New York Giants’ Martellus Bennett Has Torn Knee Capsule, Bruised ACL & PCL

November 13th, 2012 at 9:06 AM

New York Giants tight end Martellus Bennett has been reluctant to divulge the full extent of his knee injury, which was suffered in week five against the Cleveland Browns. Over the last several weeks, he's merely described the pain as if a Panda were sitting on his thigh and chewing on his knee. He's also referred to it as "messed up shit." But on Monday, he finally spilled the beans, revealing that he had suffered a "torn knee capsule" as well as bruises to both his ACL and PCL.

For all of us non-doctors, a knee capsule, or Articular capsule of the knee joint, is " an envelope surrounding a synovial joint" which includes the patella, ligaments, menisci, and bursae. It can often be torn during awkward bending and twisting of the knee, which occurred during Bennett's hyperextension.

Needless to say, coupled with a bruised ACL and PCL, it sounds like an incredibly painful injury … especially if it's a complete tear and bone is now rubbing on bone.

Although Bennett has managed to play through the pain, his production has suffered. He hasn't looked 100% since week 5 (for what are now obvious reasons), and it's something that will linger for the rest of the season. However, a bye week certainly couldn't hurt.

And the Dallas Cowboys and their fans said this guy wasn't a hard-working team player…

Photo Credit: Mike Gannon

Tags: Football, Martellus Bennett, New York, New York Giants, NFL

67 Responses to “New York Giants’ Martellus Bennett Has Torn Knee Capsule, Bruised ACL & PCL”

1 2 3
  1.  rlhjr says:

I was sure he hurt it in the Browns game. It was just like the injury that ultametly ended Mark Bavaro’s playing career. At least at a high level.

The shame is the Giants Bavaro keep playing. Even after witnessing the severe hyperextention he suffered. And Bavaro would have to be shot to keep him out of the lineup. Plax I am pretty sure was not born yet.

I really hope Bennett is not permanetly impaired. But I knew he was hurt.
    And he should be shut down. Maybe Deihl can play tight end because he sure as hell can’t play either tackle position. Good bye running game. We never got to know you well.

2.  TonyMW says:

kinsho says:
    November 12, 2012 at 11:56 PM
    Levito/Tony

Dalton threw 4 TDs considering he was gifted two TDs off interceptions in the red zone. Stop twisting the facts to your advantage. Instead of resorting to weak arguments like ‘Do you watch the games?’, provide some real examples or some numbers to support your (BS) theory of the defensive line disappointing.

The both of you also conveniently ignore the fact that the defensive line has been responsible for more than its fair share of turnovers by the way it generates constant pressure.

kinsho says:
    November 13, 2012 at 12:00 AM
    Also, Levito, you make no sense. You claim the defense has been much worse than last season, yet you bring up a Cowboys game from LAST year to demonstrate how bad the defense has been THIS year. Do you see where you’re going wrong here?

I was talking about the second Cowboys game this year, by the way.

TonyMW says:
    November 13, 2012 at 1:16 AM
    Unfortunately hits and hurries aren’t really an official stat thus making them somewhat inaccessible. It isn’t until after the season that some of the advanced stat sites compile lists containing that information. We’ll have to wait to get official numbers.

For the time being, I can tell you that this year I am observing the same thing as I did last year. We’re getting the sacks, but we are NOT getting the pressure consistently. We literally hit Dalton 1 time. Anyway, to illustrate what I’m getting at, I found a list that was put together after last year and our seemingly “dominant” pass rush that racked up 48 sacks:

As you can see, sacks mean very little in terms of consistently pressuring opposing QB’s. Despite being at the top in terms of sacks, we’re very close to the bottom in terms of overall “pressure percentage”.

TonyMW says:
    November 13, 2012 at 1:18 AM
    I obviously don’t have concrete numbers to back this up, but I’ll trust my eyes and my instinct on this one.

•  TonyMW says:

I want to reiterate that I’m NOT saying last season has anything to do with this season (I know some on here like to point that out endlessly). I remember thinking that the pass rush was very hit or miss last season, and I ended up being proven right. I feel I’m seeing the same things thus far.

3.  TonyMW says:

Kevin Page says:
    November 12, 2012 at 3:57 PM
    I agree. D prior to the playoffs and last 2 games last year was schizo AT BEST. Sure they have come up lame this year on a few occasions, but they have dominated a few times already. Ill wait til it all plays out before making a final assessment though.

TonyMW says:
    November 12, 2012 at 4:34 PM
    The only time the defense has “dominated” was against the 49ers and the Panthers. The 49ers averaged over 5 ypc on the ground and it was a good thing that Alex Smith came to our rescue. We all know the 49ers passing game is abysmal and et’s just say the Panthers aren’t setting any records either.

I just don’t understand how you guys are just fine because “this has happened before”. This is not last season nor any other season. Except for the 2 seasons that we won the SB, this team WASN’T ok. This could easily be another of those years.

kinsho says:
    November 12, 2012 at 11:57 PM
    We don’t get our jimmies rustled the moment the Giants put up a real stinker of a performance.

•  TonyMW says:

My “jimmies” weren’t “rustled” until the 4th consecutive showing of poor play. Are you truly under the assumption that this the Bengals game was the first time they haven’t played well? Now I can understand why you’re “ok”….

Well … that’s sure the cherry on top.

5.  JimStoll says:

one off-season mis-step by JR was to head into the season with so little at TE — essentially relying entirely on Bennet both being a stud and healthy. He looked to ahve guessed right on the former attribute; of course the latter has bitten us hard.
    All we have now is Beckum and Pascoe. Unless Robinson suddenly emerges, that will be a big hole finishing out the season (I am assuming Bennet does not get markedly healthier or be more than he’s been since Cleveland)

6.  rlhjr says:

I am really sorry about Kuhn. I think the kid did really well considering his first year status. I hope he heals and is again part of the team next year. He was gathering valuable experience. The kids a worker.
    He’ll do well no matter what.

Meanwhile, our “supposed to be” stand out DT and third round choice has yet to make even a ripple. But because he’s Reese’s third rounder he has a four year lease on life……..no matter what.

7.  TonyMW says:

I took a second to get some info about the surgery- From what I gather (and I may be wrong) it seems that the tear won’t really get any better without the aid of arthroscopic surgery. So while he can certainly play (he has been, and I think he will continue to unless it’s damaged further), I wouldn’t expect to see the Bennett of the first 3 weeks ever again. I don’t think he’ll be resigned (may be wrong again) so this may be how we remember him unfortunately.

Well, we all knew Bennett wasn’t “right” after that Cleveland game. Now we know the full extent of the injury. Really too bad for this guy, and really too bad for us.

We’d better hope Travis Beckum is ready to play and that Gilbride figures out a way to make good use of him (if Kevin would like to call I can give him a few ideas that seem obvious but don’t seem to have been tried in four years), because our vaunted passing attack is suddenly springing leaks and our offense is sadly lacking in current weapons.

I do not have faith that any of the guys who will now enter the lineup as #3 wide receivers will make a big positive difference. Bennett is badly enough hurt that he’s not a downfield threat. Pascoe is Pascoe. Robinson is a rookie who undoubtedly isn’t ready. The coaches don’t want to use Wilson, and are reluctant to install Brown as a credible passing option instead of Bradshaw who is not.

No one will agree with me, but I think the best hope for the offense for the rest of this season is to get Nicks, Cruz and Beckum (assuming he is really healthy) going as the three primary receivers (they can get away with specific patterns for Randle for a game or two but then teams will catch on and he’ll be shut down if he cannot start to run variations on routes that are consistent with what Eli sees); get Bradshaw out of there and replace him with Brown as the primary back and Wilson getting about 35-40% of the snaps. The only other hope I see is Jernigan if he actually has something and has just been “hidden” because we had better receivers ahead of him while he was proving he could play in practices.

But my most certain conclusion is that the defense will have to carry far more of the load going forward than they have in years, and that the collapse of the special teams MUST be reversed even if it means having starters sprinkled into those teams. We will have to win those two legs of the stool going forward or we could be in trouble, because I do not think the offense can be wildly productive the rest of the season except against bottom-dwelling defenses. Fortunately, Green Bay’s defense is pretty lousy. Maybe we can get by against them with the offense we’ll put on the field. But that will probably not be a sustainable approach. The other parts of the team will have to step up, and the coachjes will have to be FAR more flexible and creative.

•  kujo says:

Yeah I agree with you. Beckum could do some damage as a #3 WR/TE hybrid.

•  TonyMW says:

I think a “move” TE is exactly what he is. He has no business being treated like a traditional TE. I still think he’d be productive with consistent time on the field and with some creative usage.

•  TonyMW says:

Defense carry more of the load? That’s scary. They’d probably have to get 5 turnovers a game to offset the offense.

9.  kujo says:

Anyone still question Bennett’s heart and desire to be a great player?

10.  rlhjr says:

Some of us should really stop putting the fortunes of the Giant defense on four guys. JPP, Tuck, Osi and Lenny Joe are supposed to control the Giants defensive fortunes no matter what? There should not be any more contributions from other elements of a defense? Get real folks.

No matter if Tuck and/or Osi stink up the field. Putting the entire defensive status on four guys is insane. The Giants have gotten away with it. But it does not lend its self to having and maintaining a solid consistent defense. And you can only take that type of strategy so far before EPIC FAIL.

Not spelling Tuck and Osi with the kids (Tracy/Ojomo) and keeping the vets fresh and teaching the youngsters is supremely stupid. I am not advocating replacing Tuck and Osi. I am begging for the Giants to let talented players fckn play and learn.

It takes 11 men folks. Those D line men are beat. Dead a$$ tired and beat down. They have no assistance from the players who are supposed to have their backs on running plays and short passes. GUESS WHO THEY ARE?

They also have Cory Webster doing his best impersonation of Elvis Patterson.
    Fewell and his asinine schemes plus the lack of line backing talent have conspired to turn this defense into quite the anemic bunch.

You can roll your eyes all you want, but tell me when the last time a linebacker not named Boley had so much as a sack on this team? HINT, not this year. When is the last time any of you witnessed an athletic run stuffing or pass coverage play from ANY Giant linebacker (again) not named Boley?
    Let’s face it troops, no matter who is playing SAM or MIKE in this defense, they don’t make plays. They are freaking lame.

That’s an awful lot of dead weight to carry around. Please don’t fill me in on how much of a stand up guy Kiwi is or how much Blackburn knows about the defense. Those guys are great people; neither is an NFL grade linebacker END OF STORY. Kiwi needs to gain 20 lbs and be placed back on the D-line.
    Blackburn need to be the linebackers coach.

Show me both those guys flowing to the ball and stuffing the running lanes.
    I know, you would if you could find any evidence of it. It’s sad people, very sad indeed. And some scoff when I even suggest the team should at least draft one talented player to hold that part of the field down?
    Are you kidding me?

This uneven performance by the beleaguered defense is a result of lack of balance between front four and back seven talent, nothing more nothing less. And now we covet three safeties? What is required is at the very least ONE REAL LINEBACKER TO ADD TO BOLEY. NOT A STIFF, A DYNAMIC FAST MEAN SOB. Prefrably a MIKE, but I’d be able to live with a SAM.

Then I guess Fewell’s limp wristed schemes would turn him into an “ousay”. But it would take time. He might even take down a few runners in the backfield on at the point of attack. Hell he might even defend a few underneath passes before Fewell got to him.

It is indeed a tribute to the very good defensive line that when Tuck was healthy could bear the weight of the world on its shoulders. But that was when #92 was playing. NOT ANY MORE. And for the record, Tuck will never be dominating again. His injury was that severe. Osi is getting better; he is only taking a ½ mile route to the QB vice his customary full mile approach. JPP is one man not four.

I won’t even start on the offense, but I will say there should be a young O-line player on the agenda this spring. Now everyone tell me it’s not going to happen. And I’ll say once again it really fckn should.

1 2 3