Jason Pierre-Paul Dumps Prince Amukamara into a Cold Tub: Prank Gone Too Far?

August 19th, 2012 at 9:30 AM

If you haven't heard or seen by now, New York Giants punter Steve Weatherford recently uploaded a video to Vumee.com that shows defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul carrying cornerback Prince Amukamara from the locker-room to the cold tubs outside. He then proceeds to flip Amukamara over into the cold tub as several teammates look on.

On the surface, it initially appears like a good old fashioned prank or perhaps some sort of retribution. However, reaction to the video has been surprisingly negative, with several concerning factors having been pointed out. We've embedded the video below, but will warn you that it is not safe for work (NSFW) as it contains questionable and, at times, vulgar language.

YouTube has removed one copy of this video claiming it violates the site’s “policy prohibiting content designed to harass, bully or threaten.” A second copy (seen above) has been marked "age-restricted" based on their community guidelines – specifically their bullying policy. That's significant to note as several media outlets, including Pro Football Talk, condemn this video as exactly that: bullying.

Now in his second year, Amukamara is no longer a rookie and seemingly immune from rookie hazing – something the NFL frowns upon anyway. That, coupled with his obviously upset and angry look after emerging from the cold tub, seems to raise some concerning flags. Moreover, teammates can be heard urging him to "stand up for yourself" and to "get down!"

After Prince departs, JPP can be heard saying "You ain't gonna do shit to me" as he high-fives a few teammates.

Beyond just the "prank," the injury concern looms large in this indecent. Should Prince have caught his ankle or leg, or perhaps even his head, on the corner of the medal cold tub, a serious injury could have occurred … and you can bet head coach Tom Coughlin was the first one who pointed that out after he saw the video.

More to the point, is this prank taking things "too far?" What say you, Giants fans?

Tags: Football, Jason Pierre-Paul, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Prince Amukamara, Steve Weatherford, Tom Coughlin

21 Responses to “Jason Pierre-Paul Dumps Prince Amukamara into a Cold Tub: Prank Gone Too Far?”

1.  NYG88 says:

Very tough to judge without knowing the context around it… on the surface does seem like JPP just being a jerk but will probably never really know.

As people will point out, there could be (and probably is) worse than this though

2.  turkish says:

The only problem here is that Weatherford posted the video. This “bullying” tag that’s thrown around today like the world is a giant kindergarten is just pathetic.

These are grown men.

Doesn’t exactly make me feel very good though. Prince wasn’t laughing. And JPP seemed like a total d-ck.

•  turkish says:

Who looks like they just blew out the candles on their cake after being dumped in an ice tub?

I think it’s being WAY overblown by people who weren’t even there.

•  demo3356 says:

Couldn’t agree more turkish.. My only problem is the idiot punter posting this video for public to see.. His teammates arent going to be thrilled.. This type of stuff happens all the time but is supposed to stay within the clubhouse..

•  James Stoll says:

Sounds like Prince must have pranked him first
          JPP does look like he went a little far, or at least Prince looks a tad unhappy/humiliated afterwards

I would have preferred JPP thrown one or two of the o-linemen in the tank and told them that punishment will continue until play improves

•  Krow says:

Prince’s seeming reaction is what makes it look ugly. If he was laughing and joking then it’s just a typical prank. But we didn’t get any of that.

•  BillyS says:

It looks like JPP tried to one up him and be “top dog”. I have 2 real problems with this though. First off, Weatherford uploading this was beyond dumb. It was a locker room thing that I’m sure happens in every single locker room. It may not be the same event or anything, but I’m sure weird stuff like that happens and it’s part of teammates bonding. I’m sure Prince will forgive him. Secondly, I don’t like the fact that JPP did something that could potentially injure a guy we desperately need on defense this year. Prince has been fairly fragile as is and throwing him into a tub probably isn’t the best idea — watch him catch pneumonia or something now.

4. Anthony Raiaaxr29 says:

It sounds like it was revenge from what JPP is saying at the end.

On another note Martinek looked good on that swing pass for a td

5.  norm says:

Could not watch the game last night but in reading some of the comments here, it sounded like the D-line was in post-season form… while the O-line remains stuck in preseason mode.

Being unable to comment on any specifics from last night, I’ll simply refer back to my post the other day in which I opined that the Giants O-line would be significantly improved from last year but would likely shake out as no better than a “middle of the pack unit” this year.

By “middle of the pack unit,” I mean a line that is not going to impose its will on all comers. A “middle of the pack unit,” by definition will look good against the lower tier defensive fronts and tend to struggle against the upper tier.

And make not mistake about it: For all the Jets’ flaws as a team, they have an upper tier front seven. No, the pass rush has never been much to write home about but, under Rex, they have consistently been among the league’s best in stopping the run. David Harris and Bart Scott are both Pro Bowl caliber thumpers and the big Samoan dude they have at NT (can’t recall his name ATM) is a load. That a Giants O-line which is still a work in progress looked inept against a seasoned veteran group who has always sold out to stop the run is hardly what I’d call a worrisome development at this stage.

I’d expect more of the same against a very stout Bears front next week… followed by an uptick in fortunes against a much softer NE D in the week after. For the time being, I’m far more interested in reading folks’ observations on the individual performances – specifically the young cats such as Brewer, Mosley, McCants, and – of course – The Great Joel Reinders.

Anyone?

I have long said Herzlich will beat out Blackburn but obviously I was wrong. I think Blackburn is just better than I thought. He played very well last night.

Hosley was given a chance at slot CB and he appears to be taking full advantage. He also appears to be our PR.I think we got a steal with this kid. Youth will be injected into the secondary with Hosley, Hill and Prince all being key players. Sash is our 4th safety now. Prince I didn’t see much which is a good thing. I’m excited out our DBs though some of our depth guys like Tryon have been disapointing.

Wilson and Randle also looked good. As did Kuhn and I thought McCants looked pretty good too. This draft good turn out like 2007 but with earlier contributions.

I thought Brown looked good too. I have long favored Scott but Brown might be a better fit with Wilson around. Basically everything Scott brings Wilson also brings and does it better. Brown did well as a pass block, he’s a short yardage option and he can contribute on special team coverage units.

Cruz is better than I thought he’s a possesion WR with elite quickness and big play ability. The combination of him a Nicks should make anyone we play at 3rd WR successful.

The combination of our DEs will be lethal as expected. I just hope Tracy is ok.

Tynes better safe some of his leg for the regular season.

Oh the run blocking isn’t as bad as some think. The Jets and Jags are two of the best run defenses in the NFL. We are not a top run blocking so we will struggle against the best run defenses. Against these type of teams in the regular season we will use the pass to open up our running game.

•  norm says:

McCants looked good?

That’s very encouraging news. Hopefully, it’s something he can build on over the next few weeks.

He was someone I was expecting to get nothing from this year; I had him ticketed for the PS.

7.  norm says:

Did Herzlich look bad? Or did Blackburn simply play that well?

I’m glad to hear Prince looked better than last week – but, seriously, how hard is it not to get burned when Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow are the QBs? Cutler will be a much more telling test.

I know the run game was non-existent – but did any of the backs show anything of note?

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Herz got hurt early and Blackburn played really well.

•  Chad Eldred says:

The backs had their moments. Believe it or not Brown showed some burst when he was able to get into the open field. Ware looked respectable on a couple of runs as well when he wasn’t caught in a jailbreak.

8.  norm says:

Before anyone gets too worked up – one way or the other – over individual performances, I’d hasten to remind them that this was the dreaded Jets game.

I understand that no Giants players were carted off the field with a season ending injury. Near as I can tell, all of the casualties were of the day-to-day, bumps and bruises variety.

I know I’m not alone in saying that was #1 on the list of “best possible outcomes” for this week.

•  Chad Eldred says:

I really think there were a lot of positives that came out of the game. And yeah, I had the same thought as you regarding the injuries. So far it doesn’t sound like anything of the IR variety.

Great showing for the defense. Regardless of who the Jets are offensively, they are an NFL team. You play against the team that shows up. The defense did so, and very well. Rivers showed some real promise. Kuhn, Hill, Hosley and other youngsters looked good.

Tynes had me excited. I don’t think I’ve ever been amped about a kicker, but if he can get touchbacks like he has in the preseason it could go a long way towards eliminating the ridiculous field position we tend to give up.

O-line still can’t run block, but there were positives there as well. The reserves played better than they did against JAX. Even if it’s nothing to writer home about it is good trend that hopefully will continue.

The Jets seem almost pathetic … like beaten dogs. They’re in for a miserable season. Kind of sad.