November 20th, 2012 at 11:20 AM
By Simon Garron-Caine

'Justin Tuck' photo (c) 2012, Mike Morbeck - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ Tuesday mornings bring a sense of Spring during football season, as the highs and lows of tester-Sunday are replaced by the freshness of hope; a new opponent, another game, new life. For the New York Giants, shaking off the bye-week cobwebs and getting back into the playoff race starts off with Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers at home.

Literally, the New York Daily News did not have an article on the Giants in Monday morning's paper. Today's a whole new ballgame.

Hooked on a feeling

Open any paper that covers the Giants and you're going to get some version of the defiant "We're still a playoff team" story. In the NY Post, they did two of them, one on each side of the ball: Justin Tuck and the defense are aiming to "regain" a lost focus, while Eli Manning and his rested arm say they're ready to get the offense back on track.

Frustration growing for Wilson

David Wilson has been a mystery for Giants fans, as the first-rounder has been relegated mostly to kick return duties while the Giants running game has struggled. Wilson, referring to the constant coach-speak about proving yourself, is beginning to ask how he's supposed to do that from the bench.

We have a sneaking suspicion the Giants have been biding their time, trying not to inundate the rookie too soon and start burning the tread too early lest he hit a rookie wall. We think the world will see a lot more of David Wilson in the next month or two.

Other story lines:

Kenny Phillips is practicing and thinks he'll play Sunday. Keith Rivers is out with a bruised knee from a car accidents. And the Giants think the Packers are coming in angry.

After the way the Giants have been playing, it's going to take more than a healthy Phillips and a fresh Wilson to beat the Packers. It will take offensive leaders like Tuck and Manning backing up their words.

Tags: Aaron Rodgers, David Wilson, Eli Manning, Football, Green Bay Packers, Justin Tuck, Keith Rivers, Kenny Phillips, New York, New York Giants, NFL

31 Responses to “New York Giants Tuesday Morning Storylines: Looking Forward to Aaron Rodgers and the Packers”

1.  demo3356 says:

Tuck plays offense?

2.  demo3356 says:

I think it is going to be a great game Sunday night. Giants staff had 2 weeks to prepare for the packers and they are pretty banged up. Their Oline is a mess so hopefully the Pass rush can get to him. The key is not playing the soft zone and allowing all the 3 step drops and underneath stuff. A healthy Phillips back there with Rolle and Brown would be huge.
    On Offense as I’ve been saying for 3 weeks I believe Wilson gets 10+ touches a game starting this week and that number will grow as the season goes into the playoffs. A Healthy Nicks will also open a lot on offense.
    I see a 33-28 Giant victory. Giants run for over 200 yards as the packers play two deep all night to keep Cruz and Nicks from killing them.

•  Eric S says:

I only hope you’re right about Wilson getting 10+ touches starting this week but if Bradshaw plays I just don’t see the coaches suddenly reversing field. Brown rarely gets 10 touches a game and he’s shown he can be very productive when called upon.

3.  demo3356 says:

Goat- not sure how but somehow you missed my point on Jason Big Stiff Campbell. My point as I said several times is that he is, always was and always will be a complete stiff. Those clown stats you posted were over an 8 year career. Those are numbers that a real QB puts up in 2 maybe 3 years. How you could watch that game and see anything but Stiff is beyond me bro.. He’s turrible..

I don’t know how you can watch that game a blame him. Did u see the protection. He got hit basicially everytime he dropped back. Did you see how fast SF got pressure on him with a 4 man rush? When that happens a QB has little chance. Vick didn’t look good with that type of protection either. I understand your point and I don’t agree. I watched him play a lot and saw him playing good ball before he got injured. I think if he doesn’t get injured the raiders are in the playoffs.

74 TDs and 50 ints is not something that stiffs do, it’s just not. He’s like Kyle Orton, not great but guys that can win with the right players around.

•  jfunk says:

Yeah, he wasn’t the biggest problem on the field. That doesn’t explain his being terrible for all the other years of his career though.

4.  demo3356 says:

It will be fun to see how quickly the concussion symptoms go bye bye for Vick and Cutler after the performances bye the twin Stiffs Nick Foles and Jason Campbell.

Foles is a rookie playing behind a horrible horrible OL and a coach that won’t change his approach towards running the ball. Campbell played against maybe the best defense in the NFL with a horrible OL on the road.

Cutler I think will play because he didn’t have a serve concussion. But Vick could be out a long time. It makes no sense to start Vick again anyways. Philly is really done. The team isn’t even really fighting anymore.

•  Krow says:

By the same token, I expect poor Alex Smith to need another week to fully recover.

5.  jfunk says:

I don’t get a warm fuzzy feeling from Wilson’s comments. Sounds to me like he doesn’t “get it”.

If he feels like he is doing those other things well in practice, and Ingram doesn’t, then he must not be hearing what coach is telling him.

Regardless, when your position coach says you aren’t doing it well enough to earn playing time, I’d really like to hear you say you’re working hard to improve to the media, not “I think I already am doing things well enough and there’s nothing more I can do until I get more playing time.”

•  Levito says:

+1. And he shouldn’t be griping to the media either. Keep it short, say you’re doing all you can, and move on. You’re not going to win over the coaching staff by crying about it to reporters.

•  kinsho says:

Nah, I don’t necessarily mind grievances being aired out. Sure, it might make the organization look bad (though news like this is nothing compared to that train wreck of a Jets season), but it helps me gain even more insight into the team and what’s going on in the minds of the player.

•  Levito says:

Sure, as a fan, we always want to see/hear more about what’s going on. But as a person who actually wants the team to be tighter/smarter/better, I prefer they keep their mouths shut. And I’m sure if I were part of the team, I’d want the players to keep it in house as well.

•  jfunk says:

It’s not the organization that his comments make me worry about, it’s him.

If he doesn’t actually understand what the coaches expect him to do at this point, that’s not a good sign. The fact that he doesn’t understand that these comments are counterproductive to their view of him is also concerning.

In other words, he doesn’t “get it”.

•  Levito says:

I’m not disagreeing. But at the same time, if I were the team I’d tell him (and any other player who has grievances) to shut up about it publicly. Work on it in house. IMO, it’ll always go over smoother when you don’t b¡tch about it to the media.

Kenny Phillips “thinks” he’ll play? That doesn’t sound so wonderful to me. If he isn’t out there the complexion of the game changes a lot.

This Sunday would be the right time for the defensive line and secondary to play their best game of the season. Look for Rodgers to try and exploit either the third safety or Paysinger, one of whom is going to be playing a lot in the absence of Rivers and Williams.

This is a game where the team simply cannot come out flat, throw a pair of three-and-outs on the field while they “start to get the feel”, and expect to win. And they’d better get their act together in the Red Zone (yeah, I’ll start calling it a Green Zone when they start showing me they can get touchdowns when they are inside the 20-yard line).

This is a “must win”. No way around it.

•  jfunk says:

Yeah, bad sign that KP isn’t saying “I’m 100% ready to go” after all this rest. That mean’s he’s definitely a shell of himself for the rest of the season, no way around it.

We just gotta hope we can squeeze a handful of good games out of him.

•  kinsho says:

I’m actually concerned for Kenny Phillips too. Not good that he’s saying he’ll ‘think’ he can play.

And yeah, Rodgers is going to try to gut the soft spot of our defense, the flat. Cobb might even have a field day if we don’t shut him down with press and double coverage.

Coe surprised G-Men placed him on IR

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Giants cornerback Michael Coe said Monday that he was placed on injured reserve with the minor injury designation, and he was surprised the Giants made that decision to place him on IR. Once Coe is healthy, the Giants can release him, but he can’t come back to the team this season.

Coe was placed on IR on Nov. 10th as he was battling a hamstring injury.

“There was no reason to go on IR, but they listed it as minor,” Coe said. “We’ll see what happens in the next couple of weeks.”

Coe, who has been with the Giants since 2010, has played just 21 games with the Giants over the past three seasons, starting just one game in the opener this season vs. Dallas. The 28-year-old had 13 total tackles and two pass deflections in seven games this year. It’s the second straight year he’s gone on injured reserve, and he was puzzled by the move.

“It was never a real injury, it was just a little fluid, like a week or two. I’m not injured,” Coe said. “Certain things have to happen the way they happen on the business side, so we’ll see what happens.”

Leading up to the Giants game against Cincinnati on Nov. 11, Coe suffered a hamstring injury, which kept him out of practice before the game. The cornerback said back then he did not expect it would be an injury that would sideline him for the rest of the year, although he had yet to visit a team doctor.

One day before the game, the team put Coe on injured reserve, while it activated safety Will Hill. Coe said that while he had a hamstring injury early in the season, this problem was more like tendonitis in his calf. He added he’s feeling fine and doesn’t believe his play played a role in why he was placed on IR.

“I guess they needed a roster spot,” Coe said. “That’s what you get.”

He added: “It’s part of the business.”

•  Krow says:

Everything he says is correct … but it’s still a stupid thing to say.

•  kinsho says:

It amazes me that the Giants do not talk to their players about these types of scenarios. You would think that management would have sat down with Coe for an honest face-to-face as to why he was being placed on IR’d and on how to conduct himself in front of the media for the rest of the season.

Nonetheless, I do enjoy seeing grievances get aired out for the insight that it provides into teams.

8.  Begiant says:

Drew Brees donated 1 million dollars to help rebuilding efforts for hurricane Sandy. Very classy move by Brees who knows how awful hurricanes can be because of all the time he spent helping New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina

If true that is certainly something on the plus side of the ledger for Mr. Brees.

•  Krow says:

Not to be too much of a grump … but as someone pointed out it’s his Dream Foundation making the donation … so while it’s still a very stand-up thing to do it’s not like it’s his money. St. Drew isn’t writing a personal check.

But again … credit where credit is due. It’s a damn decent and helpful gesture.

It’s these taunting tweets that are driving Wilson crazy !!!

‘Hey Dave … 24 carries for 138 yards last week against the Panthers. Caught a few balls too. How’s things up in New York.

Doug’

•  Levito says:

Or

“It’s a good feeling being a top 5 rusher in the league as an undrafted rookie. Right @dwilson22?”

- @Trey_Deuces (Alfred Morris)

Plax’s looking like a lock for the Steelers.

•  jfunk says:

Uh oh, the “bad influence” will be back around Big Ben again. Wonder what kind of shenanigans they’ll get into.

I hear they’re releasing a new album together next year. “Rhymin’, Rapin’, and Ratt-a-tat-tatin’”