November 12th, 2012 at 10:30 AM
By Simon Garron-Caine

The Cincinnati Bengals absolutely destroyed a listless New York Giants team that was at its worst in almost every facet of the game: tripping over their own feet on offense with four turnovers, allowing more negative special teams plays and playing matador to Andy Dalton and A.J. Green.

'WR AJ Green' photo (c) 2012, Navin75 - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

The Bengals never really seemed challenged by a Giants team that was neither physical nor disciplined: blown defensive assignments gave the Bengals an early lead and an incredibly poor showing by the Giants offensive line made a comeback all but impossible.

There are so many ways to pull this game apart and see how truly awful the Giants were yesterday (and, to be sure, that'll all get done this week), but as we wake up this morning, heads pounding, the smell of bad decisions and poor coverage hanging in the dank air of our post football Sunday man caves, there is one bit of hope: at least the Giants have hit rock bottom.

They simply can't play any worse than they have.

The Giants will have two weeks off to take a look at why the offense has been so stagnant, why the defense has seemed uncoordinated, soft and lacking pressure, whether personnel adjustments need to be made (cough, cough Ahmad Bradshaw).

Time to look in the mirror and decide if they're going to open up another bottle and continue to wallow in this hole, or take a shower, drink some coffee and get back to work.

Seeing as they've hit rock bottom, we're hoping there's nowhere to go but up.

Tags: Ahmad Bradshaw, Cincinnati, Cincinnati Bengals, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL

41 Responses to “New York Giants Hit Rock Bottom, Have Blistering Monday Morning Hangover After Bengals Blowout”

1 2 3

Repost:

I followed my on posting rules. Never read a game thread. On bad losses wait several hours to post and on horrible loses wait to the following day.

Yesterday was horrible there’s no other way to put it. But I still see this situation is better than last year. I saw Nosh’s post about we knew we could pass the ball last year which is true but every other phase we were horrible at times. I think our defense this year has been much better. Still not good by any means but I see still enough signs show me we can still be a good unit.

While we are not playing well all the way around the key is Eli. Eli has to play better. We can’t be any good with Eli playing rookie season type ball. The WRs are not helping. The OL is not blocking as well but Eli is holding the ball too much.

This bye comes at an excellent time. I think the players need a week off. Having the division in so much control while playing poor football was a bad for our team. We need the pressure to play good football, I wish it wasn’t but that’s just the way we operate. With the Dallas win and their schedule we are now in a legit division race. All the teams Dallas has lost to have been over 500% and only Pitt on their remaining schedule is over 500%.

Every part of the team needs to be analyzed. But I think the easy fixes are Prince to #1 CB, Lockear in for Diehl and much less Bradshaw. KP’s return will help sure up the big plays.

The DL was inconsistent last year so I’m not as worried as some. The flashes I have seen from Tuck and Canty give me believe that them along with our young stars JPP and Joseph can still forma dominate group.

I’m glad we are facing a team like GB. We know they are good enough to embarrass us if we don’t step up our play big-time. This team does have a lot of provide and facing GB in a similar situation last year we played much better than we had played following a blowout loss. Win the GB game and things look much different. We would have stabilized the situation. If we don’t we could be tied with Dallas for first place with them controlling their own destiny.

This is how do though. We don’t make it easy. But no matter how frustrating it is a times, last year should prove to never lose faith in this squad.

Okay, I think I missed TWO threads so I’ll re-post too:

I cannot disagree with most of the criticism being leveled at the team here, but do want to point out a few things:

1) Hakeem Nicks played his butt off yesterday and looked as good as he has since the Tampa Bay game. It may not have been noticed in the ashes of that fire, but he looks like he could be headed toward a far better stretch of the season after the bye. That would be HUGE because despite the chorus of praise for Victor Cruz I have said repeatedly that while I love Cruz he will never be the #1 receiver around here as long as Nicks is on the roster. One is a terrific receiver. The other is a Hall of Fame receiver-in-the-making;

2) Those “really stupid, ‘why’d he throw that ball?” interceptions from Eli yesterday were one tipped ball and two throws made when the team was in desperate straits and taking a chance on making a play actually made sense because unless they scored on every possession they were losing the game anyway. That’s not to excuse Eli. He’s playing badly (not nearly as badly as some are quick to decide, but he is in a very poor place right now). But those decisions were not as idiotic as some think;

3) When things don’t go your way in a league that has reached parity you can look awfully bad after looking awfully good just weeks earlier. Think about just four plays yesterday. First, with the score just 7-0 and Weatherford having seemingly pinned the Bengals deep in their territory some idiot gunner runs OB to avoid a block (I wish I knew who it was….I’m guessing Tryon but I have no evidence at all) and the Giants have to re-kick. Then DeOssie, who is in good position, is VERY obviously blocked in the back and the Bengals get a huge punt return deep into Giants’ territory. No call, really bad break for the Giants. That’s one play. Then Hosley has good coverage on his receiver and Carrot Top delivers a PERFECT pass just beyond Hosley’s reach and the receiver makes a stretching one-handed grab (two GREAT plays by the Bengals on one play) and they get a TD. That’s two. Then the Giants are rallying, moving the ball downfield with a good mix of plays and starting to look like they could get the game to 14-10 and be right in it, and Bradshaw pulls his usual fight-for-an-extra-yard-and-use-my-hand-to-push-people-off-rather-than-protect-the-ball-with-two-hands-when-I’m-in-heavy-traffic and loses the ball. That’s three. And then Prince has absolutely perfect coverage, a strong pass is thrown just a fraction off (if thrown perfectly it’s a knock-down for Amukamara) into the end zone and because of the way it’s thrown there is literally about 4-inches of space that it can get into without his knocking it away and the receiver catching it if his concentration is perfect. That’s where it goes. TD. That’s four.

When you have one of those days in the NFL you lose. Doesn’t matter who you are or what your capabilities are.

Let’s see what we come back with after the bye before getting ready to bury the Giants.

1) Completely agree. I meant to mention that but I that’s extremely important.

2) I think Eli is playing badly but in comparison to last year. The TOs don’t bother me as much as just the missing throws and holding on to the ball. Eli hasn’t held on to the ball for long time. I understand the WRs aren’t getting open but then he has to throw the ball away. I’m not worried long term about Eli though. If Eli is not going to play better we won’t do anything so all this other talk is meaningless. But I have no reason to believe he won’t turn it around. Eli has a lot of pride.

3) That was a horrible Bradshaw fumble. The Bengals aren’t used to winning and even a FG makes it a one score game. It would have put some game pressure on them. I also agree that on 3 of their TDs we had very good coverage. I blame the pass rush because the QB had the pocket to make the “perfect” throw. That cover will work most of the time.

I will add look at ATL, SF and Chicago the 3 best teams in the conference. All look beatable. While we have our issues there is still no one great out there that we can’t beat when we do get it together. I understand the process is frustrating but we need to keep prospective.

3.  kinsho says:

Repost:

kinsho says:
    November 12, 2012 at 10:46 AM
    The Giants, despite having won two Super Bowls, are still mentally immature. We play a very hormonal style of football. We play down below our talent level and bemoan those who constantly underrate us and count us out, despite the fact that we give them the fodder to do so year after year. Once we reach a point where our backs are up against the corner (like against Dallas last year), that’s when we start breaking our funk and playing to our potential.

Playing consistently is more a mental talent than a physical talent. And yet, we can only play well on a continuous basis in the face of pressure. Even when we have our division by the balls, we still cannot find the mental fortitude to seal away a playoff spot, at least not until the end of the season (if at all). This has been the story now for the past couple years. And this is the reality we as fans will have to accept under the Tom Coughlin Giants.

Nothing I wrote above should make it sound as if I am sanguine about the team at this point. I’m not. But I’m willing to wait a few weeks to see how things look before concluding things will not end well.

I do NOT think that our history of coming back from adversity means all that much except to show the people in that locker room (a different group from in 2007 and 2011) a path. Does this group have the capability to do it? We’re going to see pretty soon.

I do NOT think it extremely likely that the coaching staff will do what we all think is so obviously necessary. I spent much of the latter part of the 2008 season ranting about what needed to be done, warning against a long-passing game plan against the Eagles in the playoffs in the wind, hoping that the staff would reach the same conclusions I had, and was sorely disappointed. I almost expect to see Diehl starting at left tackle against the Packers and Bradshaw handling most of the running back duties. I expect to see Corey Webster playing the Pack’s #1 receiver and doing so in a zoned, read-and-react, defense. I expect to see Fewell and Coughlin refuse to bring more pressure on Rodgers even though he has proven that the thing that works against him IS pressure and nothing else (he will pick our zone defense clean and leave the bones on the field after eating our hearts if we run this defense against him).

So yes, I am somewhat fatalistic about certain things. And no, I do NOT think two championships excuse the coaches having David Diehl back in the starting lineup despite what the entire rest of the free world can see are his almost uniform inadequacies.

But, no, I am not dumb enough to assume that in a week-to-week league this team cannot catch fire at the right time if they can only find a way into the playoffs thanks to what was a big lead in the division only a few days ago.

I agree about Diehl. I can even see soem validity in giving him the chance to return as a starter. But after 2 poor weeks I’m hoping the coaches can see that bring him back has not only provided poor play at RT but the whole seems to be affected.

Against many teams the #1 WR is not clear or really doesn’t make that much difference because the #2 is almost as good. The bengals were on of the few teams it killed us to have Webster at #1 CB but against many of these teams we play it doesn’t really matter because the #2 WRs are very good too.

Of course I meant RT, not left.

5.  wvchirodoc says:

Regarding Eli and his regression in elite play, I think he’s scared and has been that was since they put DD back into the lineup.I dont think Eli is getting enough time when he drops back to pass and its mainly bc of DD. He sucks. Plain and simple. How the coaches dont see it is beyond me. I really think he’s still getting drunk. . . right before the game.

•  demo3356 says:

Eli looked like crap for 10 quarters BEFORE Diehl was inserted back into starting lineup. Diehl is a problem no doubt but he is not THE problem with Eli.

6.  PittJim says:

Also want to mention BOTH John Mara & Jerry reese were on field in Cincy for stretches, build up, etc.

So….they SAW this meltdown firsthand.

7.  G-MenFan says:

There was a little girl
    BY HENRY WADSWORTH LONGFELLOW
    There was a little girl,
    Who had a little curl,
    Right in the middle of her forehead.
    When she was good,
    She was very good indeed,
    But when she was bad she was horrid.

What’s crazy is as horrible as our offense has been in the last 3-4 games we still rank 10th in total offense per game and 9th in scoring per game.

•  TuckThis says:

which goes to prove what most of us know….stats in football are far more meaningless than in baseball.

9.  BigBlueGiant says:

I’ll be more than happy if Jerrell Jernigan ever becomes half the player that Andrew Hawkins has become.

•  Krow says:

There’s one important difference … Hawkins gets to play.

•  demo3356 says:

LOL!! 8 million problems with this team and BBG is till babbling about our 6th WR.. I’m guessing JJ is selling videos of the bang fest he had with BBG’s girlfriend or something.. Cant think of any other way to explain the obsession..

10.  TonyMW says:

Repost:

I feel compelled to add to a subject that FF55 mentioned, the Giants losing in the trenches. He’s totally correct. In this instance, it’s all about pressure. “Sacks” are but a number that us fans use to get excited about.

Offense- It’s obvious that Locklear was clearly outperforming Diehl, but the problem is that Eli was still getting TONS of pressure. Locklear was at the bottom of the list in terms up allowing pressure. Snee is not the player we once had and Baas is being blown up more often than not. I can’t personally vouch for the left side because I honestly haven’t focused in on them, but let’s assume they are doing an admirable job. The point is, at least 3/5 of your o-line is allowing pressure on a consistent basis. After watching Eli the past few weeks, he seems to have NO trust in his protection and is developing “happy feet” yet again. The reason why the sack totals are low is because Eli tends to do a good job of getting the ball out before the pass rush gets home. You can argue that as an underlying factor to why his completion percentage is traditionally lower than “elite” QB’s (along w/ the penchant for throwing deep), as well as his sack totals being lower. Some QB’s get rid of it, some take the sack after a prolonged attempt to find someone open.

Eli is trying to force too much to make up for his lack of a clean pocket. This is not working out well. Also, while I think the offensive gameplan has been figured out, you could have Calvin Johnson and Fitzgerald back there and Eli would have a hard time getting them the ball.

Defense- You could use the same logic here. This aspect of the defense is VERY hit or miss. They either get the sack or get driven back 3 yds. There is NO consistent pressure, and I’ll take consistent pressure over a couple of sacks any Sunday. That’s what gets a QB rattled en route to making mistakes. The unfortunate part is that this problem goes beyond pressure. The DE’s have trouble holding contain, they seem to get engulfed on running plays that are run at them and the DT’s are overmatched and ineffective in my opinion.

Some of these issues can be fixed, some can’t. I’d say the majority of it is technique and “want to”, but make no mistake, outside of JPP and Linval (possibly a healthy Canty) this group is just not that great talent wise.

1 2 3