November 28th, 2012 at 9:00 AM

As anticipated, the New York Giants signed not only Kregg Lumpkin on Tuesday, but former Washington Redskins running back Ryan Torain as well.

Torain and Lumpkin were part of a vast group of running backs who had worked out for the Giants in recent weeks, joining Joseph Addai, Rock Cartwright, Ryan Grant and Cadillac Williams. And with Da'Rel Scott already on Injured Reserve (IR) and Andre Brown designated to return, the team had found themselves in a desperate position, forced to sign a few bodies.

In order to make room for Torain (Lumpkin had taken Brown's spot), the Giants waived offensive lineman Selvish Capers, who had previously been promoted to the 53-man roster after defensive tackle Markus Kuhn was placed on IR.

With Capers expected to clear waivers, the Giants also terminated the practice squad contract of former Rutgers running back Joe Martinek so that Capers can be added back.

"My mind is blown," Martinek tweeted after being informed of his contract termination.

Capers was released and re-signed to the Practice Squad nine times a season ago, so it stands to reason that Martinek may eventually return (likely at the expense of Stephen Goodin).

Giants 101 will update you once the final Practice Squad move is made.

photo credit: rscottjones via photopin cc

Tags: Andre Brown, Football, Joe Martinek, Kregg Lumpkin, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Ryan Torain, Selvish Capers, Washington, Washington Redskins

28 Responses to “New York Giants Sign Ryan Torain, Waive Selvish Capers, Terminate Joe Martinek from Practice Squad”

1.  The Original G Man says:

Like clockwork … FF55Y types out a long one and “UPDATE UP TOP!” follows seconds later.

LOL!

2.  F0XLIN says:

I’ll help a brother out

Repost

fanfor55years says:
    November 28, 2012 at 9:00 AM
    You’re all way too worried about the Skins. I think the Giants are going to trash them. We didn’t play well the first time we met this season but there were three big things that will now be different:

1) Nicks was a shell of himself so Cruz had to be the primary target for Eli and, with the exception of that game-winning play, the Skins did a good job of covering him because they were able to assign one defender to Nicks and not worry about being too damaged by that;

2) Phillips didn’t play. He is a FAR greater player than most realize, and allows Fewell to do things that are totally different and will give RGIII fits. That kid is terrific, but he IS a rookie. Andrew Luck is probably even more brilliant than he, and notice what the Pats did to him (and their defense isn’t nearly as good as ours);

3) Canty was just recently back from the PUP list and we allowed Morris to savage us in the first half. I don’t think that happens again now that #99 is back and in full-go mode. And absent that run game RGIII becomes just another good mobile quarterback (albeit the MOST mobile of them all and able to make great plays with his legs); and

4) It’s one thing to look at that weird offense they run on film, another to have played against it. As some noted over the past few days, familiarity will certainly help the second time around.

Yes, the Skins are pumped up and confident. So were the Niners. Yes, teams with mobile quarterbacks can make good defenses look bad. Carolina had one of those. Yes, desperate teams playing at home can be very tough opponents. I think playoff teams playing at home in 2007 and 2011 would qualify since those are win-or-go-home games. The ONLY reason the majority of you are so worried is that we all know the Giants are maddeningly inconsistent (as are almost every other team in today’s NFL). But I see the Giants feeling that the Skins have started sounding like they’re the new sheriff in town (much like the Jets sounded last season the week before that game), knowing they have a chance to pretty much put the division championship in their back pocket, and wanting to “continue to improve each week”, coming in VERY focused and ready to dominate a team that is without question inferior to them.

I said the week before the Packers game that I felt very confident. Provided Kenny Phillips plays on Monday I am just as confident this week. I think the Giants are going to make it very clear who the “big boys” are in the NFC East and have the pundits start acknowledging that they are once again a force to be reckoned with.

Valid Goat and myself were also discussing pts 3 and 4, but I agree with all of the above

+1000

I would also add the media is starting to hype this game because the skins are playing so “well.” It’s the perfect set up for us. On the road, big game, hyped team. This is when we usually play our best. If KP is fine I’m boorderline cocky about this game.

•  kinsho says:

The one thing that worries me is that Pierre Garcon is back. If they run all over us like they did last time, that would open up play-action to Garcon, who could torch us for a touchdown at any time given his quickness.

That and the familiarity point runs both ways. Much like we understand the Redskins team better the second time around, they should better understand our pass rush and our proclivity to generate turnovers from the first round. I expect RG3 to take better care of the ball this time around. I don’t see us getting more than two turnovers, max.

•  Valid says:

Great post FF55. Agree on all points.

3.  F0XLIN says:

Dan/Simon re Torain, I am also excited about this signing

He should be a good giant if healthy. Similar to Jacobs. Hard runner.

Before giants signed I think he just recently started working out for teams because of injury from last year.

Shanahan liked him a lot dating back to Denver. He has had a lot of knee problems and broke his leg last year. I think Shanahan got sick of it and moved on, or just wanted to assess younger guys like Helu. Shanahan hates injury prone guys over time.

Not to worry TOGM, I’m not so easily discouraged……

fanfor55years says:
    November 28, 2012 at 9:00 AM

You’re all way too worried about the Skins. I think the Giants are going to trash them. We didn’t play well the first time we met this season but there were four big things that will now be different:

5.  The Original G Man says:

FF55Y – I can almost see Dan lying in wait for you to post and then … BAM! New article! LOL!

I’m intrigued by the Torain signing. Seems like an NFL-quality “big back” who is less than was Jacobs in his prime but better than was BJ his last two years here. He’s a far better receiver than BJ ever was, runs a bit upright like BJ, and doesn’t hit holes quickly because of the same “too-big-to-be-quick” defect that BJ always had.

Seems like a great signing.

7.  Levito says:

I think the Giants win, but I don’t think it’s as easy as ff55 is making it out to be. Sure, the Giants didn’t play their best game. But they’ve only played their “best” game in 3 out of 11 games so far this season. And the Redskins didn’t play their best game either. They’re a team which rarely turns the ball over (8 on the year, I believe) and they coughed it up twice against the Giants. Both teams played poorly last time and I expect both will play better this time.

But Eli will need to make some things happen this time. He hasn’t played well against Washington since 2009 completing less than 60% of his passes with 2 TD to 8 INT over that span. A nice boost in the running game from Wilson sure wouldn’t hurt either.

•  kujo says:

Inb4 FF55 says “all division games are difficult” and “I didn’t say it would be easy”

I think the giants played close to a bad game. The redskins played very well except for the TOs. Their defense is horrible and it held us in check, that shouldn’t happen. I look at it we should score at least 30 with a healthy Nicks and healthier looking Bennett. Now that our defense has seen this offense we should be able to hold them to around 20 points even sans TOs. I do think one of the reasons they has TOs is we began to figure them out so they were caught offguard. To me the only think working in their favor is adding Garcon and the Robinson kid at WR. They now have more speed and we have given up big plays. That’s why KP is big. If he doesn’t play then while I’m still like our chances my confidence does wane some.

•  Levito says:

Pierre “only thing working in their favor” Garçon is kind of a big threat. And last I checked, Webster really seems to enjoy giving up big plays to #1 receivers.

What I meant is that garcon/robinson is the only additional thing that works in their favor in comparison to last game we played. I think KP cancels out the Garcon/Robinson effect. And I think like we saw in the second half we now have an idea how to defend their offense.

It seems that Lumpkin will be the guy that plays specials and can fill in as a 3rd down back. Torrian will not replace Brown’s carries but will likely take his role as short yardage back. Hopefully, that means on 3rd and 1 we don’t use Bradshaw like we still have been too often. Wilson I think will see most of his time on first and second downs. If he can catch and run decent routes he could really help us out the backfield on early downs. Wilson can go out in a rooute while Hynoski stays in and blocks.

9.  Dirt says:

Covering Packers receiver Randall Cobb, Rolle held the up-and-coming star to four catches.

“One thing I like more than safety and my own goals is winning,” Rolle said.   “So whatever it takes to win, that is what I am going to do.  I like the role.”

I love Antrel Rolle.

10.  kujo says:

Here is this week’s team, which includes four changes, all on defense. After the team, I’ll offer a few more thoughts.

Quarterback: Robert Griffin III, Washington Redskins (Last week: Griffin)

Running back: Alfred Morris, Redskins (Morris)

Wide receiver: Victor Cruz, New York Giants; Dez Bryant, Dallas Cowboys (Cruz, Bryant)

Tight end: Jason Witten, Cowboys (Witten)

Fullback: Henry Hynoski, Giants (Hynoski)

Left tackle: Trent Williams, Redskins (Williams)

Left guard: Evan Mathis, Philadelphia Eagles (Mathis)

Center: Will Montgomery, Redskins (Montgomery)

Right guard: Chris Snee, Giants (Snee)

Right* tackle: Will Beatty, Giants (Beatty)

Defensive end: Jason Pierre-Paul, Giants; Jason Hatcher, Cowboys (Pierre-Paul, Hatcher)

Defensive tackle: Linval Joseph, Giants; Barry Cofield, Redskins (Joseph, Fletcher Cox)

Outside linebacker: DeMarcus Ware, Anthony Spencer, Cowboys (Ware, Spencer)

Inside linebacker: DeMeco Ryans, Eagles; Perry Riley, Redskins (Ryans, Bruce Carter)

Cornerback: Prince Amukamara, Giants; Morris Claiborne, Cowboys (Amukamara, Josh Wilson)

Safety: Antrel Rolle, Kenny Phillips, Giants (Rolle, Stevie Brown)

Kicker: Lawrence Tynes, Giants (Tynes)

Punter: Brian Moorman, Cowboys (Moorman)

Kick returner: David Wilson, Giants (Wilson)

Punt returner: Dwayne Harris, Cowboys (Harris)

Cofield’s development as a nose tackle since signing in Washington prior to 2011 has been impressive, and his increased comfort level at the position is starting to show up as he’s dominating up front. The Redskins’ defense has played much better since its Week 10 bye, and Cofield has emerged as one of its anchors. Cox has played very well as a rookie in Philadelphia, and the change at the DT spot is more about Cofield playing better than it is about any drop-off in Cox’s performance. It also has nothing to do with the fact that Cox left Monday night’s game with an injury.

You know I haven’t been able to feel good about the cornerback position on this team for two years now, since no one in the division has played it very well. But Wilson’s had too many out-and-out bad games, and while he’s covered well for the most part his mistakes can get too egregious. So I’m giving the spot to Dallas’ exciting rookie, Claiborne, for this week in the hope that he doesn’t do something Sunday night to make me look bad. He’s had his mistakes too, don’t get me wrong. I was there the day he kept getting called offside in Philadelphia. But again, the level of competition at cornerback in the NFC East isn’t top-notch, and Claiborne has shown enough flashes of the ability that made him the No. 1 defensive player in this year’s draft.

At inside linebacker, Riley was never far behind Carter, and with Carter getting hurt on Thanksgiving, Riley ascends to Sean Lee’s former spot. London Fletcher’s protégé looks like a long-term keeper in Washington.

For those who aren’t regular readers: Yes, I know Beatty plays left tackle for the Giants. But in the absence of a worthy right tackle candidate this year, I’ve moved him to that side to recognize excellent seasons he and Williams are having as the division’s top tackles. Plus, he has played one game there, so technically I’m in the clear.

And one more thing: I spent a lot of time looking at kicker, trying to see if the excellent seasons Dan Bailey and Alex Henery are having in Dallas and Philadelphia merited a change there. And yeah, I looked at Kai Forbath after that huge clutch kick he made for the Redskins on Thanksgiving. But Tynes has done nothing to deserve losing the spot, and he’s kicked more field goals than any of them. It’s a banner year for kickers in the NFC East, but Tynes is still having the best year of any of them.

As ever, I welcome your thoughts.