Eli Manning Passess Phil Simms as New York Giants’ All-Time Completions Leader

December 17th, 2012 at 11:25 AM
By Simon Garron-Caine

While Eli Manning and the New York Giants were being humiliated by Matt Ryan, Julio Jones and the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday afternoon, Manning took one small record books step forward by passing Phil Simms as the Giants all-time completions leader.

'Phil Simms is always with us' photo (c) 2010, Marianne O'Leary - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Simms' 2,576 completions now looks up at Manning's 2,585, although Eli still has 2,293 yards to go before he tops Simms' mark in that category.

This small bit of record-keeping will perhaps get lost after Sunday's 34-0 loss to the Falcons, but it's nice to keep in perspective the kind of franchise quarterback Manning has become.

Tags: Atlanta Falcons, Eli Manning, Football, Julio Jones, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Phil Simms

56 Responses to “Eli Manning Passess Phil Simms as New York Giants’ All-Time Completions Leader”

Eli has absolutely not had his finest season. But if you look objectively at the numbers he’s kind of average. We just expect so much more of him that ‘average’ seems like the bottom of the barrel.

•  Levito says:

Looking purely at the numbers, it’s his worst season since 2007. Ignoring the numbers, it’s his worst season since he took over the job. He’s missing his receivers on almost every deep shot, whereas last season he was hitting them almost every time. And he’s just been late way too often on his passes. He’s not hitting the WRs coming out of their breaks like he was last season. And he’s also making bad decisions. Why would you ever throw a curl route when the defender is Asante Samuel? He’s throwing into double coverage when other receivers are wide open.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not hating on Eli, I love the guy. But something doesn’t appear right. We all know he’s inconsistent, but capable of being the best in the league. But even in his best games this season, he’s missed some big opportunities and made some bad decisions.

•  Valid says:

I really can’t believe so many people are overlooking the fact that his No. 1 receiver has been hobbled all year. That plays a HUGE role.

•  kinsho says:

He’s definitely had too many bad games this season that they can’t be written off. It feels like he’s had yet to hit his stride.

I don’t sense that same spark in him that I did from last year. Last year, he was hitting all the right notes at the right times and connecting regularly with his receivers. Granted, this year he doesn’t have Manningham and Nicks is hobbled, but he’s still not taking advantage of key opportunities. His deep balls either go too far or are underthrown. His short-yardage throws seem to lack the precise zip that you would expect from an elite QB. And his reading of defensive alignments has definitely taken a hit this season.

Something’s just not right with Eli so far.

You know if you put Phil Simms next to Eli Manning … and asked who had the higher yards per completion … I be Eli would win. He’s got the reputation as a long bomber. But the truth is that it’s Phil. Weird.

•  rlhjr says:

Not weird.
      Parcells screamed at Simms for his gun slinger attitude from day one. Despite his calm country boy demeanor, Phil Simms wanted to sling the ball wide and deep. And he did not care much for Parcells running game/field position take on winning football.
      Simms is still one of my favorite Giants ever.

3.  demo3356 says:

LOL! Its like Groundhog day around here.. Monday morning after a horrific week 15 loss and the same characters are jumping off the bus the same way they did this team last year. Just like last year I’m here to remind them that 2 wins and the Giants are in. Go back and read the threads from this day last year and it will be like the twilight zone. I actually believe that the team was in worst shape last year and things looked bleaker than they do now. Last year we were 7-7 and had only one win over a winning team (Pats) up to that point. We were swept by a TERRIBLE skins team and got murdered in a doom by the Saints and looked heartless. The same ole characters were crying how we were done because we had no pass rush and couldn’t cover anyone. I’m not kidding either.. Go back and look at the threads.. Many mocked me for guaranteeing the Giants winning the last 2 and getting into the dance and were screaming for the heads of TC, PF and KG at the end of the coming 7-9 debacle.
    Chin up folks, we have 2 games left against teams that ARE sinking Ships. One has lost 9 out of ten and is about to clean house tip to bottom and the other has just fired their OC and is banged up all over the place on both sides of the ball. This team for whatever reason sleep walks through games that it doesn’t deem a must win and only plays up to their level when their backs are COMPLETELY up against the wall. As Maddening as it is, it has worked for them. Win out of lose out I (as does Krow) see a big roster turnover after this season. Too many fat cats that make too much money and two many young guys about to hit FA. I think they will find a way to win these last 2 games and get into the dance.

•  Valid says:

Thank God for posters like demo and GOAT who make sure I am not the only optimist around here.

•  demo3356 says:

Valid, Same thing every year. It is amazing how much more traffic and pontificating goes on after a loss than a win.

•  demo3356 says:

Dont get me wrong, I am pissed about the inconsistent play and the we can flip the switch mentality It drives me crazy and is why I see the need for some house cleaning after the season. Many here want to blame Coughlin, but believe me it is on the players.. Motivating a bunch of Modern Day Multi Millionaire professional athletes that have already reached the peak twice is not the simple task many think. This is part of why it is so hard to repeat and why it hardly ever happens.

4.  demo3356 says:

A lot of Eli’s Problems are due to the Combination of Nicks being a shell of himself and No Mario Mannigham. Bennett s knee issues aren’t helping either. He went from a full stable of healthy explosive weapons to Victor Cruz and A banged up Nicks / Bennett.

•  rlhjr says:

REPOST:

Demo, when a lot of us did not believe last year, you did. And that is a credit to your love of your team. So I hope that once again your perspective is a good one. Right now, I feel like I’m back in school and the guys are playing a game of “chest”. (When you walk up to a friend, and bust him one as hard as you can in the chest)

I am out of air, and gasping for breath. So I welcome some silver lining within the clouds. LOL.

AND YOU CAN ADD VALID AND GOAT56 to the sliver lining list.

I’m sorry, that’s a completely hypocritical post.

In fact, I pride myself on being very realistic about this team, and said before you wrote anything that I thought the Giants SHOULD win the next two games and make the playoffs, but were not a great team this season (and I’ve been saying for months that among the primary reasons were Nicks’ health and a lack of a quality third wide receiver) and were going to see many roster changes next season. But that’s not why it’s hypocritical.

When I said a number of times this season that we would, and then we did, really miss Mario Manningham you were the leader of the pack telling me what a moron I was. You were killing me over that. Now you are saying the same thing? C’mon man. I love you but that’s just ridiculous.

•  demo3356 says:

Never said you were a moron gramps,, Go back and look. I liked Manningham and was sad to see him go. You are just still salty from me hammering you for your embarrassing behavior on Friday. I dont believe Mannigham is or ever will be the #1 WR you said he was nor do I blame JR for the big mistake you made it out to be. My gripe was your clownish idea that and I quote “Promises of a bigger role in our offense would outweigh the extra $$ SF offered”
        Now go drink your prune juice and come back when less angry

Umm, well, not only do I not apologize for a single thing I wrote on Friday but I never said Mario was a #1 receiver. What I said was we needed THREE excellent wide receivers because the odds were that we would then always have at least two healthy and playing, that when they were all playing this offense was not defensible, and that Reese should have paid Manningham enough to keep him. I did say that a promise of a bigger role was part of what could have kept him. It’s what the Niners’ promised, after which they promptly went out and acquired Moss.

And being called”gramps” for real would be my fondest wish, so feel free to make use of that whenever you want. As it happens, my kids are such “high achievers” that getting married and having children seems not first on their list, which I increasingly view as the personal tragedy it is becoming. I’d trade missing the playoffs for the next 20 years in exchange for being called “gramps” by someone with the real-life standing to do so.

5.  demo3356 says:

Like I have been saying for a while, we are running basically the same system we have since 07, the same system TC and KG used in Jacksonville in the late 90′s and much of the same elements of The Run and shoot that KG helped create in Houston in the 80′s. There is nothing tricky, cutting edge or deceptive about what we do and there never has been. Every team we play knows pretty much what is coming. The key is in the excellence of execution and the talent that makes it roll. When Eli is clicking and has talented, healthy weapons that he trusts and any semblance of a running game, our offense is unstoppable. We saw it last year when Eli nearly threw for 5000 yards and Cruz and Nicks had one of the best years a duo of teammates have ever had at the position. This year with Nicks hobbled teams are single covering him and rolling coverage to Cruz to shut him down. We also dont have a 3rd WR the level of Mannigham. This is really making life hard on Eli and making our offense look ultra stagnant..
    If Hixon could stay healthy he could be the 3rd option we need as does adding a home run threat like Wilson. Giants have to hope they can claw out a couple of victories the next two weeks and get KP and Prince back. Then the defense can help carry the team as it has done in games like the GB, SF and Dallas2.

•  James Stoll says:

It doesn’t help that the offensive line is a shambles. Diehl Snee Baas all disappointments. Now Snee may be down and Cordle has to be relied on. There is neither run blocking nor pass protection to speak of.

•  demo3356 says:

Losing Locklear hurt and Diehls play has continued to slide. I still wouldn’t say shambles though.. Eagles line, Bears line now they are i shambles. Ours actually grades out in the top half of NFL believe it or not

6.  Levito says:

Come on now. How can you guys not admit Eli isn’t having a great season? Yes, I get it, his #1 receiver is hurt. I get it. But that’s not the reason he threw late on a curl route right at Asante Samuel. That’s not the reason he threw into double coverage for Cruz last week when Bennett was wide open on the 5 yard line. It’s not the reason he’s late on a lot of his decisions this year.

Yesterday, Tony Romo tore apart the same Steelers defense which owned the Giants offense. Dez Bryant has a seriously f’d up finger and their O line is just as bad as the Giants. Aaron Rodgers is having a pretty solid season, even though Greg Jennings doesn’t play and Jordy Nelson has missed a bunch of games. They don’t have a running game, and their O line is way worse than the Giants. But Eli’s struggles are unique? Because he doesn’t have Nicks at 100%, he’s not to be blamed for playing poorly? Come on now. I know he’s not the biggest problem on this team. He’s not even in the top 10 reasons for the Giants struggles. But call a spade a spade and at least admit he’s not having a great season, and the blame can’t be passed off to everyone else on the offense.

Can he play well and pull off a series of Giants wins from here through February? Absolutely. I’m sure he’s already past this game and onto the Ravens. That’s why he is who he is. And he’s the caliber QB who can win the rest of the games this team plays. I have faith he can pull through it. But so far this season, he’s not having a great season, and he’s quite a bit off the high water mark set last season.

7.  Nosh.0 says:

2 Themes that have been on going since week 1

1. Passing game out of sync. Why?
    - Eli
    - WR’s not getting open
    - DC’s around the league have found a way to defend Gilbrides scheme
    Not sure what the reason is but Eli’s been holding the ball longer this year.

2. Pass rush has gone from great to average
    - This roster was not built to have a great back 7. It was built on having a great pass rush. When the pass rush becomes league average, guys in the back 7 get exposed.

We’ve been in this spot before.
    2007- Miracle
    2009- Quit, gave up. Got spanked by Carolina at home in a must win.
    2010- Got Vicked and Rodgersed
    2011- Sequel to 2007

So if we use the past to predict this seasons outcome (always a questionable technique), we either win the SB or fail to make the playoffs.

8.  demo3356 says:

More silver linings for the cloudy masses at G101
    Seattle has a very good shot at losing to the 49ers this coming week
    Minny has to play Houston and Green Bay -stick a fork in them
    Dallas and Washington play each other- one is guaranteed a 7th loss
    Chicago has lost 5 out of 6 and the combination of injuries to the defense and ineptitude on offense is killing them. They do have 2 winnable games left on schedule though.
    The Giants still have a very good shot at the 5 seed and unlike most I am not afraid of a trip to DC to play the Skins again. I’m also not afraid of trips to Green Bay or San Fran.

•  James Stoll says:

Getting there is the first challenge. We have to win 2. No margin for error. The next game is the hardest of the 2. Win next week and we should be ok.

9.  William Holland says:

It is gut check time. We can learn a lot about this team these next two weeks. We should win both but both games will be tough. Baltimore still needs a win to secure their division and the Eagles will show up just to play spoilers. However one of the toughest teams in the NFL is the Giants after a bad loss. It will be tough without Locklear. Locklear is the biggest loss of personnel we have, Diehl has been sub par which has magnified the issues Eli has been having. A banged up receiving corp, a very inconsistent running game and overly predictable play calling. I think we win out but question how far we go in the payoff with Diehl in the lineup. No Locklear no Super Bowl

10.  rlhjr says:

I do not think it’s any secret that I have absolutely been a Eli supporter since day one of the AE (After Eli) era. I have both defended and criticized him.
    But the criticisms were warranted (he learned to take/share blame) and have long since been corrected.

It’s with that knowledge that you can take this that I say as well considered.
    Yes, not having a full speed Nicks and 90 percent of Bennett is not helping.
    Yes, Cruz has on a few occasions lacked focus. And yes, Mario is missed as is Andre Brown.

But reality is the offensive line has not provided Eli with the most important things he (or any other successful pocket QB) must have. Number one, his confidence in the pocket has declined. And number two, a solid running game.

So before I’d blame Coughlin or Gilbride, I would put the finger on the O-line.

•  kinsho says:

The O-line was worse last year from what I remember. Our running game was dead last and Eli had to rely on David Diehl to cover his blind side for much of the season.

But he was still a better QB than this year.