New York Giants’ Stevie Brown Named NFC Defensive Player of the Week

October 31st, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Safety Stevie Brown was a main reason the New York Giants were able to defeat the Dallas Cowboys 29-24 on Sunday, and his effort did not go unrewarded as the NFL named him NFC Defensive Player of the Week for week eight.

Brown accounted for three takeaways, including two interceptions and one fumble recovery. He also recorded eight tackles and defended two passes.

The journeyman safety now has 34 tackles, five interceptions, five passes defended and two fumble recoveries on the season. And four of those interceptions have come while replacing the injured Kenny Phillips, who hasn't played since spraining his MCL in week four against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Brown also increased his interception return yards total to 168, which is the highest total since Dick Lynch tied the club record (Emlen Tunnell) at 251 yards in 1963.

Photo Credit: Mike Gannon

Tags: Dallas, Dallas Cowboys, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Stevie Brown

39 Responses to “New York Giants’ Stevie Brown Named NFC Defensive Player of the Week”

1.  kujo says:

Victor Cruz’s much-anticipated long-term contract apparently is close to becoming a reality.

The Giants star receiver said in an interview on WFAN on Tuesday that his agent and the team have agreed on the “structure” of a new contract. Cruz didn’t go into any further details, but it could be a sign that a deal could be done very soon.

“From what I hear, they’ve just agreed on the structure right now,” Cruz said on WFAN. “And that’s all I’m at liberty to say.

“Hopefully this leads to the right track and we’ll get it done sooner than later… I’m happy so far, so I can just relax and play some football.”

The 25-year-old Cruz has been seeking a new deal since the end of last season, when he came out of nowhere to set a franchise record with 1,536 receiving yards. He had little leverage though since he won’t be an unrestricted free agent until March of 2014.

He’s scheduled to be a restricted free agent at the end of this season, and he would likely get a “first-round tender” from the Giants which would be worth at least $2.7 million.

Cruz, who is currently scheduled to make $540,000 this season, has said he wouldn’t holdout in an effort to get a new contract. However, in his WFAN spot, he wouldn’t rule out missing some workouts or practices in the offseason of a new deal isn’t struck by then.

“I want to just get it done now and like I said, not have it be a distraction in the offseason where I’m not showing up to minicamp and things like that,” Cruz said. “I don’t want that to become an issue. So I just want to get it done early, as early as possible, and just put it behind.”

Cruz, who has 53 catches for 650 yards and seven touchdowns through the first eight games of the season, also reiterated his oft-stated preference to stay with the Giants for the rest of his career.

“I just love it here,” Cruz said. “It’s home, the people have embraced me. I just love this place so much. I don’t want to go anywhere, I don’t want to play for any other organization at this point in my life. I want to be a New York Giant for a very long time.”

The reason that deal is going to get done with Cruz is simple.

On the Giants’ side, they absolutely need him (they need Nicks too, and any of you who have claimed otherwise will, I hope, admit to foolishness when both are tied up for years by Reese). The Eli/Nicks/Cruz combo is the entire key to the Giants’ offense for the next 4-8 years.

On Cruz’s side, the Giants can keep him for the next two years for about $11-13MM ($2.7MM in 2013 and the rest in 2014 with the franchise tag). Excellent money, but two years of risk of injury that results in his football earnings topping out at about $16-$17MM (assuming he could stick around as a #3 receiver for a few years a la Steve Smith or Dom Hixon). Reese can afford to give him a much richer long-term contract with a good deal of the money coming after 2014 when the cap will be going up thanks to the new TV contracts that kick in, and can guarantee him enough money that a guy who wants to stay here anyway (it’s home, the fans love him, and the endorsement and non-football income is going to be great) will be very happy to have his “downside” adequately protected and his upside look very attractive.

It was always going to be easier to get a deal done with Cruz than with Nicks. They’ll get that done too because you don’t let GREAT receivers walk away, but it will be a more contentious negotiation.

Look we disagree. It doesn’t mean my point is foolishness. There are such short memories but I remember a lot of the same talk about Steve Smith. I would like to keep both players but I think there’s $ cut off from keeping both that I expect JR won’t exceed. Maybe I’m wrong and we are able to keep both but that doesn’t change my point that losing one isn’t going to cripple the offense. It hurts and does affect the offense but Eli, KG and TC have shown they can adjust and still produce a very good offense.

If Cruz does sign and extension keeping Nicks will likely depend on how much Nicks really does want to be here. He’s not going to get as much as he could elsewhere. As much as we like Nicks and want him to stay look what happen with James Harden. Even the players that are not knuckle heads sometimes want to maximize their dollars. And as a NFL player it makes even more sense than a NBA player.

You’re absolutely right: we disagree.

If you really think losing Hakeem Nicks doesn’t hurt, a LOT, you’re nuts. You don’t just go out and find receivers like him. He’s one of the top 5-7 receivers in the NFL.

Some of you seem to quickly forget what a player is capable of when you haven’t just seen him healthy for a while.

And don’t even think about comparing him to Steve Smith. I was actually one of the few around here who said we could afford to lose him. Nicks is in another universe. Reese will find the money even if it means losing others he wants to keep.

My thoughts have little to do with Nicks as a player. They have to do with thinking JR will only want to invest so much in the WR position. In addition I believe any WR is replaceable, even losing the best WR only hurts you so much as compared to other positions.

Just for the record I don’t believe then or now that Smith was great. I think he was a lot more Wes Welker like in that his talents matched perfectly with a QB and system.

I think losing Nicks would be like losing Plax. Now I agree Nicks is better but with our other receivers and Eli being better I think their losses are comparable. If we are prepared to lose him I think the offense will manage his loss in a similar way to 2009. The 2009 offense wasn’t as good as 2008 but it was still very good.

•  TonyMW says:

I’m not aware of anyone saying that we didn’t “need” Nicks. I’ve stated that I’d love for both to retire Giants, but simply expressed concern in having the ability retain both. I surely hope I’m wrong.

As for Stevie Brown, very well-deserved.

The Giants have 16 interceptions this season. Perhaps Fewell knows what he’s doing after all?

4.  TonyMW says:

Here’s an article I found that was authored by a fellow Giants fan. I find it to be a very interesting take on our 2nd half “collapses” of the past few years…..

I’ve talked about this, AND the effect of injuries, for quite some time. If you took his charts and did an overlay of our accumulated injuries you would also see a dramatic effect on record.

We had one season where we limped to the finish with not a single decent linebacker on the field thanks to injuries.

We had one season where we picked people off the street to play safety in the second half of the schedule.

We had one season when we had 1 1/2 healthy receivers at any one time in the second half of the schedule.

Coughlin prepares for EVERY game, and prepares his team for every game, just as he always does. He has never been the cause of any swoon.

5. Well that’s one thing to check-off Jerry Reese’s to-do list. Getting this out of the way early (and hopefully not at top dollar) should leave enough time/wiggle room to get Nicks done pain-free later this season or in the offseason.

•  Krow says:

It’s still going to be a cap-slugfest, but definitely a step in the right direction. If this deal gets done then my ‘totally unofficial pulled from my a$$’ assessment that we’ll need +$15 mil to sign all our FAs drops to under +$10 … quite a do-able task.

6.  kujo says:

Ohm Youngmisuk ?@NotoriousOHM
    Martellus Bennett + his family spent the night with Kevin Boothe’s family since he had no power

I’d also like to take this time to point out that anyone who disagrees with me is an idiot. You know who you are.

Glad you said that (pretending it was tongue-in-cheek, but we all know the truth), not me.

I learned a long time ago that there are idiotic opinions expressed by many who are hardly idiots. That never bothers me. What DOES irk me is when folks who have consistent track records of being wrong seem just as certain they’re right the next time they opine on something.

[Caveat: the above statement does NOT apply to this thread, so please, no one take offense....I'm talking about the "Real" Bryan McCoys of this world, those who are so consistently wrong but never fess up and continue to act as if their opinions are a sound as a good man's word of honor]

8. Coughlin usually talks at 11. Not going on until 11:30. Could be and probably is nothing, especially since this week’s already been a bit screwy.

But in my time watching Coughlin press conferences, there’s usually a reason he is late. I wonder if there’s a transaction in the works right now…trade, IR, waiver claim, free agent signing, etc.

Trade deadline is only like 28 hours away…

Word is we traded Eli for Rivers. We also got San Diego’s first pick for every year until 2055. Then we traded their 2015 pick, 2018 pick and 2025 pick for Andrew Luck and had them throw in their cheerleaders, who we then traded to the Cowboys for 25% of their concessions revenues.

•  Chad Eldred says:

Maybe we are finally getting Vilma like we were supposed to.

•  Willy Wonka says:

I thought about this and I think Coughlin just had some bad curry last night and was dropping the Mr. and Mrs. Brown off for their porcelain cruise, and that is the reason for the 30 minute delay. Because looking up and down our roster and at the needs of other nfl teams there isn’t a single trade that makes sense.

9.  kujo says:

Looks like we might see some Adrian Robinson this week, with Pascoe out.

•  Chad Eldred says:

Well there goes a dropped pass or holding penalty we will have to get by without.

Pascoe is out? It’s ironic that there’s a lot of me that’s glad Pascoe and Blackburn are out because I would like to see Robinson and Herzlich play. I know sometimes these young guys disappoint but I rather see they are not ready with my owns eyes. Even though I fully understand TC, KG & PF all know way more than I do.

I looked at our last 3 seasons and we started 5-2, 6-2 and 6-2 as most of us know. What I found interesting is that all three years through 10 games we were 6-4. So to me it underscores how big these next two games can be in at least earning a split. 8-2 puts us in great position. But 7-3 still assures us of at least a one game lead in the division as our fellow division rivals begin to play each other.

It’s weird that everyone has played us in the division, including Dallas twice but there have been no matchups within the rest of the division. The good thing is everyone could just beat up on each other. But I think a possiblity is that one team emerges and sweeps their 4 games versus the other division opponets. Both Dallas and Philly after this week have favorable schedules as compared to what they are acapble of if the can start some momentum by winning this week. The next two weeks will either make Dallas a theat of bur them w @Atl and @Phil. Even with the problems in Philly and Dallas it’s hard for me to see Washington sweeping through those teams with their defense as teams start to form a blueprint for their offense.