New York Giants, Baltimore Ravens Week 16 Game Flexed to 4:25 PM EST

December 10th, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Through 14 weeks of the season, the New York Giants have had precious few 1:00 PM EST starts. In fact, to date, they've only had four. And with that part schedule now out of the way, many fans were looking forward to three consecutive weeks of 1:00 PM starts. Unfortunately, they're not going to get it as the NFL announced on Monday that it has flexed the Giants' week 16 game against the Baltimore Ravens -a game which will air on FOX- to 4:25 PM EST.

'Baltimore Ravens Fans' photo (c) 2009, Keith Allison - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

The flex occurred largely because the New York Jets-San Diego Chargers Sunday Night Football game has little significance at this point, so it was demoted in favor of the San Francisco 49ers-Seattle Seahawks game. Accordingly, that pushed the Giants to a 4:25 PM start.

It may not be the last game the Giants have flexed, either. The league will decide by December 24th if their week 17 game against the Philadelphia Eagles needs to be flexed out of the 1:00 PM EST slot to either 4:25 PM EST or, dare we say, one of the final two primetime slots.

The Giants week 15 game against the Atlanta Falcons was not touched and will remain a 1:00 PM EST start.

Tags: Baltimore, Baltimore Ravens, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL

50 Responses to “New York Giants, Baltimore Ravens Week 16 Game Flexed to 4:25 PM EST”

1.  GeezUp says:

I’m late to the party but I just wanna say get that David Wilson Bust ready in Canton!!! He saved our season yesterday. Also I can’t wait til we put our 4 Safeties Package on the field which I’m dubbing “Silver Dollar” featuring Will, Stevie, Kenny, and Antrel!!!

2.  Levito says:

repost:

If the Giants don’t make the playoffs, it’ll be whatever game(s) they don’t win between now and the end of the season. They are currently in control of the division and any loss before the end of the season would be the one everyone looks back on and says was the one that got away. They play nothing but winnable games from here on out and are supposed to play their best football in the situation they’re currently in.

Atlanta just got smacked down by a bad Panthers team. They doubt is starting to creep up and they haven’t been running well. What, a one-dimensional passing offense up next? This plays right into the Giants hands.

The Ravens just fired their offensive coordinator. Jim Caldwell calling plays? Oh, cool, because he’s called plays…well..never! Ray Lewis less than 100%, Suggs either out or less than 100%? No excuses here.

And Philly. Absolutely no excuses for losing to this team. Especially considering the situation both teams will be in at the time.

•  Valid says:

Actually, no matter what happens the rest of the way, there will be two losses I look back on: the one at Philly and then blowing the 10-point fourth quarter lead against Pittsburgh. Those were two games the Giants absolutely should have won.

•  Valid says:

Of course, I will only look back on those losses in the event that the Giants don’t make the playoffs.

•  Levito says:

I think any losses between now and the end of the season would probably overshadow those considering how late in the season and what’s at stake here.

I feel a little differently about the Steelers game. The Giants played terribly in that game, and while they did have a 10 point lead they blew, they played so poorly all around that I didn’t feel like they should have even been in it to begin with. Terrible officiating that actually went in the Giants favor, for a change, was the only reason the Giants had that lead. The gift first down after the hit on Cruz and the gift fumble TD kept the Giants in the game longer than they should have been.

I agree about Pitt though I think the fumble TB was legit. Although we blew the Pitt game on the score board we had no business losing that game. In my view we lost 3 game we should have lost in Dal, Pitt and Cin. The Phi #1 and Was #2 were games we could have won but Dal #2 and Was #1 were games we could have lost. So we are about where we should be from how we have played.

This blows because it takes the players, once again, out of the routine they ALL prefer, but it will REALLY be horrid if that Eagles game gets shifted to a night game. I am really getting sick of arriving home at 1:00 AM after these games. And you just know that the last game is likely to look very significant when the network and the league make their decisions the previous Monday.

I’m hoping that the Giants will win the next two in dominating fashion and make it look like the biggest game is between the Redskins and Cowboys with one still just very slightly possibly in the running for the division and both in the running for a wild card slot because everyone but us will figure the Giants to roll over the Eagles. Ha! Any Giants fan who counts on that last game as a win is a sucker of the highest order. Sure, we should win, and easily. But it is the Eagles and the Football Gods are pranksters who seem to enjoy seeing us squirm. Who among us will not be nervous about a last-game-of-the-season game against the Eagles with playoff hopes in the balance? The Giants are twice the team the Eagles are, but I’d still be nervous.

•  jfunk says:

Quite frankly, every team makes me nervous. The Giants have trained me well in that regard.

Absolutely nothing will surprise me. I can see the Giants winning out in dominating fashion. I can see them losing out in humiliating fashion too.

•  Valid says:

Then I guess I’m a sucker, because if that game determines whether or not the Giants get to the playoffs, I see that being 41-3, 48-10 type of rout.

19-out-of-20 times.

But how did this basket case of a team beat us this season? And how many times does a game happen like the one that ended with Jackson dancing along the goal line to make sure the clock ran out after we pounded them for 52 minutes?

•  demo3356 says:

Cant remember if the max is 5 or 6 prime time games for any team. Giants have already had 5 so they may not be eligible to be flexed to prime time. Either way I think the Dallas Redskin game gets flexed if either is still alive for a playoff spot

How bad could Bradshaw’s knee be? He went back in and played. I know he’s ridiculously tough, but if it’s anything but a very minor sprain that would be a new level of toughness that is beyond belief.

•  Levito says:

RG III also went back in and played after a pretty bad knee injury as well, so who knows? Football players are tough SOBs, and will mask an injury as long as possible to avoid missing time.

5.  Dirt says:

Giants (+103) have the 2nd highest scoring differential in the NFC. Last year they were outscored.

They have the 5th best scoring defense in the NFC, #1 best scoring offense in the NFC (#3 in the NFL).

•  demo3356 says:

you’d neber guess that by the majority of the comments around here

Yes, BUT…..

I wrote the other day that the “Scoring defense” statistic is only of some value. You can prevent scores but still, by playing so much “bend-but-don’t-break” scheme give your team both a tired defense that can be beaten late in games (ie. Pittsburgh, Washington -once but would have been twice if not for Eli’s and Cruz’s heroics) and bad field position that dramatically hurts the chances of winning.

I’m not going crazy on the coaches. In fact, except for two breakdowns in the defensive backfield (Webster’s usual once-a-game and then that weird overrunning of a ball that should have been an easy interception), the defense was pretty good yesterday. I’m just noting that those stats don’t tell even close to the entire story.

Repost:

For the pessimist, here’s our wildcard state. Chicago lost yesterday and play GB next week. If Chicago finishes at 10-6 and we did too but second in the division to Was or Dal team that wins out then we would get a wildcard spot due to a better conference record. So simply put another loss by Chicago and we are guaranteed to make the playoffs at 10-6 no matter where the loss would come from. Dallas and Washington play each other so both of them can’t be 10-6. We would own the conference record tiebreaker over Minn as well.

Chicago could easily lose two games more. Green Bay this week and Detroit on the 30th. The Seahawks could still lose two games, to the Niners and the Rams. The Cowboys COULD lose out. The Redskins could lose out.

Things are very much still unsettled. The Giants just need to keep taking care of their own business. Play solid, intelligent, football and they will be fine.

I agree. I don’t think either Dallas or Washington will win out before they play each other. But for other posters I wanted them to be aware. I actually think if SF losses at NE, Seattle will win the division. I don’t think Seattle is losing at home. At Buffalo is a little tricky. Seattle is one team I don’t to see in the playoffs, especially on the road. The way Dallas and Washington are playing compared to Chicago I could see one of them being a wildcard.

The thing about our defense is that it looked yesterday like, just as last season, they were starting to tighten it up down the stretch. Could it be that Fewell’s scheme is just as hard to master as Gilbride’s but once you do you have a great unit? I don’t like what we’re doing up the middle against runs, or in the middle zone against passes, but those are errors of execution, not scheme-based.

8.  JimStoll says:

Cruz needs to average 177 yards per game over the next 3 to eclipse last year’s record

9.  JimStoll says:

Can the Giants’ defense power another Super Bowl run? Says Chris Canty: “I’m going to say this: The defense …
    … definitely has to be a part of it. It starts up front. The defensive line, we set the tone. That’s one of the things that we haven’t done consistently – setting the tone for our defense and also for our football team. So that’s something we as a front want to get back to. Stop the run, playing physical and then being able to rush the passer. It makes everybody’s job on defense easier. It definitely energizes our football team. We understand we carry that flag, we carry that banner. We have to pick it up.”

I sure hope they can, but I have my doubts. Canty looks like a shadow of the player he has been the past few years. Joseph is good but he is not nearly as good a run-stopper as the best such players in the league. Bernard is trying but he is now being moved out of the lane by a lot of offensive linemen. Kuhn was actually looking like he could help as we got into the late stages of the season, but the injury derailed that. Austin looks, right now, like a roll of the dice that didn’t work, and isn’t known as a run-stopper anyway. Tuck can help inside, but he cannot take too much of that or he’ll be injured and useless to the team (by the way, I thought yesterday was his best game in quite some time).

And Blackburn just doesn’t have the “pop” that allows the best middle linebackers to close gaps and sometimes shoot through them to make plays in the backfield. He does it on occasion, but he’s neither fast enough, nor strong enough, to do it consistently.

The truth is that for most of this season the Giants have been losing the battle in the middle of the trenches. Sometimes the ends pinch in to help, but that of course leaves them vulnerable when someone pops outside. They’ve been allowing far too many running yards and they need to find a way to clean that up. I’m just not sure they can, because it may just be a personnel issue at this point.

10.  kinsho says:

Well, here’s hoping this doesn’t get lost too far down the thread…

Anyway, I’m not entirely sure if this was discussed before, but yesterday confirmed one huge weakness that we need to fix ASAP if we want a shot at the Super Bowl. Our run defense. Yes, it was absolutely atrocious last week, but in the Giants defense, the Redskins play a different type of offense predicated on running the rock in various ways. So having the Skins run for 200+ yards on us wasn’t as nearly abysmal as it may have looked.

However, letting the SAINTS run 143 yards….WTF? The SAINTS that average only 96 yards ran 143 yards on us! 143 yards!
    Our run defense blows, to put it kindly. We will need to fix this, period. We have to, not only to win the Bowl again this year, but to make sure we don’t get balled by the Redskins next year.