December 5th, 2012 at 3:35 PM

New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin took the podium on Wednesday in an understandably to-the-point mood. Now 1-3 in the second half of the season and clinging to a slim one-game lead in the NFC East, the coach reiterated the importance of the Giants winning all games from here on out.

But before anything else of real substance was discussed, it was all about the pre-practice injury report which included Ahmad Bradshaw (foot), Domenik Hixon (ankle), Sean Locklear (knee), Jason Pierre-Paul (back), David Baas (shoulder), Travis Beckum (knee), Chase Blackburn (ankle), Michael Boley (shoulder), Kenny Phillips (knee), Tyler Sash (hamstring) and Jacquian Williams (knee).

Of the players listed, only Locklear and Sash will not practice. Everyone else will participate on at least a limited basis, although Coughlin calls today's practice a "glorified job-through."

When asked about the visiting New Orleans Saints, Coughlin said "it will be nice to get them in our place," noting that home field advantage means nothing if the Giants don't show "consistency in all three phases."

Coughlin would go on to call Drew Brees an "outstanding" quarterback, and notes that although their defense currently has a bad reputation and ranks towards the bottom of the league, the Saints were able to hold the Atlanta Falcons high-powered offense in check (allowing only 283 yards).

"The only thing I'll say about their defense is in their loss the other day to Atlanta, they held Atlanta to 283 yards. I understand all the discussion about their defensive stats, but I will tell you they play hard, they’re good talented people, they have definitely improved. And they are a physical outfit," Coughlin said.

As far as Antrel Rolle's desire to see more "nastiness" out of the Giants, Coughlin says "I'd like to see a lot of things." He did not elaborate any further.

Finally, although he vehemently tried to avoid discussing it, Coughlin said the players' inability to adjust to the game on Monday night was "disturbing" and "bothersome."

Photo Credit: Mike Gannon

Tags: Football, New Orleans Saints, New Orleans, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin, Travis Beckum, Tyler Sash

27 Responses to “Three-Phase Consistency Needed from Giants & More from an Afternoon Tea with Tom Coughlin”

Consistency? Tom, these are the Giants. Who you kidding?

Jim brought up a point I’ve been mulling over since Monday night: the possibility of the Giants going to a 3-4 defense next season because of RGIII. Right now they may not have the personnel for it, and their coaching staff is a 4-3 staff, but it may make some sense because unless they have a way to deal with the Redskins’ zone blocking and Griffen’s ability to exploit the edge they will have a serious rival on their hands for years to come.

The Giants have very athletic, fast, defensive ends. But those ends still cannot run with RGIII. While at some point he will get himself hurt by continuing to run, that may not happen for a few years, and I don’t want to see the Giants ignore the risk to a quasi-dynasty during The Eli Manning Era. Every year counts (starting with this one).

The Giants need some linebackers anyway. So maybe they should acquire them with the thought that they could use them in a 3-4 defense. Chris Canty could probably play one DE in that set, and JPP could play the other (or an ILBer spot where he moves all over the place and puts his hand in the dirt frequently). Tuck could spell one of them for some snaps. Joseph and Kuhn could rotate in the middle. Kiwi could play ILBer. If Rivers, Boley and Williams all gained a bit of weight they might be able to handle the OLBer spots.

I’m not advocating this, just wondering about the possibility. I think the alternative is to stick with the current scheme but play a lot smarter at the edges and make use of a lot of four-safety looks where they’d use the toughness and size of Phillips and Hill along with the savvy of Rolle to counter the Skins. Remember, those guys will be better next season because they’ll get back some excellent defensive players. The good thing, though, is they gutted their drafts to get RGIII. That will help.

•  Levito says:

JPPs talent would be wasted as a 3-4 DE. And the biggest piece of the puzzle missing for the move to 3-4 would be the NT. Unless Landfill joseph can full that role (he certainly has the size).

Depending on what happens to Fewell after the season, I suppose it’s possible, but not as long as he’s the DC.

I hope Fewell’s gone because it will be because the Giants finished very strong and the defense rose to the occasion. If that happens he’s almost certain to get a Head Coach’s offer.

I agree about JPP being wasted as a 3-4 DE, which is why I said he could become a roving LBer instead.

Again, I’m not advocating this, but I think it’s something they ought to think about.

•  TroyThorne says:

I agree with Levito that JPP would be wasted as a 3-4 DE. He’d definitely man one of the outside LB spots and play a role similar to Aldon Smith in San Fran. Canty would obviously be fine manning one of the DE spots and I think Linval could handle the other. While he’s got the size and strength to be a NT, his game is actually based off his surprising short area quickness. I’m not sure how he’d hold up in the middle.

Rivers and Williams have no place in a 3-4 though, they are way too small. Williams is small for a 4-3 WILL and would have to put on a pretty absurd amount of weight to match up with other OLBs. Guys like Ware, Woodley, Hali, etc are all 265+. Clay Matthews is one of the smaller guys and he’s 255. Williams is barely 225. That’s a lot of weight to add and who knows how it would affect his speed and quickness (his best attributes).

It’s a possibility going forward but who knows if they’d want to make such a big change in the middle of a quasi-dynasty as you put it.

So, the Saints. If there was ever a game in which we needed to get out in front early, get TDs in the Red Zone, and NOT fall in love with “keeping Brees off the field” instead of trying to score as many points as we can, this is it.

•  Levito says:

+1. Really shouldn’t be all that different a game plan than against GB. NO’s defense is worse, but their O line is better. Brees also has a history of trashing the Giants defense though. The Giants will have to keep pouring it on until the clock reads 0:00.

•  Krow says:

But … exploiting their weakness is EXACTLY what they’ll expect. *strokes beard* I have a brilliant idea … we’ll establish the run … muahhahahahaaaaaa …

I agree. But not just the point factor. I think the saints are a dangerous running team but like Philly they will give up on it at times. By getting out early it could cause them to give up on the running game which would help our defense greatly. Thye have physical RBs that could wear us down in the second half.

4.  JimStoll says:

so here’s my thinking:

10-6 almost definitely punches a ticket to the playoffs — unless Seattle wins out

that said, we can afford to lose 1 more.

so which loss would cause the fan base the most heartburn?

why the next game of course

therefore, I think we lose to New Orleans by something like 49-17

now we are all in throat-slitting despair

but yet, we can still win out and make the playoffs

the following week we face the 12-1 Falcons in their house and thump them 31-13

then there is Balt/Philly and that’s as far as my crystal ball goes

In a warped universe this is where you and I actually align. Losing versus NO and winning out would be classic Giants of the last few years. I don’t want to have to face that but it wouldn’t surprise me.

•  JimStoll says:

it makes me think of the scene in Armageddon when they are pretty sure their last drill bit has snapped and they can’t get the nuke in place
        the crazy guy (Buscemi) intones: “embrace the horror”
        that will be this site come Sunday afternoon if the giants stay on script

You must be the kind of guy who loves watching insects try to get out of a glass jar before expiring, or takes off one wing of a butterfly. Only a sadist would come up with that scenario.

I can see it now. We lose to the saints, thump the Falcons and the Ravens and then face the last of our Three Birds string of opponents with the season on the line and all any Giants fan can think of is Jackson dancing along the end zone line while the clock runs out and Coughlin screaming at his poor rookie punter.

The Patriots also released offensive lineman Mitch Petrus, leaving them with an open roster spot. If they’ve developed a taste for former wide receivers, both Deion Branch and Jabar Gaffney are free agents.

I wonder if Petrus is brought back? I understand we lost a tackle but I wonder if someone like Capers would ever even be active. I think Boothe would be the emergency 4 OT. We activated Petrus earlier in the year and seem more confortable with him. Plus with Cordle’s special teams mistakes Petrus could be active just for special teams since his athleticism seems like it has been a good fit for that unit.

I think that’s a pretty good indication that Petrus is just not coachable (a nice way of saying he’s dumb as a rock). We had this dude twice, and cut him twice. I don’t think he gets another chance.

I’m not saying he’s a long term solution. But as a 7th or 8th active OL his role would be mostly special teams and Cordle has struggled with that role. Maybe it’s no accident our return game was better when Petrus was around. I think that might be worth a roster spot alone for the stretch run.

•  GmenMania says:

Doesn’t matter anymore; he was claimed by the Titans, who have lost 4 starters on their offensive line for the season.

•  JimStoll says:

i wouldn’t be surprised by such a move

the offensive line is offensive

Am I, btw, the only one who has noticed that we end our season with three games against birds of various feathers? That must have amused the schedule-makers in the NFL offices.

Looking around the NFL even with a banged up Nicks and KP we qualify as a healthy team. While many wanted Lockear and Brown to be starters they weren’t starters. Actually, right now we haven’t lost an expected starter for the season yet. I understand Nicks and KP being banged up hurts because those are key players. But look at GB, Chi, Hou or Bmore. Only SF and Atlanta I would call more healthy among contenders. So we need to suck it up and play. The team that we have is fully capable of winning another SB. I don’t think injuries can be used as an excuse at this point.

•  Dirt says:

Position by position, comparing 2011 to 2012

QB – Wash
      RB – 2012 until Brown got hurt, now Wash
      WR – 2011++
      TE – 2012
      OL – 2012
      DL – Wash/2011
      LB – Wash
      CB – 2011 (On C Webb alone)
      S – 2011 (On KP alone)

So, I started typing this thinking “Yeah he’s right, the 2012 team is pretty solid and actually probably as good as last year’s.”

But now having typed it? I think 2 significant upgrades (Beatty and Bennett) vs. 4 significant downgrades (Nicks, Manningham’s replacement, Phillips, Webster) and this team isn’t as good as last year. And that doesn’t even get into poor (by their own standards) years from Eli, JPP, Tuck, etc.

8.  GmenMania says:

Sean Locklear to IR. Selvish Capers is back on the 53 man roster.

9.  LUZZ says:

I think Amukamura is playing better than Ross

•  Dirt says:

I agree, but I think right now anyway, 2011 Webster/Ross/Amukamara > 2012 Webster/Amukamara/Hosley

Not at this point. Prince really got better in the last few games in 2011. I think Hosley can do the same. I think Prince this year is as good or better than webster last year and I have similar thoughts of Webster 2012 to Ross 2011. I think CB is actually a little better than last year when you consider Rolle was essentially the nickel back.

KP is the biggest question. If he is fairly healthy I like our DBs at least as much as last year.