New York Giants’ Jason Pierre-Paul Misses Practice with Back Issue

November 30th, 2012 at 2:00 PM

'Jason Pierre-Paul' photo (c) 2012, Mike Morbeck - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ Although Domenik Hixon, Keith Rivers, Jacquian Williams, Kenny Phillips and most others practiced (at least on an individual basis) for the New York Giants on Friday, one noticeable absence was that of defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul, who rode the stationary bike during the portion of practice open to the media.

Following the conclusion of practice, head coach Tom Coughlin acknowledged that JPP had missed practice due to a sore/tight back; an issue that has plagued the young superstar this season. In fact, it had caused him to miss a game against the Chicago Bears in the preseason.

Alas, Coughlin says he is not overly concerned with the issue and fully expects Pierre-Paul to play on Monday night against the Washington Redskins.

In addition to JPP, offensive lineman David Diehl (shoulder) and running back Ahmad Bradshaw (foot) did not practice.

Finally, although he practiced for the second straight day, J. Williams (knee) doesn't sound optimistic about playing on Monday night, saying he's "not 100%."

Tags: Football, Jason Pierre-Paul, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin

13 Responses to “New York Giants’ Jason Pierre-Paul Misses Practice with Back Issue”

TC is usually a fair judge. Given he’s not concerned we shouldn’t be too concerned either. It might be a blessing this is a Monday night game so he has extra time.

•  Valid says:

Yeah. If the injury was anything serious, Coughlin usually would just say something like “it’s his back” and wouldn’t comment any further on it.

Definitely a blessing that this is Monday night. Also gives Nicks an extra day to keep getting himself right.

J. Williams isn’t a huge loss if Rivers can suit up, and it sounds like he will be able to do so. And while I’m confident (based on Coughlin’s comment) that JPP will play, even if he didn’t they’d slot Kiwi into the DE rotation and be okay. They’d still have Boley and Rivers to play outside and will be going with 3-4 safeties which would take Kiwi out of that SAM spot on plenty of snaps.

Frankly, the health picture looks pretty good to me with the exception of Diehl (who could actually play a valuable role on Monday).

•  JimStoll says:

I really think this game is on Canty, LJ, and Chase early
      they need to shut down Morris in the first 2 to 3 drives; that will allow oue ends to get after RG
      and of course Eli will have to engineer a couple of TD drives
      put us up 14-0 after 1 and we could have a field day

•  Valid says:

Yeah. Getting out in front early is huge as that would start forcing WAS to throw the football. If you take away their read option, they become a much, MUCH easier offense to deal with.

Agreed. Plus I think the emergence of Brown and Hill to a lesser extent cut into William’s time anyways. It will be interesting to see how many snaps he gets with a healthy Rivers and KP around. But Williams is a loss special teams wise.

Health wise looking at the rest of the NFL, even Washington there is nothing we can really complain about.

I still want to hear KP practices tomorrow though. And if Diehl can’t play we can’t have any injuries to our tackles.

3.  Levito says:

Some more gems from Bennett:

Giants tight end Martellus Bennett, who this summer dubbed himself the “Black Unicorn,” offered one simple reason to dispute Jerron McMillian’s claim that he cried on the helmet-to-helmet hit from the Packers safety Sunday night.

“Unicorns don’t cry,” Bennett said. “You drink a unicorn’s tear, you could live forever.”

According to FoxSportsWisconsin.com, McMillian was fined $21,000 for the fourth-quarter hit on Bennett in the end zone during the Giants’ 38-10 win. Bennett lingered on the ground after the play and said later that he got the wind knocked out of him. He was given a concussion test and passed but did not return to the game.

McMillian, who was also flagged for unnecessary roughness on the play, told FoxSportsWisconsin.com that Bennett’s reaction may have played a role in the fine. “I guess he was crying and whatnot,” said McMillian, who has appealed the fine.

“Nothing anyone says bothers me personally,” Bennett said. “I make too much money to be bothered by what some chump says.”

In the locker room after the Packers game, Bennett said he thought the hit was a cheap shot.

“I’m not the police,” Bennett said today. “You run the red light, the police pull you over. Martellus doesn’t pull you over. I didn’t fine him. He cant get mad at me. I’d be mad, too, if I played the game for free.”

Either way, Bennett maintained that he did not cry after the hit.

“The last time I cried was when I asked my wife to marry me,” said Bennett, who then told a sweet story about proposing to his wife by the pool of a Houston-area hotel after he bought the ring that same morning.

After receiving the fine, McMillian also said in the report that he thinks the NFL has “a hit out” on the Packers, since a player on their roster has been fined for the third straight week. Bennett made a good point.

“They’ve been saying that since the Seattle game,” Bennett said. “I feel like the NFL, they’ve got a hit out on everybody. They fine everybody in the league.”

ROTFL!!!!!

He’s crazy funny! If he stays here because he’s so quotable he will make some legit money off the field. He just hasn’t been fully introduced to our more commercial fan base as of yet.

•  JimStoll says:

you have to love Bennett
      He’s a funny laid-back dude
      while the packers whine he jokes

4.  GIANTT says:

Im hoping Fewell comes up with the defense against RG111 and show the rest of the NFL how to do it as he did against Vick . Every team in the league should be thankful that the Giants showed how to bring Vick down . I think the speed of 3 safeties plus maybe Rolle being RG111s shadow might shut them down enough that that rookie RB doesnt get too many yards .
    Every week I say that I like Eli against the other QB . Im not changing my tune this week either . Giants aremaybe going to give up some plays to RG111 but I think Giants offense does the job 31-17

5.  GmenMania says: