If Healthy, New York Giants’ Domenik Hixon Could Return to KR/PR on Sunday

December 6th, 2012 at 4:36 PM
By Casey Sherman

Before the 2010 season, Domenik Hixon was quite the weapon as a kick returner and punt returner for the New York football Giants. However, in 2010 he would suffer an ACL tear before the season even started, only to be followed up by another ACL tear in week two of the 2011 season. But now special teams coach Tom Quinn has announced that if Hixon's ankle is healthy enough, he could return to his role as returner on Sunday.

'Eli Manning and Dominik Hixon warm up' photo (c) 2012, Marianne O'Leary - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

" If he’s active, we’ll start getting him back into his role, getting him on some special teams. Hopefully we’ll see an increase if he’s active," Quinn said. "He’s done both well. Just seeing how the game flows, if David [Wilson] is playing more on offense, it might be something that he will do. We’re ready to go either way, just trying to get him more involved."

Before the injuries, Hixon averaged 15.1 yards per punt return in 2009. Overall in his career, he's returned 51 punts for 561 yards and a touchdown. As a kick returner he's returned 80 kicks for 1,966 yards and a touchdown.

Hixon could be relied on consistently to provide the Giants' offense with excellent starting field position. During the run to Super Bowl 42, Hixon had returned ten kickoffs for an impressive average of 25.3 yards per attempt. Giants returners have yet to take one to the house this season. Rookie David Wilson has gotten close, but hasn't quite been able to break one loose. Hopes are that putting Hixon back in his role will bring a spark to the special teams unit, and an improvement in average starting field position for the offense.

Tags: David Wilson, Domenik Hixon, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Quinn

13 Responses to “If Healthy, New York Giants’ Domenik Hixon Could Return to KR/PR on Sunday”

I don’t agree with this move. Wilson should definitely continue as the main KR. While Randle has been solid as PR. I think Hixon brings more value as a consistent 3rd WR than as a KR/PR specialist right now. PR I guess he could provide more pop than Randle.

As I think about it this could be saying randle is our 3rd WR and Wilson will be use a lot more as a RB so they are trying to save our rookies for their offensive snaps. Maybe? If not then keep the rookies as returners.

•  Levito says:

I think your second point is probably more like it. Wilson is now the #2 RB (even if that means the #2 only gets 4 carries a game). And since none of the other WRs can step up and do anything, Randle is the de facto #3, and very likely the #2 if/when Nicks misses more time. They’re now too important to risk taking the shots that a KR/PR often takes. Wilson did get rocked on a couple of returns on Monday night.

Disagree. Hixon has that “knack” that neither of the rookies has demonstrated. He “sees” a corridor before it opens and explodes toward it. Wilson always looks “close” to a big return but consistently fails to see the cut that could get him past those last two guys and into the clear. And while Randle has been sure-handed and tries, he, too, just doesn’t seem to have the feel for returns that Hixon demonstrated for years.

Field position has been killing us this season after a good start over the first six weeks. Getting superior returns and superior coverage is critical. Those “hidden yards” frequently are the difference in big games.

I think this is not only a good move, but a move that needed to be made.

It’s hard to return a KO for a TD. It’s not a negative that Wilson has been close on seemingly many occasions to breaking one I think it’s a positive. With the blocking available I don’t see Hixon as an upgrade.

PR wise I can see your point more because Randle is not explosive in that role. But given how well he’s secured the ball save for the GB game, I’m a little worried about making such a change even for a vet like Hixon. Remember it would have been almost 2 years since he has been our returner in a regular season game.

Field position is key I agree, I just don’t know if Hixon helps in that area.

Just one last comment for today apropos of the previous thread: Would JPP just shut up? This guy makes stupid, inflammatory, statements in the midst of a season during which he ain’t doing a lot to win games. I wouldn’t care if he was spewing locker room material all over the place if he were backing it up with his play, but that is FAR from the case. So zip it. Shut up and play ball.

•  demo3356 says:

agreed.. Why open your pie hole and rattle the cage of a HOF QB that before these comments didnt have a whole lot to play for..

•  Krow says:

I’ve given it a lot of thought … and I’ve concluded it’s because they’re often not all that bright.

3.  G-MenFan says:

Love the headline.

“If…”

4.  GeezUp says:

If Hixon can come back I would much rather see him as the #3 WR vs him on special teams. Plus with Nicks on the mend, we’ll need him more in the passing game. And what happened to Ramses Barden?!? Is he still on the roster, I saw Jernigan catch a ball on Monday Night…did that really happen?!?

5.  Dirt says:

Where the hell is jfunk’s kool-aid?

6.  maratechfan says:

What I think this would mean, Hixon replacing Wilson on kickoffs, is that they plan to give Wilson more touches as the RB.

Good move!