December 13th, 2012 at 11:15 AM

New York Giants wide receiver Hakeem Nicks was feeling great about his recovery just a few short weeks ago, saying he felt the best he had all season. Then, suddenly, a lingering knee issue cropped back up causing him to miss a Thursday practice last week. And although he didn't miss a week 14 game against the New Orleans Saints, it did prompt head coach Tom Coughlin to acknowledge that Nicks will not approach 100% again for the remainder of the season.

'Eli Manning Warms Up with Hakeem Nicks' photo (c) 2011, Rajiv Patel (Rajiv's View) - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

“We’re probably going to have to slow down a little bit, not do much, with him,” Coughlin said. “Maybe bring him in a little bit as we move along.”

Coughlin added that Nicks' status for a week 15 game against the Atlanta Falcons isn't in question, but his practice schedule for the remainder of the season will be limited – similar to that of Plaxico Burress in 2007.

Nicks broke his foot in late May, causing him to miss the majority of training camp and the preseason, and upon return, suffered a sprained MCL in week two against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. That MCL injury was re-aqggravated in Sunday's dominating victory, and resulted in impromptu X-Rays for the fourth-year receiver out of North Carolina.

In 10 games this season, Nicks has hauled in 50 receptions for 652 yards and three touchdowns.

Tags: Football, Hakeem Nicks, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin

12 Responses to “New York Giants Plan to “Slow Down” Hakeem Nicks, Return Him to Limited Practice Schedule”

Rather than post the same thing I always do … I’ll just sit quietly and grumble.

I’m absolutely with Tuck on the Wilson backflips. Just stop it. I’m fine with celebrations, but not those that can damage the team and those can.

I’m absolutely with Sanders on Rolle and Brown both deserving Pro Bowl honors. Rolle has been incredible this season, and Stevie Brown was certainly a hidden gem. I honestly don’t remember even noticing him at Michigan, but while I won’t compare him to Brady I have to say that GMs around the league should start looking carefully at Michigan players whom it seems no one wants. Some of them are pretty good.

As I was the week prior to the Saints game, I’m feeling pretty good about this one on Sunday. I really like Eli in a dome. And I sense the defense starting to come together in the backfield and at the edges. I worry about the middle but Atlanta isn’t the kind of team that hurts you too much there. Their middle threat is Tony Gonzalez, and between Williams and Hill I think we can control him. He’s still very good, but this is not the player he was 3-4 years ago. Of course, I am basing my assessment on the assumption that Prince will play. If he cannot then things get much more fraught.

It has to be very hard to assess the free safety position in college. They don’t typically face complicated passing offenses. Much of their responsibility is run support. And there’s the impression that if they were any good they’d be playing the corner.

•  rlhjr says:

Or wide receiver.

Range, tackling ability and ball skills. And because more and more both safety slots require speed the position is about to morph into something between a linebacker and a traditional safety.

Repost:

G-MenFan says:
    December 13, 2012 at 11:22 AM
    I thing the paper tiger perception we have of Atlanta is due in no small part to the fact that they came into the Giants’ building last January and played small and timid from the coin toss.

That won’t happen this Sunday. They are going to punch the Giants in the mouth right from the start, and HARD. The G-Men will have to respond and play every second of the game to win. I believe that if the Giants win this game, it will end up being their most important win of the 2012 season. If they lose they can still make the dance but that’s not the way to make it in. They need to stand toe-toe with the Falcons this Sunday and exchange blows and win. That will set a fearful tone around the league and set the proper tone in their own locker room for a repeat.

rlhjr says:
    December 13, 2012 at 11:33 AM
    Very well put and very true. The Psycho Giants need to report to Atlanta Sunday. The one who don’t care about anything but winning.

Here’s Atlanta’s schedule:

Nov 4 Dallas Won 19-13
      Nov 11 @New Orleans Lost 27-31
      Nov 18 Arizona Won 23-19
      Nov 25 @Tampa Bay Won 24-23
      Nov 29 New Orleans Won 23-13
      Dec 9 @Carolina Lost 20-30

The paper tigers refers to the fact they haven’t really beat anyones besides Denver and I think that Denver team is much different than the one today.

Atlanta will be ready but so will we. This reminds me a lot of the SF game except I think SF is better. This game is on us. Atlanta can’t beat us if we play well.

Nicks’ practice schedule should have always been like this. Nicks’ is a warrior who’s going to try his best but the coaches have to control him from hisself.

2012 TEAM EFFICIENCY RATINGS

Regular season totals, through Week 14

We are 7th and Atl is 11th.

7.  TuckThis says:

No one practices. Eli throws the ball. Eli than runs and catches the ball and he also defends against himself as he’s waiting for the ball. He’s the only one who practices on a consistent basis.

8.  GIANTT says:

I think if the Giants had played that schedule they would be about 10-3 .
    Strength of schedule hasnt been mentioned much , but with the Giants having the toughest one in football I think that they should be recognized as a very good team .
    With regards to this week , I notice that Mr Stoll has his concerns (a few posts back ) but really I dont see the Giants losing . Eli will have to play without making too many mistakes .With Nicks being 80 % I think that Hixon and Bennett will have to step up and take up the slack . Also , Im still undecided about whether Wilson should return kicks . the benefits of the great field position and possibility of a score on just about every play has to be weighed against the possibility of injury . Im sure if this were a playoff game or something there would be every chance that Wilson would do both for sure . Im thinking that Torain and Lumpkin will improve their playing times with the added practice and if either show any type of ability then Wilson can do other things . We do know that the Giants offense has the ability and confidence to score on anyone but question mark as others have mentioned is the Dline . They have to be able to get consistent pressure on Ryan
    As far as Wilsons backflips go , they were a signature for last weeks breakout game but they should be retired . Despite the fact that he is supremely confident in his back flipping abilities , unintended consequences should be avoided at all costs .
    I know they are a product of his youthful enthusiasm but if he wants to get to the Hall of Fame ( His words) , he has to start acting like a pro .

9.  rlhjr says:

No way either Nicks or Bradshaw should be on a full practice schedule.
    It’s not like either one of them is “getting away” with something. Most understand that you would have to shoot either of them to keep them out of a game. The need to be protected from their own work ethics.

10.  rlhjr says:

“I know they are a product of his youthful enthusiasm but if he wants to get to the Hall of Fame ( His words) , he has to start acting like a pro.”

GIANTT you nailed the topic with that statement. The youngster should save that energy for the next series.

Unlike Randle Wilson is just needs to be told the right thing. He’ll do it because his character level will not allow him to ignore doing what is right.