December 11th, 2012 at 10:37 AM

For seven long years, running back Brandon Jacobs was the heart and soul of the New York Giants. And although some of his actions were questionable at best (see: throwing his helmet into the stands), he was beloved by all New Yorkers. That's what made his divorce from the team so difficult. But as the saying goes, business is business, and both sides wanted different things.

'Brandon Jacobs' photo (c) 2012, Zennie Abraham - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

Still, Jacobs made it a point to return to the TIMEX Performance Center one final time before ultimately signing with the San Francisco 49ers. But when the dust settled, a mere $500,000 is what allegedly prevented a reunion.

Although he was willing to play for less to stay in New York, Jacobs made a stand and it's hard to blame him. A year prior, he re-negotiated his contract so that the team could re-sign Ahmad Bradshaw. Then, at the start of the offseason, he accepted his initial release and the reality that he was going to take another pay cut … just not to the extent the Giants wanted.

Now, having seen that grass isn't always greener on the other side, Jacobs has let his frustrations be heard. The result? A suspension -not a release- that will end his season and tenure with the 49ers.

But that may not be the end of this story. A source has informed USA Today that Jacobs will file a grievance in hopes of either being reinstated or, what he really wants, released. And in the event he is released, the same source says there's only one team Jacobs wants to play for: the New York Football Giants.

"Thank you all for all your support, I am doing wonderful it's not a big deal things happen, I am strong enough to get through this, again thank all of you for your support. #IWILLBEBACK," Jacobs tweeted on Monday.

With Andre Brown and Da'Rel Scott both current on Injured Reserve (Brown designated to return), and Ahmad Bradshaw dealing with foot, neck and now knee issues, the Giants could realistically use someone who has a proven history of solid pass protection and an intimate knowledge of their offensive system. And although they've recently signed Kregg Lumpkin and Ryan Torain, Jacobs would be a legitimate upgrade over each.

In the unlikely event that Jacobs is granted his release, would you like to see him back with Big Blue?

Tags: Ahmad Bradshaw, Andre Brown, Brandon Jacobs, Football, Kregg Lumpkin, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Ryan Torain, San Francisco, San Francisco 49ers

27 Responses to “Brandon Jacobs Admits Grass Isn’t Always Greener; Only Willing to Play for New York Giants”

1.  Valid says:

I love this man.

I think we saw yesterday that it’s almost a 100% yes. Given we could be looking at Lumpkin and Torrian as our 2nd and 3rd RBs Jacobs would obviously help. Given his knowledge of the system even if those other two are currently equal backs he would be an upgrade. Even if just as a pass blocker.

Hell, I’d take him back for NEXT season if he’ll be willing to play for #3/#4 RB money.

I suspect Andre Brown is going to get some very good offers that the Giants will only consider matching if they’re moving on from Bradshaw. I really do not want to lose Brown, but we’d be foolish to assume that cannot happen. He deserves, and desires, a payday.

Jacobs would be a pretty good #3 back because he’d be well-rested by getting only 5-6 snaps per game, but still available if Wilson or the #2 back goes down. I said when he was drafted that it was only a matter of time before David Wilson jumped ahead of Bradshaw on the depth chart. He’s not there yet, but should be by the beginning of next season.

•  Levito says:

I’d take Jacobs back for this season. He’d get some touches and fire up the offense. Probably not next season, though. Think he’ll be content sitting on the bench for most of the season? The #3 RB often gets 0 touches in a Giants game.

I don’t think Jacobs is a great fit on the field. Largely because he’s not a specialist or a special teams player. As a 3rd RB you want a 3rd down back, short yardage back or at least a special teams player. And at this point of his career he’s none of the above. He’s good a spot regular RB but as a 3rd RB I think you have to keep a more versitle guy. I think Ryan Grant had similar issues this year.

We could lose Brown though if we keep Bradshaw. With either of those backs paired with Wilson ww are going to need another back. Maybe it’s Scott but he would have to earn his spot like Brown this year. We will likely draft a RB.

4.  kujo says:

Someone needs to create a mobilization effort in support of Jacobs. As such I’m going to make a hashtag for it and I’m gonna put it onto a tshirt. I encourage you to do the same and let’s get some attention– #FreeBJ

5.  G-MenFan says:

He will not be back next season. If he can’t come over now, his time here is done. Andre Brown is an Exclusive Rights Free Agent next year and I believe the Giants and he will come to terms.

Oh. So that basically means we control Brown and he has little wiggle room right?

•  Levito says:

Exclusive Righte FA means he plays for the Giants or he plays for nobody. Is that really the case with Brown? He’s been in the league over 3 years, but was enough of it on the practice squad that he qualifies?

•  G-MenFan says:

Correct. An ERFA is a player that has only 2 years of tenure. If the team he last played for makes the player an offer that is equal to the 3-year veteran minimum salary, the player has two choices: accept the offer, or leave the NFL.

I don’t know what the 3-year minimum vet salary was this year, but whatever it is, I’m sure JR will offer it to Brown, a player he likes and drafted. If Reese has demonstrated anything, it’s his willingness to allow players he likes to prove that they’re back from an injury. I believe he will tender an offer to Brown.

6.  LUZZ says:

If someone signs Brown away from us, they will owe a draft pick. Probably not gonna happen.

As far as BJ goes… What am I missing? There’s no real story here. He can’t come back this season, correct? The 49ers suspended him for the remainder of the year, so his season is officially over.

It’s a story from the standpoint that it’s nice he would like to come back. However, it’s a non-issue since there is no way it can happen at this point. Unless we are hoping that the 49ers would change their mind and now release him so that one of the teams they almost certainly will meet in the playoffs (and who is in need of a RB) can pick him up. I don’t see it.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

In the article above it notes he’s filing a grievance seeking a release. If he gets it, it IS a story.

•  Levito says:

If he gets the release, won’t he have to pass through waivers? Wouldn’t that mean a team like Dallas, Washington or Chicago would have a chance to nab him before he gets to the Giants? It would only cost these teams < $200k to secure him for the rest of the season. For Dallas & Washington, that may be reason enough to keep him out of NY,

7.  LUZZ says:

Needless to say, i would LOVE to have the big fell back! Wish there was a way, but I don’t see one.

I didn’t realize Brown is an Exclusive Rights Free Agent. Good thing, because his value went way up otherwise. I wonder if he’ll role the dice and play out his deal so he can become a free agent or sign a 3-4 year contract with us? Given what the kid has gone through if I were his agent I’d advise him to take a $5-8MM guarantee over four years rather than take a chance. He’s a really good kid and even after taxes, that’s more money than he’s likely to ever see again.

If the Giants know he’ll be back then they’re in pretty good shape assuming they have a RB targeted in the draft or free agency (probably UDFA, but maybe a veteran who has specific strengths). They can ask AB to take a cut in exchange for giving him a somewhat higher guarantee and tell him he’s going to be in a real three-back system again but he’s now Ward, not Jacobs.

9.  LUZZ says:

Thanks for update, Dan. By the way, i didn’t want it to sound like you shouldn’t have done a piece on the BJ topic. I’ve been looking for updates on it all day. what I meant to say is that the 49ers would have to agree to this reunion and that I didn’t see any way they would.

I guess it’s a matter between the NFLPA and the league officials right now, right? What percentage would you put on it that the league favors on the side of BJ? i say less than 15% chance, but I’m basing that on nothing.

• The 49ers don’t have to agree to it. If Jacobs wins his grievance, he either gets paid to stay home or gets his wish and is wearing Blue as soon as he can get to Jersey.

To me I don’t see how the NFL forces his release. I think they give SF the option. Of releasing him or paying him to stay home. I see no grounds for not paying him. I think they just pay him to stay home.

• UUT

They aren’t going to force them to release him. But if they are forced with paying him and wasting a roster spot on him and letting him come to work unhappy, or releasing him, they are likely to choose the latter.

10.  TuckThis says:

I’m willing to bet he won’t be back…this season or next. Think Jerry Reese finds his behavior endearing?