September 8th, 2012 at 9:38 AM

By now, you know the story of former LSU safety and star athlete Chad Jones. Taken in the third-round of the 2010 NFL Draft by the New York Giants, Jones was considered by many to the future at that position for Big Blue. Unfortunately, life had other plans as Jones was involved in a single-car accident on June 25th, 2010 that nearly cost him his life.

The Giants stuck with Jones throughout his incredible and almost mind-blowing rehab and recovery, but after failing a team physical in May of this year, he was waived. However, his drive and desire to play professional football continues, and in a short documentary produced by Union HZ, viewers can get a first-hand look at just how far he's come and how much he's had to overcome. We must warn you however, some of the footage in this video is extremely graphic and not suitable for all viewers.

Having never seen the images of Jones' leg before, it's baffling to think he was even able to keep it, let alone return to run a sub-4.90 40-yard dash. More importantly, it's amazing he was able to survive after what was undoubtedly tremendous blood loss. To think he even stands a chance of returning to the football field is a miracle in and of itself.

We at Giants 101 continue to wish him the very best of luck in his recovery, and continue to have faith that he'll get his opportunity to play in the NFL at some point – even if it's just one snap.

Always A Fire was co-directed by Jeremiah Zagar, whose previous feature-length documentary In A Dream aired on HBO and was nominated for two Emmy's, and Nathan Caswell, a commercial director best known for his work with Under Armour.

Tags: Chad Jones, Football, LSU, New York, New York Giants, NFL

14 Responses to “Former New York Giants Safety Chad Jones Focus of New Documentary “Always a Fire””

1.  Jen Polashock says:

Anyone else still want this kid in GIANTS BLUE?!

Boy, if you don’t admire the resilience of this kid there’s something wrong with you. In my book he’s a winner whether he ever steps on a football field again or not. He suffered an incredibly bad break when his car caught those railroad tracks and went out of control, but in the long run I’ll bet he went from being an “entitled” star athlete to a young man who knows in the most direct way that no day is promised to any of us and it can all be taken away in a moment. I think that made him grow up, and I suspect he will be far better off for it as his life evolves. I know I’d hire him in a flash because anyone that determined and dedicated, and who would now be thankful for a chance to fulfill his potential, will have a great chance at succeeding in any endeavor he undertakes.

This is a great story, and it’s only in its early chapters. Best of luck to him. And here’s to hoping that John Mara finds a way to get him that one snap as a member of the New York Giants. If the Tisches and Mara found it in their hearts to try to help Plaxico Burress when he had undermined the team in 2008, then surely they should figure out how to help a kid who deserves that help without qualification.

3.  Jen Polashock says:

Amen, ff55. Amen.

4.  James Stoll says:

Wow. Inspirational. The one thing you can say for the Giants organization. They stuck with him while he rehabbed. Helped to allow him to persevere. It would be terrific to see him on the roster next preseason.

5.  Melissa Low says:

This kid has so much talent. He’s a beast. His determination is unbelievable. The support that the Giants organization has given this kid simply amazes me, although it shouldn’t. I would love to see Chad on the field again someday, in Giants blue would be excellent. When he was in his accident, I just wanted him to be okay, to be able to look into his Mothers eyes again. With each passing day he became stronger and more determined. My hopes went from him being able to look into his Mothers eyes to him getting stronger, to taking steps, to jog, to run, etc. And he has come back to do those things he once did. This young man is gifted and so full of talent and knowing Chad’s outlook and determination, he is working harder than ever to get signed again. I believe we will see him in action again, and I am keeping my fingers crossed that he will be in Giants blue.

6.  norm says:

I know I’m a thread late – but Happy B’day, G101!

In honor of this auspicious occasion, I went back into the archives and dredged up the following G101 birthday post I made two years earlier:

norm says:
    September 7, 2010 at 2:01 PM
    My G101 “origin story.”

Believe it or not, I started out here as a longtime lurker.

I first stumbled across this place during the ’07 playoff run. At that time, I was starved for any Giants news and analysis that went beyond the usual ESPN/beat writer cliches and the usual “We gonna get our a’ss stomped/We gonna be stompin some a’ss” gabble that represents 95% of the content on most Internet fan sites.

I’m not sure whether I first arrived here just before or after the Wild Card game against Tampa. What I do recall was discovering an overall level of knowledge and analysis that far exceeded anything I’d seen anywhere else.

So I started logging on regularly to read what the writers and commenters had to say (as well as to follow the epic feud between Frank and ff55 that was raging at that time) I got so much out of reading the posts that I never felt the need to post anything of my own. For starters, I am of an age where the idea of anonymously commenting on a blog struck me as a rather silly use of one’s time. I had never done it before and saw no reason to start then – particularly not on a blog where the diversity and inteligence of much of the commentary seemed to leave little room for anything new for me to add. So I kept silent.

That silence continued on after the Super Bowl, through free agency and the draft. I continued reading pretty much every day but didn’t actually bother to post until August, the ’08 preseason. My posts were pretty infrequent at first – a question for the writers here; a brief observation of my own there. But from those modest beginnings this onetime lurker eventually evolved into, arguably, the gassiest windbag on this site. Truly a modern day success story that would have made even Horatio Alger proud.

Well, welcome Melissa (I like Jen’s “Melo”) and to norm, hey, we’re ALL happy you decided to start posting. You are the Poet Laureate of 101 and the occasional gasbaggery is of no concern of any of those discerning enough to realize the wisdom behind most of what you post.

On an entirely different topic, I’m starting to think our Mr. Tuck has a Hamlet Complex. He has a serious identity issue and cannot decide whether he wants to really be a football player on a long-term basis. He’s an intelligent guy who realizes there is life beyond the NFL, and he seems unable to fully commit himself one way or the other.

I am entirely sympathetic as a human being. As a fan of the team, though, I am pretty annoyed about his attitude. He’s supposed to be a leader, and leaders do not have the luxury of sulking because they’re unhappy or dissatisfied with theirs, and their team’s, performance. I’ve led a number of organizations and one of the first things you figure out is that people look to a leader for confidence when theirs may be lacking. They want the security of thinking SOMEONE understands the situation and will know the right response. So even if you have your own doubts, even if you may be discouraged, in your role as a leader you have to, if nothing else, fake confidence. No sulking allowed. No inferior body language. No lack of decisiveness. You may be wrong about what to do (and if so you have to be alert to the environment signalling that and change course) but you must make people feel your confidence and follow you secure in the notion that you are leading them down the right path. If you cannot do that you cannot lead. Justin Tuck is NOT leading this team at the moment. He should step aside and allow those who can to do so. His self-doubt is harmful to this team.

•  Chad Eldred says:

If he hasn’t already, I would also recommend a complete psych evaluation for Tuck. Mental health issues are frequently overlooked or not dealt with for fear of stigmatization. Late twenties and early thirties are common years for mental health problems to surface and become a factor that affects day to day functioning. Nobody would suspect a successful athlete of having depression because the public often confuses situational depression with actual illness.

Maybe Tuck is just experiencing an existential crisis of some kind. For his sake and the team I hope that he deals with it and either commits or retires and moves on. I love the Justin Tuck that has been a leader and a warrior. However, Justin Tuck the moper, is taking a position and salary cap space. I agree with ff55, he needs to figure it out, the sooner the better.

9.  BillyS says:

Chad Jones is the kind of person that you have all the respect in the world to. He is the epitome of perseverance. I would be thrilled if he continued to rehab and try to stick to a team in the NFL. He’s had to overcome so much and it’s players like him which make you pissed at the cocky players who treat the game as if it’s just a way to kill time. Chad Jones loves the game and wants to play. He’s got that passion that only real players have. I hope he keeps working hard and can make it back.

10.  norm says:

Justin Tuck does have the ability to rise to the occasion. His “I got a ring” sideline pep talk during the playoffs is now the stuff of legend and seemed to do a good job in firing up his mates – especially those who were not around during the ’07 title run.

So we know that Tuck CAN be a leader in January when the stakes are at their highest and the pressure to win is through the roof. And that’s a good and valuable thing. The ability to step up, lead, and not shrink from the big moment is not a trait that’s universally shared among the game’s top players (see: Romo, Tony) Some guys are at their best in September; other save their A+ game for December and beyond. Tuck is clearly in the latter camp.

Problem, of course, is the ability to lead in the postseason means nothing if you never get there in the first place. And Tuck certainly does not help that cause by visibly moping on the sidelines during the regular season. Yes, it’s a long season and yes, it’s unrealistic to expect players like Tuck to ratchet up their intensity to post season level for all 16 games.

But ferfuxake dude, at least pretend like you have at least a nominal emotional investment in these less “meaningful” regular season games. If nothing else, stay the hell off Twitter. Giants fans certainly don’t need to read any more “Rosebud” posts lamenting the loss of innocence and your pining for the simpler life of your Alabama upbringing. Help lead this team to another Super Bowl and then we’ll all be happy to read that sh!t when you write about it in your freakin’ memoir.