Several New York Giants Blame Back Issues at Training Camp on Dorm Mattresses

August 15th, 2012 at 11:30 AM
By Paul Tierney

Close your eyes and imagine New York Giants' 6'6"/ 330lb backup tackle James Brewer sleeping on a twin size mattress, similar to the one you had when you were a child. Okay, maybe that was a bad idea … but that has been the reality for many Giants players for the duration of training camp. With guys like Marvin Austin, Will Beatty and James Brewer all missing time with back issues, the quality of the mattresses at UAlbany have become a hot discussion.

It's important to note that the team supplies the mattresses, not UAlbany. However, as NFL athletes spend countless hours of each offseason training and getting into shape for the season, it's understandable how players can get frustrated over having to wake up with muscle aches after sleeping on small, rock hard mattresses. On Tuesday, Will Beatty shed light in the issue.

“You spend a lot of money getting your house right and then you come here and it just ain’t the same. You hit up Wal-Mart a few times, get some Tempur-Pedic toppers, your own blankets and, eh, it’s not the same,” he said.

While the accommodations at training camp are in no way an attempt to replicate a five-star hotel, one would think the Giants would do anything and everything to make sure their players were getting good, comfortable rest in order for their bodies to recuperate from the day's activities.

That seems not to be the case. With several players coming out and publicly stating their displeasure with their mattresses, this seemingly minor issue has left many wondering whether it has anything to do with the slew of injuries that have devastated the defensive tackle position. Tight end Martellus Bennet had his own take on the mattresses at camp.

“We’re big humans. Every bed is small,” Bennett said. “You can’t put a damn dinosaur in a twin-sized bed. … A normal-sized human jumps into a regular-sized bed and it fits perfectly. Large, big humans jump in a regular-sized bed, the bed’s too small."

As the season progresses this is an issue that will likely fade into obscurity. However, for now, it has the team wondering if the conditions at training camp are worth subjecting their multi-million dollar athletes too in the future. With the decrease in the allowed number of practices under the new collective bargaining agreement, it may not be worth it to travel all the way up to Albany anymore. It will be interesting to see what the team decides on whether to return to UAlbany for training camp in the coming years.

photo credit: kalebdf via photo pin cc

Tags: Collective Bargaining Agreement, Football, James Brewer, Marvin Austin, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Will Beatty

24 Responses to “Several New York Giants Blame Back Issues at Training Camp on Dorm Mattresses”

So will MattressGate cost the Giants equipment manager (or whomever arranges for the delivery of them) his job? The Tisches should have sent up the mattresses from the Loews Hotel on Park Avenue. Those are pretty sweet.

This is only funny if it turns out that Austin’s back is fine and he was just too heavy for those little beds and hard mattresses. But I have to say that Martellus bennett is rapidly moving up my list of favorite Giants. The guy is quite a character, and he seems to do everything with a smile. I hope Reese signs him to an extension quickly enough so it won’t be too costly.

2.  kujo says:

Funny as it sounds, this is actually legit. The first mattress I bought whenever Amanda and I first started dating was a real piece of sh*t. I got it on Craigslist and it cost me $200, including the frame. Sh*tty though it may have been, it was a substantial step up from the twin sized bed we’d been splitting for the first 6 months of our relationship.

Anyway, a year goes by and we are both complaining of back problems. She broke her arms and shoulder as a kid when she fell from a tree, and the mattress was bringing those injuries back. For me, it was the tail bone–broke mine in a car accident when I was a teen and the bad mattress was f*cking with it again.

We finally had to just pony up the dough and pay for a bunch of massages to work out the knots, as well as a new sleep number bed.

Even though Brewer is a p*ssy, it is crazy that they have these professional athletes sleeping on sh*tty dorm room mattresses.

3.  Dirt says:

“It’s important to note that the team supplies the mattresses, not UAlbany.”

Yes, it is, yet it hasn’t made its way into the headlines or main commentary of the stories popping up. And the only reason this is a story at all is because of these beat writers who don’t want to be here. I’m not even a UAlbany grad, but I’m growing a little tired of the dumping my community has received from these people over the last 3 weeks. Yes, it isn’t New York City. But what it is is a quiet, welcoming community that welcomes these guys with open arms and allows the team to realize its mission: assemble for camp outside of the comfort and temptations of home and foocus on building a championship football team. They’ve made 3 Super Bowl runs starting here. And the community wants them here. And the team wants to keep coming here, if they could get better indoor facilities for use during inclement weather.

But, sure, keep on dumping on us.

Frankly, I very much hope they keep going up there. It’s good for the Capital District, good for team bonding, and good for the state economy. Andrew Cuomo ought to call up the Maras and Tisches and make it clear that they have that “New York” name and the least they can do is keep giving a summer boost to the upstate economy in exchange.

I’m a fan of Albany (the town, not the government), and I think there are interesting signs of life in Schenectady thanks to GE, Union College, IBM, and the Nanotechnology initiatives that have become significant in the entire region. Even Troy is undergoing something of a renaissance. But in July and August the big attractions there are Lake George, the races at Saratoga, the Adirondacks, and the Giants. None of them are going anywhere unless the Giants make a dumb decision.

4.  norm says:

It should be noted that Rueben Randle has not complained of any back problems.

My guess is that he took one look at those mattresses and figured he’d be better off getting his sleep in team meetings during the day rather than the UAlbany twin beds at night.

Smart kid. Too bad more of his team mates did not follow his lead.

Cost of Giants’ Payroll = approximately $75MM

Cost of high-quality mattresses for 90 players = approximately $150,000 wholesale

Cost of Having No Back Problems in Camp = Priceless

6.  Chad Eldred says:

I agree that mattress quality and sleep in general are very important things. Especially realized that when I passed the age of 30. But even so, I don’t know how much can really be attributed to mattresses. Stiffness, muscle problems, sure, but a herniated disk? That’s a little tougher. I have a crappy office chair, I’m not concerned I will need bowel surgery any time soon.

•  Chad Eldred says:

And as I’m looking at the picture up top, I’m thinking that there is no way I’d be taking the bottom bunk if Shawn Rogers had been my bunkmate.

7.  Dirt says:

This news about Witten is nuts. Just saw the replay – that’s a hit that happens in every football game played.

I will also not feel bad playing them at less than full strength.

The ironic thing is it’s all on the OL. Romo made a great play just to get rid of the ball but the length of the throw made Witten a sitting duck. It’s bad luck but that’s a bigger hit that you are suppose to take in preseason.

Getting back to football, I’d have to say that with Witten very likely to miss the opening game of the season (and Bennett, thankfully, on the Giants) and some unknown guy the likely #3 receiver for the Cowboys, and their offensive line in shambles at the moment, even without Canty the Giants at this point appear to be the much better-prepared team going into Week 1 provided they can stay healthy through these next three games of preseason.

The Cowboys will also have a rookie at cornerback (trying to cover Nicks or Cruz) and still have at least one weak spot at safety.

Somehow the prognosticators will give the Cowboys a good chance to beat us, but frankly, it seems to me that if we just go with a lot of tight end doubling of Ware and running backs chipping him when we go three-wide or Trips, this will be a game the Giants should win while Canty gets closer to playing and some of our youngsters get some experience “with real bullets flying”. We just have to slow down their run game and cover Austin and Bryant, always doubling one and rotating toward the other. Given that Romo will be under pressure from the edges the ‘Boys will not even be able to go with three wide receivers that frequently, as they will have to keep a tight end and a RB back to help keep Tony in one piece. And neither of those tight ends they’ll have playing that night will have delat previously with JPP, Osi and Tuck.

I’m liking this match-up. A lot.

•  kujo says:

If we can corral Murray and Jones, and not allow Ware to obliterate Eli, we should have a pretty good chance.

•  Chad Eldred says:

Don’t forget, just like home field advantage, the star on the helmet is an automatic 3-point adjustment to the line. Prognosticators and “experts” still buy into the Dallas legend. You would think they’d know better by now.

The line will end up -3, maybe up to -4 if Witten’s can’t play. The public perception is that these are 2 equal teams.

9.  norm says:

Witten’s absence figures to mitigate the severity of the “a$$ kicking” – prophesied by the Oracle of Jerruh, Himself – that the Cowboys will administer to the Giants.

In breaking down their team even before their preseason game I think Dallas is overrated. Their OL is a mess. They have Smith starting at LT who never even started at LT in college so while he’s talented there’s at least a learning curve. And let’s not even talk about their interior. They have nothing behind Witten at TE and have questions at WR beyond their top 2. Austin is always banged up and Dez has yet to even be the best WR on his team.

On defense everyone points to Ware and he’s great but so is Jared Allen. Minn’s defense still sucks. Lee is a very good player as is Carr. To me the reason for the declining Dallas defese has been upfront. Canty and Hatcher weren’t as easily replaceable as Dallas thought. Their DE play has really dropped but even more so I think Ratliff who at one point was as good as Ware is really slowing down. Ratliff is still a good player but to be an undersized NT in the 3-4 you need elite quickness and he’s losing that. The safeties if they were average it would be a surprise and at CB besides Carr who’s learning a new defense is a bunch of questions. A rookie who’s missed most of training camp and a vet in Jenkins who has an injury that makes his return as uncertain as Canty’s.

I’m predicting 7-9. I see them finishing 4th easier than being better than us or Philly.

•  norm says:

The Dallas fanbase begs to differ.

In reading some blog comments made following the Cowboys’ Monday night win over the Raiders, I learned that the ability to pitch a shutout against an offense helmed by the likes of Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart, and Terrelle Pryor clearly heralded the onset of a dominant defense.

Apparently, more than a few of their faithful are now expecting to see a similar outcome in a few weeks time against an offense that features Eli Manning, Hakeem Nicks, and Victor Cruz.

Ahhhh… how much poorer would the world of sports (and the owners’ pocketbooks) be were it not for the miracle of delusion?

Wait just a minute.

If they finish 4th in the NFC East I predict we will see Cowboys Stadium lift off its foundations and rapidly elevate via fusion power back to the part of the universe from which they originally came, having failed to conquer the NFL, which they were led to believe would give them power over all of earth.

C’mon, you going to tell me Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett don’t look like aliens trying to look like humans? And before them came Tom Landry, Roger Staubach, Barry Switzer, Too Tall Jones, Jimmy Johnson (tell me that hair is human…I don’t believe it), and, of course Duane Thomas, who made TO look like a boring college professor. They used guys like Witten and Meredith and Smith as “beards” so we wouldn’t focus closely enough to notice.

I also hear from various sources that they have a fracking operation hidden in the bowels of the stadium and that by means of an other-worldly horizontal drilling system they are currently extracting about 70% of total national oil and gas reserves. They require all that fuel to start the auxiliary engines and allow for guidance systems to work once they escape our puny atmosphere. Eli heard about who these guys really are and signed his name to that concrete so he would be known well outside of the Milky Way. Good for endorsements, as we know.

•  norm says:

Kudos.

Only an old-timer who has actually lived and suffered through the the biannual humiliation that was visited on the Giants during the Landry/Staubach years (not to mention the smug condescension with which it was always delivered) can truly understand the searing, white-hot rancor toward the Cowboys that still burns in some of us to this day.

Yeah, I know that the Cowboys under Jerruh have pretty much devolved into a self-parodying national joke. And that the Philadelphia Eagles have largely supplanted them in the hearts of Giants fans as the preferred hatred du jour. But the Cowboys will always remain my #1 sports-themed hatred. And #2 is not even close.

I won’t even dignify that franchise by saying “F— the Cowboys.” Because that suggest the possibility of procreation. And one Dallas Cowboys team is already more than enough. The possibility of any offspring is just too horrifying to contemplate.

Yeah, the f’ing Cowboys and Dealey Plaza pretty much make Dallas among those places on Earth that I would not at all mind awakening to find have disappeared. And they can take JR and Bobby with ‘em. (Not our JR, sadly departed, but the soap opera one who has apparently returned since Larry Hagman cannot be otherwise employed).

•  norm says:

First, “Jersey Shore” and now, “Dallas.”

My man, you are really flexing your pop culture chops today.

And, I am going to the Springsteen concert on September 22 at MetLife. I have my “low culture” bona fides going today!!

My wife, who loves opera, theater, experimental film, and the Ash Can and New York School artists, was absolutely addicted to Dallas back in the day. We literally had to be home on Friday nights in time for her to see those shows (even if we went back out afterwards…nope, didn’t tape much in those days either). So, despite my best efforts to ignore it, I actually knew who shot Bobby (of course, I’ve forgotten by now). I drew the line at Dynasty and told her that if she wanted to watch it that was fine but I would be prowling around in the city looking for more interesting activities. That seemed to dull her interest in adult soaps. Now I accede to Mad Men (lousy show) in exchange for her not only sometimes coming to games with me, but NEVER objecting to my watching the NFL like I’m transfixed.