New York Giants’ Martellus Bennett Saves Fan Who Fell from Stands

November 27th, 2012 at 7:30 AM
By Casey Sherman

'Martellus Bennett 2012 Shankbone' photo (c) 2012, David Shankbone - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ New York Giants tight end Martellus Bennett happened to be in the right place at the right time on his way to the locker room, following Sunday night's blowout of the Green Bay Packers. He noticed a fan lunging towards the side of the tunnel where the players entered the locker room. The fan failed to see the kid in front of him bend over, resulting in him flipping over the railing about fifteen feet from the ground. Luckily for the fan, Bennett saw the whole scene unfold and was able to catch him.

Bennett was making his way back to the locker room, throwing his gloves into the stands, when the incident happened. Martellus, who calls himself "The Black Unicorn," was his usual animated self as he explained what happened to reporters.

"I was doing what I usually do, moseying to the locker room and meandering around," Bennett said. "Naturally, I just wanted to step back, but I did the righteous thing and I stepped up. I caught him, I saved his life. I tapped into my inner superhero, which I do have."

"I'm usually a ninja, but my Spidey-senses told me he was going to take a fall, so I saved his life. He owes me his firstborn or something. Actually, I don't want that. Maybe a sandwich or something."

Bennett admitted he had always wanted to be a superhero and this was his chance to shine.

“It was all a childhood dream to be a superhero. This was like a dream come true,” Bennett said. “I had my Giants uniform on, which is my Superman cape,”

After finishing his good deed for the day, Bennett made his way to the locker room to brag to his teammates, though no one seemed to care.

“I was like, ‘Yeah, I just saved some guy’s life’ when I went in,” he said. “Everybody just kind of blew me off.”

Unfortunately for the falling fan, he wasn't able to thank Bennett for "saving his life." New Jersey State Police took him away before he had the chance. The man is now facing undisclosed charges to which Bennett commented "That sucks."

Keep an eye out for the next edition of "The Adventures of The Black Unicorn." The story of a hero who spends his time saving lives while his alter-ego, Martellus Bennett, plays tight end for the New York Giants. Who's life will this mysterious hero save next?

Tags: Football, Martellus Bennett, New York, New York Giants, NFL

9 Responses to “New York Giants’ Martellus Bennett Saves Fan Who Fell from Stands”

What really worries me is that we have problems in games where we’re less motivated than our opponents. It seems like way too often we’re out hit and out hustled when the other club has some sort of extra incentive. Looking at the remaining games it has to give you pause …

Washington … they want to make a statement that they’re the future of the NFC East. They’re home … they’re hot … they’re in the hunt. They’ll be pulling out all the tricks in their bag. Monday night, and we love to be humiliated in front of a national audience.
    Big edge Redskins

New Orleans … still in the hunt. Chip on their shoulder. They’d love to knock off the defending champs. But we’re home … and they’re a different team outdoors.
    Edge Giants

Atlanta … we crushed their dreams. They crave revenge. It’s a home game for them, and they’ll want to serve notice on the NFL that they’re not a push over any longer.
    Edge Falcons

Baltimore … by now we’re desperate. The Ravens will have locked up their Division.
    Edge Giants

Philadelphia … Andy Reid’s last game. They’ll be loose with nothing on the line. And they know we’re their b-tch. A perfect scenario to ruin our season.
    Big Edge Eagles

If that holds true then we’re 9-7. Without help we’re in a lot of trouble should either the Skins or Cowboys catch fire. Very troubling.

•  Emperor Norton says:

No way Philly beats us in their current (sorry) state. If Vick gets shelved for the season (which seems likely–the guy is a turnover machine even when he isn’t concussed, and Reid isn’t coaching for his job anymore, so why risk ending the guy’s career?), I like our odds against Nick Foles and their running game.

Washington worries me a little, but even if they manage to run the ball down our throats all game, all we need to do is start strong and be playing up 7-14 points, and we’ll make RGIII beat us with his arm, which I don’t think he can do. Their defense has been overachieving all season, and without any viable pass rush, I think Eli will carve them up.

Nawlins also worries me a bit, but I’m with you on Brees playing outdoors. They’re a precision offense without a marquee receiver, and our pass rush is going to be merciless.

I’ve been waiting for the Atlanta game all year. Like the Saints have our number, we’ve got Atlanta’s number. Matty Ice breaks down under pressure, and if Osi and JPP can get in his head, this will be a 15+ point blowout.

Worst case, I see us 3-2 and the clear division champion.

•  Krow says:

I think the Washington game could be a full-on disaster. It has all the earmarks.

•  JimStoll says:

the one positive for the giants heading into Fed-X Monday night is that the Skins are no longer a joke.
          despite a 5-6 record and an injury riddled defense, the Redskins are considered for real
          my conclusion is that one leg of the giants proverbial three-legged let-down stool has been removed

the giants still need to overcome their propensity to look opportunity in the face and reject it, but hey: one leg at a time

2.  Levito says:

One of the funnier lines from the Bennett interview: “I just save lives. I actually saved about 12 people but only like four of those were drowning. Some people was about to drown; they just didn’t know it yet.”

•  kujo says:

He lost me when he compared himself to Scott Summers (Cyclops). I’ve never been a big fan of the X-men comics (or movies), but the current storylines pertaining to that specific character are such that you wouldn’t want to compare yourself to him (unless you were a fan of a fascist dictator, fueled by an immortal and mutable manifestation of the prime universal force of life and passion called the Phoenix Force, engineering the murder of Professor Xavier and millions of others).

3.  demo3356 says:

I actually think We will have a good plan for RG3 on MNF. Say wahat you want about Fewell, he usually makes a rally good adjustment after he sees something.
    *Green Bay Lit us up last year for 38 points the first time and he has completely shut them down twice since then not allowing 38 points combined
    * San Fran got us last year in the regular season with Harbaugh’s Dink and dunk west coast offense and Fewell has shut them down the last two times
    * Week 1 Dallas Had a field day with a bunch f 3 and 5 step drops and quick hitting Slants and ins then the second time around we had like 6-7 turnovers and a DTD.

I think it bodes well for us with both RG3 and the Saints/ Falcons. He will make adjustments and have plans for Rg3 and Brees. We will probably be completely bewildered by whatever Baltimore does but by then they may have nothing to play for

•  JimStoll says:

I would think that Fewel would instruct his DE’s to ignore the inside fake/handoff to Morris — having the DT’s and LB’s handle that, and have them handle the edge. If they don’t bite, given how close to the line RG puts himself, there could be some big time hit opportunities. but that strategy depends on Canty, LJ, Chase and Kiwi having monster games inside. shutting down Morris is the key

I don’t know a thing about superheroes beyond Superman, Batman and Lawrence Taylor, but Reese has to sign Marty B. up for a few more years. The entertainment value is worth the price. And, oh yeah, the guy can play. He’s a terrific blocker and seems headed toward 50-55 catches for the season, a very fine rate of production for a Giants’ tight end.

Here’s my plan for our tight ends: sign Bennett (for another two or three years) if he’ll take a reasonable deal, bring Robinson along with an eye toward his being a big contributor by 2014, keep Bear at veteran minimum, and try to nab Zack Erst in the third round in April if he’s still on the board (highly unlikely, but you never know).