New York Giants’ Chase Blackburn: “The Sky is the Limit for Us”

November 30th, 2012 at 10:00 AM

At times this season, the New York Giants have seemed like world beaters. They went into San Francisco and demolished the 49ers. Last Sunday, they embarrassed the Green Bay Packers on national television. However, in between those games, the team has been anything but consistent – showing both their best and their absolute worst. It's something linebacker Chase Blackburn hopes they get under control as there's no real ceiling for this team.

"The sky is the limit for us," Blackburn told NFL AM. "We have to play within ourselves, but also play at a higher level."

It's a common feeling amongst the Giants – namely Antrel Rolle – that this group is a far more talented group than the one that won Super Bowl XLVI. However, inconsistency has plagued them all season and prevented them from being in the position they probably should be in entering week 13. Instead, they find themselves in what they refer to as a "six game schedule" (now 1-0) that has tremendous ramifications. So much so that both the players and coaches feel they need to win out.

Because of that, Blackburn felt the team needed to prove something against the Packers. And they did. But this is the NFL and there's little time to celebrate.

A tremendous effort against the Packers could (and will) be easily forgotten if Big Blue goes into Washington and lays an egg against the Redskins. It would allow them right back into the hunt and diminish the Giants' NFC East lead to only one game with four to play.

Perhaps more damning, a loss would drop their division record to 2-3, allowing Washington the opportunity to seize any and all potential tie-breakers should they come into play down the stretch.

Alas, if Blackburn has his way, the Giants we'll see on Monday night will be the same Giants we saw last Sunday night.

Tags: Antrel Rolle, Chase Blackburn, Football, Green Bay, Green Bay Packers, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Washington

13 Responses to “New York Giants’ Chase Blackburn: “The Sky is the Limit for Us””

1.  Levito says:

repost:

Levito says:
    November 30, 2012 at 9:41 AM
    Drew Brees was far from good last night. But he’s also far from the biggest problem on that team. That defense is terrible. Record setting-ly terrible. On pace to give up a few hundred yards more than the worst ever defense in the history of the league. Hard to believe that’s a Spagnuolo-led defense.

On an unrelated note, maybe I’m a bit slow, but I realized yesterday that the Giants face the Redskins who are coming off of 11 days of rest and preparation after playing a Thursday night game, followed by a Saints team which will be coming off of 10 days of rest and preparation after playing last night.

2.  The Original G Man says:

Chase Blackburn: “The Sky is the Limit for Us”
    _____________

Agreed.

I think this week is a chance for Bradshaw and Wilson to grab total hold of the RB position. We brought in extra RBs to help if needed but I doubt we will give them much of a look if Bradshaw and Wilson handle the job well. Wilson barely got snaps with Bradshaw and Brown ahead of him so it good be similar for torrian and lumpkin. But I don’t think Wilson can afford many mistakes before he losses some time. So this game is very important to Wilson for him gaining trust with the coaching staff because this is one game he’s guaranteed chances.

•  jfunk says:

The issue is Wilson can’t replace Brown at the goal line and we can’t just expect to hand Bradshaw those carries (an by extension 25 a game from here on out).

Ideally, Bradshaw and Wilson will split all the “normal” reps and one of those guys will take the goal line and short yardage duty.

•  Levito says:

Even as recently as last year, Bradshaw was the goal line back. I think he can do that again for the balance of the season, as long as Wilson (and/or someone else) is given some of the other carries Bradshaw had been taking. Someone should be taking plenty of those carries anyway. Bradshaw is too important to the offense to be getting 25 carries a game anyway, he’s needed for the long haul.

An ideal workload would be 15 carries for Bradshaw including the goal line/short yardage carries, 10 for wilson, and the balance to Torrain/Lumpkin.

Even though I don’t have great confidence in him, I fully expect Bradshaw to be the short yardage back. So I expect Wilson to replace some of Bradshaw’s early down carries. I also wonder if coaches will try Wilson on 3rd down. He will have a real short leash if he is given a chance as the 3rd down back.

I have been anti Saints for thinking they have been overrated and just not liking them (though not on the F55 level – I like NO as a city). However, at 5-7 I don’t think they are quite done yet. 9-7 has a pretty good chance of getting a team the last wildcard spot in the NFC this year. So if the Saints win out they still have a decent playoff shot. So I expect a great effort from the Saints next week. Plus being fair they played both SF and ATL toe to toe but lost because their best player made huge mistakes. They are playing good football. Their horrible defense has played much much better the last month. My point is expect are great effort from a team playing good football next week. But the great thing for us is we get the chance to put the final nail in the coffin for the Saints. Should be fun.

5. Jfunk and GOAT56 — You guys are totally missing the point. Ryan Torain is the short yardage back. He’s a thumper. He’s here to eat up the goal line’s, the 3rd-and-1s and maybe a handful of 1-and-10s.

Not sure how exactly they are going to use Bradshaw and Wilson (basically revolves around Wilson’s ability in pass protections, and how that affects how much they can play him in passing situations), but one thing is for sure: Torain is going to start helping sooner rather than later, and in tough-yardage situations.

•  Levito says:

I dunno Simon. Gilbride’s offense is pretty complicated. You think Torrain will be able to pick it up in time?

In all seriousness though, I still think Bradshaw gets some of the short yardage carries. Especially if there on 1st and 2nd down when there’s a chance of a pass, I think he gets the nod.

That’s not my point. How long did it take for Brown to become the short yardage back? I don’t think TC/KG are going to just switch to the new thing so quickly. I’m saying Bradshaw will be given first crack. I’m not saying that’s right or wrong but from what I have seen in the past I would be surprised if Torrian came off the street and was just given that job.

•  jfunk says:

That’s basically what I said. Neither Bradshaw nor Wilson will be the short yardage back. One of the new guys will take those carries.

Bradshaw needs to be protected from the pounding and Wilson’s just not the type.

As far as how quickly can Torrain get up to speed, well that will certainly affect the play calling. They’ll have the plays they trust him with in there and may have to get “cute” outside of those.

Blackburn and Rolle are right. The sky IS the limit for this team and the roster IS superior to the one we had last season.

I think even the players don’t fully realize that over 17 weeks coming up with a solid effort each week has become almost impossible given injuries, personal dilemmas that become distractions, mistakes in game-planning, and running into teams that are just more motivated THAT week. The difference from top-to-bottom of the league is a LOT less than it used to be. There really are not many “gimmes” out there any more. And it is a certainty that on a given day a team floundering in the middle of the pack can beat one of the best teams in the NFL. All it takes is a turnover or two, the lesser team gaining “belief”, and a few mistakes by the superior team and the Big MO goes against them and soon enough an L shows up on the record.

So a really good team has to realistically shoot for 11-12 wins, make sure it gets 10 (which almost always makes the playoffs), hope to get a few breaks that lead to 13 wins and get a first week playoff bye, and focus on playing good ball in December as the playoffs loom. While the Giants may well back into the playoffs with nine wins this season, it looks to me like they’ll get the ten they need to make sure, and then it’s all about who is playing well and is relatively healthy at the right time.

I’m glad they’re talking about winning out, but it is very unlikely to happen. I hope they’re talking about 2-0 in their post-bye season after Monday because then the need for 10 wins will have diminished but they should be looking like they’ll get there anyway.

7.  GmenMania says: