Former New York Giants WR Devin Thomas Announces Retirement

August 5th, 2012 at 1:09 PM

A few short months ago, wide receiver Devin Thomas was living the fantasy of many. Prior to the NFC Championship game against the San Francisco 49ers, he had a dream that he would make a big play to help propel the New York Giants into Super Bowl XLVI. That dream became a reality when he picked up a fumble by 49ers return man Kyle Williams (stripped by LB Jacquian Williams) and set-up the game winning field goal.

Unfortunately, the Giants would not re-sign Thomas in the offseason, and he instead decided to sign with the Chicago Bears. He got his ring, but his journey in New York was over.

Now, after struggling at Bears training camp, Thomas' journey in the NFL is also over. The five-year veteran announced via twitter that he is retiring from the National Football League.

"I have decided to retire from the NFL," Thomas tweeted. "God has blessed me with achieving a childhood dream. I want to give back to my hometown and coach/mentor kids so they can reach their own. One love."

Originally drafted in the second-round of the 2008 NFL Draft by the Washington Redskins, Thomas never lived up to his potential at the wide receiver position, but developed into a standout special teams player.

In 20 regular season games with the Giants, Thomas returned 25 kicks for 607 yards, hauled in three passes for 37 yards, made eight special teams tackles and forced two fumbles. He also had the aforementioned career-game during the NFC Championship in which he picked up two loose balls, each leading to key scores.

"I mean, you know, football it's just a game. I enjoyed playing it for awhile. I had my greatest moments obviously with the Giants. I just felt my spirit going other ways. I just felt it was a good time to let the game go. I think this is a perfect time. I won a championship. That's the whole purpose of me playing the game anyway…I accomplished my childhood dream. I couldn't care less about personal goals as far as Pro Bowls," Thomas told Ebenezer Samuel.

In addition to his time with the Giants, Redskins and Bears, Thomas spent a portion of the 2010 season with the Carolina Panthers.

Tags: Chicago, Chicago Bears, Devin Thomas, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, San Francisco, San Francisco 49ers

14 Responses to “Former New York Giants WR Devin Thomas Announces Retirement”

Sorry to hear about Andy Reid’s son. I want to beat Philly as bad as anyone but that’s real life. Smh

I’m shocked Devin Thomas is retiring because he seems good enough earn a few mil a year for a couple year as special teamer. Kind of odd but I guess money doesn’t motivate everyone.

On to Giant stuff. Great news on Beatty, he’s needed to stabilize our OL position wise. Injury wise is pretty good news all around with the only concerns appearing to be TT and Canty. The practice reports on so many players is positive.

However, the one piece of injury news that really is troubling is Canty. I’m begining to think he might remain on PUP for the first 6 games. I rather have him 100% for 10 games than rush him back in any way. Plus if he’s not going to be healthy until game 4 or 5 then having an extra roster spot might be better anyways.

This is why these reports on Rodgers are key. Benard was very good in rotation last year but do I trust him to start? How about Austin? While Rodgers is well past his prime I still think a fully motivated version of him is our best option to start on early downs with Joseph if Canty misses time.

Blackburn better get heathy quick or he will lose his job, Herzlich just seems to have a lot of momentum.

2.  Jason McEwan says:

Sounds like Devin is worried about being cut and decided to preempt the coaching staff.

I’m glad he had a moment. His play was huge for us last year. I hope he has a good life outside of football.

4.  Terrence T says:

sad to hear about reid’s son and thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family…
    can someone post the training camp schedule? im trying to go up this week.
    love what im hearing about herz. this guy was a projected 1st round pick before his condition. he has a TON of potential. what a steal.
    i just was informed by a buddy that on nfl network pregame…. the question was asked if eli was a hof’er…. everyone, (steve, rich, michael, deion) all said yes…. the hater marshall was the one who said no. anyone hear and what do you think

5.  Dirt says:

Not gonna lie: I’m amped for this HOF game

6.  Dirt says:

Dude, 5 days from now, I’ll be commenting on G101 on a Game Day thread! Can’t believe that football season is upon us!

•  kujo says:

Right there with you man.

Just realized that I’ll be off work and home in time to settle in for the game on Friday. Pretty stoked about that.

7.  GIANTT says:

Just watching the Olympics
    First , the girl who won the 400 meters , Richards Ross is Aaron Ross ‘ wife . He was in the stands for the prelims but I didnt see him there for the final

Also , can someone explain to me how a country with a population of 2.9 million
    comes up with training partners who absolutely obliterate the 100 meters race ?
    And Bolt does it in 2 olympics ? Remembering Olympics of the past most sprinters were at their peak for one olympics only then they faded . Look at the build of the kid who came in second , nice muscles . It may be sour grapes but I find it almost a fairy tale and I dont believe in fairy tales

Aaron was there fot the finals, he was there with the rest of the family.

Part luck and desire. Sprinting is jamica’s number 1 sport so children grow up wanting to be sprinters. Just like other smaller countries in other sports when talent is identified early full focus is made into making these athletes sprinters. Whereas our althetes like Gatlin who won bronze spent years playing football (played several years at florida). If he had solely trained to be a spinter all these years he’s probably just a little better.

But then you get lucky when you marriage desire and a once in a generation talent like Bolt you have the best of both worlds.

•  Krow says:

The same reason that Chinese swimmer girl came from nowhere to set a world record.

At the highest level of many individual sports there are two groups of athletes … those who have been caught using PEDS … and those who haven’t been caught.