November 23rd, 2012 at 4:00 PM

When the New York Giants released their final injury report on Friday afternoon, it was no surprise that wide receiver Domenik Hixon (ankle) and linebacker Jacquian Williams (knee) were both listed as out. Neither were expected to suit up against the Green Bay Packers on Sunday night.

"He was sick today, so we didn’t push him," coach Tom Coughlin said of Williams.

The good news was that defensive tackle Linval Joseph (knee) practiced on Friday, and he was listed as probable. Joining him as probable are running back Ahmad Bradshaw (foot), center David Baas (ankle/elbow), guard Chris Snee (ankle) and safety Tyler Sash (ankle).

Finally, safety Kenny Phillips (knee) and linebacker Keith Rivers (calf/knee) are listed as questionable. However, Coughlin expects Phillips to play.

"Each day he's been a little better, and he's done a little better and a little more on the practice field, and hopefully he’ll feel he can make a strong contribution," Coughlin said.

Meanwhile, for the Packers, linebacker Clay Matthews, safety Charles Woodson, cornerback Sam Shields and linebacker Terrell Manning were all ruled out. Additionally, wide receiver Greg Jennings is listed as questionable.

photo credit: West Point Public Affairs via photopin cc

Tags: Ahmad Bradshaw, Chris Snee, Clay Matthews, David Baas, Domenik Hixon, Football, Green Bay, Green Bay Packers, Jacquian Williams, Kenny Phillips, Linval Joseph, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Sam Shields

11 Responses to “New York Giants’ Jacquian Williams, Domenik Hixon Out on Sunday Against Green Bay Packers”

Interesting. I suspect Jennings will sit out too. The Packers have four division games out of the five that follow the game Sunday night. Much as we may view this game as important, and as one the Packers are circling on their schedule, I think they would wisely prefer to sit anyone questionable and get them ready for their stretch run. They have by no means clinched a division title or playoff berth yet, and those division games have far greater consequence for them.

That’s not to say that the Sunday game is going to be easy. But absent Matthews, Woodson, Shields, Manning and Jennings, they (particularly their defense) do not look very scary. Take two receivers (Cobb and whomever else Fewell picks) away and I’m not sure how easy it will be for Rodgers to look great. They shouldn’t be able to run on us and I think the three safety look can somewhat neutralize Finley and Nelson.

I am liking the Giants’ chances in this game. In fact, this is the most confident I’ve been about a game in a month.

•  kinsho says:

Rodgers still has weapons out there. Cobb, Finley, Nelson, and James Jones. Luckily, Green Bay doesn’t have much of a running game, but they were never really known lately for winning on their running game.

As much hype as this game is getting, the Giants can win this game outright simply by our defensive line applying constant pressure against Rodgers. Easier said than done, but a victory is mostly assured as long as our defensive line holds up on their end here.

I’ll be watching Eli and his receivers carefully. I’ll also be watching the right side of the offensive line. I’m sure if Green Bay did their homework, they’d realize that the easiest way to reach Manning is to go through Snee and Diehl.

“He (Jacquian Williams) was sick today, so we didn’t push him,” coach Tom Coughlin said …

This is bad for Williams. It means that they see so little value in his being on the field that if he’s sick … well, whatever … activate someone else. His promise from last season seems to have faded into nothing.

•  demo3356 says:

little bit of a negative outlook there… I take it to mean more along the lines of he hasn’t played or even really practiced much in 6 weeks that since he was sick they aren’t pushing him. Kid was a huge contributor for us last year, he’s jst been dealing with health issues all year. I look for hi to be a big player for us down the stretch

3.  James Stoll says:

In all seriousness, the fact that Bradshaw is healthy enough to play likely means Brown continues to sit, which I do not look at as a positive

•  demo3356 says:

Att Yds Avg Lng TD Rec Yds Av
      Bradshaw 151 675 4.5 37 4 17 122 7.2
      Brown 60 321 5.4 31 7 12 86 7.2
      Wilson 18 89 4.9 40T 1 1 3 3.0

4.  demo3356 says:

Well no excuses now. We couldn’t ask for this game to be served up any nicer for us. Missing 3-4 key defenders and Jennings either out or very rusty and out of Sync with Rogers. The Giants need to take this one. It may be one of the 2 most winnable games left on their schedule

5.  Nosh.0 says:

GB game is certainly winnable, unless Rodgers decides to have one of his “I’m so locked in today, there is no effing way you’re beating me” games. Him, Brees, Brady, and Peyton are usually good for 2-3 of these a year. So as long as “that” Rodgers doesn’t show up than we’re in it.

Eli on the other hand is usually good for zero “theres no way you’re beating me today” games, but he is good for several “sorry but it’s the 4th Q and I’m winning this game” 4th quarter performances a year.

Should be fun. I still wouldn’t call it a must win, but they need to at least look good and play hard. Washington on the other hand is a must win in my mind.

6.  Dirt says:

Coughlin sounds confident that Phillips will play, but I’m not. Not if heisted at questionable. I feel like on this team, questionable often predicts doubtful.

KP is the key to this defense turning around. They haven’t played brutal the last 6 games (only times), but he’ll make the whole thing work better than it has.