New York Giants Fall to Jacksonville Jaguars 32-31 in Preseason Opener

August 10th, 2012 at 11:03 PM

For the New York Giants, Friday marked day one of their Super Bowl title defense. Although the game itself didn't count, it was the first major step towards evaluating their current 90-man roster, and for many, a very important part of their offseason as they're currently on the fringe and looking to make an impression. Overall, the first and second teams looked like champions at times, but not everyone performed at such a high level as the remaining reserves, in Tom Coughlin's words, looked "sloppy."

Alas, the Jacksonville Jaguars roared back in the fourth quarter, took the lead on a two point conversion and the game ultimately ended on a sack following a botched call by the replacement referees. With the final score 32-31, the Giants will head into week two with a meaningless 0-1 record against the New York Jets. And hopefully, by then, the normal referees will be back by then as the NFL can't afford much more of this embarrassment.

The Positive:

• Adrian Tracy – Despite an offsides penalty, Tracy really took advantage of the absence of Justin Trattou, putting serious pressure on Jaguars QB’s, including a strip sack of Blaine Gabbert. It may only be one preseason game, but he went a long way in proving he belongs more than a Practice Squad spot. He arguably had one of the top two performances of the night.
  • Martellus Bennett – The Black Unicorn was brought in for his tremendous blocking ability, and he certainly lived up to that tonight. However, he also proved he’s an offensive threat, hauling in a couple long passes, including a touchdown from David Carr.
  • Mark Herzlich – Watch out, NFL. Herzlich is no longer just a success story; he’s developing into a hell of a linebacker. He looks quicker and better in pass coverage than a year ago, and his football IQ is through the roof. He blew up a run play on 2nd-and-short in the first quarter that showed exactly what a MLB is supposed to do. He carried that success throughout the rest of the game.
  • D.J. Ware – Say what you want about Ware, but he’s ready to make the most of his opportunity this year. He ran really hard on back-to-back plays, which led to a touchdown. He also leaped over a defender at one point for a few extra yards.
  • Isaiah Stanback – Stanback made an incredible, highlight reel-like one-handed touchdown grab on a pass from David Carr. He’s overlooked with the success of David Douglas in training camp, but fighting hard for the #6 WR spot. He certainly helped his cause.
  • Dwayne Hendricks – Former Giants 101 writer Simon GC said prior to tonight’s game that Hendricks would open a lot of eyes. He did. Like Tracy, he’s battling for a spot and made the most of his opportunities, blowing by offensive linemen on a number of occasions, putting a lot of pressure on the opposing QBs.
  • Osi Umenyiora – A healthy Chief is incredibly dangerous, and he appeared to be in mid-season form tonight. He is so quick off the ball it looks like he’s offsides every time, but he’s not … he’s just that much quicker to react than anyone else.

The Negative:

• Marvin Austin – In one of the first games Austin has played since 2009, he look quite rusty. He was swallowed up on a few plays, and driven to the sideline on a handful of others. He made next to no positive impact.
  • Greg Jones – With Herzlich playing so well and Chase Blackburn's familiarity with the team and defense, Jones needs to have a tremendous preseason or he runs the risk of being cut. He got off to a bad start tonight, looking more than just a little rough around the edges. He didn't seem to adjust well in certain situations, and seemed sluggish trying to change directions to keep up with plays.
  • Stevie Brown – Brown found himself in the wrong place several times in the third quarter, and the one time he was in the right spot, he was absolutely demolished on a touchdown run.
  • Referees – It doesn’t matter if they are the regular guys or replacements, they’re terrible. But these ones are just a little bit worse. They missed calls against both teams, including a blatant pass interference against Jerrel Jernigan on a would-be touchdown. They also called Hosley for a hold despite the fact that he was the one with the ball.
  • Brandon Mosley – Tom Coughlin said Mosley has been inconsistent in camp, and that continued tonight.
  • Jerrell Jernigan – Jernigan said earlier this offseason he had been working hard on improving his punt returns after a year of struggles, and then he promptly joined Hosley in muffing a punt. You can bet Tom Coughlin is not happy about that … at all. Here's to the health of Domenik Hixon.
  • Justin Tryon – Playing in his first game since breaking his arm a season ago, Tyron had a rough night, getting physically beaten to a few balls, and failing to drop deep enough into zone on a few other occasions.

The Mixed:

• Prince Amukamara – Prince looked rough on an early Jaguars drive, twice looking back at the quarterback and losing his man. The first time led to a third-down conversion, while the second led to a touchdown. He did however, make up for his mistakes later on by forcing a fumble which led to a Big Blue score.
  • Eli Manning – Overall, Manning looked like Manning, but he also forced a few bad throws that were nearly picked off. Not to worry, though. It’s Eli freakin Manning.
  • Andre Brown – Brown looked good on a few runs, but got blown up on a blitz in the third quarter, leading to a sack of David Carr. Then again, it was a direct result of a missed block by Mitch Petrus.
  • David Wilson – Fast. Very fast. He used that game-changing speed to break a few long runs, but then almost immediately followed them up by being tackled behind the line. However, one of those losses came as a result of a missed Bear Pascoe block.
  • Jayron Hosley – Hosley did have two good punt returns, but he went backwards at one point (made up for it with a long run) and then muffed a fair catch after taking his eye off the ball. On the defensive side of the ball, he looked quite good coming off the blitz.

The observations above are just quick hit pieces that will be rounded up and made whole tomorrow when Giants 101 offers a full game analysis. We know we missed some, so be sure to check back in about 18 hours!

Tags: Adrian Tracy, D.J. Ware, David Wilson, Dwayne Hendricks, Football, Isaiah Stanback, Jayron Hosley, Justin Tryon, Mark Herzlich, Martellus Bennett, Marvin Austin, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Prince Amukamara

46 Responses to “New York Giants Fall to Jacksonville Jaguars 32-31 in Preseason Opener”

1 2 3
  1.  Jackhajb says:

Positive

Will Hill – Looked very athletic, had a nice blitz. Looks like training camp skills translate to the game. Although he did get run over for TD.

2.  Jackhajb says:

Was David Douglas on the field tonight, don’t think I saw him out there.

3.  Remy says:

Pretty awkward game to watch that one.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

I had heard how bad the refs were, but I guess it’s one of those things you have to see to believe.

•  BLU-82 says:

I feel bad for the poor ****. Heck, I didn’t know that was a rule either (10 sec runoff), but you simply can’t trot these guys out every week like lambs to the slaughter. I’m not trying to give the regular ref’s any credit, but at least they have experience.

•  Nosh.0 says:

Yeah I felt bad for them too. Especially at the end of the game. That old dude looked terrified.

I’d like to believe that the NFL will bring the regulars back, but remember these are a new breed of NFL owners. Almost like drug dealers, they know that even with replacement refs they won’t lose one single viewer. They know what the demand is for their product and the caliber of Refs won’t change that. The regular officials better not push their luck because these owners won’t hesitate to replace them.

It really just depends how quickly the replacements can get the kinks out.

The refs were awful. But the biggest concern for me was Prince. He’s not getting it.

•  Remy says:

Hmm, he certainly looked hesitant. But I doubt he’s regressed.

•  Krow says:

A #1 pick who is not playing like one. Barden didn’t light it up either … despite a start.

Still … 1st pre-season game. Can’t really draw conclusions. But Barden is running out of chances.

•  G-MenFan says:

Agree 100%.
          Disappointed in:
          Prince, Barden, Jernigan.

Very encouraged by:
          Adrian Tracy, Marcus Kuhn, Mark Herlzich, Will Hill, Isiah Stanback(!), and I thought Sean Locklear did a very good job at the left tackle in place of Beatty. Very good pickup by Reese.

5.  Nosh.0 says:

The great white hype looked good out there tonight. Carl Banks seems to love him too. Remember he’s not just the White Hype because of his skin color, it’s also because he’s been anointed the with cliches like “hard worker” and “Mentally tough”. Make sure you include that when you guys mock my white hype references.

- I thought Eli looked great. That ball to Jurnigan in the end zone was beautiful.

- Cruz, typical beast even if he did drop that perfectly thrown ball. Osi was the most underrated player on our team in 2010. Cruz has taken that crown. I don’t think people realize how nice dude is.

- Apparently what I’m hearing about Wilson, and Dan had the qoute up in the game thread, is that he try’s to juke too much. ie the stuff that worked in college probably won’t fly in the NFL. Ask Reggie Bush. Although Reggie seemed to finally learn in his 4th season. Hopefully Wilson doesn’t take that long. And hopefully we can get him a number in the 20′s. Fast RB wearing #34 doesn’t work for me.

- Prince, woof. Dude is way more athletic, but TT could play football better than him the first day he ever stepped on an NFL practice field. Prince has a way to go.

- Tracy, very nice.

6.  BLU-82 says:

I am very excited for Bennett though. I imagine mentally, getting a TD and hauling in a long ball are going to do wonders for him. Wizard of Oz “There’s no place like home” moment for him.

•  Krow says:

Liked Bennett. Solid game.

OL played like crap … starters and subs. Average at best.

•  BLU-82 says:

Agreed on OL. Not much to say. I hope they improve.

I’d like to believe Wilson will have fewer whiffs behind the starters, but I have my doubts. Couldn’t tell if it was his fault or not, but I’ll give the first rounder the benefit of the doubt and call it the monstrosity of an O-line he ran behind.

Dwayne Hendricks (Kudos to Simon) and Kuhn looked terrific, as did Joseph. Very good game for our DT’s on the whole.

7.  Nosh.0 says:

Random thought, assuming Prince learns how to play corner this year, and KP leaves as he gets overpaid somewhere else, and TT shows the knee is durable, couldn’t TT play safety for us? We know he can tackle, he led our D in 2010, and he can cover good enough, certainly good enough for a safety. Wouldn’t he work there?

- Oh and DJ Ware is 100% starting the year as #2 RB on the depth chart. Unless there is an injury he starts the year ahead of Wilson. And I don’t even like Ware.

So let me get this straight Dan. When Simon says someone should be watched (Hendricks) and proves right, he’s to be praised. When I do it (Hill and Stanback) I’m obnoxious? Yeah, seems reasonable.

I’ve said many times that I think the purpose of any sports website should be for real fans to collectively become more informed about their team and the sport. I try to contribute opinions in that spirit, and also think it is HELPFUL for participants to at least informally “keep score” in regard to which opinions should carry more weight. Contrary to popular belief, while everyone is equally entitled to an opinion, all opinions are NOT equal.

I’m sure this post will result in a great deal of flame. I don’t care. I also won’t apologize for being pretty darned good at assessing this team and these players. I thought that was the point, and I thought I was contributing more than my fair share to Giants 101. I must have missed the memo that better described how to properly post one’s opinions.

•  Remy says:

Have a glass of water.

•  Nosh.0 says:

Or cranberry juice. I hear it helps with the cramps.

Sorry 55 you gave me the perfect pass, I had to 360 windmill it home.

•  Nosh.0 says:

To answer your question/comment 55, I, as well as most people on here do respect your opinion a lot. I’m sure if we took a vote as to what posters people looked to see comments from on this site, you’d be in the top 3. Angel Lugo would be last.

The primary reason you don’t get more props has nothing to do with being right or wrong, it’s just that, well, how do I put this……..

It would be a lot easier to be in your fan club if you weren’t the president of it.

•  BillyS says:

I for one will give him props for singling out Stanback. A few people were calling for Hill, not to mention Coughlin just recently praised him, so that one wasn’t exactly too surprising. Stanback having a nice game wasn’t at all expected, so props for that.

And that Adrian Tracy is much bigger than expected. He just looks like a big guy, plus he moved pretty quickly for a guy of his size. I was definitely impressed with him.

•  norm says:

In that spirit, I think it bears noting that on the final Hail Mary play of the game… with Jax sending eight defenders back into coverage and rushing only three… my boy Joel Reinders graciously stepped aside to allow one of the three pass rushers a clear path to Ryan Perrilloux for the game-ending sack.

I think this may have been my best G101 HOF pick since Stoney Woodson.

9.  Nosh.0 says:

Also glad to see the Swag Hosley nickname being kept alive. Keep driving it home boys. If he ends up being any good we’ll have to get t shirts made.

10.  Dirt says:

Biggest positive was omitted: No major injuries. The rest will sort itself out.

1 2 3