Jack Pinto Laid to Rest in Jersey of New York Giants WR Victor Cruz

December 17th, 2012 at 1:00 PM

At this very moment, the parents of Jack Pinto are doing the unimaginable. They are burying their six-year-old son, who was a victim of Friday's mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut.

Young Jack, a huge fan of the New York Football Giants, will be among the first of 27 innocent victims who will be buried this holiday season. Six-year-old Noah Pozner, who was described as "smart as a whip," will also be laid to rest today.

On Sunday, wide receiver Victor Cruz, who was Jack's idol and "hero", honored the boy by writing his name on both his cleats and gloves with the inscription "R.I.P Jack Pinto" and "My Hero." And now, as young Jack is laid to rest, he will find peace wearing Cruz's jersey.

"There's no words that can describe the type of feeling that you get when a kid idolizes you so much that unfortunately they want to put him in the casket with your jersey on. I can't even explain it," Cruz said.

Cruz plans to deliver both the gloves and cleats used in Sunday's game to the family, whom he also wishes to spend time with.

“When a family is facing that much tragedy,” Cruz added, “you want to be someone that inspires them and can put a smile on their face in a time where it’s tough to do that.”

In addition to Cruz's gloves and cleats, the entire team inscribed "S.H.E.S." on the back of their helmets to pay tribute to all of those who lost their lives on Friday.

Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with the families of those lost, the community and all of those affected by this unspeakable tragedy. And for Jack and his family, please remember: "Once a Giant, always a Giant!"

You need to satisfy your competitive drive, so why not beat our experts in fantasy football. At FightClub, our official Fantasy Football partner, you can change you team weekly and win cash. Get a free $5 credit when you sign up and try them out. And each week, Sports Media 101 will sweeten the pot and award the player with top points an extra $25. Match-up and show them how good you are. Can you handle FightClub?

Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!

Tags: Football, Jack Pinto, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Victor Cruz

10 Responses to “Jack Pinto Laid to Rest in Jersey of New York Giants WR Victor Cruz”

1.  Levito says:

Well, that article was hard to get through.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Most difficult piece I’ve ever written hands down.

•  demo3356 says:

Heartbreaking.. As a father of 3 including a 7 year old, this has had a really saddening effect on me. I’ll never understand as long as I live have someone could do something this reprehensible. I have spent the last ten years of my life Coaching Children between the ages of 5-14 and the thought of anyone harming ANY child sickens me beyond belief. The more time I spend reading about our watching the news about this story the more faith I lose in the human race

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Demo, I couldnt agree more. It’s sickening. In ways, this might be worst than 9/11 ( here comes the onslaught of endless posts to that comment).

i’m not a father, But i’m an Uncle to a 5 and 6 year old. Spent all weekend with them.

Everywhere we went people looked at them and you knew exactly what they were thinking about.

Oh, And Demo. being in the Military when I was younger made me lose my faith in humanity long before this.

2.  NOLAGiant says:

The picture in this article made me cry more than once this morning. RIP to all the victims as they are laid to rest.

3.  rlhjr says:

Victor, it’s called love. Pure and simple love. And as a professional athelete this is yet another thing you have to be considerate of. I think Cruz did a fine job in complying. And I hope he never forgets what inspired this young boy’s affection for him and for the team he plays for.

You’ll never find any better reason to play your rear off for, than the love of a child. Dear God, this really hurts me because I’m crying. But I feel nothing compaired to those parents.

I’m glad Victor Cruz sent those things up to Connecticut. I hope he doesn’t think they matter all that much. Professional athletes can serve as inspirations for young people, but they can never matter nearly as much as parents, families, friends, teachers, neighbors and communities. It’s okay for kids to treat them as heroes, but there were REAL heroes among those victims. That school principal and psychologist who tried to stop that madman are worth more than the entire population of the NFL, and I hope that young men like Cruz fully understand that.

5.  tman540 says:

Heartbreaking indeed.

How does a team whose playing for so much come out and put up 0 points -_-

Makes no sense whatsoever.

•  demo3356 says:

I think if anything it had the opposite effect on the team. Probably made them as sick, depressed and shocked as the rest of us. I know I was a sullen, saddened man who spent most of the weekend down in the dumps. Couldn’t even get angry or scream at the TV once during yesterdays debacle. Normally I am throwing ish and dropping FBombs. Yesterday I was pretty much ‘Whatever” watching it. I heard Eli broke down in an interview and couldn’t finish his train of thought.