York Giants’ Justin Tuck: I Don’t Know If I’ll Play on Sunday

December 21st, 2012 at 10:30 AM

'Justin Tuck' photo (c) 2012, Mike Morbeck - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ New York Giants defensive end Justin Tuck feels the Baltimore Ravens will present Big Blue with opportunities to get to quarterback Joe Flacco on Sunday, but he doesn't know if he'll be on the field to take advantage.

After missing his second straight practice on Thursday with a shoulder issue, Tuck said he's unsure about his status for this weekend.

"I don't know. We'll see," Tuck said about playing in week 16.

Head coach Tom Coughlin sounded slightly more optimistic about Tuck's availability, saying that he'll likely get some work in during Friday's practice and that it will be taken from there. However, he wouldn't commit to the veterans potential availability.

"I think we’ll get him some work [Friday]," Coughlin said. "He’s feeling better every day."

With the Giants defensive line already struggling, losing their best run defender would only compound an already negative problem. And with running back Ray Rice ready to shoulder a significant workload, the Giants will need all of their run stoppers to come up big on Sunday.

Tags: Baltimore, Baltimore Ravens, Football, Justin Tuck, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin

20 Responses to “New York Giants’ Justin Tuck: I Don’t Know If I’ll Play on Sunday”

It just seems more and more like he’s ready to move on from professional football.

•  James Stoll says:

It really does. It’s a shame. I remember his first appearances in ’05 and saying wow, who is this guy. He was the best player on the field by far in the ’07 super bowl. He was looking great in 08 before the leg feature; same in 09 before the shoulder. He re-emerged in 10 but last year was of course legendary for it’s futility until the very end.
      Now that shoulder looks like it’s inhibiting him again.
      Could be his swan song. Maybe he sits and Ojomo sees the field Sunday. A little raw rookie passion may be just what the doctor ordered.

So the Ravens are tough and we are not? Sorry that’s complete bs. We are a finese team but the dirty little thruth is the Raven are too. Don’t believe me let’s looking at rushing stats. We rank 15th in rushing, they rank 22nd. We have slightly more attempts and own the advantage in ypg 4.5 to 4.2. Ok but our rush defense sucks so that doesn’t matter right? Wrong! We rank a poor 22nd vs the run but the Ravens rank 26th. We do give up more yards per rush. But the point is that if anything we are very similar teams. Two teams by name and reputation seem physical but are both finese teams that win through the air and with TOs. The Ravens total defense is only 3 yards per game better than ours.

I know it sounds simple but the key to me is playing clean football. We will move the ball versus Bmore but have to convert in the redzone and not turn the football over. The other key is no big plays. Flacco maybe has the best arm in the NFL and has to WRs in Smith and Jones who are dangerous deep threats. This game KP could really be a help by helping take away Bmore’s deep game.

•  James Stoll says:

Hard to analyze based on stats since they don’t really reflect the ups and downs in any given week. But there is no doubt the Ravens are in free fall and have played a lot of bad football. But then there is our team. Over the last 5 weeks we’ve played 2 sensational games, turned in 2 horrific efforts, and choked our way through the Redskins game. The only constant in all those game is that whether it was Cincy, NO, Atlanta or Washington, every one of those team’s ran the ball down our throats. Despite their overall stats, the Ravens have one of the best RBs in the league. If they have the intelligence to be patient with the run, they can take over the game, control the ball fir 40+ minutes and beat us in a 15-6 snoozed.
      We are still one of the worst red zone team’s in the league; probably the all time worst for a contender. We can’t run to save our lives, and our o-line gets worse by the week. If we have Cordle and Diehl on the right side come Sunday, look out. As bad a guard as Snee has become, and make no mistake, he flat out stinks these days, Cordle is orders of magnitude worse
      The only chance the Giants have is a Wilson kick return for a touch; an early turnover, and a quick 2+ score lead.
      The team can do it, especially if their down one week, up the next, trend continues, but that is what they must do. Get behind, or be within one score either way, and this bunch of blue pansy-a$$ front runners will lose.
      Remember, there ain’t no magic in Eli’s arm this season.

Our redzone offense hasn’t been great but it’s a bit overblown as the link below shows:

While we might not have a back as good as Rice our running game is still better. If Snee doesn’t play that will hurt but Bmore isn’t a top defense regardless.

This is a pretty even game if everything was even. But with our desperation you have to favor us, at least slightly. If you look at Bmore’s schedule since they beat the Pats in week 3 their only impressive performance was versus the Raiders. They have been fortunate the win several games so their record might be even poorer than 9-6.

3.  Levito says:

For a time that’s thrived on believing they’ve been disrespected in the past, I don’t see why the D line wouldn’t see the comments by Harbaugh as motivation. If they’re such a “proud” unit, they should be ready to explode and slap Flacco around all afternoon.

The key to winning this game, defensively, is going to be to keep Ray Rice in control. The Ravens are a team which is quick to give up on the run if things aren’t going well, and Rice has carried the ball over 16 times in a loss only once this season. Take him out of the game and force Flacco to beat them. Assuming Prince can play, and Fewell’s smart enough to leave him on Torrey Smith, the rest of the defense should be able to tee off on Flacco.

4.  OoberLlama says:

I suspect Tuck is saying he isn’t sure if he’ll play, regardless of whether or not he is actually on the field.

•  jfunk says:

His act is growing even more tired by the minute, which is really saying something because I didn’t think it could get any more tired while I watched it last year.

I really didn’t want to get out of bed today. I tried feeling sorry for myself, but I was turned away at the register. Apparently Justin Tuck and used up the entire New York area’s stock of feeling sorry for yourself. There’s supposed to be a new shipment in on Sunday, but Tuck has people camped out at the door already waiting to buy it all as it’s unloaded from the truck.

•  Krow says:

I can get it that after 8 professional campaigns … and 4 years of college ball … that a man might simply have had enough. He’s made his money … collected two rings. He’s pretty much done it all. No matter what happens next we fans have gotten our full measure from Tuck … and more.

And he’s not playing bad … but he’s not the Justin Tuck of old. Football has to be played with emotion … with passion … with anger. And if his heart’s gone out of it then he may as well call it a career.

•  jfunk says:

Agreed. I would hold no grudge nor think any less of Justin Tuck as a person if he had simply had enough football for one lifetime. I have no problem with guys that walk away while they can still walk.

I just get tired of listening to him whine. He’s a professional entertainer, I don’t care about his existential crises. If doesn’t want to play any more, he should stop playing. But as long as he keeps choosing to show up for work and cash his paycheck, I expect him to play fast and hard and keep his sad thoughts between he and his people.

•  jfunk says:

For the record, I thought Tuck looked like one of the few guys still playing hard in the 4th quarter last week.

Justin Tuck is the only player not practicing today. His shoulder is heavily wrapped. Doubt he plays on Sunday. #nyg

Look many have questioned Tuck’s will when he’s playing but he always suits up. If he’s not playing in this game that means his shoulder has some serious ish going on with his shoulder. It’s not just him whipping out because whatever you want to call him that’s not Tuck. He has poor body language and maybe not a true leader but he gets on the field. I know we are disappointed in his season but let’s not forget how Tuck always plays.

•  Krow says:

Playing DE in the NFL is a rough way to make a living. I bet Tuck hurts every day during the season … and for some time afterwards. He wouldn’t be crazy for wanting to do something else with his life.

That being said I think the way Bmore plays Prince and KP are more important. Osi, Kiwi and Tracy can eat up Tuck’s DE snaps and a similar performance level. But against Bmore we need a deep safety who specializes in playing the deep ball. As well as our best CB who can hopefully lockup their best WR. Tuck is a loss but not one that makes this game more difficult to win. I wonder if Ojomo is active. While we have 4 DEs still including Kiwi if someone gets banged up without Tuck our numbers are low. I think Rivers even Tracy play a lot at linebacker and we see Kiwi at almost exclusively DE.

7.  Valid says:

Hard to believe how dominant of a force this man once was. Shame how short it lasted, too.

8.  jfunk says:

This has such a different feel than last year and it’s not good.

There’s no cavalry coming this year. We don’t have a bunch of guys nursing minor injuries. All the injured guys are REALLY injured. Most of them are toughing it out more often than not.

There’s no “lack of intensity” that can be fixed with a pep rally. By all accounts, everybody is “all in”, they’re just legitimately hurt or plain old underperforming on the field.

That means we cannot hope for some sudden change in team dynamic to provide a boost like we saw last year. The season can only be saved by a specific group of guys. The guys that are healthy, but for whatever reason not performing well enough. There’s no other way.

I’d honestly feel better if there were rumors that guys weren’t working hard. That would mean there’s a known cure, getting them motivated. But that doesn’t appear to be the case. They’re trying but they just can’t figure out why it’s not translating to plays being made in the moment.

Where the hell is my pixie dust?

•  Valid says:

We were 7-7 at this point last season coming off an embarrassing home loss to the then lowly Redskins. You’re telling me you felt better heading into Week 16 last year than you do this year?

•  Syed Sohail Shah says:

Valid, I agree I think while as bad as it may seem, we are in a butter situation than last year sort of. Our record is better, we still control out own destiny and can get in by winning the division (as tough as that may be) or a wild card spot. You never know what you get with this team. History tells us that they deliver when it matters the most, so lets hope it’s true. Go Big Blue.