September 28th, 2012 at 10:15 AM

The New York Giants and Atlanta Falcons don't meet until week 15 of this season, but when the time does come, Big Blue wide receiver Victor Cruz will have a little extra motivation thanks in large part to some bulletin board material provided by his counterpart, Roddy White.

In an upcoming interview slated to air on NFL Network, the Falcons wide receiver was asked who the best duo was in the NFL. Naturally, he chose himself and teammate Julio Jones. But that wasn't the slight on Cruz; instead, White decided to take it a step further.

"Victor Cruz is much more of a slot receiver," White said. "The big boys play on the outside."

This wasn't the first time White has taken aim at Cruz. Just prior to a 24-2 playoff loss to the Giants, White insinuated that Cruz had had it easy because the league wasn't familiar with him yet. He said he expected the youngster to have a much more difficult time here in 2012.

"Next year, he may be in for a rude awakening," White said in January.

Coming into week four of this season, Cruz was 6th in the league with 279 yards. He is also one of only three wide receiver in the NFL with a play of 80 yards or more. Roddy White is not one of the other two. So … yeah, there's that. But perhaps the league is still just catching up?

For comparison sake, White has 27 receptions for 244 yards and a touchdown. Cruz has 36 for 279 yards and a touchdown.

Tags: Atlanta, Atlanta Falcons, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Roddy White, Victor Cruz

30 Responses to “Atlanta Falcons’ Roddy White on New York Giants’ Victor Cruz: “Big Boys Play on the Outside””

1.  The Original G Man says:

In a land where stupidity were a valued trait, Roddy White would be King.

Talk is Cheap, Play the Game.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

I mean, Really?

Roddy White is one of the best WR’s in the NFL.

I actually don’t think that the quote was insulting to Cruz in the least. White actually happens to be right here, IMO.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

I’m not sure I’d have White in my to 5. Maybe my top 10, right below Cruz. Nicks would also be ahead of him.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Megatron
          AJ Green
          Fitzgerald
          Andre Johnson
          Steve Smith
          Hakeem Nicks
          Roddy White.

Those are my top WR’s. After Mega, AJG, And AJ it’s a matter of what you prefer.

Look I think White has a very valid argument that his duo is the best. But to argue Cruz is just a slot WR is stupid. Where does he line up on first down? Any ways he just seems to lack respect of Cruz. While how he’s done it is distasteful, it’s fair to wonder if Cruz can do it again. I think most of us have seen enough through the preseason and first 3 games that we are not worried. Cruz likely won’t put up the same numbers but they will still be very good. Plus he’s only played one game with a healthy Nicks.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

White and Jones is a good duo, but they aren’t better than Nicks/Cruz. Just not. And I know some will think that’s homerism, but I just can’t see any better duo in the NFL than a healthy Nicks and Cruz. They are, very legitimately, unstoppable together.

I think it’s a good debate. I see them as very close to unstopable as well. I’m still shocked we shut them down in the playoffs last year. White is a legit upper tier #1 WR on another team but still I think the 4th best WRs in this quartet. I think Jones is like a young Andre Johnson which makes their duo very serious to defend. I think our duo is a better mix of complimenting each other but they also play with the better QB.

4.  norm says:

Uhhhh, Roddy… get back to me after you and your offense are actually able to score more points than Victor Cruz and his offense in a Wild Card playoff game.

5.  jfunk says:

“Big Boys Play on the Outside”

I love Cruz, but I agree with this statement.

I’ve said the same thing using much less succinct wording when attempting to describe what I believe is a “true #1″ WR and what they do for your offense.

I also thinking having a “Big Boy” on the outside and a Cruz/Welker class slot receiver is a better combination than having two stud outside receivers.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

This doesn’t really make any sense to me. Cruz played most of last season on the outside … and did a damn good job. This season he’s been moved to the slot. And again, he’s doing a damn good job. He’s been the #1 guy, the #2 guy and the #3 guys. Played X, Y and Z. Succeeded at each. If it’s merely a size thing, then fine, but that is not what White was insinuating with his comment.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Same here.

I agree when you are talking about Wes welker but Cruz has shown the ability to play the outside. It’s more that he’s great in the slot and have others that can play on the outside.

Welker is a pure slot WR, that’s completely different than Cruz. Cruz is more like a Tory Holt who did both at a high level.

6.  kinsho says:

Anyway, this article is a bit misleading. The interviewer goaded them into talking about other wide receiver duos. Roddy White didn’t necessarily jump to taking a cheap shot at Cruz all by himself.

•  Levito says:

still, he said exactly what was quoted. He said Cruz was a slot receiver, with a condescending connotation, and said big boys play on the outside. Last I checked Wes Welker was also a slot receiver, and generally considered one of the best overall WRs in the league. I believe Welker has led the league in receptions 4 times in his career, not too shabby.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

99% of comments are a result of a question. That doesn’t make it misleading. White was quoted exactly as he said it.

Misleading would have been: “Roddy White takes another unprovoked shot at Victor Cruz; Starts War of Words”

Now THAT would be misleading.

7.  Levito says:

Last I checked, big boys also don’t disappear during playoff games. I guess Roddy White isn’t a big boy.

8.  kujo says:

Guess Wes Welker wouldn’t be considered a “big boy” in Roddy White’s world.

No he’s not. And I agree with that sentiment. Basically Welker is nowhere near the same WR on the outside. Cruz while great in the slot is also very good on the outside. Big difference IMO.

There’s a reason why a WR with Welker’s numbers was never signed to a really big long term contract. He’s a limited player who can do one thing great. But is really great at that one thing.

9.  BigBlueGiant says:

This statement is taken WAY out of context.

I agree with Roddy White here. He’s not insulting Cruz in the least bit.

Wanna talk insulting, White actually LAUGHED when the the interviwer compared them to Dez Bryant and Miles Austin. Now that’s insulting.

That said, White is one of the BEST WR’s in the NFL. Jones will be too some day soon. I don’t think Jones is there just yet, but he’s well on his way.

That said, Give me Nicks and Cruz over these two any sunday.

I wish it was easy to figure Sunday’s game but it’s certainly not.

It’s unlikely that the Eagles will continue to turn the ball over an average of four times per game (and a reasonable number were in the Red Zone…turn those into scores and they’re looking a lot better). But their offensive line isn’t going to get a lot better overnight (they probably WILL improve as the season progresses, but it’s still early). They will undoubtedly try to use McCoy a lot more than they have, both running the ball and catching it out of the backfield. They have vastly improved their run defense. They don’t have Eli’s nemesis Samuel (who seemed able to read his mind) any longer.

The Giants are still banged up (of course, injuries killed the Eagles’ O-line so we cannot complain) and may be missing some really key components who would make beating the Eagles a much more likely thing. Add Canty, Rivers (especially if that allowed he or Boley to move over to the MIKE position a majority of the time, in addition to adding a lot of speed), Rolle and Hosley to the team that takes the field Sunday makes an enormous difference against a speed offense and a short quarterback who will be looking to exploit Blackburn. I think we all really have to hope that Rolle and Hosley can play.

Anyway, I can’t “call” this game. I think the Giants should win, but their defensive front seven have to have a very good game, as good as they played against the Panthers. If they do, they win. If they are neutralized I think it’s anyone’s game. And I see a lot of commentary about how lousy Vick is. I have to demur. He’s inconsistent, but still a phenomenal athlete who can win a game just based on his being “hot” on a given day. If he gains confidence early, and allows himself to “settle” for giving up plays if his receivers don’t get open quickly, he can be very dangerous. And I assume Reid is banging him over the head saying “Michael, if no one is open throw the ball away and don’t allow these guys to pummel you because you held the ball too long, and if you do run, slide feet first and don’t try to maximize plays. Just take steady possessions and wait for those big plays to open up.” If Vick listens, he can be very dangerous.

And one more thing. We got Winters as the referee. That is a VERY bad thing. For at least a decade I have watched this guy and his crew make bad call after bad call that certainly seem to go largely against the Giants. Remember the playoff game against the 49ers? And I seem to remember that as recently as last season he was the Referee who stole the regular season game against the Packers from us when they wouldn’t accept the very clear proof that Ballard has scored a touchdown. I’d happily have had the replacement officials stick around for at least one more week. As bad as they were, I don’t think they favored our opponents (except to allow everyone to hold our pass rushers, which Winters has a history of doing too).