New York Giants’ Shaun Rogers Lost for Season with Blood Clot in Left Calf

August 14th, 2012 at 3:57 PM

New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin confirmed what many expected on Tuesday, revealing that defensive tackle Shaun Rogers will miss the 2012 season with a blood clot in his left calf.

"It’s very sad, because you don’t know the real story. He lost 50 pounds. He went from the high 380s to 334 to check in at. He was really excited about being a part of this team. He got along really well with our defensive linemen. He actually asked to go play some more snaps the other night, which I thought was really neat. It’s just a shame," Coughlin said.

Rogers initially suffered his injury when leg-whipped during practice prior to the preseason opener against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Thinking it wasn't serious, Rogers boarded the flight to Florida and played in the game, exacerbating it quite significantly. After experiencing some leg swelling, he was sent to the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York on Monday where he met with orthopedic surgeon Russell Warren and vascular surgeon John Karwowaki.

Not only will this end Rogers' 2012 season, it may also put an end to his 12-year NFL career.

Coming into the offseason, Rogers was highly motivated by the prospect of possibly winning his first Super Bowl championship before retiring. He displayed incredible commitment by losing more than 50 lbs. prior to training camp, which drew praise from not only coach Coughlin, but from his fellow teammates as well.

When discussing Rogers' situation prior to practice on Tuesday, Chris Canty was visibly emotional calling it "very, very sad."

Coughlin says the team is in the process of bringing in another defensive tackle, but gave no indication on who it was. He also noted there's been no update on the status of Marvin Austin (back), though he "prays" the phone rings and it's good news.

"I thought we were as deep there as we were at any position on the team. It's not that way right now," Coughlin said.

The team announced earlier today that DT Martin Parker will also miss the season due to a herniated disk that requires surgery.

Tags: Chris Canty, Football, Marvin Austin, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Shaun Rogers, Tom Coughlin

19 Responses to “New York Giants’ Shaun Rogers Lost for Season with Blood Clot in Left Calf”

re-post…didn’t notice new topic. I feel badly for Rogers, and for us.

“Okay, so the bottom line certainly appears to be that no matter who the team signs now, we have been weakened against the run by these injuries at DT. Even if Austin’s back is fine, you can bet that three young and inexperienced players (Austin, Hendricks and Kuhn) who have to learn how to play a very complex position that requires identifying immediately where blockers are coming from and find a way to fill a gap or get into the backfield and disrupt a play will make plenty of mistakes that can be exploited by opposing offenses. And a DT acquired now with experience is not going to be anything beyond “average”, if that. Just maybe Tommie Harris would be an exception if he has regained his desire to play not very long after losing his wife, but I suspect he’s a long shot to get signed.

What does that mean?

As I’ve said, I think it almost assures us that until Canty is back Tuck will have to take some snaps at DT, something I suspect they were hoping to avoid this season except when in the NASCAR set.

I think it gives Chase Blackburn a substantial plus in his competition with Herzlich for the starting MIKE position (although I think Herzlich will eventually displace him and will see a minority of snaps even early in the season).

I think it almost guarantees Will Hill a place on the roster since he is the kind of safety who has always been excellent in run support and might allow Fewell to keep Rolle back almost as frequently as he had planned.

I think that in the competition for the last roster spots among the defensive backs it gives a big advantage to the bigger guys who can help in run support. That hurts Tryon and Bing and helps the others.

And I think it may mean that Hixon opens as the #3 wide receiver because Coughlin will tell Gilbride that they may have to do more scoring since opponents may be able to both score a bit more and squeeze the clock so the Giants need some big plays and cannot afford lots of mistakes that end drives. That would favor the reliable Hixon over Randle and Jernigan and Barden, each of whom might be more likely to runan incorrect route or drop a pass at an inopportune time.”

•  kujo says:

Explain to me how Herzlich, a guy who is known to be an excellent run stopper, will have lost his job to Blackburn, a guy who is also good against the run, but who hasn’t an iota the athleticism or “potential” of Herzlich, because of a spate of injuries to our run-stuffing DTs?

•  Chad Eldred says:

I have to admit, I’m not really following that logic either.

I follow the logic. F55′s saying with Herzlich and inexperienced DTs playing a lot is too much youth in the middle of the defense. I don’t agree because chances are even a vet DT will be inexperienced in this scheme. So if Herzlich beats out Blackburn I don’t think the inexpereince in front of him will cause coaches to not start him.

I think we were always going to employ some nascar but now it may be more. Tracy allows us to rotate our DE even in pass rushing situations.

I do think this effects guys like Tyron, Jones, Trattou, Cordle, Stanback, etc. are affected because we probably keep 5-6 DTs.

I don’t think this changes anything on offense. We are trying to score as much as we can regardless of the level of our defense.

Yes to scoring as much as you can on offense in any case, but hear me out. By the end of the preseason they may have concluded that the third best wide receiver on this team is Reuben Randle. But he’s a rookie, and he is, contrary to what anyone may claim, not completely “NFL-ready”. He’ll run some wrong routes, and may drop some balls out of eagerness to squeeze them in or lack of knowledge of just how much pushing off the defender will be tolerated by the zebras.

On the other hand, Eli knows that Hixon will ALWAYS get where he needs to be, and will make the ordinary catches he needs to make.

Now, if your defense can be run upon that probably means opponents will do that and hope to dominate time-of-possession. If they are also scoring then that means that Eli will have fewer possessions and will need to make good use of every one of them. In that kind of situation you cannot afford to have a young receiver make a mistake that costs you a first down and a chance to extend a drive.

Ergo, go with the veteran whom Eli trusts and let the other candidates for the #3 receiver get an occasional opportunity but not be relied upon. Once you have a defense that makes plenty of stops and gets the ball back, and you have sufficient numbers of possessions, then you can take some chances developing wide receivers who may make mistakes but are great weapons once they have more experience toward the latter part of the season.

I agree with your logic but I just don’t think it depends on the DTs being healthy. I don’t think you can assume that without Rodgers and Canty our defense can’t stop the run. IMO we were going to have some issues stopping the run even if fully healthy at DT.

Coaches are, by nature, conservatives. They fear error more than they welcome rewrad for risk. Blackburn will know every set into which the Cowboys go, and will be able to read their offense pre-snap like a veteran. He will direct the linebackers into the correct gaps. He may make mistakes of commission but not of omission. He may get beaten occasionally, but he will know what Witten wants to do in every situation.

Herzlich may be a better athlete and may be smart enough to have started learning not only the defense, but Dallas’ offense in detail. But nothing beats experience against a team and knowing what they do and like to do. Blackburn has it, Herzlich doesn’t.

Like I said, that will be Herzlich’s job down the road, and he will get some series even in the opener. But I will be surprised if he plays the majority of snaps, or even a very substantial minority of them, against Dallas and in the next 2-3 games. Once Canty returns then they can risk Herzlich making some bad reads and judgments because there should be a pretty fine wall in front of him. Until then, though, I don’t think Coughlin and Fewell will want to take that risk.

I understand your overall idea and I think it may be true but I just don’t think that it depends on the DTs playing in front of the MLB.

If the DTs can dominate and stop the running game then you have much more flexibility on defense and can take more chances. In addition, the MIKE’s reads get easier because he can pretty much assume that the opponent won’t be running on third-and-four. Once Canty is playing with Joseph (or Austin) and Bernard is paired with one of the younger guys, Herzlich could make a few mistakes and it wouldn’t be fatal. If all we’ve got is Joseph and some big questions then the MIKE has to be where he has to be on EVERY play.

I don’t think you change how you play until you see how these guys perform. That’s a big assumption that we go from being able to stop the run cold to having a large issue. It may be right but I just think we have to see how we play first.

I bet it was assumed last year that without Smith and Hixon we wouldn’t be able to really air it out. Look at how that turned out. Maybe Hendricks is this year’s Ballard we just don’t know enough yet until we play some real games.

That’s right, but given that all the coaches will see before Dallas is a quarter played by the starters this week and a half next week, they HAVE to make some assumptions.

And by the way, that means that even if they sign a tackle tomorrow he will need time to learn the system and be ready to play. If Austin isn’t okay there’s a BIG problem here because both Hendricks and Kuhn might have to play in Week 1. If you don’t think that “gives Blackburn a big plus” (that is what I said) in the competition to start at the beginning of the season I don’t know what else I can say.

•  Willy Wonka says:

call me crazy but i just don’t see how we can’t pick up another rogers in coming week or so (with other teams having to cut ties with players). What makes you think that reese isn’t going to dumpster dive for the eclair like he has done every year for the past 3-4 years and instead the giants would adjust there plans on both offense and defense? The loss of canty hurts but isn’t permanent. Linval has proven to be reliable as has bernard. A seasoned vet cast off caught in a numbers game mixed in with our young guys can just as easily provide the same as rogers did. I also think you are overestimating blackburn

2.  JimStoll says:

wow, that was quick
    Rocky Bernard lives!

3.  Willy Wonka says:

Any decent vets in danger of get caught in the numbers game around the league, because that is the guy we are gonna be signing. I just looked at the nfl.com for free agents and none of em really seem like the guy maybe John Henderson, but I have a feeling our guy is still on a team somewhere

4.  BillyS says:

I feel really bad for Rogers. It’s one thing to get older and lose a step, but it’s another to get older and be hurt. Nobody wants to go out on that note. I didn’t think the injury would be serious enough to cost him a season. I originally heard of the clot and figured they’d put him on blood thinners and wind up getting it taken care of, but obviously it was a bit more complex than that. I wish him the best, but we’re definitely going to be looking around the waiver wire or making a small trade in order to get a vet DT who still has something left in the tank.

5.  jfunk says:

I agree with FF55 on the Blacburn/Herzlich issue.

The young Herzlich will have his plate full just trying to keep his own responsibilities straight. Blackburn has enough experience that he can actually spend some of his time worrying about “covering for” the mistake prone DTs that will be lined up in front of him.

6.  kujo says:

I think FF55 is WILDY overrating Blackburn, a guy who is substitute teaching and eating bon-bons for most of last season after being cut. He’s not the cerebral assassin that he is being portrayed as, or else he would have been the starter over Goff and other bums we’ve had around here in the last few years. Sure, he’s experienced, but let’s not make him out to be Urlacher or some other stud. He’s a decent player, a vet you want in a pinch. But there’s just no way that his “experience”–which amounts to time served as a backup linebacker to Antonio Pierce and Jon Goff– trumps what Herzlich is going to be giving us.

Besides which, I just don’t see the connection being made between this and the DTs.

Just one last comment here. I don’t want to be understood to be unhappy with the prospect of Hixon as the #3 receiver. In fact, his return at what appears to be full health is, as far as I’m concerned, very, very, good news. I have always liked this guy and think he can be a tremendous #3 wide receiver. He may not have Manningham’s elusiveness, but he does have about equal speed and he is a savvy, reliable, target whom Eli likes.

Frankly, at this point I would guess he actually is our third best wide receiver and would deserve that spot even if the coaches were not being conservative. I like the Randle pick, but suspect it will take until deep into the season before he can actually challenge Hixon for that role.

Jernigan and, I guess, Barden will have specialty roles. But I’m hoping Stanback keeps making enough impressive plays that they simply cannot cut him and they decide that they are done with Ramses. Doubt it happens, but I wouldn’t mind at all.