November 9th, 2012 at 4:00 PM
By Simon Garron-Caine

'060122-A-3715G-326' photo (c) 2006, Jim Greenhill - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ Carolina Panthers owner Jerry Richardson has tapped Ernie Accorsi, the former New York Giants general manager who hired Tom Coughlin and drafted Eli Manning, to find the Panthers a new GM in the wake of Marty Hurney's firing.

Giants Director of College Scouting Marc Ross will be a hot name given Accorsi's ties to the Giants and the fact that Ross' name was already on the radar: he interviewed for GM positions with the Seattle Seahawks, Chicago Bears and Oakland Raiders last year.

We'd be very surprised if Ross wasn't on top of the list Carolina hired Accorsi to write, and the Panthers job looks like a pretty good one in that they've already got a franchise QB in Cam Newton and will likely have a top-5ish pick in this year's draft. According to PFT, Richardson wants to emulate the Giants and Pittsburgh Steelers.

If the Giants want to keep Ross long-term, the Giants would likely have to promote him to GM and bump Jerry Reese up to Vice President of Football Operations or something like that. Pay raises and new business cards all around but not a lot actually changing.

Many felt the Giants were fortunate to keep Ross last year. This time around, they may not be so lucky.

Tags: Cam Newton, Carolina Panthers, Chicago Bears, Eli Manning, Ernie Accorsi, Football, Jerry Reese, Marc Ross, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Oakland Raiders, Pittsburgh Steelers, Seattle Seahawks, Tom Coughlin

17 Responses to “Former New York Giants General Manager Ernie Accorsi Helping Carolina Panthers Find New GM”

1.  TonyMW says:

kinsho says:
    November 9, 2012 at 3:32 PM
    Also, I want to go on record that that I love this site for the solid reporting on all major news concerning the Giants and especially for the fact that it has an amazing community of Giants fans sharing information and insight with one another on a daily basis.

But on the other hand, the servers blow. Hard. Why is it that from time to f***ing time I find it impossible to log in to my profile, let alone post comments without my browser complaining about ‘Connection timeout’ issues? No other major site has the same issue this site consistently has. What the ****?

Get better programmers to maintain the Sports Media 101 platform.

•  TonyMW says:

Such is life with a free site. I can assure you that Dan isn’t churning out tons of profit all while neglecting the site. I’d venture to bet almost all (if not all) of the revenue generated from advertisements goes back into the site somehow. I also wouldn’t be surprised if the site WASN’T at all self sustaining, and Dan spent money out of his own pocket to keep it running. Pay to read (I personally wouldn’t mind), and then we probably have the best of the best. Until then, we just have to deal with what we have. I’m sure Dan is doing the best that he can.

•  kinsho says:

I definitely do not blame Dan in the slightest for this. I blame the people that, from a software perspective, maintain the entire Sports Media 101 platform. Wait…don’t tell me Dan is the one maintaining the entire platform….?

Losing Ross would be bad news. We just have to hope that Reese and he have trained someone well from among the scouting group. I’m sure the Giants have excellent succession planning, but Marc Ross has a great eye for talent and Jerry Reese’s complete trust. I talked about Simon’s idea starting a few years ago, but I just don’t know if John Mara will want to do that. I hope he does because keeping continuity at the top of the organization when the talent is extremely high is probably the single most important part of the team’s success over the past seven years and would continue to be over the next seven.

•  TonyMW says:

Ross is very much an unheralded piece. I equate losing him to losing Reese while Ernie was still around.

3.  Nosh.0 says:

From Simmons:
    Giants (-3.5) BENGALS
    Meanwhile, here are the Giants running their “Nobody Believes in Us” playbook to perfection. So many people jumped on the G-Men’s bandwagon after their four-game winning streak (including their ****-kicking of San Francisco) that, naturally, Tom Coughlin forced Eli Manning to throw last Sunday’s home game against the Steelers.

Can you blame him? If the Giants don’t start throwing away victories right now, they’re going to win the NFC East by five games and coast into the playoffs as a no. 2-seed. Both Coughlin and Eli know they need to play in Round 1 as a no. 3-seed or a no. 4-seed — with people saying stuff like, “They’re only hosting a playoff game because their division sucked” and “Eli just isn’t the same guy anymore” — which is why Eli submitted the single worst fantasy performance in the history of mankind last week (5.25 points????????????) and the Giants are definitely losing two to three more times (remaining sked: bye week, Green Bay, at Washington, New Orleans, at Atlanta, at Baltimore, Philly) so they can slide comfortably into that no. 4-seed, then host the Packers in Round 1 as everyone discounts their chances, followed by that Round 2 trip to Atlanta that you know they’re dying to make. The Giants figured out the ebbs and flows of a five-month season better than any perennial contender in recent memory. It pisses me off.

This is so true. One, there is no need to have a dominant regular season anymore, in any sport. And 2. the Giants don’t understand the phrase “Dominant Regular season”. It’s not a phrase TC and Eli have ever really heard of.

There’s really no way to keep Marc Ross if he wants a GM job. The GM gets to call the shots, and on our team that’s Reese. End of story. People move up … move on … and you replace them.

The only way he stays is if he doesn’t get an offer … or if he’s really doing something he loves and doesn’t want to be a GM.

•  G-MenFan says:

Agreed. I believe it was you who was fretting about the possible loss of Ross a couple of weeks ago and that has proven to be prescient. Reese is still a baby, so there’s no way he’s handing the reigns over to anyone. Better to replace Marc Ross than make some forced awkward internal move that makes everybody happy but saddles us with too many chefs in the kitchen.

•  Krow says:

I and others have been expecting Ross to get opportunities elsewhere … opportunities we’re unable to match. But that’s the way it goes. Success breeds envy. The NFL copies winners. And after 2 Superbowls everyone hopes that by luring away someone from us that they’re able to capture a bit of that magic.

The plus side is that the scouting department is large. There’s talent there we don’t know about. And Reese himself came up through that route. So I believe they’ll transition smoothly.

5.  giantbuzz says:

The fact that we have kept Ross as long we have is the surprising thing. Guy should have had a GM job years ago.

•  G-MenFan says:

Maybe if he’d stop throwing bombs on 3rd-and-1 his friggin’ arm wouldn’t be so tired. Honestly, what the heck has happened to the deadly slants we used to run to pick up 8-yard chunks when needed, and the back-shoulder throw for 15? It’s bombs away in 2012 and I don’t understand this mentality this season. I know Eli can check out of the throw, but since I hate KG, I’ll just be a d**k and blame him. It’s easier for me that way.