New York Giants Waive Michael Coe Off of Injured Reserve

November 27th, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Two weeks after being placed on Injured Reserve (IR) with a hamstring injury, the New York Giants have decided to waive cornerback Michael Coe, allowing him to become a free agent.

Coe, who had played in 21 games for the Giants over the past three seasons, was initially shocked over his IR designation and hinted that his release may eventually be coming.

"There was no reason to go on IR, but they listed it as minor," Coe said earlier this month. "We'll see what happens in the next couple of weeks."

In seven games this year, Coe made 13 tackles and defended two passes.

Photo Credit: Mike Gannon

Tags: Football, Michael Coe, New York, New York Giants, NFL

13 Responses to “New York Giants Waive Michael Coe Off of Injured Reserve”

1.  The Original G Man says:

Stupid procedural question … if a player who is released from IR like Coe clears waivers, is he actually eligible to re-sign with his original team?

•  jfunk says:

I’m not 100% certain, but I don’t think so. I’m pretty sure he is ineligible to return to the team he was IR’d by for the rest of the football year (Feb, March?) even if he is signed then released by another team.

2.  Valid says:

As far as the Redskins game goes, keep in mind that this is the first time in RGIII’s career that he is meeting a team for the second time. It’s like a veteran baseball team seeing a rookie pitcher for the first time. They don’t know what he throws, what his tendencies are, etc. By the second time around, they have a better understanding of what type of pitcher he is.

The Giants now have film of RGIII playing against themselves. No other team in the league had the luxury of having that through the first 11 games of this season. That is why I expect the Giants to do a much better job of defending him this coming week. I don’t think we’ll see RGIII have the same kind of success he had five weeks or so ago.

Krow, I’ll also see you’re worried about the Eagles game. I’m not worried for a few reasons. First of all, there is a very good chance we have the division locked up by then and that, at the most, we may just be playing for seeding. Second of all, the Eagles absolutely suck. They are 3-8 and have shown absolutely no sign of life since beating us.

Finally, there is NO WAY IN HELL this Giants team loses a game that it has to win in Week 17 against that sorry a$$ group of scumbags. If it turns out that we need that game to get in, I expect the Giants to win that game something like 41-7.

•  F0XLIN says:

Excellent point, 1st time through the lineup is always easy

I think the key with RG3 is Morris. If we stop the run like we did in the second half we should be fine. It seems like 90% of their pass plays are based off of play action. The one thing i do worry about though is the big play. Garcon will play and now the Robinson kid is engaged. We can’t let them have anything cheap like that Jordy Nelson play.

The Eagles are one of the worse collapses I have seen.

3. TOGM — I don’t think so. I remember it came up when I suggested waiving Terrell Thomas so we could resign him later when healthy. I don’t remember exactly, but there was some sort of bureaucratic hurdle that made it far more likely he’d end up elsewhere.

This thing with Coe really, really boggles my mind. I thought this kid was a pretty darn good player. 26 years old, a decent amount of experience, and he always seemed to be doing a good job on the field.

I suppose at the end of the day they decided they liked Hill and Brown enough and that Rolle and Hill could play enough CB they didn’t need him, but I’m surprised he got the axe over Tryon over such a minimal injury.

Coe seemed like the kind of cheap, effective player that make up the middle and back of good rosters in this league.

It vexes me. I’m terrible vexed.

4.  kujo says:

Is David Wilson ready for a big finish to his rookie season? Oh yeah, he is. “Like I’ve been saying all year you just prepare,” Wilson said. “Be prepared so when your chance comes, you’ll be ready. That’s what I’ve been doing. Completing the quizzes with Henry (Hynoski), going through practice, shadowing Andre (Brown) and Ahmad (Bradshaw) at practice and making sure I’m watching them and paying attention when they’re in the games and seeing how I would react in the situation they’re in and all the things you can do to prepare and be ready so when it’s your turn you can step up without missing a step. Andre played a big role in our offense, so with his absence somebody is going to have to definitely step up on the offensive side of the ball and the coaches told me that I’m the next guy. So I’ve been preparing and hopefully I’ll be ready when they call my number.”

•  JimStoll says:

give the kid 10+ carries and he’s likely to break something
      also, like the way he looked on that one flat pass sunday
      with all their injuries, the Skins LBs are not exactly the fastest bunch
      Wilson could do some real damage in open space

5.  The Original G Man says:

You gotta love Hynoski. Making the kid do homework? Classic!

Simon -

I think with Coe we just messed up. We need a roster spot and felt he was the best place to go. It reminds me a lot of Cruz in 2010. The difference is that Cruz trusted his future with us rather than requesting his release. I don’t know if we could have kept a healthy Coe on IR against his will.

It seems like a perfect opportunity for Coe to sign with the redskins. They need DB help.

7.  Grateful Giants says:

The Redskins, and their fans, have had a tough year so far.

They thought they had the World series wrapped up, then they sat their best pitcher.

They thought they had the stanley cup wrapped up, then they couldn’t get out of MSG.

They are the WORST TEAM in the NBA

and then there’s the skins. These fans will be crazy with their team with a losing record, they are awful fans to begin with, throw beers at ladies, push women wearing other teams jerseys, and chant acronyms during the national anthem. They will be loud, but they are not smart, so I don’t see the noise being a factor, they’ll cheer when the Redskins are on O and be perfectly still and quiet when the Giants have the ball.

The skins thought they had us earlier in the year, the skins fans who sat behind us were so obnoxious during the whole game, there was no way the Giants weren’t pulling off that win.

Our O vs their D > their O vs our D

The difference may just come down to special teams.

We need to do 3 things to beat the skins and they are relatively simple.

1. Catch the ball, the only reason any of these gmen skins games are close is because we just drop a ton of balls against them. Both games last year, and a few balls the first game this year. We need to start fast, which I think we will.

2. Get down the field and make tackles quickly on ST. Need to give them tough starting field position.

3. Outside contain. If NaNcy Grifen wants to run the ball, make her run up the middle. Same with Morris. They can run up the middle all they want, DO NOT LET THEM GET OUTSIDE.

All of these are focus/effort. Nothing crazy, nothing sophisticated, and nothing earth shattering.

Sorry for the rant, I just hate the Redskins after living in DC for 10 years