November 14th, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Retired New York Giants quarterback Phil Simms created a firestorm on Monday when he said that current Big Blue signal caller Eli Manning is not one of the elite QBs in the NFL. It's a debate that has raged in recent years, but one many thought was put to bed when Manning led the Giants to their second Lombardi Trophy in five years, while also winning his second Super Bowl MVP. Apparently not, and Simms made it a point to defend himself on Wednesday, maintaining that he doesn't believe Peyton's younger brother is elite.

'Phil Simms is always with us' photo (c) 2010, Marianne O'Leary - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

“I can say with all honesty, as it was coming out of my mouth I went, ‘Oh boy, this will really create some controversy,’” Simms said on WFAN. “But I still said it. You know, I could have — like I’ve done — could have said ‘You know, let’s redo that,’ because at that time we were taping a little segment. But I do stand by how I meant it.”

Simms didn't initially classify who he thought the elites of the league were, but when pressed, he elaborated on the criteria and dropped a few names … including the man Eli has bested twice in the Super Bowl.

“When I think of elite, I think of great accomplishments with unusual, very good, incredible skills on the field,” said Simms. “I didn’t even think about who it would be, but when I was saying — you know, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, and I think Aaron Rodgers kind of fits in that mold. The rest we’ll see about.”

Great accomplishments? Check. Very good, incredible skills? Check (see pass to Mario Manningham in Super Bowl XLVI). Unusual? Sure, E-to-Tyree is far from the norm, so … check.

Manning appears to meet the standards set forth by Simms, but we're certainly not here to convince him. There are plenty of those who don't view Manning as elite and never will. He doesn't care. Nor should he. He's focused on the next game as he continues his quest for his third Lombardi Trophy. And perhaps his third Super Bowl MVP.

Get your copy of "Football's Greatest" by Sports Illustrated now!

Was Lawrence Taylor the greatest linebacker of all-time? Was Super Bowl XLII the greatest game ever played? Where does Bill Parcells rank as a head coach? And was Eli Manning to David Tyree the best play in NFL history?

All these questions, and more, are answered in "Football's Greatest." It's a tremendous book for any football fan, but particularly great for all Giants fans as Big Blue has a stranglehold on history.

Who's the greatest quarterback of all time, Joe Montana or Tom Brady? Who was the most dominate linebacker, Lawrence Taylor or Dick Butkus? Are the Packers or the Steelers the greatest franchise ever? Are the undefeated 1972 Dolphins really the best "team" in the history of the league?

In FOOTBALL'S GREATEST, Sports Illustrated's team of NFL experts names the Top 10 in more than 20 categories not just by position player, but also the best stadiums, rivalries, coaches and even trades. The rankings appear alongside SI's renowned reporting and over 200 stunning photos of the pro football's greatest players and heart-stopping plays. This is the best of the NFL's best, or more simply, FOOTBALL'S GREATEST.

This book comes HIGHLY recommended by all of us here at Giants 101, so purchase yours just in time for the holiday's!

Tags: Eli Manning, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Phil Simms

16 Responses to “Phil Simms Stands by His Word, Maintains That New York Giants QB Eli Manning is not Elite”

Phil … please … we love ya, but shut up.

2.  demo3356 says:

Krow is correct about the mini restructuring after this year. He and I have been suggesting this for a while. We have a bunch of young studs due to get paid and a bunch of high priced vets nearing the downside of their career. I can see any 4-5 out of Tuck, Osi, Diehl, Snee, Webster, Bradshaw, Bass, Canty, Boley or Rolle gone next year.. I think Rolle and Canty are more likely renegotiate candidates than cap casualties candidates but either way at least 4 of the above mentioned will be gone next year if not more
    Salaries for 2013
    Antrel Rolle $7,000,000
    Corey Webster $7,000,000
    Chris Snee $6,450,000
    Chris Canty $6,250,000
    Justin Tuck $4,500,000
    Michael Boley $4,250,000
    David Baas $4,250,000
    David Diehl $4,100,000
    Ahmad Bradshaw $3,750,000
    Looking at this list, its not hard to see where the money for Cruz, Nicks, Beatty, Phillips and JPP’s new deals will come from

I agree 4 sounds about right. Webster and Diehl are the 2 that jump out. Canty and Boley are players I previously thought could b on their way out but looking at the play at DT and LB I don’t think we can afford to lose either right now. I think Canty and Snee seem like renegotiate candidates. Bradshaw seems like another player that could be let go. Rolle I think would only be let got to keep KP. That’s tough choice between the two players considering Rolle is one of our leaders. But if I had to guess I say Diehl, Webster, Bradshaw are let go with Canty and Snee and maybe Rolle renegotiating.

•  demo3356 says:

Osi, Bradshaw and Diehl are no brainers. Webster, Rolle, Boley, Snee and Canty are restructure candidates.. Tuck better step it up or he could be gone this ff season or next. Either way at least 4 of the guys I mentioned will be gone next year

We say Bradshaw is a no brainer but I’m not sure TC/JR thinks that way. I think Boley might be left alone because he’s pretty much played up to that salary level. Tuck will be brought back next year his future is just in doubt. Losing Osi means we definitely keep Tuck.

3.  GeezUp says:

Last year, no question Easy E was the man. However, Eli is not elite right now! Elite QBs don’t have 4 BAD games in a row. ***See Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, and Peyton Manning***

4.  GeezUp says:

And what’s with all the forecasting about the off-season??? We 0-2 in November!!! Y’all sounding like Tiki Barber in here when u should be sounding like this guy…

•  demo3356 says:

settle down there sparky.. Several people have voiced concern over JR being able to retain all our young Talent that are coming up on FA in the next few years. Ts also a bye week where the topics typically fluctuate..

Our recent losses have clearly put Dallas back into play. But into talking to a redskin fan they feel like they have a shot too. If the beat Philly and Dallas the next two weeks and we lsoe to GB then they could be playing us for a shot at the division lead. I never though of Washington as a contender but them beating Philly and Dallas while we lose to GB isn’t crazy. We need to beat GB because then this division can really become crazy if we don’t.

•  Levito says:

I don’t see it happening for Washinton, mainly because I don’t see how they beat Dallas. Dallas’s defense is good enough to keep RG III in check. His receivers will have a tough time getting open. Defensively they’re just too terrible. Romo certainly has his moments where you wonder what he’s doing out there, but he’s good enough to eat up a bad defense like Washington.

The skins also have to play Dallas and Philly twice. And against Philly with a QB they have no game tape on. It’s certainly possible Philly wins this game. Plus, it seems about right that Philly fans would get their hopes up only to be crushed later in December. Washington also has to play Baltimore. I see them winning 3 more games, maybe 4, which puts them at 7-9.

I don’t see them winning the division either but them beating Dallas is definitely possible. Dallas is by far Washington’s biggest rival, they always play them well. They rarely have the better team but still beat them a fair amount of the time in recent years.

My point is that we don’t want to create a situation when at 6-5 we are going to play at the 5-6 redskins.

•  Krow says:

I understand the strategy … but if we’re going to be a force in the playoffs then I don’t want us sneaking in. Play teams at their best … beat them and kick down the door. Go hard or go home. (but in California you have to wear a condom)

In other news … we made Andy Dalton Offensive Player of the Week.