November 8th, 2012 at 9:15 AM

With safety Kenny Phillips out on Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals, there is a strong chance the New York Giants will place Will Hill back on their 53-man roster so that he can be available to fill the void – not just on defense, but on special teams as well. And Hill, who missed the last four games after being suspended for the use of prescription drug Adderall, could not be more excited about his return.

"I ran here. I was here at six o’clock. Meetings didn’t start till eight," Hill said on Wednesday. "[There's] nothing like being amongst your teammates and your coaches."

Watching at home was especially hard on Hill as the Pittsburgh Steelers dominated the Giants on Special Teams this past Sunday, particularly in coverage where the rookie had excelled earlier this season. It's an area where he feels he can immediately contribute upon return.

"It’s hard to watch everything, but yeah, special teams, especially the part that I can contribute a lot at," he said. "And then the people that are always at my household are looking at me like, ‘You know you were supposed to be right there.’ So they’re beating me up while I’m beating myself up."

Coming back after a month off, Hill doesn't believe he's rusty, but rested. He had continued working out with former Atlanta Falcons defensive back Ray Buchanan, and doesn't expect any physical limitations.

"I felt as though this break actually gave my body a little something to rest and everybody out there today was like, ‘I’m jealous man. You got fresh legs.’ I’m running around everybody right now," he said.

In order to place Hill on the 53-man roster, the Giants will have to make a corresponding roster move by 4:00 PM EST on Saturday. If he is not activated by Monday afternoon, the roster exemption runs out and he would need to be released.

Tags: Cincinnati, Cincinnati Bengals, Football, Kenny Phillips, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Will Hill

20 Responses to “New York Giants’ Will Hill Thrilled to Be Back; Ready to Help on Defense and Special Teams”

1.  demo3356 says:

This is good news and timing is perfect. Give KP one more week off to get healthy or 2nd half run. Hill should solidify the Coverage teams as well. I’m thinking it best to shut Nicks down for Sunday as well. Give him 2 weeks to get right. I believe Nicks being out there has actually HURT our passing game the last 4 games, as it looked better when he was out than since his return. He has zero separation and zero ups right now. NYG stand zero chance with this second half schedule w/o a healthy Nicks.

2.  demo3356 says:

I’m thinking due to the emergence of Stevie Brown and the plethora of banged up guys up and down the roster that it is a no brainier for Sash to be the guy to go to make room for Hill

As I watched our cover teams get shredded last Sunday I turned to my son and said it would be VERY nice to have Will Hill out there because the lack of physicality was so obvious it was embarrassing.

You cannot have guys like Tryon, Barden and Sash giving half-efforts on those teams and get away with it against a good return team. All three of them played like trash out there.

They CANNOT cut Hill. He’s my guy. My early claim on him before many even knew who he was and expected him to be an early camp casualty is, IMO, easily an equal offset to my stupidity regarding Wilkenson.

•  rlhjr says:

I actually think Hill is more talented than Stevie Brown. And Brown aint chopped liver.

I don’t there is any question Hill is more talented. Hill’s questions have little to do with the football field.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Weren’t you extremely high on Sash as well?

No, I thought he had the potential to be a playmaker (and still do) because of his college resume and knew that the Giants’ coaches liked him, but I was never convinced he had the athleticism that a guy like Hill has. I think Sash can play in the NFL. But he may be our fifth best safety at this point. That’s a dangerous place to be on the depth chart, especially when you’re not playing very well at the time.

5.  PittJim says:

Taking son to Giants Cincy game.

Any other 101ers going…..?
    PJ

Demo

I agree mostly about Nicks. I fully agree that Nicks being out there not heathy when the defens was aware of this actual hurt our offense. But we can win games without Nicks or with him banged up. I think we need a healthy Nicks for the playoffs because I don’t think we can win a SB without a healthy Nicks.

I think Sash should be let go but I wonder if we rather have 4 safeties for the Bengals especially since Hill has missed 4 weeks. I could see a different move and Sash being cut when KP returns.

F55

I agree this is the right time to get a discount on Nicks. I think it will take some luck to keep both WRs and having the recent play by Nicks might work to our favor.

I can’t even see cutting Hill as an option. Maybe when the suspension first happened as a one strike type of punishment but after we stood by him I just can’t see it.

WR A.J. Green on #Giants: “I feel like they’ve got a lot of holes in their defense.”

I agree with KP sitting out this game but this is one team that the loss of KP might hurts more than other games. KP is one of the best deep safeties and not having him vs Green hurts.

I think I just had a mini panick attack when thinking about Webster on Green. We can’t let Green ruin this game. If we just keep Green under control I don’t think the Bengals have enough to beat us.

8.  TonyMW says:

Of course he’s thrilled, he’s Will “The Thrill” Hill.

9.  Begiant says:

Does anyone know how Canty played last week? I just thought of him and realized I did not notice him the whole game.

Redman (a third back who os a bit of a power back) looked like Jim Brown out there. How do you think the tackles played?

•  Begiant says:

Just making sure… I was expecting that to happen. Canty had not played much and when he did he played against poor offensive lines. I did not think he would be back to himself already. Bernard did not look good either in his return if I recall correctly.

And yeah, I think we had Redman in the backfield for a loss or no gain 80% of the time only for him to somehow come up with 4 yards…ugly loss