New York Giants’ Andre Brown Vows to Be Ready for Super Bowl XLVII

December 18th, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Although he's designated to return, the only way New York Giants running back Andre Brown will suit up again this season is if Big Blue takes the field on February 3rd in New Orleans for Super Bowl XLVII. As a result, he's turned into the team's biggest cheerleader and is doing his very best to will them to win.

"I told them, and I’m wearing this shirt [a Super Bowl XLVI shirt] trying to get there," said Brown. "I told them that if they get me there I’ll take care of the rest. I’m going to run like a bat out of hell. Just get me there, guys. I’m hungry. I want it. That’s why I’m working so hard to get back out there."

Brown, who broke his fibula during a 38-10 victory over the Green Bay Packers in week 12, had surgery three weeks ago and is already off crutches. He said recovery time is generally between four to five weeks, but because he was placed on the NFL's new short-term IR after week 12, he's not eligible to return until the week prior to the Super Bowl.

Still, the 2009 fourth-round pick remains confident in his team and that he'll play again this season.

"I have confidence in the guys," Brown said. "I know they’re going to pull it out and I know I’m going to be playing in the postseason. I just hate waiting and hate not being able to help."

Prior to going on Injured Reserve (IR), Brown was having a breakout season. He had rushed for 385 yards on 73 carries (5.3 ypc) and scored eight touchdowns. He also hauled in 12 receptions for 86 yards.

Tags: Andre Brown, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL

16 Responses to “New York Giants’ Andre Brown Vows to Be Ready for Super Bowl XLVII”

1.  kinsho says:

Run like a bat out of hell…..love it!

The Giants could use some of his passion and hunger right now. He and Ahmad need to come back to give this team some life, at least on offense.

•  James Stoll says:

If Andre could come back for the WC round I’d look at this as maybe something to inspire us, but he’s saying, come on guys, win the NFC Championship without me and then I’ll take over for the super bowl.
      Not sure Bradshaw or Wilson (since he’d have to contribute mightily for us to get that far) would go for that
      But I at least get his sentiment

2.  kinsho says:

Also, what’s up with the maternity veil that Andre Brown is wearing in that picture? Is there any purpose to that?

3.  Begiant says:

Easy to say…harder to do

4.  kinsho says:

James Stoll says:
    December 18, 2012 at 9:33 AM

As a follow up, the TC era has been a study in contradictions. Crazy fast starts; horrible finishes; epic collapses; incredible and unlikely super bowl runs. There has been a lot of player continuity over the past 5 seasons so one cannot simply point to turnover as a reason for the more recent ups and downs.
    So here is what I think is at the root. George Younf once declared Bill Belicheck to be the worst human being in football. And 20+ years later that is pretty much a universal sentiment. Bill is not the devil, but certainly he has made a pact with the devil, hence the Patriots incredible 12 years of high octane success.
    But making a pact with the devil has it’s price: gods wrath.
    And so God searches for ways to make the perils of dancing with the devil apparent to all. How does he do it? He pits the best QB in the history of the game against the most erratic QB ever spawned. It pits a genius against a befuddled if good-hearted dimwit. He sends an undefeated team plaing always at home against a barely .500 team who has to travel and travel and travel. And then he takes the game down to the final drive, nay the final play, and has that play be the most unthinkable, unimaginable, incredible play possible, which cuts the heart out of the devil’s angel for at least a moment. In short, makes the hapless Giants the foil for the perfect Patriots.
    The problem is that for those whimsical Giants, their annual fate is tied directly to that of the Patriots. They exist only to combat the greater evil. If the Patriots are derailed anywhere along the way, the Giants are not needed. As this year winds to a close there is Houston in Houston and Denver in Denver that stand in the Patriots way. Their ability to return to the super bowl is at issue and should they not the Giants are not needed. If god has already knows that the Pats will fall short this season, and we know he does, then the giants are not needed and the embarrassing brand of football they otherwise play can be mercifully ended in 2 weeks.

5.  jfunk says:

Banged up Nicks, subpar blocking, subpar 3rd WR production, etc, etc.

I’m sorry, but Eli is still a problem on offense. Not because he’s not our best player, but because he’s not doing what we (and his coaches and teammates) have every reason to expect of him.

All those other issues don’t make him miss guys when they are open deep. They don’t make him stare down a single target for 5 seconds right from the snap without making any progressions. They don’t make him overlook wide open guys waving their hands in the air to throw into double or triple coverage instead.

Eli is the best QB we’ve ever had and I love him to death, but right now he is doing less to help this team win than he has at any point in his career (minus his rookie season). Even at a his worst, he’s always reliably hit the deep ball. His accuracy down field is flat out bad right now.

All other things being equal, if 2011 Eli were playing right now we’d have at least 2 more wins and be talking about whether or not we can get a BYE.

•  Levito says:

Agree 100%

•  James Stoll says:

There is no question Eli is having a poor season. But really, the entire offense save Victor Cruz stinks. Bad running backs. Horrific o-line. No Nicks. Bennett – meh.
      3d WRs – fuggeddaboudit.
      Tough to win that way

•  Levito says:

Eli’s definitely not the biggest problem on this team, not even close. If he played out of his mind, like he did last season, the Giants would be in a lot better shape. But he shouldn’t have to. If the D line played like they did at the end of last season, and the O line played half-decently, this team would be in a way better position. If all that happened, and Eli elevated his level of play, this team would be dominant.

Unfortunately none of the 3 are happening. The one which appears most likely to happen is Eli wakes up and carries this team. I’ve seen nothing to suggest the O line will suddenly play like a competent group of football players. And I have no reason to believe the D line will suddenly start earning their enormous paychecks.

6.  Eric S says:

“[Last year] don’t mean nothing,” defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul warned of the Giants relying on their experience from last year. “You have to go out and play. That was last year. All that talk that we been here before, forget all that. I’m tired of hearing it. We just have to go out and play. There’s no we been here before.”

I sometimes get the feeling that there’s a leadership battle going on in the locker room with guys like Antrel Rolle and JPP trying to bring out the nasty and growing tired of the existential whining of Tuck and the “we’ve been here before, we’re better than this” platitudes of Osi.

7.  James Stoll says:

I’m afraid the Giants are toast. I think 8-8 is the moat likely result. Followed by John Mara saying he’s disgusted and heads
    will roll. Then
    The assistant to the assistant to the assistant middle linebackers coach will be fired.
    And then we’ll start 2013 6-2….

Don’t get me wrong,I’m still hopin’.
    But right now things look grim.

I’m complete agreement with Jfunk. I said early this year that now that we have seen Eli being great game in, game out for one season I expect that every season, every game. Of course there will always be a subpar game here and there. But this year Eli really hasn’t played to the level our football team was designed to succed at. If Eli was playing at last year’s level we woul be 11-3 (10-4 at worse) because overall the other parts of the team are better. While we are not as good as WR I think it’s a bit overblown. MM missed quite a few games last year and Nicks still missed a few and was banged up for another couple as well. Bennett is better than Ballard. The OL is better. And the RBs have been better. The DL might be worse be overall to this point I think the defense has been better than last year. The main difference is Eli. We need the great Eli. Or at least the very good version. He’s made too many horrible decisions for a QB so good. It’s time for him to step up. In a win or go home game he has to outplay Flacco.

I’m not down on Eli. I just respect what he’s done enough the last few seasons that I rightly expect much more from him. The protection has been good enough. Eli is just making bad decisions and bad throws. With his back agianst the wall I would be very surprised if the Eli we know and love didn’t show up Sunday.

•  James Stoll says:

Eli’s played mostly badly for 14 weeks. Seaon long slump! Can he play better? Sure. Will he? Doubtful. Next year.

While we as fans all want to win and are disappointed with losses are not playing up to our potential I do think some take for granted how hard it is to win in the NFL. Add to that the natural let down from winning the year before. We have some spots that can use upgrades but our issues to me have little to do with being talented enough. It might be simply we need to come into the year hunting and not the hunted. This team is not the 2009 version that was out of bullets. I think this team is at a cross roads of between 2010 and 2011. The team can go either way.

This game is very similar to the Packers game from 2010. We lost a bad game the week before but still held our playoff fate in our hands. I think in 2010 that Philly game broke us. The Atlanta game while a horrible loss isn’t in the same zip code in bad losses with the 2010 Philly game. We should be able to respond from this loss without the carryover we clearly had in 2010. But this is no easy game. While Bmore is struggled greatly lately this is a proud franchise much like us. We have to expect their best shot. And if we get that we have to play well to win.

I think given we still control our way into the playoffs too much focus is on what went wrong. We don’t know if anything went wrong yet. There will be plenty of time to analyze that we our season is actually over. Now I think everything needs to be focused on the ravens.