December 14th, 2012 at 3:33 PM
By Paul Tierney

We'll keep it short and sweet today. It's hard to seriously report about New York Giants football when there are so many more important things going on in our world right now. But we're going to give it a go anyway.

Temple University has offered its head coaching position to New York Giants asst. offensive line coach Matt Rhule.  It remains unclear if Rhule will remain a part of the Giants coaching staff for the remainder of the season, or if he will leave the team immediately (in the event he accepts the offer).

Rhule played football under Joe Paterno at Penn State University and then went on to begin his coaching career at Penn State as a volunteer assistant coach in 1998. Rhule would then bounce around to Buffalo, Western Carolina and then arrived at Temple in 2006 to coach the defensive line. In 2008, he was promoted to offensive coordinator where he helped the Owls have some of the most success that the program had seen in decades.

Rhule came to the Giants in March of this year to fill the vacancy left by Jack Bicknell, Jr.'s departure to the Kansas City Chiefs. He now has the opportunity to further his career at a university that has been a great stepping stone for coaches to go on and get bigger jobs not too long after their arrival in Philadelphia.

Al Golden left Temple in 2010 to become the head coach at Miami, while his replacement Steve Addazio left for Boston College just last week. It's more than likely that Matt Rhule will be a relatively well known name in the college football world in the very near future.

Tags: Boston College, Buffalo, Carolina, Football, Kansas City, Kansas City Chiefs, Matt Rhule, Miami, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Philadelphia, Temple

36 Responses to “Temple Offers Head Coaching Job to New York Giants Asst. Offensive Line Coach Matt Rhule”

1.  Begiant says:

I think it is interesting that so many of our assistent coaches go on to other teams. That shows we are doing something right. I only wish these things would wait until after the playoffs. This should not be a major problem but I think continuity is important.

•  demo3356 says:

always happens to succesful teams. Pretty much every one of Parcells, Walsh’s, Jimmy Johnson’s and now Bellichecks assistents have been given shots

2.  Levito says:

Well, since our O line is so amazing, as documented by whatever site someone posted yesterday, it’s no surprise colleges and other NFL franchises are banging down the door to take away the genius behind all of it.

In all seriousness, I don’t really know much about Rhule, but congrats on the offer.

It’s not this loss singularly but I think it could become a problem when you talk about replacing Fewell probably this offseason and TC eventually. You would like the replacement s to come from within but we are losing some good coaches. Sullivan is already a sleeper HC candidate. I know Fewell and KG has lots of critics but losing them does hurt especially without a strong coach under them ready to step up. The hires the last few years filling out the staff at lower position a might make the difference in how we are able to move forward.

I just has a random thought. I wonder if our next head coach is someone like Sullivan ends up as our next head coach. Even if he goes somewhere else first.

•  Krow says:

Fewell will be ridden like the town bike when coaching vacancies come up … but only because he’s the perfect Rooney Rule antidote.

He’ll be in the mix for any of the upcoming openings. But I don’t think he’s a lock to depart. The trend now is college coaches.

I’m sorry but I think that’s bs. Fewell was the interim HC in Buffalo. Also, being a great head coach doesn’t mean you were a great coordinator. Just like the reverse is true. He’s been part of a winning group and his defense seems to play it’s best in the big games. He almost left last year. With so many likely openings it would be a surprise if he was back. There are no many more high profile coordinators than him. The other quality coordinators like KG are looked to be too old. Fewell is the right age.

•  Chad Eldred says:

In the past I might have agreed with Krow, but I think Fewell could garner serious consideration for a HC position. I’m not always thrilled with his schemes, but he’s a bright guy and a capable leader.

•  Krow says:

We shall see in the off season. No sense debating it here. He leaves and I’m wrong … he stays and I’m right.

I cannot deal with this situation in Connecticut any longer. It’s just too upsetting. So I’m turning to football.

Has there been word as to whether Torain or Lumpkin will be the #2 back on Sunday? Any further word on Boley?

If the Giants make the playoffs I think you have to figure Fewell leaves. It’s even possible that both Fewell and Gilbride depart after this season. They’ve both been around long enough to know how TC runs things and that will be very attractive to a lot of GMs and owners. Of course, there is not necessarily a correlation between being a good coordinator and a good Head Coach. The latter has to do an awful lot of managing that the former do not. It’s really not that different from the difference between a CEO and a COO in a corporate structure. One is much more “hands-on” and the other is far more strategic and the keeper of “vision and belief” in the task at hand.

5.  LUZZ says:

I’m sure JR has a short list of coaches to turn to in an event he needs one, I’m speaking of head coaches. Something inside me tells me that next year might be TCs last year. His family wants him home and he’s already taken a huge bite out of the NFL apple. He can still work for the Giants in an important front office capacity, but the stresses of the job will be gone. I really think his family will convince him. I’m not reading any tealeaves, just a pure gut call.

I wonder what kind of coach JR has in mind? I bet he goes young, and it won’t be an NFL retread. I could even see him rolling the dice on a first time head coach with an amazing offensive mind. OC from Utah comes to mind as an example.

I suspect that TC no longer feels the stress as much. First of all, by the time you gain 65 years of age you have some perspective. Secondly, he has climbed to the top of the mountain twice and knows his legacy (2 rings, taking a brand new franchise to respectability quickly and then seeing it sink after he’d left) is secure. Maybe he’ll leave over the next few years, but I would guess that if that’s the case he will first work with Reese to bring his eventual replacement in house so the culture will have time to wash over whomever that is and he’ll become part of “the Giants’ way”.

•  LUZZ says:

This week more than any, Fewel is going to need to bring LBs to get quick pressure on Ryan. As GOAT56 mentions 6 healthy DB’s won’t allow us to run around with these guys all day long in coverage. will need to get to Ryan ASAP. I really hope that is the strategy from Fewel.

6.  Eric S says:

So if I’m looking at this right, the Giants are going into ATL with only 3 healthy corners (Webster, Hosley, and Tryon). That’s troublesome. Any word on whether or not they bring up Scoot or Frederick from the PS?

•  Eric S says:

Scott not Scoot

Whatever they do, there will be a lot of three-safety looks.

That’s what I asked last thread. It’s worse than just 3 healthy CBs, we also only have 3 healthy safeties. 6 active DBs just doesn’t seem like enough especially against a passing team. I expect someone to be activated for capers tomorrow.

7.  Levito says:

I don’t think Gilbride goes anywhere until the Giants kick him out. Nobody’s going to hire him, and he’s so f’n smart he probably thinks he’s the heir to Coughlin’s throne. After all, you don’t find geniuses like him too often.

David Wilson done with backflips

“I think it’s for the team’s best interests,” Wilson said. “I don’t want to make anyone upset or nervous or scared. I want to do something that people enjoy rather than worry about.”

Week 15 Predictions: Giants vs. Falcons

9 out of 10 columnist picked us. We are respected.

Injury report:

FALCONS

Questionable

DT Jonathan Babineaux (ribs/limited)
    WR Harry Douglas (ribs/limited)
    S William Moore (hamstring/dnp)
    WR Roddy White (knee/dnp)

Probable

T Sam Baker (hand/full)
    G Justin Blalock (elbow/full)
    CB Asante Samuel (shoulder/full)