November 7th, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Despite the holiday season nearing, New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin wasn't very chipper as he took the podium for his weekly Wednesday press conference. Following a very disappointing 24-20 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers, he was in no real mood to dilly-dally. Instead, his focus was squarely on Sunday afternoon and the Cincinnati Bengals. However, and per the usual, something else dominated the focus of the weekly tea session.

'Tom Coughlin Watches Giants' photo (c) 2011, Rajiv Patel (Rajiv's View) - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

The pre-practice injury report was, of course, all the rage. It was especially popular this week because it included a season-high 11 players. They were, in no particular order: David Baas (ankle), Chase Blackburn (hamstring), Ahmad Bradshaw (foot), Andre Brown (shoulder), Chris Canty (groin), Hakeem Nicks (knee), Bear Pascoe (ankle), Kenny Phillips (knee), Keith Rivers (calf), Chris Snee (ankle) and Jacquian Williams (knee).

Of the players listed on the pre-practice injury report, Chris Snee, Ahmad Bradshaw, Hakeem Nicks and Kenny Phillips will not practice. Andre Brown will. The remaining players were not discussed, so whether or not they practice will be determined once the team hits the field.

For Nicks, his return to the injury report is especially bad news. Coughlin said his knee has swelled up again, so they will rest him. As for Phillips, the coach says he has not suffered a setback, but will be inactive on Sunday. The team plans to rest him through the bye week.

As far as Sunday's game itself, Coughlin can't stress enough how important it is to the team.

"Focus on this one game. You're a pro. You're expected to know what the circumstances are," Coughlin said. "This is a very, very important game for our football team."

Coughlin also said he has no concerns with quarterback Eli Manning.

"He will get this thing right," he said.

Finally, he was asked about Barack Obama being re-elected as the President of the United States of America.

"Oh boy, here we go," Coughlin laughed. "He's there and [now] we need to get there."

And now it's time for cookies.

Tags: Chris Snee, Cincinnati, Cincinnati Bengals, Eli Manning, Football, Hakeem Nicks, Kenny Phillips, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin

37 Responses to “New York Giants’ Kenny Phillips Out Sunday & More from an Afternoon Tea with Tom Coughlin”

I think it was BigBlue who said he heard Nicks had a tore meniscus. The longer this drags on the more I think his information is correct.

Having had one myself … this is exactly how it behaved. You’d be fine … play on it … no problems … then you’d get swelling the next day. My orthopedist said that if the swelling returned then it was a clear indication it needed fixing. Which is what we did.

The positive is that it’s a simply procedure … no lingering effects … and in about 3-4 weeks you’re back. The negative is that we’ve let this go way too long already.

If this is the situation then do it now before the bye week so that we have him back for the playoffs.

•  kinsho says:

Really bizarre that the Giants do not detail the extent of Hakeem’s injury here…

But it seems that whatever’s ailing him is going to drag down his performance for the entire season unless he gets it fixed. I agree that he should go and get it fixed before the bye.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

See my post below.

Oh so definitely no KP. Probably the smart move especially with Brown’s play. I guess it also means that if Hill returns this week Sash might not be first in line.

Nicks is a concern. It seems that if he’s having any issues with the bye approaching and still a 2 game lead in the loss column he needs to sit. This game is very important but not enough to risk our long term goals.

With the bye approaching I think any player in any question for the long term will probably sit. I’m wondering about guys like Bradshaw, Canty and our 3 LBs.

3.  TonyMW says:

I’m going to go ahead and assume that Nicks won’t play this week. I’m also going to have to assume that they put Leon Hall on Cruz (that’s what I’d do anyway). Outside of Hall, their CB’s are very mediocre (some Bengals fans are saying that Hall is playing bad also), and if the likes of Hixon/Barden/Randle can’t beat a 34 yr old Terence Newman and a 33 yr old Nate Clements then….well…they’re pretty much useless. I mean, they can’t look all that much worse on offense than they have the past few weeks. Can they?

4.  GIANTT says:

What bothers me is that- ok forget about serious injury they are definitely out – but if its marginal and its 50-50 play/dont play what do you do ? If the Giants win and they certainly should (ok ok, im sorry if anyone thinks I just jinxed them) and these guys play and get hurt more or dont improve then the Giants have missed the chance to rest them especially with the bye week coming up . If they dont play and the Giants LOSE (I dont expect it but hey – any given Sunday ) then the Giants will have missed a Golden opportunity in the NFC east .
    I think they should suit up and play it by ear – if they ARE needed then OK if it helps get the win , but if the Giants go up big then bring in the subs and let these guys rest on the side lines . At this point though I would definitely like Nicks to take time off and rest .

5.  kinsho says:

It seems to me that we have played far better this season (and even last) when the odds have been stacked against us to win, either through injury or matchups. The Giants team that we’ve been seeing over the past three games and in the season opener seems like one that’s too content with its current status/record. Only when this team plays with a sense of urgency and something to prove do we see this team at their absolute best.

Unfortunately, none of the NFC East teams won this weekend. While that’s good for us when it comes time for the playoffs, it also means that our players can look at the combined losses as a reason not to necessarily give it their all next Sunday against the Bengals. After all, Giants are still running away with the division.

Still, the Giants are definitely playing much better now than they were playing last year. Even if they come out next Sunday at only 70%, that still could be enough to beat the Bengals.

•  TonyMW says:

I don’t care what Nicks said, judging by my eyes he was NOT 90-95%. If he indeed was, then we have some serious issues. I think that Eli may have been forcing Nicks the ball (or at least what Dirt alluded to, the fact that Eli may decide where he’s going before the snap), when he’s clearly not himself. That’s an issue in itself.

By no means do I think that this game will be “easy”, but they are clearly not the Steeler, or even the Cowboys for that matter. They are also not a division rival. This SHOULD be the game that we need to get the offense going again heading into the bye.

If they play at 70% they will be badly beaten.

Yeah this is not college football. Maybe we can overcome a slow start like with TB or Clev but we definitely had to play hard in those games and well for stretches. Cin is a game we should win but isn’t a easy by any stretch.

•  TonyMW says:

Without a doubt. I’d venture to say that “70%” is worse than what we fielded Sunday. In that case, we’d get blown out. I personally was alluding to the fact that we should be able to improve on offense and win without Nicks.

•  kinsho says:

One can argue that we were playing at a worse level against Pittsburgh. And yet the Steelers only managed to beat us by 4 points.

Very few teams rarely play at 100% week to week. It’s impossible to have more than a handful of teams play at their fullest level on any given week, especially when you take in factors like team morale and in-game events (like a crippling injury to a key player mid-game or a team trying to maintain its composure and work ethic in the face of a blowout).

The Giants only managed to play at the 100% level twice this season: against the 49ers and the Browns.

6.  jfunk says:

“They were, in no particular order:”…

That’s a very particular order, but I won’t spoil the mystery… :-P

Hakeem is a tough one. If he needs a minor surgery with 3-4 weeks recovery and then he will be fine, I agree it’d be nice to do it and have him back for playoffs.

That being said, despite the bye I’m not sure now is the time. The argument could be made that GB, WAS, NO coming off the bye are the three “best” games to win. If resting him for the bye will get him through those three games, I’d rather he miss the three after that.

3-4 weeks isn’t an exact science. If Nicks really needs surgery needs to have in ASAP. Remember he still needs time to get back into sync. You can’t look at the schedule like that but if you were Cin, Was and NO would be the 3 easiest games to win without him.

•  F0XLIN says:

Agreed, I’ve had meniscus surgery and was running and skiing within 2 weeks

•  TonyMW says:

If the meniscus talk is indeed true- In hindsight, why the f not just have the surgery done early on? Why risk it lingering all season? All of the issues would be behind us by now, and we could look forward to a truly healthy Nicks after the bye. Now? Not so sure he’ll ever be healthy this season.

We do NOT know the real story with Nicks. We do NOT know the real story with Phillips. We do NOT know the real story with Rivers.

And we’re not going to know unless and until the team announces something. The Giants are as tight-lipped about injuries as any team in the league, as they should be.

We can see that Nicks is struggling and has no burst. Maybe that’s a meniscus tear, maybe not. We have no bloody idea whether what we’re hearing about Phillips is the truth.

But I’ll tell you what, in a league where EVERY win is big no matter which team it’s against you suit up players who are capable of contributing and damn the consequences. Absolutely healthy, well-rested, players get their knees blown out every week in the NFL. You don’t “save” players for later in the season. You win what’s in front of you and then worry about the next game after that. If you don’t practice tunnel vision and keep tightly focused on what’s immediately ahead of you it’s awfully tough to win in this week-to-week league. Obviously, the team has decided that Phillips is not right enough yet to be an upgrade over what they can put on the field without him. If they conclude the same thing regarding Nicks they’ll sit him, but I doubt they will conclude that and I suspect he’ll play and I’ll support that no matter what happens. Get the seventh win and then worry about the eighth. Later in the season? That’s later. Worry about it when it comes.

8.  wvchirodoc says:

a agree with not knowing the real story with nicks and phillips but with Rivers, while we dont know the specifics, its pretty clear this guy is made of glass. To bad, I think he could be a very good LBr, especially on this team.

9.  kinsho says:

Interesting article that lays a lot of the blame for the sucky offense at Eli’s feet

10.  BigBlueGiant says:

When I had reported that Nicks had a torn meniscus is was only because a good friend of mine who is a PA at the HSS was told that was his diagnosis, And that he indeed did not need it repaired. I was just informing my fellow Giant fans about the injury and what was reported to me by a really really reliable source.

That said, she still says that it is indeed his meniscus. And I 100% believe her.

No clue what’s up with KP though.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Also, I can only speculate as to why the giants didnt want to reveal Nick’s injury. Perhaps it’s only a partial tear? Perhaps it’s contractual? One can only guess.

•  Krow says:

Your info sure looks correct. Like I was saying, this is how a slight meniscus tear acts. Doctors say you can manage it if you don’t want surgery. But managing for a normal person isn’t the same as an elite athlete. He’s definitely not himself out there, and we need him to be if we’re going to make a splash in the playoffs.

If all this speculation is correct then they’d better get him scope’d sooner than later. We can make it to the dance without him … but we’re not coming home with the prom queen if he’s playing like last Sunday.