November 26th, 2012 at 4:18 PM
By Simon Garron-Caine

The saga of Andre Brown continues, with the latest update that Brown has in fact been placed on injured reserve, but has been designated to return. Theoretically, this indicates the Giants think Brown has some chance of playing at some later date.

'Aaron Ross and Kenny Phillips' photo (c) 2010, Marianne O'Leary - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Jenny Vrentas brings us the latest: Tom Coughlin said the designation to return would provide Brown "incentive" and "great purpose."

Perhaps more importantly, Coughlin's words on David Wilson: "It's his time."

With temporary-IR'd players not eligible to return for six or eight weeks or something like that, it's hard to see this as much more than a prayer or a token designation. Coughlin anointed Wilson and said they'd be evaluating running backs in the next few days, so the page is all but turned.

In other news, Coughlin said Kenny Phillips aggravated the same MCL injury that caused him to miss some time recently, but didn't have much more than a wait-and-see.

With Robert Griffin III, Drew Brees and Matt Ryan leading the Washington Redskins, New Orleans Saints and Atlanta Falcons into battle with Big Blue in the coming weeks, Phillips' status might be more important to the Giants than Brown's.

Tags: Andre Brown, Atlanta Falcons, David Wilson, Football, Kenny Phillips, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Robert Griffin III, Tom Coughlin, Washington Redskins

42 Responses to “New York Giants RB Andre Brown Designated to Return, Kenny Phillips Status up in the Air”

1.  Valid says:

Honestly, it might be best to play it safe and sit Phillips this coming weekend. It is a big game, but it is not a MUST-win game, and I think we can beat Washington without him. It’s the games against Atlanta and New Orleans where we will need him most, and, of course, the playoffs.

I want him healthy for the postseason so we can continue to employ that three-safety look through January. It is absolutely lethal.

•  jfunk says:

This week against Washington just might be the single most important game left though. A win would all but lock up the division.

Normally I’m a play it safe but jfunk is right. If we win this game we have a strong 2 game lead with only Philly left in the division. Washington is done in the division because we have a 3 game lead and the tiebreaker so essentially a 3.5 game lead on them. And we still could have the tie breaker with Dallas.

In addition, KP makes a huge difference versus Washington even more than some other teams. I think if you take away the big play from Washington you can keep them in check. With Garcon back and the Robinson kid playing now, they are more explosive at WR than when we faced them the first time. We really could use KP on the back end.

•  TroyThorne says:

What? This is probably the most important game the rest of the way. Winning this almost assures us the division. We need to play our best on Monday Night.

• Yes and no. While this is probably the biggest game of the year in that it all but seals the division, you still don’t rush Kenny back for it.

The importance of this game doesn’t change how you approach Phillips. If he’s okay to play he plays, if he’s not then he doesn’t.

•  Valid says:

Most important game or not, we can certainly beat Washington without Phillips. There is no need to rush him back and risk further injury in a game that is not a must-win. I’d rather have him healthy for the playoffs.

If KP has to sit I will be very curious to see how they use Will Hill. He’s a rookie, so will make a few mistakes, but the guy is a stud. He has much more talent than Sash and Brown. I also think he’s superior against the run to either of them, and stopping Morris is the key to winning on Monday. I really hope KP can play, but if he cannot then I am very hopeful that Hill will (Will Hill….Hill will…nice turn of phrase, don’t you think?).

And speaking of turn of phrase, where is norm? Anyone know? I hope he went on a long vacation and, like I do, doesn’t look at the internet when he’s away. Actually, I just hope he’s alright. If you’re out there, let us know.

You have to be very concerned about KPs long term prospects. He’s been fighting knee issues for 2 years now, and there doesn’t seem to be an end in sight.

I hope this isn’t going to turn into a sad story of a great player brought low by his physical maladies.

•  jfunk says:

Hasn’t that kind of been known since his original knee problem was diagnosed?

I can’t remember exactly, but I was under the impression it was some kind of chronic arthritic condition that was guaranteed to always be an issue.

4.  demo3356 says:

Pretty sure Brown is out til the Superbowl. Last week Denver put McGahee on Temp IR and he was said to be eligible to come back for the AFC Championship game

•  kujo says:

Bingo.

It’s math–they’re not eligible to return until 8 weeks have passed. That would be the week prior to the Super Bowl.

•  jfunk says:

Yeah, there was no reason NOT to use the tag on him now since it will be logistically impossible to use it next week and beyond.

5.  kujo says:

Looks like Jaicquan is gonna play this week.

I think we will be underdogs next Monday. The entire universe has fallen in love with RGIII and the Skins have given Eli fits since bringing in a new defensive coordinator.

Good. TC won’t need much extra motivation. A win just about clinches the division, and it’s insulting to have beaten them some weeks ago, murdered the Packers, and still find themselves dogs.

If the middle of the defense can keep Alfred Morris under wraps I think we’re going to see how Mr. Griffen does from on his back. But we’ll need either an excellent three-safety look or availability of both Rivers and Williams to offset that option read that RGIII loves to run. Until KP came up lame I thought we were in really good shape for the Monday Night game. Now I have to see who plays before feeling any sense of how the game will go.

7.  TonyMW says:

I know Demo won’t like this, but what’s been going on with Tim Hightower? I haven’t heard his name since his last injury, but he’s the type of guy I wouldn’t mind bringing in. Torain or Hightower are guys that have some experience and production in the NFL, but most importantly, they have size. I’d welcome them over some random PS guy.

8.  BBWC says:

Tiki Barber says, “he’s ready to step in for Brown”, but with one stipulation, he gets 80% of the play calls. He said if his twin brother can still play, he can play to. Tiki claims that he has a burning desire to make up with Giant fans…..however, he also mentioned that he needs the money to pay for a divorce settlement with his ex wife, but was very adamant that it had nothing to do with his decision to return to his glory days with the G-men!

Please … Someone … Anyone … Hire Gruden so I never have to listen to his incessant knob slobbing any longer.

I live in DC and the buzz about the Redskins is more than I remember in years. This atmosphere Monday night will be more like RFK well maybe not that crazy but you get the point. There is a real confidence the Redskins are going to win. I think it’s a great set up for us. We usually play well in extremely hostile environments.

•  G-MenFan says:

Right up until we try to throw a home run ball when we’re in field goal range and get called for Offensive pass interference.