December 13th, 2012 at 5:02 PM
By Paul Tierney

More injury news coming out of Giants camp today. Starting cornerback Prince Amukamara, who has not been able to practice this week, says he is uncertain of his status for Sunday's road matchup against the Atlanta Falcons. The Giants lost Amukamara to a hamstring injury in the fourth quarter of Big Blue's blow out win over the New Orleans Saints. He was replaced on the outside by rookie Jayron Hosley.

'Commissioner Goodell with Prince Amukamara' photo (c) 2011, Marianne O'Leary - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Amukamara has been a pleasant surprise for the Giants this season. Despite struggling through his rookie campaign and the preseason, Prince has come on to be the Giants most reliable cornerback this season. With Corey Webster showing signs of decline, Amukamara has been reliable in pass coverage and incredibly effective against the run. His presence would be sorely missed against the likes of Roddy White and Julio Jones this weekend in Atlanta.

The second year player out of Nebraska spoke to the media about his hamstring injury this afternoon.

"They didn’t tell me if it was a bad one," Amukamara said. "They said my strength and my motion is still good. It’s just that little bite in there when you try to open up. So as soon as that goes away, I think I’ll be great."

The Giants will likely keep Hosley as Amukamara's replacement. Although Hosley has had his mishaps this season, he is not a bad matchup on Julio Jones. Both players have speed, but lack physicality. As long as Hosley can run with Jones down the field and can avoid getting beat deep, he should be an adequate replacement for Amukamara for a week.

However, the Giants are likely to start two rookies in Will Hill and Jayron Hosley in the secondary this weekend. Furthermore, Stevie Brown is in his first season of playing as a starter. There will be inexperienced, yet talented players on the field for the Giants this weekend. Head coach Tom Coughlin said earlier today that all hands must be on deck for the Falcons on Sunday.

"The guys that are available have got to play," coach Tom Coughlin said. "They’ve got to go. They’re the ones that are going to have to meet the challenge against a very good secondary, outstanding tight end, running backs that can catch the football. But the guys that are healthy and ready to play, they’ll have their responsibility."

The Giants will announce the week's final injury report sometime tomorrow afternoon. It's imperative that anybody that has the ability to contribute is on the field. If Big Blue loses on Sunday, they could find themselves in third-place in the NFC East on Monday morning and without control of their own destiny within the division. That's a scary proposition for a team that has shown championship-caliber potential this season.

Tags: Atlanta Falcons, Corey Webster, Football, Jayron Hosley, New Orleans, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Prince Amukamara, Roddy White, Stevie Brown, Tom Coughlin, Will Hill

20 Responses to “New York Giants’ Prince Amukamara “Hopeful,” Yet Uncertain of His Week 15 Availability”

Get some ice in that cold tub.

2.  BigBlueGiant says:

Well… I recently pulled my hammy pretty bad this week. Heard and felt a “pop” training Jiu Jitsu.

From first hand experienced, it’s a constant pain and pretty bothering. My mobility is fine, but its an annoying pain. I’m still training daily, sometimesd two a days.

IF I had to backpeddle, or sprint, i don’t think i’d be able to go.

Since when does Jones lack “physicality”? You must be thinking of someone else.

Yeah, it’s just a wonderful idea to extend the season by going to 18 games or adding a playoff game. Maybe they can get to the point where street free agents can take half the positions on the field until the Super Bowl, when the percentage can go up to 75. These owners are getting ridiculously rich IF they run a decent franchise. Are the strong owners really going to be so stupid as to feed some of their colleagues’ greed and reward those who are completely incompetent by making sure to get them even more revenues at the risk of REALLY causing health issues for the players? Are these owners really going to allow the networks to dictate the number of games and the times they will be played? Are the owners going to totally abuse their fans and players? Stupid questions. Remember whom we’re talking about. Put a few dollars in front of them and they lose their minds.

•  GmenMania says:

Agreed. I think expanding the playoffs is a terrible idea. The playoffs as currently constituted are very good. Expanding them would add an NBA-like effect where the playoffs are watered down by teams that don’t really deserve to be there.

4.  GeezUp says:

Is Roddy White playing? Out?

5.  GmenMania says:

I wouldn’t call Prince a pleasant surprise. The expectations for a first round pick constitute at least his level of play this year.

Also, where on earth did the idea that Randle is a stuck-up rookie with a bad “know-it-all” attitude come from? I haven’t seen any comments like that from any of the players or the coaching staff.

•  BLU-82 says:

I saw comments on randle this morning but had my phone and didn’t bother to respond. I’ve also seen nothing to indicate the kid was a selfish know it all- just some knocks on his motivation. Pretty baseless assumption unless I missed something.

•  rlhjr says:

GmenMania and BLU-82

Can’t speak for anyone else, but I have commented on Randle several times since I found out that his work ethic was “crap”. I heard so much $h|+ about Manningham and how dumb he was. But I would take him back in a New York City micro second. Manningham is gone and what’s done is done.

However, Mario worked his rear end off and was never guilty of anything more than trying too hard. If Randle had really applied himself in the spring and up until now those comments about his desire and work would never have come out. How many times did anyone hear that Manningham was unwilling to work to become a professional?

DONT BOTHER COUNTING THE ANSWER IS ZERO.

If you have issue with me for saying what I said, that is fine. That is your opinion and you are free to voice it without adverse comment or feelings from me. But until I hear something to counter the purposeful “leak” by the team, Randle is a crappy little punk with a world of talent. And I would love to change my opinion because I think his talent level approaches that of Nicks.

6.  Levito says:

I agree about not changing the playoff format, as do most fans. A poll on PFT with over 20k responses has over 70% of the responders saying they want to keep 12 teams in the playoffs as well.

It reminds me of the 18 game schedule garbage too. The fans were pretty heavily opposed to it, but Goodell was adamant that the fans really wanted the season to expand. As many good things as Goodell has done for the league, he really is out of touch with the fans.

The league is playing with fire trying to expand the season and playoff format. They’ve got a great thing going, and there isn’t anything more popular and successful in the US than the NFL. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

Eagles beating the Bengals …

8.  BBWC says:

I need a little help on my fantasy flex possition this week.. who should I start?
    Alfred Morris vs Cle, Steven Ridley vs SF or
    David Wilson vs Atl? HELP!

9.  rlhjr says:

Owners are what they are, with very few exceptions a bunch of well healed scum bags who think only of how they can be better off.

If they were truly football people, they would fully understand what more games and/or expanded playoffs would the game and the players.
    They don’t give a rats a$$ about the quality of the game or the health of the players.

Their concern is insuring their already stuffed pockets are maintained.