New York Giants Want to See Prince Amukamara Show More “Swag”

August 23rd, 2012 at 12:57 PM

The word "swag" has a variety of meanings, none of which are pertinent to its usage here in 2012. Ultimately, the concept behind "swag" is exude confidence to a near egotistical level. For football players, it also needs to translate to their play on the field, and that's exactly what the New York Giants want to see more of from second-year cornerback Prince Amukamara.

"I think he's doing pretty good," Justin Tuck said. "Obviously you would like to see him be a little bit more vocal, a little bit more — as the young kids say — 'swag.' "

Some of the reasons given for Amukamara's recent swim in the ice tub was to help him develop more of an edge – or "swag" as it were. In the video, teammates can be heard encouraging him to stand up for himself, and although he didn't, it's not going to stop them -especially the cornerbacks- from demanding more out of him.

“It’s a cornerback thing. We’re going out there every play alone. D-linemen have linebackers behind them. Linebackers have safeties behind them. Most of the time [at corner] it’s just you out there, so you’ve got to have that kind of arrogance, the kind of confidence to go out and get that job done,” Corey Webster said.

From a personality standpoint, Prince is a little different. He tends to be a little more shy, he still gets overwhelmed by the love he receives from fans and, as we've seen on video, takes some loving punishment from his teammates. But if we've learned anything from quarterback Eli Manning it's that you don't have to dominate a game with your personality, you just have to dominate it with your talent. And talent is something Amukamara doesn't lack.

“I do get told that cornerbacks are supposed to just have the most ‘swag’ and a lot of confidence,” Amukamara said. “I think that just develops through your play. If you make plays, the more confidence that you get. I think I have it. I probably don’t show it on the outside. But I think my play shows it the most.”

The swag will come. It may take some time, but it will come.

Photo Credit: Mike Gannon

Tags: Corey Webster, Eli Manning, Football, Justin Tuck, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Prince Amukamara

37 Responses to “New York Giants Want to See Prince Amukamara Show More “Swag””

1.  AdamGmen says:

I think JPP was just trying to cool off Prince considering he’s been a burn victim all preseason by opposing WR’s.

•  norm says:

all preseason = 2 plays in 1 game

I guess you skipped that part in Statistics class where they taught about sample sizes

Repost:

norm says:
    August 23, 2012 at 12:46 PM
    Man, people are overthinking this DT thing waaaaay too much.

The Giants are NOT going to go into the season with five DTs on the roster when they only dress three on game days. They are going to carry four, as they have in the past.

Landfill and Austin are locks (yes, Austin is a lock. Get over it. A second round pick still has a free pass to the roster in his second year with the team)

If we assume Canty starts the year on PUP, it means Bernard, Rogers, Thomas, Kuhn, and Hendricks are battling to fill the last two spots.

At this point, Rogers appears to be on the outside looking in. I highly doubt he’s in the team’s plans.

Hendricks is also a longshot. He’s going to have a monster game against the Bears or Pats to win a spot.

Thomas is a proven NFL commodity, still relatively young, but new to the system. One of the last two jobs is his to lose.

So in the end it comes to Kuhn vs. Bernard for the final spot. Bernard has experience and familiarity with the system on his side but he’s long in the tooth. Kuhn has upside and the whole “high motor white guy” thing (hat tip to Nosh) going for him.

Simply put, the Giants are not going to keep Kuhn just for his upside. He’s going to have to demonstrate over the next two games that he’s good enough RIGHT NOW to bring as much (or more) to the party than will Bernard. Which is not an especially high hurdle to vault, by the way. Rocky has been a solid contributor over the past couple of seasons but not exactly a world beater. He’s eminently replaceable.

If Kuhn shows something against Chi and/or NE, I think the Giants will opt in favor of the younger player and kick Bernard to the curb. If Kuhn shows little, he will be cut and placed on the practice squad. If some other team claims him before he gets to the PS, then too bad, too sad. But the Giants are NOT going to carry 5 DTs. Ain’t gonna happen.

kujo says:
    August 23, 2012 at 12:59 PM
    Agreed. 100%

I completely disagree. It’s not fair to even assume Canty starts on PUP, though he could and that’s makes 4 just a slight possibility. If you keep 4 DTs including Austin that means Austin is likely inactice to start since his health is in question. Then you have 3 other DTs that must play all the snaps. The 2 likely choices in addition to Joseph would likely be Benard and Thomas. Benard who is 33 and hasn’t started regularly in what 4 years we are suppose to expect starters snaps out of? Or Thomas who’s playing his first football game tomorrow we expect to play starters or close to starters snaps? Joseph is going not need blows and the other two are big questions in the snaps they can play. We need a 4th active DT for the short term this year. When Canty, Austin gets healthy and Sash returns then we can return to DTs on the roster. But begining this year we need 5 DTs. There’s a similar situation at CB where we need to carry 6 CBs to start due to TT. Once TT is healthy that might become 5 CBs.

•  norm says:

Absurd.

I’ll say it again: A team that only dresses three DTs every week is not going to carry five at the position. It’s that simple.

Why are people assuming that Thomas is going to be faced with some steep learning curve? He had his best years in Denver as a 4-3 DT. When they switched to a 3-4, he struggled. Yeah, there will undoubtedly be a bit of an adjustment period as he becomes familiar with the system and the tendencies of his team mates. But it’s not going to keep him from dressing on Sundays and possible starting alongside Landfill as soon as Sept 5, if need be. Dude’s a pro; he’ll be fine.

Bernard and Kuhn will fight to claim the #3 DT spot, as I said earlier. Austin will likely be inactive most weeks.

I don’t know why people think this situation is anything so unique. This sh!t happens every camp; business as usual. New players come in. Older players are replaced. High draft choices need to be protected. Decisions have to me made as to whether to roll the dice on a young guy with upside who may not be quite ready for prime time. Tough choices all. But to think that the Giants are going to radically alter the composition of their roster to avoid having to make some of those choices this year is just silliness.

3.  Jason McEwan says:

I really hate that word, pains me to hear the Giants using it.

4.  JimStoll says:

I forgot about Sash taking a roster spot as well
    that’s Canty, austin, Boley, Thomas, Beaty and Sash
    all players who if healthy make the roster and contribute
    but none may be able to contribute for the foreseeable future

I wouldn’t be surprised to see TT IR’d and Canty PUP’d

Keeping Austin over Kuhn when Austin has played any football in 2 years and has already shown himself to be physically fragile seems like a real shame

Sash doesn’t count against the roster while he’s suspended.

TT was signed because we believe he might be able to play football at a high level. We haven’t determined that he can’t yet. We will give him some time to show us if he can or can’t.

Kuhn hasn’t shown any greatness, while their is belief the Austin posses some.

•  jfunk says:

Sash won’t take a spot during his 4 game suspension.

“Ultimately, the concept behind “swag” is exude confidence to a near egotistical level.” – But this doesn’t mean Prince his to display his swag in an outward manner. IMO Eli has the ultimate swag but it’s not displsyed visually. A CB needs to forget the last play and have the ultimate confidence. Just watching Prince he seems to let once bad play bother him more that he should and it effects subsequent plays. I think he’s getting better and eventually he will get the confidence or swag he needs to excel at CB.

6.  LUZZ says:

Norm – old Jews don’t say y’all. Come clean, bro.

7.  BillyS says:

I’m tired of hearing about all this “swag” stuff. To me there’s a difference between being confident and having “swag”. Eli is confident. He trusts his abilities, he trusts his receivers, and he know what he’s capable of. Someone with swag just seems too over confident and cocky, to the point where it could become a weakness that can be exploited. I don’t care if Prince becomes confident or gets “swag”. What I wants is for Prince to trust his abilities and to stop second guessing everything. He needs to stop being afraid of making mistakes because they will happen. In time he’ll learn to adjust on the fly and be a better player — one who is confident. He seems fairly quiet and reserved and it’d suck to see him become a little cocky dude who celebrates after every single play, even the small ones.

Norm – You’re missing my point. Game one is less than 2 weeks away. Joseph, Benard and Thomas are not enough at DTs to play that game. Once Thomas gets back into football shape he will be fine. But Thomas was just signed and hasn’t played in a game yet. Benard hasn’t played as a starter in years and I question at 33 (old for a DT) if he can play starter type of snaps. Kuhn playing as out 3rd DT? Did you see Landfil his rookie year? It’s not reasonable to expect Kuhn to help as a #3 DT game one if at all this year.

This situation is unique because 2 out of 4 projected top DTs are injured and likely will not suit up week one. But both will make the roster. The further complication is Canty started working on the side and seems that he might be ready end of sept. So do you put your best DT on PUP when he could play 3 games before then?

We always alter our roster. 5 years ago we never carried 7 WRs now we have done in for a few years. Last year we carried 5 safeties due to injuies and 4 CBs. We also carried 5 DEs becasue we were banged up at DE which is very similar to how we are at DT now. The roster allocation is based on where our talent is and injuires not just a pre set number per position.

•  norm says:

Again, where did it say that Thomas is out of football shape?

Look, I get that he’s missed camp and the first two games of preseason and is probably not in peak physical condition. I get that he’s a newcomer here and not quite familiar with the system.

This is NOT a unique situation. It’s the NFL – a league in which guys routinely get hurt and replacements are routinely brought in off the street and abruptly thrown into the mix and asked to produce. Sometime those replacements are not in the best football shape; sometimes they are unfamiliar with the system.

Thomas is now that replacement. Starting him Week 1 may not be the ideal solution. But it’s not so impractical that the coaches will now decide to devote an additional roster spot to carry an extra DT. He’ll play and the team will tolerate the adjustment pains that will inevitably ensue.

As for the #3 DT role, Bernard played it last year. No reason to think he’ll be incapable of playing a similar number of snaps now that he’s one year older. If Kuhn shows the coaches enough in the last two games to where they think he might replicate Bernard’s production from last year, he’ll be the #3 guy and Rocky will be sent back to the Black Mountain Hills of South Dakota.

Once again: 4 DTs on the roster; only three dress for games. The Giants will go into the season with the three players (+ Austin) who the coaches think are the most ready to contribute right now.

That’s all you need to know. All this other byzantine reasoning is just so much noise.

The problem with that norm is that leaves them one injury away from having to have Tuck and JPP take snaps at DT instead of wreaking havoc from the edge. That may be fine against some teams, but it would hurt against others and would definitely expose them to more harm than we like.

You may well be right, but 5 would not surprise me at all. I think that’s more likely at this point than four unless Austin plays tomorrow and against the Pats and shows he’s ready to suit up (for those games….he isn’t going to dress for many this season, at least until the latter half). If all they can protect on the roster is Canty, Joseph, Austin and ONE of the others then they will be jettisoning someone who could prove over the first 3-4 games that he can really help them over the long run (Thomas or Kuhn or Hendricks) or has helped them win a championship and is very reliable (Bernard). They may decide to hold onto one more and go light on one of the other positions.

•  norm says:

Well the team is “one injury away” from being dangerously thin at several other positions as well. You can’t make tough roster choices based on the fear of hypothetical future injuries.

Realistically, this team could probably cut Rocky Bernard tomorrow and still find him sitting on the couch several weeks later if they needed him. He had been floating around, unemployed, until the Giants brought him back last month.

Same with Hendricks, a guy who was available for the taking to any one of the 31 other teams for the past three years.

Even if neither of those two were available, that the Giants would not be without options for replacements should that hypothetical injury ever occur. Heck, for all we know Rogers might be healthy and ready to play by that point. Or some as yet unknown DT sitting on someone else’s PS.

Well I guess you understand me but we just disagree. That’s cool, it’s not the first time. We will see. As we will see about your boy Cordle.

•  norm says:

LOL.

Although I’m gonna hedge my bet on Cordle a bit now that Chris White seems to be in the picture as a backup C.

But I stand firmly by my earlier assertion that the Giants WILL go into the season with a dedicated backup to Baas on he roster – and not simply rely on Boothe (who will be the starting LG) as you suggested they would. So if Cordle does not make it, White will.

Like I stated before we though boothe was our best backup center last year. So why would that change now? And why we carry either of two players (who if we can find Benard or Rodgers on the street) we could certainly find on the street if needed. Especially, when you need a roster spot for a probably “redshirt” in Mosley and maybe a question in Beatty. IMO Benard is much better and more important than White/Cordle.

•  norm says:

Center who knows the system >>>> DT who know the system

Neither Cordle now White may be Bernard’s equal in pure “talent” but it’s so much harder to get a plug n play center off the street than it is a plug n play DT.

The Giants are not going to risk throwing their whole line into disarray by sliding their starting LG over to center if it means putting the piss poor pass protectin’ Petrus in his place. They will have a backup other than Boothe – who will only be used there in the even of a dire emergency.

9.  JimStoll says:

what do people think of the likelihood of Beckum retaining a roster spot if healthy?
    does he stay in lieu of Pacoe?
    Does Robinson go to the PS?

Reese should never have said Robinson is “the JPP of tight ends”. Put the guy on everyone’s radar and made him tough to send to the practice squad.

I think Beckum is toast.

Beckum starts on PUP. He’s insurance just in case one of our top 3 TEs get’s injured. If all three are healthy after week 10 he will just be cut like Koets was last year.

I have been a big believer in Amukamara and still am. I believe he will be a stud. He just needs time. Corey Webster, a near-shutdown corner who has blanketed many of the top receivers in the NFL, required three years to “get” it. Prince was a better player in college than Corey and I think he’s a better athlete. He should wind up better than Webster. He and Hosley are the future at corner for the Giants. Matter of time.

•  JimStoll says:

I’m wondering if TT doesn’t get IR’d before the season starts

•  BillyS says:

Webster was also coming off injury just like Prince. I noticed the comparison as well with how Webster took so long to come around. Back then there were lots of fans who were ready to give up on Webster, but good thing he stayed since he became a #1 CB. Prince has all the tools you look for in a lock down CB. He’s got size, speed, he’s extremely athletic. He did get torched on a few plays so far, but I’ve got faith in him in the long run. I’d hate to give up on him only to have him turn into the next Corey Webster.

•  Chad Eldred says:

I agree the Hosley and Amukamara are the future and a very bright one. They will be the premier tandem in the league. The only question to me is who “arrives” first. For all practical purposes Amukamara is 50% rookie since his maiden campaign was limited at best.

Hosley is a much, much better athlete than draft gurus thought and he is already proving it. In college he was overlooked to large degree because he made things look so easy. As a Va. Tech follower I am biased, but he really did fall off the radar because throwing his way was a really bad idea.

Amukamara just needs to get up to speed with the NFL game and get his confidence. In that sense I agree with the “swag” factor, even though I don’t care for the term. He has the ability, he just needs to get his mental game up to par with his physical ability.

•  BillyS says:

I still find it hard to believe how Hosley managed to fall as far as he did. I know he wasn’t the sharpest tool in the shed, and I believe he had a drug thing that he admitted to at the Combine, but he just seems too talented to have fallen as far as he did. I’m not complaining, but I’m hoping he continues to play with a chip on his shoulder in order to show teams what they missed out on.

Honestly, I don’t think Hosley was overlooked it was the drug test. His average performance last year knocked him into the second round then the drug test the 3rd round. In 2010, he had probably the best season I have seen from a VTech CB ever. But he was a soph so it wasn’t as celebrated as it should have been. His size and athleticism reminds me a lot of Brent Grimes but I think he can be better in coverage.

It’s funny but I have more confidence in Hosley handling the slot CB than Prince the #2 spot. It’s not a diss on Prince but just a feel about Hosley.