New York Giants Waive Chad Jones, Sign Safety Will Hill

May 14th, 2012 at 3:55 PM

The remarkable comeback story of LSU safety Chad Jones hit a bit of a snag on Monday as the New York Giants announced they have waived the defensive back following a failed physical. In his place, they have signed safety Will Hill, the high school superstar who spent his college years at the University of Florida.

“We consider Chad to be part of the Giants family, and we'll continue to work with him in his rehab," General Manager Jerry Reese said. "As we've said since his accident, we're thankful he is alive and able to lead a normal life."

In the press release sent out to the New York media, Jones' agent also alluded to a "minor setback" that will prevent him from a "full recovery" for another few months. They remain hopeful that he will someday be able to return to the football field.

“Chad had a severe injury to his left leg, involving a complex tibial fracture with associated injury to muscle, nerves, and vascular structures,” said Dr. Scott Rodeo, a Giants associate team physician. “This type of injury is often limb threatening, and can sometimes require amputation. He has made a remarkable recovery to date, with successful salvage of the leg. However, at this time he has residual sensory loss, muscle weakness, and tenuous soft tissue coverage in the involved lower leg. The resultant functional impairment precludes his ability to perform physically at the level required for professional football.”

Jones nearly lost his life in a single-car accident in New Orleans on June 25th, 2010. He has since wowed the medical community as he was not only able to avoid amputation of his badly damaged leg, but was recently able to run a 4.84 40-yard dash.

Since the NFL moved to an 90-man offseason roster, there are no longer any exemptions for non-football related injuries. As a result, Chad Jones' release is official and he is now a free agent.

Hill, meanwhile, was a high school standout who ESPN, Rivals.com and Scout.com all ranked as top safety recruit in the country following his senior year. Despite some solid years at the University of Florida, Hill never lived up to his immense hype and went undrafted in the 2011 NFL Draft. There were also some questions about his character, as his Twitter account was once used to post some heinous remarks and photos that put a strain on his marriage. He remains insistent that he had nothing to do with those tweets and that his account was hacked.

Hill was with the Giants last week for rookie mini-camp.

Tags: Chad Jones, Football, LSU, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Will Hill

19 Responses to “New York Giants Waive Chad Jones, Sign Safety Will Hill”

Wow!

“Hit a bit of a snag”? C’mon Dan.

Unfortunately, those of us who stayed steadfast in our belief that Chad Jones would not be able to make this roster have been proved right. I hope this young man moves forward and can keep getting healthier, but I doubt he ever plays more than a possible token snap in the NFL.

And just for the record, I also think Clint Sintim’s horrible injury also means he’s done. I’m still hoping Brown’s recovery proves miraculous and he can come back from rupturing his Achilles tendon, but I’m a bit skeptical about that too, although not nearly as much as I was about Jones.

Chad should just go on with his life grateful that he’s alive and in one piece (and was covered by the Giants in regard to care and rehabilitation) and probably able to do a lot of exciting things now that he has proved able to overcome severe adversity. In his case not being able to play football doesn’t even approach tragedy.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Mark my words, he will play again.

I hope you’re right, but you DID insist he would make the regular roster this season. You’v e been way too optimistic about his recovery.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

And until an unforeseen setback, I was right on the money with everything I thought was going to happen with this guy. Not the one to pat myself on the back, but my timeline on Chad was spot on until then. He will play again. Maybe even this season.

So what’s the story with Will Hill? Did he flame out at Florida for any particular reason or is he just another kid who found that moving up one big level of play made him rather ordinary?

•  Samardzija says:

LoL seriously unaware?

Cliffs: Million Dollar athlete, Not even a dollar worth of brains..

Wow, I had no idea. What are they thinking signing this idiot? Add him to the signings that really look like a sea change for franchise values that I find disturbing. Do they really think our veterans can get through to kids like this one? And Jantzen and Collins are certainly not anyone’s idea of a great citizen either.

Jantzen can play. That’s pretty obvious. But these kinds of personalities rarely really change. The Giants thought they could fence in Burress. That didn’t work, although he gave them two seasons of very good football. Does Reese think Coughlin will tolerate players who will make Burress look like Citizen of the Year?

4.  stuh says:

Wasn’t Jones a baseball player? Maybe he can make a come back in baseball. He won’t have to take hits on his leg.
    As for Hill when will these idiots forget about Tweetng all the time it can only cause problems.

Before anyone tells me that bringing in people like Hill and Collins are no-risk deals since they’re guaranteed nothing and probably won’t be seen come August, here’s what I worry about. Take a kid like Holsey who has a bit of a rep as being a “difficult” kid. You want him surrounded by all the great guys on the Giants. But by bringing in Hill for a shot the signal you send is “If you can play you can stay.” That is not something I want any players on this team to believe. One of the reasons it has always been a pleasure to root for the Giants is that, with very, very, few exceptions, they have been good guys (the one big one who wasn’t was LT, but at least what he was doing was only hurting himself and he was, in fact, a great teammate). I’d hate to see that change. I want championships as badly as anyone. But I also want to feel great about rooting for this team.

You know … I like angry, aggressive types. And it doesn’t bother me if they grew up tough. But I don’t like dirtbags … I don’t like sleazeballs.

There’s a huge difference.

And … while no one should be surprised about Chad … it’s still a sad happening.

F55- I think you have to realize that all these “bad guy” type players are long shots to make the team. Even Jackson is a pretty long shot. I think it’s different if all 3 of these guys make the 53 man roster. But if one like Jackson makes the roster or PS then we should be fine.

I know that, but I’m still surprised that we have three of them around. Of course they are all on a short leash and probably competing for a chance to make the practice team. If Jackson can make that team and keep his nose clean for an entire year + then maybe he deserves a real chance to compete. But he should be under careful scrutiny at all times.

“Chad had a severe injury to his left leg, involving a complex tibial fracture with associated injury to muscle, nerves, and vascular structures,” said Scott Rodeo, a Giants associate team physician, in a statement released by the club. “This type of injury is often limb threatening, and can sometimes require amputation. He has made a remarkable recovery to date, with successful salvage of the leg. However, at this time he has residual sensory loss, muscle weakness, and tenuous soft tissue coverage in the involved lower leg. The resultant functional impairment precludes his ability to perform physically at the level required for professional football.”

In a statement released by the team, Rocky Arceneaux, Jones’ agent, said the former third-round pick “is experiencing a minor setback and we expect a full recovery within a few months.”

Hill, who starred at St. Peter’s Prep in Jersey City, is a gifted 6-1 safety who has been surrounded by some controversy. He was undrafted last year after leaving Florida following his junior season as teams shied away from him in part because of off-the-field issues reportedly involving marijuana use and alleged controversial tweets on his Twitter account. He also has been arrested for driving with a suspended license.

“When I was in college, I was the No. 1 athlete coming out and then going straight to a team that won the national championship, that had the possibility to win another one, it was just rock star status basically,” Hill said last weekend at rookie camp. “My head got big and I did let my gifts get away and start acting like a fool, basically. So I did waste my talent in some aspects.”

“It’s been a hard time, many nights crying, many night just wondering, ‘When is this going to happen?’” he continued. “But people were like, ‘Look, you’re a good athlete. Just work on being a better person.’ And that’s something I needed to do. I needed to calm down and sit down, and that’s what I did.”