November 4th, 2012 at 10:23 AM
By Simon Garron-Caine

Pro Football Talk is reporting that Kenny Phillips will not play after all against the Pittsburgh Steelers later this afternoon, as the New York Giants safety will miss his fifth game with a sprained knee.

'Aaron Ross and Kenny Phillips' photo (c) 2010, Marianne O'Leary - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

PFT's report, citing a "league source" and the Giants.com Depth Chart that still shows Stevie Brown listed ahead of Phillips as the starter, comes as a bit of a surprise after Phillips said Thursday that he would play (he practiced in full on Wednesday, and was limited on Thursday and Friday).

We don't doubt the veracity of PFT's report, but it strikes us odd that this story is coming from PFT since the Giants almost always leak news to local reporters first. We're holding out hope Phillips will play, just not start, as the beginning of working back into his starting role.

Either way, we'll know for sure in a few hours when the team lists its inactives. The Giants are eager to have their three-safety look back, but it looks like Stevie might get one more week in the spotlight.

Tags: Football, Kenny Phillips, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Pittsburgh Steelers, Stevie Brown

8 Responses to “Report: Kenny Phillips Will not Play Against Pittsburgh Steelers for New York Giants”

1.  TonyMW says:

Under normal circumstances I’d be just fine w/ this (considering how Brown has played in his absence), but considering we’ll be down 3 linebackers, that 3 safety set would’ve helped tremendously. Let’s just say that I’m a bit more worried than I was around this time yesterday.

2.  kujo says:

We’ll see. I’d be fine with letting him wait one more week if they’re concerned about him being 100%.

3.  kujo says:

So, looking like Sean Payton’s contract with the Saints will be voided after this season. Somewhere in Dallas, Jerry Jones is sharpening his pick-ax and muttering the name of Jason Garrett.

•  demo3356 says:

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking when I read that article. He is ready to back up the Brinks Truck to Paytons place..

• Meh. I wonder how Sean Payton rebounds from this as a head coach?

Will the hammer from the league have taken down the alpha-dog, “I’m the leader” kind of thing that coaches need to have? Is he a humbled, cuckolded man who will forever look over his shoulder at the league instead of leading his players?

Probably not. But if he’s going to be the Cowboys coach I’d like to think so.

•  demo3356 says:

Not sure what your talking about.. Payton was suspended for what his renegade DC did underneath him. Payton is still hands down the greatest offensive mind in the NFL and a hell of a Coach. I shudder to think of what he could do with all that Talent in Dallas and Rob Ryan running that defense. Lets hope Loomis locks him up long term

•  rlhjr says:

And the “pop” you just heard was Drew Brees’s head exploding.