New York Giants’ Victor Cruz Says In-Season Holdout Will “Never Happen”

October 25th, 2012 at 10:45 AM

New York Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz is earning a base salary of only $540,000 here in 2012, and he's been open about his desire to land a new contract before the end of the season. Whether or not that happens remains to be seen, but Ross Tucker of ESPN believes the young star should hold out, effective immediately, until General Manager Jerry Reese brings some big numbers to the table.

Victor Cruz should consider sitting out until he gets new deal. $285K for next 9 weeks not worth injury risk," he tweeted.

When asked about the suggestion to holdout mid-season, Cruz laughed at the notion. Does he want a new deal? Absolutely. But is it worth hurting the team over? No, says Cruz, who added that he's all about helping this team win championships.

“Never happening,” Cruz said. “If I’m gonna do that, I might as well do that in the beginning of the season, not wait when I’m doing so well and then hold out. I want to continue to help my team win. I want to win championships. I want to win football games. I’m not holding out just because I want to worry about a contract and the team’s going to panic if I hold out. That’s not me. I just want to continue to play football and be myself.”

Cruz is worth every penny that he's ultimately going to earn having proved he wasn't a flash in the pan, but he's right that engaging in contract discussions mid-season would be a distraction to the team. His pay day will certainly come, and he hasn't ruled out a possible holdout next season when he'll be a Restricted Free Agent (RFA), but that's not a likely scenario.

The Giants do have some tough decisions to make with a variety of upcoming free agents, but re-signing both Cruz and Hakeem Nicks are no brainiers. And Reese will undoubtedly find a way to keep both.

Photo Credit: Mike Gannon

Tags: Football, Hakeem Nicks, Jerry Reese, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Victor Cruz

40 Responses to “New York Giants’ Victor Cruz Says In-Season Holdout Will “Never Happen””

1.  kinsho says:

Great guy. Pay the damn man already, I say.

2.  kujo says:

“If I’m gonna do that, I might as well do that in the beginning of the season, not wait…”

I can’t have been the only person who shuddered at that sentence…

3.  kujo says:

“I just heard he was not even in the top 30 of paid players on the Giants,” Shockey said. “And this guy, since he has come into the league, he has been phenomenal. And Victor, I don’t know if I should get up and do a dance for you here or what, but ‘Show me the money! Show me the money Victor!’ You’re going to get it. … I think the Giants should pay him now because if he keeps making plays, it’s going to be double. It’s just going to cost them double.” – Jeremy Shockey

4.  The Original G Man says:

The Original G Man says:
    October 25, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Have the Giants ever lost out on one of their own FAs who they really wanted to resign during the Reese regime? I’m sure there’s an example out there, but I can’t think of any.

Cofield, Ross, Jacobs, … they were all deemed expendable to some degree as we had already drafted younger, better replacements (Linval, Prince, Wilson).

TonyMW says:
    October 25, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Using that logic, couldn’t one make an argument that one of the WR’s is expendable because we drafted Randle?
    TonyMW says:
    October 25, 2012 at 11:00 AM

To clarify…not saying Randle is better, but did we draft a WR in the 2nd to have him be a #3 for his whole Giants career?

~~~~~~~

No. They don’t know yet if Randle would be a competent replacement. With Ross, Cofield, and Jacobs they knew (or strongly suspected) they had better talent right on the roster to replace them with.

In any event, my larger point (actually it’s a question) is … have the NYG ever lost a FA who they really, really wanted to re-sign on JR’s watch?

•  kujo says:

They made a pretty hefty offer to Cofield, and also to Boss.

•  The Original G Man says:

Ah, Boss! There we go. Thanks!

As for Cofield, even though they would have preferred if he stayed, I still think they felt he was replaceable.

•  demo3356 says:

Boss was a mediocre TE at best. Eli elevated him to even that. Nicks and Cruz are both game changers

•  demo3356 says:

Yeah, Coefiled and Ross arent even in the same universe of importance to the giants that Nicks and Cruz are. In today’s NFL you need as many weapons in the passing game as possible. You can find DT’s and corners easier than a game changing super star WR.

•  TonyMW says:

Also, there is no way they “knew” that Linval, Prince or Wilson were better than their counterparts that they were replacing. What they did is trust in their scouting and player evaluation and felt comfortable replacing them if necessary. As Kujo stated, we tried our best to keep Cofield, but they felt that money differential wasn’t worth the expected production differential between Cofield and Linval. In my opinion, you don’t make a guy an offer if you KNOW his replacement is already on the roster.

•  kujo says:

But Reese “knew” about Ballard last year! Surely he “knew” that his two 1st round picks and 2nd round pick would develop properly.

•  The Original G Man says:

For the sake of argument though, I do think that if Randle blossoms and shows he can be a game-changing WR, then I think that would indeed impact the team’s evaluation in terms of retaining Nicks and/or Cruz.

That having been said, I fully expect both of them to get re-signed.

•  kujo says:

Sure, if the 2nd round pick out of a school that plays the nation’s only Prevent Offense, and who can barely keep his narcolepsy at bay long enough to finish a game, blossoms into a playmaker like Cruz or a HOF type in Nicks, we might be able to forgo one of our top 2. But it ain’t gonna happen. He’s gonna be a very good receiver, and perfect for what we want out of our #3. But he ain’t as good on his best day as either Cruz or Nicks.

•  TonyMW says:

It’s gonna be tough. $50 million for Cruz and 50 million football caps for Nicks is surely gonna break the bank.

•  kinsho says:

Reuben ‘Mario Manningham’ Randle will definitely play for a #3 position, but he’s probably not going to match the type of production we get from Cruz or Nicks.

5.  TonyMW says:

I just wanna go on record and say that I predicted this a couple of threads ago.

Finally!!! Our Player Maximo gives the old middle finger to the very justly-deserving Twin Morons. I refer, of course, to Complexico Burress and Jeremy Why-Didn’t-They-Shock-Me-at-the-Clinic-When-I-Needed-It?

How long will Eli Manning last ?

A franchise QB is a luxury. Teams routinely trade away picks for just the chance to draft one. They pay a fortune in free agency to sign one. Nothing propels your club into the upper reaches of the NFL like a true top-tier QB. Pick one. Brady, or Rogers, or Brees, or Peyton … or Eli … just to name a few. Their teams are not serious contenders without them.

So it’s only natural to ask the question … how long can we expect Eli to be lighting up the opposition ?

Kurt Warner, John Elway, and Joe Montana all played for 15 years. Peyton looks like he’ll match or exceed that.

Conclusion … Eli plays 6-8 more years after this one.

•  giantsfan says:

I do not like Big Ben as a person. He’s a horrible human-being. But it’s weird that he’s fallen off the map for upper echelon QBs in the media’s eyes, as well as football fans.

Granted that they’re not doing that well anyways. But if it’s not really for him, the Steelers would be a huge mess. They are at least contending.

He definitely didn’t help win his first ring, but, as much as the cards defense sucked, he still earned his second one. He deserves a lil more respect than what he’s getting. How odd.

And is anyone surprised that the old drug addict Shockey would do anything he could to hurt the team? Not me. What an ungrateful dirtbag.

F55 –

My point isn’t that Nicks and Cruz aren’t special. I think there’s just a capped on the value of keeping both. Of course, we should try extremely hard to keep both and maybe there’s a way with bonuses or guarantees that reduces the yearly amount we have tied up in them to make that happen. But there is a point financially where it doesn’t make sense to try to keep both with the thought “regardless of what it costs”. I just threw out some numbers but I don’t know what JR has in mind or is economically feasible. But I do think seeing how JR has dealt with Smith and MM that there will be a figure he won’t exceed. I’m guessing that one of the 2 WRs will exceed this number, maybe both. JR will make sure he keeps one but 2 WRs so young just a year away from unrestricted free agency with so much talent is just hard to keep when you value the whole 53 man roster.

I think this is the best offense we ever had. But our offenses the last 5 years have been very good and top 10 annually. Nicks and Cruz no doubt provide advantages that their presence affects both the running and passing game. Still that doesn’t mean their value is keep at any cost. That’s the portion I disagree with you and some others. Because I think the cost could be very high at a position that to me is not the same value as others. If Cruz and Nicks were special talents at DE or CB I think it would be more worth it. I just see the effect on the overall football as less from 2 WRs even if they both are special and HOF caliber.

We have rarely paid one WR top dollar under JR’s watch and now we go to paying 2 WRs big money? It just doesn’t seem like a JR move. And I know we always keep our young core players. But the issue in the next few years is JR has drafted so well that we have many of these young core type players to keep. This means we will likely lose some and keeping the ones we do will be expensive.

9.  rlhjr says:

Theories confirmed.

I felt Plax was “slightly” more sincere than Shockey, at least on the surface. Pretty sure all WR’s/skill players campaign to have the ball fed to them. After all, it’s how they get paid.

Eli was young and caught in the NFL game for the first time. The “Orangutan” AKA Shockey made his feelings known with on-field protests anytime his running of a bad route, dropping a ball, or Eli throwing a bad pass resulted in an incompletion. I never saw any worse example of a receiver throwing his QB under the bus except maybe TO/McNabb.

The “Shootist” AKA Plaxico, made his perceived lack of targeting be known by sulking on alternate plays and (until called out by Coughlin) by not blocking down field on completed passes and running plays.

Both men were talented but deplorable team mates, if the word team can be used in the same breath when speaking of either. I do think Plax came around. Unfortunately far too late to overt his shooting himself and the Giants chance at a repeat following the 07 season.

•  kinsho says:

I just call Plaxico the shot receiver. It’d be halfway funny if he actually played in the slot. But sadly, it’s just a cr@ppy nickname for the time being.