New York Giants, David Diehl Release Statements Regarding DWI Charge

June 11th, 2012 at 8:23 PM
By Paul Tierney

'David Diehl' photo (c) 2006, Alexa - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ Last night, New York Giants offensive linemen David Diehl was arrested on suspicion of drunk driving. This morning, Diehl was formally charged with DWI

The following statement was released by Diehl via Twitter a short time ago:

"I've worked hard during my career to set a positive example, and yesterday I fell far short of this standard. I apologize to my family, my fans, the New York Giants, and the NFL. I made a poor decision that I sincerely regret, and, as always, take full responsibility for my actions."

Diehl is a ten year veteran out of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He made the Pro Bowl in 2010 and has been the teams' most versatile offensive linemen over the last several years because of his ability to play both guard and tackle positions.

The New York Giants released the following statement regarding Diehl's arrest:

"Obviously we are aware of the situation, although we have not yet had a chance to discuss it with David. Since it is an ongoing legal matter, we will refrain from comment at this time, although we will say that David has been an outstanding representative of this organization for the past 10 years, and nobody knows more than David does what is expected of our players both on and off the field.”

Diehl is subject to the NFL Personal Conduct Policy as a result of his actions. However, because he is a first time offender, a suspension is unlikely.

Tags: David Diehl, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL

11 Responses to “New York Giants, David Diehl Release Statements Regarding DWI Charge”

1.  kujo says:

Inb4 someone says something that gets Benton’s panties in a twist again…

2.  Dirt says:

Paul,

While I still think you’re out of your mind with your opinions on Osi, I can appreciate your effort in holding down the fort around here. Kudos

•  Paul Tierney says:

Dirt,

While I still think your out of your mind on your opinions on Osi, I appreciate the recognition and its my pleasure to bring you all your daily Giants fix.

In reference to the Benard re-signing I think some posters are addressing their concerns the wrong place. I hope I’m wrong but I think the signing could be signs of concern about Canty. I think even if we have concerns about Austin, re-signing Rocky wouldn’t be the answer. The fact is Austin is guaranteed a roster spot at either the 3rd or 4th DT. I guess the other possibility is if the minor injury that Rodgers was sitting out with is more of a concern than we were told. But either way it has no influence on Austin’s roster spot.

The Ballard news doesn’t surprise me other than we cut him and didn’t IR him. His injuries considering he was a borderline athlete does make his return questionable for even 2013. I hope we do re-sign him and give him a chance next year. But I don’t think he’s certain at all to make our 2013 roster even if re-signed.

•  kujo says:

…why a concern about Canty, coming off of his first truly healthy and dominant season as a Giant?

•  Eric S says:

I’m guessing Goat is referencing Canty’s offseason surgery and subsequent rehab. I’ve heard nothing to indicate that Canty won’t be ready for training camp though. To me the Bernard signing is insurance if Rogers flames out or we have a spate of injuries, as that is our m.o.

•  norm says:

Yeah, I didn’t get that one myself.

Look; I know it’s the heart of the offseason. We’re all bored; starved for any substantive football news. So I totally understand the tendency to try and drum up interesting storylines to discuss.

But let’s keep it real, OK? Sometimes a signing is just a signing; no need to search for deeper meanings. Bringing in Bernard is not a referendum on Austin or Canty. A roster spot opened up and the Giants opted to bring in a veteran who knows the system and who may ultimately prove to be better veteran depth than Rogers, who at this point is much more of an unknown quantity. And if Bernard’s presence winds up lighting a fire under Austin’s butt, then so much the better.

4.  Nosh.0 says:

I think Goat and Eric hit it on the head. The Bernard signing is more about uncertainty with Shaun Rogers and his elbow injury.

Also, Norm, heck of a write up this morning about drunk driving. Not just what you said but extremely well written. No wasted words. Well done.

Since we’re talking about drinking and driving …

I have no problem at all with bringing the full force of the law down on anyone who drives drunk and causes harm or damage. None. Diehl crashed his car. He deserves what he gets.

But … I have grave concerns over allowing the government to roust citizens at random who are exhibiting no illegal behavior … in the complete absence of any ‘probable cause’ … then to examine them against their will … and finally to charge them with a crime. And that’s exactly where most DUIs come from.

It rubs up against some very basic freedoms. For me it crosses an important line.

This is America. If there’s no reasonable evidence to suspect that I’m committing some sort of crime then I want the government to leave me alone.

6.  romu says:

Any feedback on section 245a at PSL Stadium ?
    (or other similar sections)