Poor Eli Manning: NFL Regular Season Week 10

November 15th, 2012 at 10:30 AM

"Poor Eli Manning” is a compilation of quotes by both the media and fans about New York Giants quarterback and Super Bowl XLII & XLVI MVP Eli Manning.

Despite his success, negativity and doubt have followed Peyton’s younger brother since the moment he was traded from the San Diego Chargers to the New York Giants on draft day of 2004. Regardless of what he does or how well he performs – even in a league that lives and dies by the motto, “What have you done for me lately?” – he is questioned and criticized.

'Thread the Needle' photo (c) 2010, AJ  Guel - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

In Sunday's 31-13 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals, Manning completed 29 of his 46 passes (63%) for 215 yards, no touchdowns and two very bad interceptions. The reality is, Manning played poorly for the third consecutive game. In fact, he stunk. Again. There's really no other way to spin it, and as a result of his poor play, he once again has the attention of the National media as the debate of "is Eli Manning elite?" heats up.

Alas, it's not just Eli's recent body of work that has come under fire, but his career body of work that some are left defending. But because of who he is and the overall disdain many seem to unjustly have for him, his status and career numbers are being questioned.

Some of the week 10 criticism is warranted. No one can say he's played well. But per the usual, some people have taken it entirely too far. Accordingly, Poor Eli is a bit of a mixed bag this week – filled with some legit observations and some complete and total nonsense.

Phil Simms, CBS Sports

"He is not one of the elites. Because when I hear the word elite, I’m thinking about guys that can make unbelievable plays on the field by themselves. There are very few quarterbacks in that category."

Matthew Fairburn, SB Nation

"As much as everyone wants to talk about Eli Manning being clutch, he's been prone to turning the ball over throughout his career."

Mark Elliot, Gather Sports

"How long must Eli Manning continue to under-produce on the field before his elite status is downgraded to where it belongs: Average? Not to say it will never happen, but as of yet, teams are not named after their quarterbacks. The New York Giants, for the foreseeable future, will keep their present title. They're not the New York Mannings."

Dan Benton, Giants 101

"New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning is in a slump. He may not want to call it that, Tom Coughlin may not want to call it that, and his teammates may not want to call it that, but when it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and throws like a duck … it's a slump."

jibberator, Pro Football Talk (comment)

"Eli Manning is a sorry excuse for a player and is highly overrated. If he didn’t have VC on his team, he would be useless. VC is the only guy able to catch his garbage inaccurate throws."

Phil Joseph, Twitter

"Eli Manning has turned into Eli Sanchez."

Reid Ryan, Twitter

"Eli Manning = most overrated player in all of sports."

Austin Ebersole, Twitter

"If Eli Manning didn't look like he had Downs I might expect him to play a little better."

Tags: Eli Manning, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Phil Simms

20 Responses to “Poor Eli Manning: NFL Regular Season Week 10”

1.  TonyMW says:

Here we go…..

•  TonyMW says:

Eli is like your younger cousin,….you love him unconditionally, but he still makes you wanna punch him in the face.

-TonyMW

2.  demo3356 says:

Eli’s blown Donkey nuts the last 3 games
    Mike D

3.  TonyMW says:

“I knew Mario Manningham would come up big in the Super Bowl when he was still Mario Manningstillcompletelyalivepig”

-FF55, the most interesting poster on the internet

Huh? Not sure I see the humor there.

You have to do MUCH better. (And by the way, I absolutely WAS a supporter of Mario even when most thought he was a washout, and I have consistently stated that it was, and is, important to give Eli THREE very good targets).

And yeah, I actually AM a pretty interesting, or at the very least interested-in-an-awful-lot-of-things-that-go-way-beyond-sports guy.

•  TonyMW says:

I’m messin with ya man. I thoroughly enjoy your posts and actually look forward to them. I see you as the real life Dos Equis guy and was just playing on that, not necessarily trying to cement myself as a comedian.

On top of that, you sent me a Giants “All In” towel. For that, I’m forever indebted to you.

4.  BLU-82 says:

It’s disappointing to think he hasn’t completed a TD pass in 12 quarters of football- and not just because I start Eli/Cruz in fantasy. That is the kind of stat you chuckle at while skimming a Jets article.

I’ll remain optimistic. If there is any benefit to Bradshaw’s increasing fragility, it’s that we will see more of Brown and hopefully a more balanced offense.

The rest will also be a big deal for the whole team and lets Nicks get even healthier at a time when he looks like he’s rounding into form. That plus we get KP back and potentially Jacquian Williams/Rivers although I wouldn’t count on it.

And yeah, I have to assume our coaching staff aren’t a bunch of turkeys and they will get this thing right on both sides of the ball with some much needed self scouting.

Is Eli in a slump? Yes.

Is a quarterback very dependent upon what every other member of the offense, defense and special teams are doing on that day? YES.

Are the Giants’ running game, blocking, secondary, linebackers, special teams, and coaches in “slumps”? Hell yeah.

Are the Giants’ receivers playing anywhere from “adequately” (Hakeem Nicks given his health) to “inconsistently” (Victor Cruz) to “badly” (everyone else)? Absolutely.

They ALL need to get their act together. I think they will, but we’ll have to wait and see. They are certainly entitled, players and coaches, to the benefit of the doubt.

6.  giantsfan says:

It’s not all on Eli, but he has definitely been awful lately. I wonder if his the off-season activities, talk shows/SNL/etc… have attributed to his “lack of focus.”

I don’t expect this slump to continue. I just can’t see how an excellent QB can all of the suddenly play horrific. Hopefully, they’ll start incorporating Wilson in pass plays, put DD back in a jumbo TE role, and balance out the short and long passes.

Seems like in the Cincy game, they were adament in going with the short passes, though a lot of it could be based on the coverage. After a plethora of incomplete long passes, I think they overcompensated by stubbornly sticking with the short passes no matter what.

Defense-wise, I expect the coverage to be a lot better once Phillips return. A Do’H statement, yes. Hopefully, Canty can start playing at a high level and help out on the pass rush. Tackling will be focused on, and should improve.

Just some optimistic thoughts…

•  BLU-82 says:

One thing I’ve been wondering about is the departure of Mike Sullivan to TB. Eli broke out in a ridiculous fashion under his tutelage last season, and I wonder if it wasn’t the perfect marriage of great coaching with great talent to work with. I don’t want to utter “Eli has regressed”, which seems too harsh, but I do wonder about that connection.

Like I’ve said earlier, Eli is gonna be just fine, but that’s something that’s been on my mind.

•  TonyMW says:

While Freeman is having an excellent season, he also had a pretty good season his second year. If you don’t count his rookie season, he’s been good 2 out o 3 years. It remains to be seen if Sullivan is the difference there.

On the other hand, Eli had 1 good season and 1 bad season under Sullivan. One could argue that 2010 was the exception rather than the rule because he proceeded to have his best year as a pro in 2011. I chalk it up to Eli being Eli this season (hot and cold) and not necessarily the loss of Sullivan, although I DO think that Sullivan raised Manning’s “floor”, so to speak.

•  giantsfan says:

It’s possible, but I think he would help Eli more with his mechanics than his decisions. I think his mechanics are fine, but he has been making a bunch of bone-headed plays as of late. It might be possible that he’s used to the big plays and success and now back to the habit of forcing plays.

I think with a week to reflect, Eli will return back to his form and start playing more efficiently, taking what the defense gives him. But his guys need to start catching the balls too. Too many drops by Hakeem/Cruz/Bennett. The plays are already limited by the 3 and outs. One drop from each player is too many.

7.  kinsho says:

I just saw the article with the team evaluating Joseph Addai. WTF? Do we not have two other running backs on the roster jostling for more playing time? Is Bradshaw about to be IR’d or something?

8.  giantsfan says:

It’s tough to get the offense going when you run twice to gain 3 yards on first and second down, and then your WR drops the ball on third down…

9.  TonyMW says:

So my 4 yr old son randomly comes up to me and says “Daddy, I wanna be just like Eli Mannay”. In that single moment, without a shadow of a doubt, I knew that my job as a father has been a success thus far.

Nothing quite like passing on the love to a son. My son and I talk Giants football nearly every day. It’s wonderful.

10.  JimStoll says:

after 4 straight poor and worsening games I believe that eli and Giant offense are at their nadir and better performances on are the immediate horizon. in fact, now that Phil (who I love) has proclaimed Eli non-elite, I suspect eli will outperform Mr. Elite himself in the Giants’ next performance